Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

This doesn’t sound to me like Smith will start...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/12/30/alex-smith-terry-mclaurin-injuries/

4 minutes ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

I didn't know much about this kid, but it's sounding like he is very athletic. Here are some things the coach said about him.

He's really a good athlete. He wasn't invited to the Combine, but if he would've been, I think he would've finished in the top-three in all those athletic categories, whether it's 40-yard dash, broad jump, vertical jumps. https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/these-quotes-taylor-heinicke-may-your-confidence-potential-starter?fbclid=IwAR18WS1CNGu7Rl81H36Rn5rdMj-L6EWtFyOtl7DZ1sZv0H9Ys5nFrrY12z4

No doubt that he’s athletic.  I saw that first hand during his college days.  While it doesn’t hurt, athleticism doesn’t necessarily translate into quality QB play.  

Edited by Catatonic

3 minutes ago, Catatonic said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/12/30/alex-smith-terry-mclaurin-injuries/

No doubt that he’s athletic.  I saw that first hand during his college days.  While it doesn’t hurt, athleticism doesn’t necessarily translate into quality QB play.  

Designed runs FTW.   Hell Read Option got RG3 into the playoffs.  Hurts is going to be running all over us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Exactly, so stop jinxing us by being the team that gives itself nicknames. Those are the kids you pick on, like simba. Stinks of failure. 

That was made by Haskins.   Stop being paranoid.  There’s a bunch of nicknames our team and certain parts of it have had through its history.  Again stop being paranoid because a few had setbacks.  There’s a bunch of teams in sports that had nicknames. 

13 minutes ago, Catatonic said:

I agree, but this kid took us down the field twice and scored. If not for the BS holding call, we would be resting players Sunday Night. I will take Heinicke any day over Haskins.

10 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Designed runs FTW.   Hell Read Option got RG3 into the playoffs.  Hurts is going to be running all over us.

I agree.

Edited by RedskinsLegacy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

Right... continue the culture change by not giving ourselves unearned nicknames.

im all about taylor for this game vs the eagles, but I’m trying to temper expectations. He faced a bad defense that was essentially playing prevent. That being said, he seemed to flash through his progressions lightning quick and always found the open wr. Other than one ball that sailed on him he threw dimes.

high football iq + accurate >>>> big arm

I said if the defense become dominate they absolutely deserve to be nicknamed.  Not ever doing nicknames again besides a few didn’t pan out is just being ridiculous.   Especially because of ones like Simba which the fans didn’t make themselves.    

• Confused 1

I did not know Kyle Allen only played in Carolina because Heinicke got hurt. I think the fact that he plays with confidence and the players spoke glowingly about him is a good thing. They said he knows what to do. Not to be taken lightly. We know what happens when a QB does not know what to do. 

• Like 2

The fact that backup QBs can come in ice COLD and perform well for a few series makes me think using 2 QBs as needed in random weeks of the year can help teams win games, and take pressure off a young QB.  I think we have all seen an OL suddenly start playing better with a new QB.  People just fight more for other guys, I dunno what it is but a solid play or 2 gets them buying in. 

Many seem to argue letting a backup QB get snaps forever ruins the confidence of a young QB. I call bunk many studs at other positions jog off and see their backup doing well and survive just fine.  Throwing INTs fumbling and horrendous QB play with NO threat of being benched makes for a worse QB. The QB gets spoiled and too big of an ego and inevitably comes crashing back to reality anyways.   Humble Pie FTW.

Edited by RandyHolt

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

I wonder if we’d be seeing Montez instead if Denver’s QB situation weeks ago didn’t prompt us to sign Heinie.

Montez definitely needs more development unless he's made a significant improvement from his college play. Not sure if that's happened with no real offseason. Big kid with a strong arm. But like DH, he's inconsistent. Ron says he looks good in practice. Shrug.

15 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Montez definitely needs more development unless he's made a significant improvement from his college play. Not sure if that's happened with no real offseason. Big kid with a strong arm. But like DH, he's inconsistent. Ron says he looks good in practice. Shrug.

I just don’t know if we’d have signed Taylor if that whole Denver QB debacle didn’t happen. Wasn’t he basically signed as a covid precaution?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Newera said:

This is a crazy thought.  But hear me out.  In Taylor we may have unsuspectingly found our poor mans Russell Wilson.  This kid seems magical.   He is mobile.  He is smart.  He is resourceful.  He can pass.  Has great vision.  He is fast.  Sounds a lot like someone out west.  Plus, he would be immensely affordable.  

