Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

20 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Math genius doesn't equal football genius.  

I think you missed the point. The point was this:  It shows he studies and puts the work in. Unlike Haskins who didn't know the QBs should come in on their day off and work harder. He was working too hard at home and counting his dollar bills instead. 

Edited by zskins
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

After all, this is the board who had an infatuation with Colt Brennan at one point. 

Whoa... hold on there buddy! John Madden said Colt was going to be a really good QB after he said, "that was a perfect pass" during the Hall of Fame game. How dare you go against the great Madden!

• Haha 3

That TD Heinicke threw was the best TD this season. The way he waved at McKissic to run deep was A. Rodgers level. 

My concern with him and K. Allen is arm strength. But it's very clear that those two really understand what Turner is trying to do on offense. How do y'all think they compare to D. Brees with arm strength?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Everyone eats McDonalds, bro.  At one point or another.  It's cool, you can admit it or keep getting defensive about it :) 

People are infatuated with the backup QB, almost always.  People are infatuated with the idea that the guy on the bench can turn into the next Kurt Warner or the next Tom Brady.  Every football fan out there wants that, unless your starter is Mahomes or Rodgers or Wilson or Jackson or one of those.  If your starter is middle of the pack or mediocre, you're constantly wondering if the backup could be the guy.  Because the backup hasn't had the chance to **** up and break your heart yet.  The backup has limitless possibilities.  

That's why we're infatuated here, because Haskins sucked and was a bad person and we so desperately wanted someone to come in and save the day and it damn near happened.  And in our collective minds, all we could talk about after the game was "Man, if Heinicke had the whole second half, we'd have won." 

No one knows that, but it's nice to think about.  It gives us the warm and fuzzies.  It gives us hope.  And as a sports fan, a little bit of hope is all you want to start with.

I'd eat McDonald's if there wasn't meat in everything. I miss those fries. Instead I gotta slum it at Wendys.

Here is an interesting read about arm strength from 2012. Tom Brady is 18 out of 32 QB ranked. Brady main focus has always been to move the chains and throws a deep ball here and there but that is not his strength. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1266536-power-ranking-the-arm-strength-of-all-32-nfl-starting-qbs#:~:text=18.,Tom Brady&text=Tom Brady's arm isn,good footwork and hip rotation.

• Like 2

Maybe this really is Taylor Heinicke's time to step into a starting role.  He's tough and resilient, and has confidence.  Since he's bounced around the league, presumably he's picked up some knowledge along the way. 

He's had his dream of playing in the NFL taken away only to have it given back to him again, so he will take nothing for granted when it comes to preparation and hard work.

The Panthers threw a ****load of blitzes at him Sunday, and it didn't faze him a bit.  That shows me he was prepared mentally to step onto the field.

I hope Alex Smith is fully ready to go.  But if he's not,  I'm looking forward to seeing how Heincke does... his big chance in an important game.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zskins said:

I think you missed the point. The point was this:  It shows he studies and puts the work in. Unlike Haskins who didn't know the QBs should come in on their day off and work harder. He was working too hard at home and counting his dollar bills instead. 

It also shows he understands how to solve puzzles, which is exactly what reading a defense is. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Better than a dude throwing random dollar bills in a ass crack. Atleast he’s counting first. 

I'm not a Haskins apologist so your slight has no effect.  I just want to win with players I like.

1 hour ago, zskins said:

I think you're missing the point.  Studying in NFL and studying in school are two different things. People from all walks of life do one and not the other.  It's funny how people assume I'm pro Dwayne or anti Heineke (sp?) based on making a sensible observation. 

Edited by Vanguard

4 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I rewatched HineyHiney’s work in the 4th quarter last night.

Man, that ball comes out of his hand like a beach ball.  The arm-strength/ball-velocity is highly reminiscent of Danny Weurffel.

I noticed that too. He puts a lot of air under the ball. It kind of floats in the air. However, if he can just manage the game and not make stupid mistakes we might be ok. At least he can scramble. Haskins looked like he had cement in his cleats.

12 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I think you're missing the point.  Studying in NFL and studying in school are two different things. People from all walks of life do one and not the other

Yes, they are two different things, but people from all walks of life don’t have the physical ability to be an NFL QB. All I’m saying is the skills learned in one can cross over to the other.

