Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

Taylor Heinicke was a 4 year starter and a really good player at ODU.  For his first two years as a starter, ODU was FCS.   For his junior year, I think ODU did a transition year and then his senior year than were FBS.  His numbers went down with the improvement in competition but he still put up good numbers and his team was usually at a talent disadvantage overall at the FBS level.

The announcer made a mistake when he said he was the QB of ODU when they beat VT.  Heincke last season in college was 2014 and ODU didn't beat VT until 2018 so there was a four year gap.

Very good player in college though.  Didn't have a big arm or anything to get NFL scouts excited but the fact that its his 6th year in the NFL tells you that he can do some things well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

Hey @max21 heard from your boy at all??

He won't talk to us peasants anymore.

Now that he knows someone famous and has their cell phone number, he himself is too famous for us 😛

4 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I’d lean toward going with the hot hand. 

And the warm LEG 😛

18 hours ago, ananoman said:

Honestly in rewatching the 4th quarter Heinicke played like a stud.  The receivers let him down.  If he had a decent corp of receivers catching the ball the WFT would have won that game

If not for that ticky-tack holding call that negated his first TD he may have pulled off the upset.  WFT had momentum and Carolina was just holding on.  

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

If not for that ticky-tack holding call that negated his first TD he may have pulled off the upset.  WFT had momentum and Carolina was just holding on.  

I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but the NFL needed us to lose that game to increase TV audience "interest" in Week 17 in a bunch of key markets.

I'm not saying that they intentionally made ticky-tack calls which negated either points (eg. forward progress, ball blown dead) or massive shifts of momentum, but they did have incentive to do so.

• Like 3

On 12/28/2020 at 5:33 PM, Califan007 said:

Whaddaya think?..Cowboys fans debating whether Smiff or Heineken poses more of a threat to their playoff hopes:

If Heinicke starts on Sunday if we win, we are done

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/if-heinicke-starts-on-sunday-if-we-win-we-are-done.471214/

Every one of our divisional foes should have a resident ES member, on their team's forum, just to set them straight.

I nominate you @Califan007 , to represent ES on the Cowboys Zone.

Heineke To The Redwolves !

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Hey @max21 heard from your boy at all??

Some brief texting after the game, didn’t want to bother him too much. He hasn’t dated my girlfriends friend for a while now so I haven’t talked to him much at all for the last couple years so I don’t want to come off as a super weird fanboy now even though I really am 😂, he dated her while he was on the Vikings. I did text him during the game and said “yo Sims dropped that ****” 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, max21 said:

Some brief texting after the game, didn’t want to bother him too much. He hasn’t dated my girlfriends friend for a while now so I haven’t talked to him much at all for the last couple years so I don’t want to come off as a super weird fanboy now even though I really am 😂, he dated her while he was on the Vikings. I did text him during the game and said “yo Sims dropped that ****” 

Love it! He say anything worth passing along? About how he felt or vibes / support from the other guys or anything? Obv not trying to blow up your spot (you can PM if you'd rather), just curious bc I love the guy's story and I am in his corner!!

He’s not alone among those with ties to Old Dominion cheering for Heinicke’s success. Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Zach Pascal, a sophomore there when Heinicke threw for 3,476 yards as a senior in 2016, said by phone Wednesday: “Oh I’m rooting for him all the way. Go Washington!”

“He can really play,” Pascal said. “He’s a great quarterback. He can really dice you up. He’s a competitor, and I know he’s going to do his best to go out there and win.”

Heinicke lost his only previous start two seasons ago for Carolina, under Ron Rivera, Washington’s first-year coach who dialed him up because of his familiarity with offensive coordinator Scott Turner. But he impressed Rivera and Turner by going 12 of 19 for 137 yards and a touchdown pass in relief of since-cut 2019 first-round pick Dwayne Haskins in a loss to the Panthers last week.

“He did a nice job of kind of seeing some open holes, pushing the ball down the field a little bit,” Turner said. “The good thing was the ball came out on time. When he had the ability to extend some plays, he did that and we moved the ball.”

Brian Scott was watching and saw the same quarterback he remembers coaching as the offensive coordinator at Old Dominion. Heinicke called out changes at the line of scrimmage, completed short passes and took a few shots, including a 29-yard touchdown pass to J.D. McKissic.

