Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

If he had won in his one quarter and locked in our playoff spot, and if he never took another snap he would likely still be a cult hero for the next decade.

I wonder if his play in that quarter was a big reason Haskins was axed the next day, more than Haskins failings. You don't dump Haskins unless you have someone better and RR saw he did.

I think we all did....

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

If he had won in his one quarter and locked in our playoff spot, and if he never took another snap he would likely still be a cult hero for the next decade.

I wonder if his play in that quarter was a big reason Haskins was axed the next day, more than Haskins failings. You don't dump Haskins unless you have someone better and RR saw he did.

I think we all did....

I think asking the question, is the answer. Heinicke shown the world how this offense could word....after being call off the uni bench a few weeks ago... Haskin was more than exposed! It's been a while since i have been as pumped for a game! #HTTR 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I think we all did....

No doubt. Here's the thing I'm struggling with ;

You would think by the time Week 16 rolls around, Rivera was both familiar with how good that Heiny was, and how not-good that Haskins was.

Rivera coached him in 2018, saw him in regular season games, and even starting. While OC Turner knew him even longer, since they were in Minnesota in 2015.

And now in 2020, they got a taste of him in practice for weeks, before entering a game. So they both knew how good he was. And by this time, they probably saw enough of Haskins to know he was not the answer.

So when Haskins messed up off-the-field for the last time and was fined, Rivera had plenty of justification to cut Haskins at that point, or at least bench him.

So, why did Rivera choose to let Haskins start against the Panthers instead of Heiny ?

He knew Haskins was shaky, unreliable, and unlikely to lead us to the playoffs. He also knew it could send the wrong message to let him play, right after his incident.

So why didn't Rivera just insert Heiny as starter, since he "knew what he had" in him ?

Is it possible, that the answer to that, is Heiny was even better than Rivera thought, and even exceeded Rivera's expectations in that game, and had actually improved a lot over the years ?

Or was he determined to give Haskins just one last shot, and held out hope, that Haskins would somehow pull through, in this final chance ?

It has to be one or the other, or a combination of the two, why Rivera didn't make the move.

But if the answer is the "former" of the above - that could be a great sign, that Heiny has drastically improved his game, since the last time that Rivera and Turner saw him.

Then that would also explain why no other teams hadn't picked him up in the meantime - because they didn't know he really stepped up his game, and made great strides.

Heiny could be a late bloomer, or something to that effect

All speculating here, but like I said, I'm trying to still figure out why Rivera took that long, to make the move to Heiny. He and Turner knew he was good, better than anyone !

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Rivera "had" to give Haskins one last chance before cutting him.  As it turns out, win and we're in.

If Heinicke gets the Team to the SB, Haskins's decision to take Joe Theismann's #7 would be ironic:  Both #7s would've started in the SB with the Team that drafted them if they'd just learned that team's playbook.

Edited by GothSkinsFan

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You would think by the time Week 16 rolls around, Rivera was both familiar with how good that Heiny was, and how not-good that Haskins was.

Rivera coached him in 2018, saw him in regular season games, and even starting. While OC Turner knew him even longer, since they were in Minnesota in 2015.

And now in 2020, they got a taste of him in practice for weeks, before entering a game. So they both knew how good he was. And by this time, they probably saw enough of Haskins to know he was not the answer.

So when Haskins messed up off-the-field for the last time and was fined, Rivera had plenty of justification to cut Haskins at that point, or at least bench him.

So, why did Rivera choose to let Haskins start against the Panthers instead of Heiny ?

He knew Haskins was shaky, unreliable, and unlikely to lead us to the playoffs. He also knew it could send the wrong message to let him play, right after his incident.

So why didn't Rivera just insert Heiny as starter, since he "knew what he had" in him ?

Is it possible, that the answer to that, is Heiny was even better than Rivera thought, and even exceeded Rivera's expectations in that game, and had actually improved a lot over the years ?

Or was he determined to give Haskins just one last shot, and held out hope, that Haskins would somehow pull through, in this final chance ?

It has to be one or the other, or a combination of the two, why Rivera didn't make the move.

But if the answer is the "former" of the above - that could be a great sign, that Heiny has drastically improved his game, since the last time that Rivera and Turner saw him.

Then that would also explain why no other teams hadn't picked him up in the meantime - because they didn't know he really stepped up his game, and made great strides.

All speculating here, but like I said, I'm trying to still figure out why Rivera took that long, to make the move to Heiny. He and Turner knew he was good, better than anyone !