I think arm strength is over rated.  Yeah, it's nice to see a ball launched 50-60 yards and dropped into a bucket but you cant make a living relying on it.  Far more important to have an accurate short to intermediate game. Kinda like the old golf saying,...  "you drive for show but putt for dough".

• Like 2

How many QBs lack "size" these days?  He appears to lack elite arm strength but as the gurus always say "arm strength is the most over rated characteristic in a QB".  His end zone pass to AGG(?) would have been a TD if he had the arm strength to place it up higher where only AGG could get to it.  But other than that I liked what I saw from him even if his ceiling is a good #2 QB.  We just need him to win one game.  I had zero confidence in the former backup to Smith.

35 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

How many QBs lack "size" these days?  He appears to lack elite arm strength but as the gurus always say "arm strength is the most over rated characteristic in a QB".  His end zone pass to AGG(?) would have been a TD if he had the arm strength to place it up higher where only AGG could get to it.  But other than that I liked what I saw from him even if his ceiling is a good #2 QB.  We just need him to win one game.  I had zero confidence in the former backup to Smith.

He “lacks size” in as much as he has appeared in three NFL games and in the first two games he left because of injury.  Sunday was the first time that he actually played and didn’t end up on IR.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

His end zone pass to AGG(?) would have been a TD if he had the arm strength to place it up higher where only AGG could get to it.  

I zero confidence in AGG. He's shown nothing that leads me to think he could make a catch like that.

Pass that Heinicke threw to him is prolly a td to Mclaurin tho.

I'd actually prefer to roll with this guy over a healthy Alex this week.  

1- I think it will mess with Philly

2- He flashed enough that we should get a look at him in a full game before the season is over

Worst case scenario is he stinks and we get a top 10 pick.

Its a *major* long shot but maybe, just maybe, hes a diamond in the rough

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Heinicke talk here

Chase Young went out of his way, to give Heiny a HUGE stamp of approval.

That's enough for me. Not worried about critics. Chase Young chases QB's for a living - at the very highest level. So he knows a thing or 2 about QB's because he's seen a thing or 2 from QB's. Have you ever heard him talk about any of our other QB's with that much enthusiasm, positivity, and praise ?

3 hours ago, London Kev said:

Heinicke threw an accurate 45-yard pass, that's plenty far enough. We may be screwed the next time that we have a 3rd down and 46, but until then, his arm strength is OK.

Just saw the air clip on NFL app. And they clocked it at 49.7. He should have on problem with 3rd and 48. 😁

Edited by zskins
  • Haha 3

The odds of Heinicke being some diamond in the rough are slim to none, or else he would have been on a roster already.  That being said, it just goes to show you how terrible the quarterback play has been this year when he was the top rated guy via PFF all season and because there are actual murmurs about starting him over Smith (or pulling Smith early if things get hairy) for him against the Eagles.  

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The odds of Heinicke being some diamond in the rough are slim to none, or else he would have been on a roster already.  That being said, it just goes to show you how terrible the quarterback play has been this year when he was the top rated guy via PFF all season and because there are actual murmurs about starting him over Smith (or pulling Smith early if things get hairy) for him against the Eagles.  

He doesn't need to be a diamond in the rough. He just has to play well enough to not lose us a game with a division on the line.

Just for comparison sakes, in the 2012 season finale with a division on the line on SNF, RG3 was only 9/18 for 100 yards. Granted he also had 6 carries for 63 yards and a TD, but his production was mostly pedestrian. We were carried by the run game(Alfy Mo had 200 that day)and a D that allowed under 20 points and forced 3 takeaways. That's the kind of effort we'll need this Sunday, but it also means we don't need world beating production from Heinecke.

And for the kind of year 2020 has been, why not end it with a practice squad QB contributing to a division winning victory?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Hey you never know.  Kurt Warner went undrafted, cut by the Packers.  Gets a job stocking shelves in a grocery store, goes to play fore the Arena Football Barnstormers, then a stint in the NFL Europe league.  The Rams make him their 3rd stringer, the next year he becomes Trent Greens Backup and bam, a season ending injury in the preseason thrusts Warner into the starting role.  What does he do?  Leads the Rams all the way to the Super Bowl and wins NFL MVP and SB MVP honors.

The chances are slim- but there is a chance that Heinicke could be something

• Like 4