“The way he came in the game and played, you could tell he knew this offense,” McKissic said. “You could tell that he understands the system. He’s a confident guy.”

Scott, now an assistant at Towson, texted Heinicke after the game with a three-word message: “You’re not done.”

“He’s still got football left in him,” Scott said. “Frustrating to see sometimes you’re looking at other guys in the NFL and you’re going, ‘Man, this kid, he’s better than him.’ But I get it. It’s how the business works. Sometimes you never know when your opportunity’s going to come knocking. So proud. When he goes in, so proud of him.”

Heinicke was proud of how Washington played in the fourth quarter, getting down the field with minimal mistakes. Six years since they last played together, Pascal could still remember Heinicke changing the play call and running something different “because he was that advanced and that smart when it came to football.”

That was on display like he never stepped away from the game.

“To having limited reps since he’s been there and to go out and play the way he did, I thought was really impressive, ” said Smith, Washington’s starter who has missed the past two games with a strained right calf. “You could see a lot of that playmaking ability out there.”

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-sports-alex-smith-football-taylor-heinicke-86b96875e81fa3f80a98ee983fa84a03

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Love it! He say anything worth passing along? About how he felt or vibes / support from the other guys or anything? Obv not trying to blow up your spot (you can PM if you'd rather), just curious bc I love the guy's story and I am in his corner!!

Nothing even worth mentioning, essentially just a couple thank yous. If I hear anything cool I’ll let the boys know 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heinicke was very good in relief, I just don't want to become too intoxicated with the idea that "knows the offense well" translates into being a good QB automatically.  I am not going to argue with my own eyes, he definitely looked good in that very small sample size, but that is still all it was, a very small sample size. If he starts and/or plays Sunday I will definitely be rooting for a hero's performance.

• Like 4

So I watched the last quarter on MASN's rewind.  The Panthers went after Heinicke early.  They sent 6 on a blitz - Heinicke threw a 40 yard strike dropped by Sims near the goal line.  A bit later they sent 5 and Heinicke dropped a swing pass to Gibson in stride on the right for 7.  Then they sent 5 and Heinicke hit Cam Sims on a curl to the left for 10 yards.  He was unrattled on all those plays, and the Panthers abandoned the blitz.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I boldly predict if Mike Bragg Heins starts we will score on our opening drive for the first time this season.  Philly is not easy to run against but Gibson ain't easy to tackle so I kind of see a push there. Our O may come down to trickery, or more likely #4 making plays.

OT I am hoping Zdeno Chara TE bumps Sprinkle to inactive.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

So I watched the last quarter on MASN's rewind.  The Panthers went after Heinicke early.  They sent 6 on a blitz - Heinicke threw a 40 yard strike dropped by Sims near the goal line.  A bit later they sent 5 and Heinicke dropped a swing pass to Gibson in stride on the right for 7.  Then they sent 5 and Heinicke hit Cam Sims on a curl to the left for 10 yards.  He was unrattled on all those plays, and the Panthers abandoned the blitz.

Also Heinicke was going through his progressions, had a great feel for the pocket, made good decisions to use his legs and displayed the best mobility we've seen probably all season while doing so, and played CONFIDENT. The TD to Logan that was called back is a great example - the pocket collapsed a bit, he bails left to extend the play, looks left to draw defenders that side and then looks back right, sees Thomas and sidearms a throw into a very tight window and hits Thomas right in the chest. Gutsy play!!!

I get it was just one quarter. But I don't see why anybody would write him off when he delivered what I feel like is by far the best quarter of QB play we've seen all season. He threw like 2 bad balls from my count, and the play where he slipped was obviously a bad mistake. But given that this dude came in essentially totally cold and was out of football for a while, the fact he was going through progressions & using his legs & had good pocket awareness & generally smooth mechanics & great confidence throwing into tight windows and on timing plays... I'm enamored with the guy! He seems like he has the tools, man. I think he deserves to be in the mix at the very least. And if he plays against Philadelphia and does well, maybe we really don't need to overpay for a QB (rookie or vet) knowing this guy is in the QB room. But wtf do I know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I got a new HTTR :

Heinicke

To

The

Rescue

After reading the latest article on the status of Smith, I feel almost certain that he will not play.

Heinicke could be our "Nick Foles", and Smiff playing the role of Carson Wentz, all the way to the SB

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1