Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WFT signs QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal worth $10 million!... Oh, Oh, Oh Fitzmagic... ya knooowwwww!

zCommander

I like Fitz a lot but you guys act like we just signed Arron Rodgers for Christs sake. Fitz has been in the league 17 years and he has never been to the playoffs. I think he has a loosing record as a QB but I am not sure. Yes I like the signing if it saves us money over Smith who I was never crazy about and I think he is just as good but do you really think he is beating Brady in the playoffs? Fine he is a stop gap until we get a franchise guy but all the excitement?

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I like Fitz a lot but you guys act like we just signed Arron Rodgers for Christs sake. Fitz has been in the league 17 years and he has never been to the playoffs. I think he has a loosing record as a QB but I am not sure. Yes I like the signing if it saves us money over Smith who I was never crazy about and I think he is just as good but do you really think he is beating Brady in the playoffs? Fine he is a stop gap until we get a franchise guy but all the excitement?

I think is is just because he was the best left without selling the farm.  I don't think anyone mistakes him for Aaron or Brady.  However, he has improved in his latter years.  He is also highly intelligent, articulate, and just damn funny.  He is a just a fun football guy and always gives his all.  Ultra competitive.  Just a likeable guy.  Watch one of the interviews he has given.  Also, his teamates love him.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I understood your point. Mine is you could have taken those same people and they would have had the same response as recently as 4 months ago.  

Yep.  But perhaps not as easily because at least we had a national star for a change.  And Rivera has some gravitas, etc. 

Their point wasn't centered on teams that are per se are just bad.  Their point centered on teams who were boring-no buzz, yawn.  Teams that national audiences didn't care about -- no stars, no winning, no buzz. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Listened to Keim's podcast.  He said he talked to a number of agents and they love Fitzpatrick and what he brings to help WRs.  He said one of the agents told him previously he was advising against sending his receiving clients to the WFT because of the Qb situation -- but did a 180 once he heard they signed Fitzpatrick.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What have been the reasons he's been benched in all those seasons? It's an honest question because I don't know. But clearly if a guy can't stay on the field for various teams and coaches, it tells us something, right?

Because he was a stop gap on crappy teams with crappy coaches trying to grew a younger QB.

Which is hinda what he'll have to do here, play QB with two young guys behing him, maybe three if we draft one.

2 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

He's fun to watch.

Alex is a great QB, but he's boring to watch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

He's improved as he's gotten older, his own narrative and the stats back that up.  He brings swagger to that spot we haven't had in a long time.   

No one is saying the dude is Aaron Rodgers.  But this isn't like the Jay 2015-2017 run which had a good offense with a garbage defense.  This team has a defense that might be the best we've had since 1991.  If you can just make this offense good -- doesn't have to be great -- this team can be a force to be reckoned with.

Also, we've not just been losers over the years but especially during the Bruce Allen era we've been boring losers.  You now got a national marquee player in Chase Young, a talked up D line unit, and Fitz for his faults is one of the more entertaining QBs in the league.   We also have a rare arguably top 10 WR in Terry who is young and an emerging young RB. 

You got a bunch of comments like below from people who don't even like this team.  It got me jazzed.  If it doesn't move the needle with you, cool, but why care if others are jazzed about it?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, Fitzpatrick isn't the second coming in terms of QB's but like SIPS mentioned, our defense can, and has, carried games for this team just last year. Now throw in a QB who will give our playmakers more of an opportunity for big plays, just might be enough to push the offense over the bar. 

Alex was fine, didn't really turn it over but rarely risked it for a big play. I think McLaurin had some better games with Haskins because Haskins dared to throw it downfield to give McLaurin a chance. 

Fitzpatrick loves to do it too but with a more prepared game plan and work ethic. I'll take those odds over preservative QB play, especially with the speed from both reveivers. 

Now, will Fitzpatrick throw a ball so egregious that you scream at the TV "Really man, come on!!!" You betcha but he will throw a 45 yard bomb the next drive that will land. I trust the defense to help make some more stops and if use a high pick on a LB, we will be set. 

If anything, it will be exciting football. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Taylor Heinicke almost beat Brady in the playoffs. He can't be worse than Taylor. Just saying. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

You’re right in the sense that he’s a stopgap, he’s not a top notch qb or our franchise qb.  The flip side to that is our qb play was pretty abysmal last year and Fitz represents a significant upgrade.  

As to the playoffs and W/L record - it’s a valid point, but he’s been on mostly awful teams (which I’m proud to say the WFT is not).  

Is he going to outduel Brady?  Probably not.  I don’t think that’s the best recipe for beating Brady though (as the NYG showed way back when).  