Any supervisor would tell you... if you have difficult employees that you want to fire for "performance issues" but firing may not be popular with HR, then you put them in a position to prove their worth to the company (which then makes firing very justifiable).  Dwayne justified his own termination based on his performance on the field... and not how he graciously tipped in some peeler bar nor how he may or may not have followed mask regulations. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

This is a crazy thought.  But hear me out.  In Taylor we may have unsuspectingly found our poor mans Russell Wilson.  This kid seems magical.   He is mobile.  He is smart.  He is resourceful.  He can pass.  Has great vision.  He is fast.  Sounds a lot like someone out west.  Plus, he would be immensely affordable.  

Whose to say we couldn’t be modeled  the vaunted Seahawks of 2012 - 2016.  We add a few more pieces (linebackers) and we can arguably have the best defense in football next year.  I want the linebacker Zaven Collins from Tulsa.  Go look him up on YouTube.  Imagine adding him to our defense.  Rueben Foster would be a luxury.  That is typically a two year injury.  He may be a wash.  But what if he’s not.  Ron and Jack could have easily cut him.  Both being linebackers they seem willing to give him one last look by placing him on IR.   This will be it for Foster.  

Keep in mind, back then Russell just managed the game.  He wasn’t what he is now.  However he was clutch.  If anything Taylor has been clutch as well.  For instance did you know he had like 14 come from behind wins while in college.  Quite frankly, was on the verge of doing it last Sunday.  But we got ripped on a bogus flop call.  And, had Simms pulled that catch in, we were gonna win that game.   That was with seven minutes left.  Technically the dude almost threw three td passes in nine minutes. 

Why the affordable route.  

Our focus needs to be to keep our front together the best we can and for as long as we can.   We go and get a vet and it will cost a fortune.   A Stafford.  A Ryan.  A Dak.  We will lose players as a result of the cap hit. The more we pay for qb, the fewer defensive line players we can re-sign.  And the more players we can add.  

We have Allen this off season and Payne next year.  Don’t get me wrong.  There are arguments you can make for a guy like Stafford.  I’m just saying the Seahawk model did work.  Their defense was good when Russell was on that affordable contract.  Not so much now.  

Really all we are asking Taylor to do is effectively manage the game.  Make the right reads.  Don’t give the game away.  

It’s all just a thought.   Of course all this will be moot if Taylor doesn’t play.  We would need to see him perform again under the bright lights.  On national tv.   I think this kid has “IT.”  Some do.  Some don’t.  We may not win.  But I think he will keep it close.  

Moral of message:  Why not model the 2012 - 2016 Seahawks.  They were dominate. We seem to be starting to have the pieces in place for such a run.   Young and hungry.  

Edited by Newera
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Newera said:

This is a crazy thought.  But hear me out.  In Taylor we may have unsuspectingly found our poor mans Russell Wilson.  This kid seems magical.   He is mobile.  He is smart.  He is resourceful.  He can pass.  Has great vision.  He is fast.  Sounds a lot like someone out west.  Plus, he would be immensely affordable.  

Whose to say we couldn’t be modeled  the vaunted Seahawks of 2012 - 2016.  We add a few more pieces (linebackers) and we can arguably have the best defense in football next year.  I want the linebacker Zaven Collins from Tulsa.  Go look him up on YouTube.  Imagine adding him to our defense.  Rueben Foster would be a luxury.  That is typically a two year injury.  He may be a wash.  But what if he’s not.  Ron and Jack could have easily cut him.  Both being linebackers they seem willing to give him one last look by placing him on IR.   This will be it for Foster.  

Keep in mind, back then Russell just managed the game.  He wasn’t what he is now.  However he was clutch.  If anything Taylor has been clutch as well.  For instance did you know he had like 14 come from behind wins while in college.  Quite frankly, was on the verge of doing it last Sunday.  But we got ripped on a bogus flop call.  And, had Simms pulled that catch in, we were gonna win that game.   That was with seven minutes left.  Technically the dude almost threw three td passes in nine minutes. 

Why the affordable route.  

Our focus needs to be to keep our front together the best we can and for as long as we can.   We go and get a vet and it will cost a fortune.   A Stafford.  A Ryan.  A Dak.  We will lose players as a result of the cap hit. The more we pay for qb, the fewer defensive line players we can re-sign.  And the more players we can add.  

We have Allen this off season and Payne next year.  Don’t get me wrong.  There are arguments you can make for a guy like Stafford.  I’m just saying the Seahawk model did work.  Their defense was good when Russell was on that affordable contract.  Not so much now.  

Really all we are asking Taylor to do is effectively manage the game.  Make the right reads.  Don’t give the game away.  

