”I really want the Football Team to make a play here.”

”Which team?”

”The Football Team.”

”Okay, but this is a bar and all the games are on... be specific.”

”I am. The Football Team.”

”dude, which?”

*deep sigh* “WTF, man.”

”Oh, Washington. Why didn’t you say so?”

You know who would have loved this name? Scot McCloughan. He's a football player and plays on the football team.

10 minutes ago, RansomthePasserby said:

Yeah, but if I remember correctly they’ve been sued a couple times through the years for stealing logo designs.

I forgot about that--I think it was just over the original logo. Imagine the uproar if Snyder ends up getting sued? Florio would need to see a doctor because it would certainly last more than 4 hours---maybe even 4 weeks.

Firmly in the minority here because honestly I don't see what the big deal is with using this on a temp basis for 2020.

Rebranding takes time and to do it right they should get input from all stakeholders as they mentioned they would. Keeping it Redskins for the 2020 season and until the rebrand process is completed would have been an untenable position, so this is the lesser of two evils. Not ideal by any means, but I actually respect that they took this decision even though they probably knew they would be criticized relentlessly.

I do believe Snyder had no intention of changing the name and therefore was unprepared to roll out something quickly. That's a valid criticism.

On the flipside however I think he would have been equally criticized (if not more) if he would have had a name ready to roll out without any input from stakeholders. His hubris put him in that position. He said NEVER, all caps, so he couldn't simultaneously discuss and prepare for a rebrand.

@DJD2

Which boils down to the fact Snyder shouldn’t be running a football organization if he’s saying things like NEVER. 

There are so many things that I’d like to say NEVER to... but I’ve learned to never say never. 

And you’d think that a guy who was a multi-millionaire would have figured that out.

I see no justification in the team, stakeholders, ownership, etc., being unprepared.

We can look at it right now and say, “ya, I’d prefer they took their time and made a good decision with input now rather than rush it” - and that’s a true statement. But that doesn’t change the fact that the only reason why that looks like a good move is because of how inept this organization has been in many, many ways. 

And we keep excusing that ineptitude. Over and over... with statements like, “ya, this is the right move at this point.”

Good organizations don’t get to this point, folks. They don’t. And if they do they are prepared and ready.

This was not a surprise.

Snyder saying NEVER doesn’t change the reality that there was momentum for a name change and it only took a few sponsors pressuring the organization to make it happen. Most of us realized that. 

Contingencies are always a must. And it’s something that share holders, execs and ownership should have spoken about and been prepared for. 

I would be more understanding if the name change came out of left field. That’s a tough one. But this has been a “thing” for decades. 

13 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I am seriously considering being done with this franchise. Pick a god damn name so I can make a decision. Another unprepared debacle to add to the Snyder pile of **** ups. I will add that I actually like the look of the uniforms. Looks old school and cool. Maybe that will be enough to make me stick around. Who knows?

At this point, I'd just leave it at Washington. Do we really need a mascot? What, are we 8? Do the Penn State-type clean, classic unis. We don't have to call our team something else and pretend we like it. Just Washington.  A lot better than becoming the Washington whatever's expansion team.  Little Dan could feel like the big guy (that's important to our fearless leader) like he's giving somebody the finger. Cost a lot less money too, I imagine.

Oooooh, oooooh. New idea. Speaking of fingers.  Leave the name Washington and put a middle finger on the side of the helmet!!!!!  Just to see Costas' and Joe Buck's head explode.

36 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We can look at it right now and say, “ya, I’d prefer they took their time and made a good decision with input now rather than rush it” - and that’s a true statement. But that doesn’t change the fact that the only reason why that looks like a good move is because of how inept this organization has been in many, many ways. 

And we keep excusing that ineptitude. Over and over... with statements like, “ya, this is the right move at this point.”

I agree with you--but both can be true.

Snyder is an idiot, and he handled this horribly. I've been a part of a group that was attacked, with a lot of false, emotionally inflaming, narratives (I won't get into it, long, long story). You don't combat that by screaming to the press. You address it quietly. You let it burn out. Snyder spouting off to the USA Today about "Never...put that in caps" emboldened and emblazoned the Change the Name crowd. It was the spark they needed.