Bottom line, Fitzpatrick was (IMO) our best option at qb - low cost, zero draft picks, solid player - and we should be glad we got him.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Fitz will be big boost to this offense.

But after glancing at just how extremely brutal that our 2021 schedule will be, I am now on the verge of rescinding my 17-0 prediction.

Well yeah, 17-0 is the regular season, then get a bye week for Wild Card Weekend, then 2 more wins for Divisional and Championship Weekends...then the Super Bowl Victory. So you meant 20-0. 

Easy mistake, don't beat yourself up over it. 

compete david oliver GIF by AsmodeeGames

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Under "Good Fits" from Free Agency, Cynthia Frelund has us #1.

x7qlsthltbhurku3fnel.jpg

Good fits

Washington Football Team

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Contract details: One year, $10 million.

Next Gen Stats shows that, on pass attempts of 10 air yards or less with the Dolphins last season, Fitzpatrick had a 78.6 percent completion rate, nine touchdowns and no interceptions, with a passer rating of 110.1, third-best in the NFL. Washington, meanwhile, averaged the fewest air yards per attempt in 2020 (6.2). On deep throws (those of 20-plus air yards), Fitzpatrick's per-attempt mark of 20.8 yards topped all QBs last season (among those who attempted at least 100 passes). With the addition of the versatile Curtis Samuel to a pass-catching corps that already featured the ultra-productive Terry McLaurin, Fitzpatrick's in good shape to outperform his salary or possibly provide a critical bridge for a young QB -- or both. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-free-agency-three-good-analytic-fits-and-three-head-scratchers

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 3

He's going to throw some INT's because he's a gunslinger.  I hope he is smart about situational football and can bring some increased maturity to his game.  Stats are showing this is his trend the last couple of years.  It matters where and when he throws those INT's.  This should be the difference between him keeping the QB1 role or not, should he earn it for Week 1. 

On 3/19/2021 at 3:51 PM, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I don't really think anyone here has claimed that Fitz is anywhere close to the Rodgers level. He's a good but not great or elite QB, but he's also a gunslinger who will give guys chances to make plays. Sometimes that will end up hurting with an INT, but as others have noted, he's playing the best football of his career over the last couple of years.

As far as the Alex Smith comparison...I don't really even see the point. As of now, Alex Smith can barely play the game and clearly teams know it since he hasn't been getting any interest it seems. His comeback from injury was incredible but to pretty much anyone watching him last season it was clear that he's done.

You're also comparing radically different playing styles. Smith and Fitz are literally polar opposites. Smith is probably one of the most conservative QBs in recent NFL history and Fitz is a notorious gunslinger who lets it rip and takes chances.

• Like 4

I don’t know if the NFL or PFF charts this, but I’d be curious to see where Fitzpatrick ranks in high difficulty throw attempts. He’s gotta be top 5 at least because he will test some of the tightest windows. 

That’s where his interceptions come from in most cases. It’s not like he doesn’t know what the defense is doing and making Haskins like mistakes. I really appreciate how he will attack all parts of the field and will go through his progressions with speed and pull the trigger decisively. Him and Heinicke are a pretty good pair stylistically speaking. Shouldn’t be much too change in the playbook when going from one to the other. I also like how he provides a major boost to the confidence of his receivers. He could be huge for AGG and Cam’s development. 

Edited by Fresh8686

4 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I don’t know if the NFL or PFF charts this, but I’d be curious to see where Fitzpatrick ranks in high difficulty throw attempts. He’s gotta be top 5 at least because he will test some of the tightest windows. 

That’s where his interceptions come from in most cases. It’s not like he doesn’t know what the defense is doing and making Haskins like mistakes.

Not sure, but we're upgrading our receivers, so hopefully that means they'll get more space, better hands, and ball awarenes, etc. so hopefully that compensates for some passes that may be a little off the mark.

Can you imagine Dinner Party night, when the Fitzpatricks and the Heinickes join together and bring a dish.

Irish and German, means Soda Bread and Bratwurst.

Mmmm

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 9:49 AM, Wayne_Millner said:

In Fitzpatrick’s bouncing around career, has he ever had an opportunity on a team with talent on either side of the ball?

Not saying Washington is loaded, but the defense is a LB away from being elite and the offense really just lacks (outside of QB) a #2WR, #2TE, and maybe a LT (along with O-Line depth) from being at least solid. 

Saying if he wasn’t asked to be Fitzmagic all the time, maybe he wouldn’t be Fitztragic some of the time. He’s a smart dude, that’s now seen a lot of football. Like the post above, I also was thinking about how Joey T did it for us later in his career. But, he was set up with a strong run game, playmakers, and a great defense built around the D-Line. 

He was throwing the ball to DeSean Jackson,  Mike Evans and OJ Howard in Tampa.