Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

That's weird. Never heard that about Rivera, and it seems so counter to his personality. I guess he had loyalty for the guy who gave him his shot as a HC.

Obviously he has no such connection to Snyder and it isn't as personal here. But still surprising to read that.

• Like 1

Some people will not ever be satisfied. 

No one I know is talking ill of Rivera. If anything, they are saying the same thing I am: his statement is what you would hope to hear from a leader of men. None of my friends are skins fans. I think Snyder couldn’t have picked a better man to right the ship. And although you should never ask a guy to come out and say anything, that’s what leaders do. Can we put the pitch forks down already. Sheesh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just want to remind everyone that, if someone were to buy the team, they wouldn't need to pay the full purchase price upfront through their pocket. They would be able to do a leveraged buyout where they put up 20% to 40% of the purchase price upfront and borrow the rest, effectively paying down the debt with cash flows from the team. Remember Snyder did this exact same thing in 99 when he bought the team.

With that in mind, I definitely don't want an owner who does not have the independent wealth to buy the team upfront. For every Rooney, you end up with a Bidwill. Would rather have a guy with unlimited budget like Bezos who can revamp the team's facilities out of his own pocket and implement a world class tech system.

“Biggest thing is we have to move forward from this and make sure everybody understands we have policies that we will follow and that we have an open door policy with no retribution,” Rivera said, via Ben Standig of TheAthletic.com. “Plus my daughter works for the team and I sure as hell am not going to allow any of this!"

I dont understand how anyone would think this is a bad statement. I guess its cool to white knight and cherry pick articles now in the the New Normal State of America 😂😂😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Huh? No one here has pitchforks out for Rivera. Most people don't even think he should be the one first facing the music on this for Snyder. Doesn't mean he's perfect.

I think it’s clear that article was not written to show Rivers in a good light. I commend him for standing up and showing why he’s here. 

Can you imagine the amount of collective sexual harassment of cheerleaders over the past 5 decades?  Women have faced it in all professions but wonder if cheerleaders were likely more targeted.  Do our cheerleaders even get paid? Last I heard from a leader I dated circa Dirty Birds seat cushion game, hell no.

2 hours ago, profusion said:

NDAs are standard in corporate severance agreements. The women likely took some kind of payment to go away and stay quiet.

Anybody let go from the Redskins with a severance almost certainly has an NDA.

And why were they let go?

55 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

I dont care. I just dont think the guy deserves some of the wrath he gets

You would be wise to not share your opinion anymore.

But I know you arent wise.

So to rehash, a guy gets NDA's against women so they cant talk about the rampant sexual harassment they endured...but he didnt know.  Almost all of the top execs in his company sexually harassed women for almost 2 decades...but he didnt know.  He immediately fired the execs in question, without hesitation, the moment a reporter came to ask questions about them, rather than spending a couple of weeks getting investigating his trusted execs he had no reason to believe were doing things like that...because he didnt know.  He sailed to the middle of nowhere on his yacht when he found out, instead of being horrified and coming to angrily storm in his buildings front doors and talk to the media about what went on, how they were punished, and how that would never happen again....because he didnt know.

Let me be blunt, at this point, anyone who cares to defend Dan Snyder, or to say that hes getting more hate than he deserves is as guilty as the rest of them.  You are one of the reasons abuse continues.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

The NDA thing is really weird. If the article was about the legitimacy of the Season Ticket Waiting List, I could see the team aggressively enforcing the NDAs because it's internal team-related business or could be considered a competitive secret. But this was an article about rampant sexual harassment and nightmarish work conditions. How can I assume anything other than the worst here?

WaPo: "Were you ever sexually harassed while you worked for the team?"

Interviewee: "Well, uhh, actually..."

Team Lawyer (interrupting) : "Careful what you say.  You signed an NDA and we'll sue you to oblivion."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

And why were they let go?

They weren't fired. They were likely given a financial settlement in return for resigning and agreeing not to sue the company and not to disclose certain facts or disparage the company. It's called a "severance" because the agreement severs their employment, regardless of what else it does.