Whose to say we couldn’t be modeled  the vaunted Seahawks of 2012 - 2016.  We add a few more pieces (linebackers) and we can arguably have the best defense in football next year.  I want the linebacker Zaven Collins from Tulsa.  Go look him up on YouTube.  Imagine adding him to our defense.  Rueben Foster would be a luxury.  That is typically a two year injury.  He may be a wash.  But what if he’s not.  Ron and Jack could have easily cut him.  Both being linebackers they seem willing to give him one last look by placing him on IR.   This will be it for Foster.  

Keep in mind, back then Russell just managed the game.  He wasn’t what he is now.  However he was clutch.  If anything Taylor has been clutch as well.  For instance did you know he had like 14 come from behind wins while in college.  Quite frankly, was on the verge of doing it last Sunday.  But we got ripped on a bogus flop call.  And, had Simms pulled that catch in, we were gonna win that game.   That was with seven minutes left.  Technically the dude almost threw three td passes in nine minutes. 

Why the affordable route.  

Our focus needs to be to keep our front together the best we can and for as long as we can.   We go and get a vet and it will cost a fortune.   A Stafford.  A Ryan.  A Dak.  We will lose players as a result of the cap hit. The more we pay for qb, the fewer defensive line players we can re-sign.  And the more players we can add.  

We have Allen this off season and Payne next year.  Don’t get me wrong.  There are arguments you can make for a guy like Stafford.  I’m just saying the Seahawk model did work.  Their defense was good when Russell was on that affordable contract.  Not so much now.  

Really all we are asking Taylor to do is effectively manage the game.  Make the right reads.  Don’t give the game away.  

It’s all just a thought.   Of course all this will be moot if Taylor doesn’t play.  We would need to see him perform again under the bright lights.  On national tv.   I think this kid has “IT.”  Some do.  Some don’t.  We may not win.  But I think he will keep it close.  

Moral of message:  Why not model the 2012 - 2016 Seahawks.  They were dominate. We seem to be starting to have the pieces in place for such a run.   Young and hungry.  

sooo good I had to like it twice!!

/plus he's only 27 or 28

//only thing is I've heard (here) he has a "history" of being injured...how much of a history? bad luck?? I dunno

///HTTR

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Oline that won 3 SBs? They didn't start calling themselves the line and then become great. They were great.

How long did that Area 51 thing go on for? How did that work out? 

Every time someone gives a nickname to any part of the team, before they earn it (Hoggs 2.0, Capital Defense, East Coast Offense, etc) everything falls apart. No more nicknames!

yes, let it happen organically

• Like 1

I don't want a quarterback throwing interceptions as much as the next guy but our quarterbacks have been throwing ugly picks all year.

Alex Smith had a few pretty ugly ones and haskins had a bunch, at least with this guy's ugly interceptions comes some exciting down field plays, ill gladly take the trade off if we can generate some exciting drives that result in scores.

We have a defense that can overcome a few turnovers but not one that can be expected to score twice a game.

We sometimes forget that 5 three and outs is worse for the scoreboard than 2 interceptions and 3 touchdowns.

• Thanks 1

It seems that TH has the IT factor.

He has an excellent feel for the game.  

I think he wins a spot on the roster next year.

Also, Tribusky is being overlooked as a possible pick up.  Could be a Tannehill type of pick up. 

Obviously, Stafford and Ryan would be excellent additions if the price is right.

Ultimately. There will be much possibilities with so many draft prospects for 2021.

13 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Any supervisor would tell you... if you have difficult employees that you want to fire for "performance issues" but firing may not be popular with HR, then you put them in a position to prove their worth to the company (which then makes firing very justifiable).  Dwayne justified his own termination based on his performance on the field... and not how he graciously tipped in some peeler bar nor how he may or may not have followed mask regulations. 

I hear ya. And I totally understand and agree.

Unfortunately, the "HR's of the world" still are critical of the move. But...doesn't matter what they think anyway. Time to move on.

The other unfortunate thing is, that Rivera's decision to start the former QB, just to help justify it to the critics, could have actually cost us a playoff berth, if we end up losing to Philly by some freak play or plays. High price to pay for that, and not worth it, IMO.

So, even considering your valid theory, I would have rather benched him for that game, than start him or cut him, due to the downsides to the 2 latter options.

Then worry about cutting him later...after we secure our playoff berth.

But like I said...water under the bridge.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1