Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

First off I will say the sample size was too small to make any grand proclamations about his game and potential of it, with that said what impressed me the most about him yesterday was his willingness to throw to receivers that are "NFL open,"  NFL open merely means a player has a step on the defender and is behind them in position.  That is something I rarely see Alex Smith do to be honest.  You have to have a base level of confidence in yourself and your receivers to make throws like that.

The two throws I am focusing on were the ones to Cam Sims and Logan Thomas.  Both of which should have been caught.  Thomas was sort of running a straight seem route and behind the DB, and the ball sailed through his hands.   The throw to Cam Sims might have been even more impressive because it seemed like Heinike threw him open.  When he lets go of the ball the camera shot shows that Sims had not yet broken away from the safety, but as the ball is sailing to an area only Sims can track down, he is first initially pulled and held which should have drawn the flag, but then breaks away and gets both hands on the ball for what should have been a catch.

The willingness to make those kinds of throws, and the accuracy they were thrown with?  That was something we haven't seen around here in awhile.

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Alex gave it all he could. He really did. But it's over. 

Agreed. He's a terrific guy, and an amazing story. But he was clearly on the down swing BEFORE the injury.  Would love to see him stay in the organization as a quarterbacks coach.  But seeing a UDFA come in and move the ball better than anyone has all season means it's time. 

• Like 1

Tired of hearing about the arm strength of this guy like it's the only thing that matters.

Dude heaved a pass from the 45ish yard line to the end zone yesterday a yard or two into the end zone.  That's all you really need.  Look, if a WR can run a 4.4 40 yard dash, the QB has about 2.5, maybe 3 seconds to heave that ball to a point where the WR can catch it on a fly route.  After that, it's usually YAC, did the receiver get enough separation, was he hit in stride, etc.  

All that bull**** about someone who can throw it 65 yards in the air is meaningless.  It doesn't matter because it doesn't apply to game situations that often, unless it's like a Hail Mary situation.  

The guy seemed accurate, he knew the plays, he could hit open receivers.  THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.   DON'T OVERTHINK IT.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Tired of hearing about the arm strength of this guy like it's the only thing that matters.

Dude heaved a pass from the 45ish yard line to the end zone yesterday a yard or two into the end zone.  That's all you really need.  Look, if a WR can run a 4.4 40 yard dash, the QB has about 2.5, maybe 3 seconds to heave that ball to a point where the WR can catch it on a fly route.  After that, it's usually YAC, did the receiver get enough separation, was he hit in stride, etc.  

All that bull**** about someone who can throw it 65 yards in the air is meaningless.  It doesn't matter because it doesn't apply to game situations that often, unless it's like a Hail Mary situation.  

The guy seemed accurate, he knew the plays, he could hit open receivers.  THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS.   DON'T OVERTHINK IT.

Not to mention, it hasn't even been a full day, since we got rid of a 1st round pick, who basically had arm strength for miles. Just too bad, that's all he had.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

There are also throws and routes that simply won't be available to him in the NFL because he clearly doesn't have the velocity.  It's not can he throw 50 yards down the field.  The throws that will be the most limiting are the intermediate throws to outside the hash marks near the sidelines and squeezing it in narrow windows.  That doesn't mean he can't be successful (and he clearly gives the offense a much better chance than Haskins), but it also undeniably puts a limitation on what the offense can do to attack a defense with him as a QB.  Luckily for WFT, they probably don't need anything near a lights out performance from Heinike to beat the Eagles.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, bearrock said:

There are also throws and routes that simply won't be available to him in the NFL because he clearly doesn't have the velocity.  It's not can he throw 50 yards down the field.  The throws that will be the most limiting are the intermediate throws to outside the hash marks near the sidelines and squeezing it in narrow windows.  That doesn't mean he can't be successful (and he clearly gives the offense a much better chance than Haskins), but it also undeniably puts a limitation on what the offense can do to attack a defense with him as a QB.  Luckily for WFT, they probably don't need anything near a lights out performance from Heinike to beat the Eagles.

He's not perfect.

But he certainly gives us a LOT more options on types of plays and passes, than any QB we've had on our roster all year

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He's not perfect.

But he certainly gives us a LOT more options on types of plays and passes, than any QB we've had on our roster all year

No.  That’s not true.  

He gives the team more options than Haskins. 

Almost certainly not Kyle Allen, and absolutely not a healthy Alex Smith.  

Smith brought more to the offense than he ever gets credit for. 

1 hour ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Agreed. He's a terrific guy, and an amazing story. But he was clearly on the down swing BEFORE the injury.  Would love to see him stay in the organization as a quarterbacks coach.  But seeing a UDFA come in and move the ball better than anyone has all season means it's time. 

That’s also not true.  Smith had back to back games where he threw for almost 400 yards.  

9 minutes of work against a soft zone defense does not make a case for him doing anything other than being an emergency backup or starter in case Smith still can’t go.

And FWIW, I DON’T want Smith on the team next year.  But right now he’s absolutely the best option.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Fair enough, but we don't know much about his arm strength.  Obviously it's not great, but we don't know to what degree he can't make the throws that you described above.  

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

First off I will say the sample size was too small to make any grand proclamations about his game and potential of it, with that said what impressed me the most about him yesterday was his willingness to throw to receivers that are "NFL open,"  NFL open merely means a player has a step on the defender and is behind them in position.  That is something I rarely see Alex Smith do to be honest.  You have to have a base level of confidence in yourself and your receivers to make throws like that.

The two throws I am focusing on were the ones to Cam Sims and Logan Thomas.  Both of which should have been caught.  Thomas was sort of running a straight seem route and behind the DB, and the ball sailed through his hands.   The throw to Cam Sims might have been even more impressive because it seemed like Heinike threw him open.  When he lets go of the ball the camera shot shows that Sims had not yet broken away from the safety, but as the ball is sailing to an area only Sims can track down, he is first initially pulled and held which should have drawn the flag, but then breaks away and gets both hands on the ball for what should have been a catch.

The willingness to make those kinds of throws, and the accuracy they were thrown with?  That was something we haven't seen around here in awhile.

It is almost like the guys were surprised the ball was catchable. When was the las time we had QB throwing those balls?

Seriously i was impress by Heinicke precision. Some pass  he throw were the best we has seen in almost decade! Thank to McKissick, at least he catch one of those, but 2 were drop! Overall, there was one throw i thought wasnt good (almost pick) , the others felt like we at least had a QB, what a feeling!

24 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Fair enough, but we don't know much about his arm strength.  Obviously it's not great, but we don't know to what degree he can't make the throws that you described above.  

Yeah, I'm going off just what little I saw on this Sunday.  It could just have been the kind of throws he was making and not any inability to make certain throws.  Either way, he showed enough on Sunday to show that he has the capability to move the ball on offense.

32 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well, as far as armstrength goes when was the last time we has some deep threat? Cousin? At least Heinicke is precise and the guy seem to have ''it'' , you can't buy that!

Edited by Partag

5 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Yeah, I'm going off just what little I saw on this Sunday.  It could just have been the kind of throws he was making and not any inability to make certain throws.  Either way, he showed enough on Sunday to show that he has the capability to move the ball on offense.

Indeed , much more than Trashkin! And maybe, i say maybe, as much as Alex...and (it's far fetched) maybe more!

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This dude gives pretty good breakdown

LOL at 8:25, talking about the blocking...."Oooh JD McKissic got RAN OVER...but at least he got in the way"

What a great vid, thanks man!

• Like 1