It’s all just a thought.   Of course all this will be moot if Taylor doesn’t play.  We would need to see him perform again under the bright lights.  On national tv.   I think this kid has “IT.”  Some do.  Some don’t.  We may not win.  But I think he will keep it close.  

Moral of message:  Why not model the 2012 - 2016 Seahawks.  They were dominate. We seem to be starting to have the pieces in place for such a run.   Young and hungry.  

I admire the positivity.

But if you're this excited about him after 1 quarter of football...I'll have what you're having.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

If AS gets the start and isn't pushing off his back foot and his throws are weak, I'd have a quick hook to bring TH in.  Not bc I think TH has already proven he is the next joe montana, but why not. We are 6-9.  We are playing with house money at this point, considering we shouldn't even be thinking playoffs at this point.  Let's see what we have in TH, and if we lose, we get the silver lining of jumping up in the draft order.  But if we win, and we give this young team the energy that we found our guy and the offense has improved, with limited tape for our qb, to go along with an improving defense, we could be a team with nothing to lose that could win playoff games.  

Now I think I've talked myself into wanting TH to start regardless of AS health.

7 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Why?  Our franchise is literally to this day known by a famous nickname of our O line in the 80s lol.  Hell there was Area 51 with Taylor and Landry.  What’s the big deal? 

The Oline that won 3 SBs? They didn't start calling themselves the line and then become great. They were great.

How long did that Area 51 thing go on for? How did that work out? 

Every time someone gives a nickname to any part of the team, before they earn it (Hoggs 2.0, Capital Defense, East Coast Offense, etc) everything falls apart. No more nicknames!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Oline that won 3 SBs? They didn't start calling themselves the line and then become great. They were great.

How long did that Area 51 thing go on for? How did that work out? 

Every time someone gives a nickname to any part of the team, before they earn it (Hoggs 2.0, Capital Defense, East Coast Offense, etc) everything falls apart. No more nicknames!

Yeah well the culture is suppose to be changing.  Wanna change the culture?  Stop living in past failures. 

5 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Yeah well the culture is suppose to be changing.  Wanna change the culture?  Stop living in past failures. 

Right... continue the culture change by not giving ourselves unearned nicknames.

im all about taylor for this game vs the eagles, but I’m trying to temper expectations. He faced a bad defense that was essentially playing prevent. That being said, he seemed to flash through his progressions lightning quick and always found the open wr. Other than one ball that sailed on him he threw dimes.

high football iq + accurate >>>> big arm

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Exactly, so stop jinxing us by being the team that gives itself nicknames. Those are the kids you pick on, like simba. Stinks of failure. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Regrettably, I can’t shake the real feeling that Haskins was even in uniform for the Panther’s game instead of being canned right away after his post -Seattle game antics is that DS is really still making the personnel decisions, at least at QB, and not Rivera.  Scary, but we’ve seen this script before. 

And, everyone needs to pump the brakes on TH.  Yes, he looked good for a little under a quarter last week.  And he at least showed a knowledge of the offense that DH didn’t show, but there’s a reason he hasn’t caught on somewhere yet.  It’s more indicative of how a bad Panthers defense could make DH look so inept, than how good TH is.  Someone mentioned earlier that in TH’s previous playing time, he was a turnover machine.  I think this Philly game will be the cold slap of reality of what his capabilities are.  This is going to be ugly.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Catatonic said:

Regrettably, I can’t shake the real feeling that Haskins was even in uniform for the Panther’s game instead of being canned right away after his post -Seattle game antics is that DS is really still making the personnel decisions, at least at QB, and not Rivera.  Scary, but we’ve seen this script before. 

And, everyone needs to pump the brakes on TH.  Yes, he looked good for a little under a quarter last week.  And he at least showed a knowledge of the offense that DH didn’t show, but there’s a reason he hasn’t caught on somewhere yet.  It’s more indicative of how a bad Panthers defense could make DH look so inept, than how good TH is.  Someone mentioned earlier that in TH’s previous playing time, he was a turnover machine.  I think this Philly game will be the cold slap of reality of what his capabilities are.  This is going to be ugly.  

Well said. Totally agree. But did I miss something? Have they named TH the starter? I thought Alex was a go?

I didn't know much about this kid, but it's sounding like he is very athletic. Here are some things the coach said about him.

He's really a good athlete. He wasn't invited to the Combine, but if he would've been, I think he would've finished in the top-three in all those athletic categories, whether it's 40-yard dash, broad jump, vertical jumps. https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/these-quotes-taylor-heinicke-may-your-confidence-potential-starter?fbclid=IwAR18WS1CNGu7Rl81H36Rn5rdMj-L6EWtFyOtl7DZ1sZv0H9Ys5nFrrY12z4