However, it is they are taking the next right steps. That's not an excuse of their idiocy and incompetence. It just is, at this point.

One thing I think we are seeing more and more of is just how thorough Snyder's incompetence is--there was an article a while back in the Athletic about the conditions of WFT Park. Like trash, stuff stacked up in corners, old, dated furniture. It was described as barely HS quality. This might get worse before it gets better--but then again, we've been saying that for 20+ years.

Hail to the Redwolves

Hail victory

Wolves on the prowl

Fight for old DC

I didn't like Washington Football Team when I first heard it, because I wanted to get the name change done as soon as possible.  But it's not a bad idea.  We probably want too much too fast.  They should take their time deciding on a nickname, a mascot, helmet and uniform changes, a fight song, etc.  Let's get this right the first time.  We will spend this year adapting to the loss of the old name allowing it to sink in to come back next year in celebration of a new identity and hopefully a good team or one showing potential. 

"Redskins" has been associated with ineptitude, embarrassment, and shame on and off the field for most of the last 28 years.  The new name and identity will be like a type of reincarnation and will hopefully catapult the organization and team to future glory.

2 hours ago, DJD2 said:

Firmly in the minority here because honestly I don't see what the big deal is with using this on a temp basis for 2020.

Rebranding takes time and to do it right they should get input from all stakeholders as they mentioned they would. Keeping it Redskins for the 2020 season and until the rebrand process is completed would have been an untenable position, so this is the lesser of two evils. Not ideal by any means, but I actually respect that they took this decision even though they probably knew they would be criticized relentlessly.

I do believe Snyder had no intention of changing the name and therefore was unprepared to roll out something quickly. That's a valid criticism.

On the flipside however I think he would have been equally criticized (if not more) if he would have had a name ready to roll out without any input from stakeholders. His hubris put him in that position. He said NEVER, all caps, so he couldn't simultaneously discuss and prepare for a rebrand.

Absolutely correct sir...exactly what I've been preaching here...good for snyder for having his heels dug in on changing it..I give the front office credit for the handling of this situation.

20 minutes ago, Captain James said:

Wouldn't this just be the most awkward year for Washington to scrap it's way into a championship?

That would feel right and wrong at the same time. 

It would back up my prediction..

1 hour ago, cakmoney61 said:

Hail to the Redwolves

Hail victory

Wolves on the prowl

Fight for old DC

I didn't like Washington Football Team when I first heard it, because I wanted to get the name change done as soon as possible.  But it's not a bad idea.  We probably want too much too fast.  They should take their time deciding on a nickname, a mascot, helmet and uniform changes, a fight song, etc.  Let's get this right the first time.  We will spend this year adapting to the loss of the old name allowing it to sink in to come back next year in celebration of a new identity and hopefully a good team or one showing potential. 

"Redskins" has been associated with ineptitude, embarrassment, and shame on and off the field for most of the last 28 years.  The new name and identity will be like a type of reincarnation and will hopefully catapult the organization and team to future glory.

Like this...especially the song bit at the beginning..your post was spot on, thank you..I'm really starting to think red wolves could be it.

"Hail to the Football! Hail to the Team! Players on the field, trademark T B D!"

In all seriousness, I really hope they go with a mascot-less, classy, old school 'Washington Football Club" over anything else. I've sunk way too much emotional energy into this team over my lifetime to tolerate anything else, especially now that I live outside the DMV.

Just figured I'd throw in my two cents for old time sake.

4 hours ago, HailSkins90 said:

"Hail to the Football! Hail to the Team! Players on the field, trademark T B D!"

In all seriousness, I really hope they go with a mascot-less, classy, old school 'Washington Football Club" over anything else. I've sunk way too much emotional energy into this team over my lifetime to tolerate anything else, especially now that I live outside the DMV.

Just figured I'd throw in my two cents for old time sake.

So you meat someone at a party, start talking football, and you are asked who your team is. Do you respond with "The Washington Football Club" and say it proudly?  Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.  Probably met with a smirk or a chuckle.  

I am frankly shocked that so many are actually OK with this.  Really surprising but if you are OK with it who am I to say you are wrong?

Archived