Agreements like that are how most sexual harassment claims are handled. Most cases are pretty open and shut, and it's in the employer's interest to just pay up and keep it quiet.

However, companies often prefer to just buy off and hush even a marginal harassment complaint that they could otherwise contest. The publicity is worse than the payout.

1 minute ago, profusion said:

They weren't fired. They were likely given a financial settlement in return for resigning and agreeing not to sue the company and not to disclose certain facts or disparage the company. It's called a "severance" because the agreement severs their employment, regardless of what else it does.

Agreements like that are how most sexual harassment claims are handled. Most cases are pretty open and shut, and it's in the employer's interest to just pay up and keep it quiet.

However, companies often prefer to just buy off and hush even a marginal harassment complaint that they could otherwise contest. The publicity is worse than the payout.

Mmmhmm. And that’s what I’m saying. He knew. Therefore... accountable.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

The NDA thing is really weird. If the article was about the legitimacy of the Season Ticket Waiting List, I could see the team aggressively enforcing the NDAs because it's internal team-related business or could be considered a competitive secret. But this was an article about rampant sexual harassment and nightmarish work conditions. How can I assume anything other than the worst here?

WaPo: "Were you ever sexually harassed while you worked for the team?"

Interviewee: "Well, uhh, actually..."

Team Lawyer (interrupting) : "Careful what you say.  You signed an NDA and we'll sue you to oblivion."

Part of me is wishing that the WP just didn't run this story, I'm glad the people responsible for it have been removed, but seeing people say things like "that's it" is making me sick to my stomach. At least 15 women were harassed and this is people's response?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Mmmhmm. And that’s what I’m saying. He knew. Therefore... accountable.

If you're going to try to force a man to sell his business without tying you up in court for years, you're going to need a helluva lot more than that.

These agreements are typically standard anytime an employee resigns with a payout--layoffs, injury settlements, discrimination claims, etc. etc. Unless you can show convincing proof that these cases were handled differently at Snyder's behest, you ain't got ****.

Edited by profusion

1 minute ago, profusion said:

If you're going to try to force a man to sell his business with tying you up in court for years, you're going to need a helluva lot more than that.

These agreements are typically standard anytime an employee resigns with a payout--layoffs, injury settlements, discrimination claims, etc. etc. Unless you can show convincing proof that these cases were handled differently at Snyder's behest, you ain't got ****.

I said nothing about selling anything.

But, anyone that is complicit (proven to be that way, not alleged) doesn’t deserve to have that lucrative business. 

only time can tell there. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KDawg said:

I said nothing about selling anything.

There's no other way to hold Snyder personally accountable. The "letdown" here is that the really wacky stuff would have given the NFL grounds to force a sale. This story won't do that.

Just based on some basic math:

220 people work for the team based on the article.

30% of NFL FO employees are women, so 66 people. (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2618710-the-past-present-and-future-of-women-and-the-nfls-boys-club )

Assuming all these incidents happened over the past 10 years, and the average tenure of an NFL team employee is 3.5 years, that's ~200 women who've worked for the team over the past 10 years.

You can make your own assumptions here about the above, but I'd be willing to bet money the number is somewhere between 150 and 300.  That's a small number.  The Post has 15 of them willing to go on the record about what they endured (14 anonymously), AND THOSE ARE ONLY THE ONES WILLING TO TALK. That's 5-10% of the women who've worked there over that time, and Snyder is going to claim he had no idea what was going on, but he totally promises to change.

At a minimum, we need to demand the team drop the NDA for the remaining 14 women, so we can hear their stories if they choose to share them.

Edited by wrilbo67
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Part of me is wishing that the WP just didn't run this story, I'm glad the people responsible for it have been removed, but seeing people say things like "that's it" is making me sick to my stomach. At least 15 women were harassed and this is people's response?

There are levels to bad behavior. Punching someone in the face without provocation is bad. Hitting them in the head with a hammer is worse. Killing them is worse than that. And each level of offense should draw a punishment fitting of said offense. 

No different here. Being a creeper is bad. It should get you fired and vilified. But it’s not the same as actually assaulting someone. This is what we were led to believe might be the story. And it wasn’t. So know the punishments should fit. From what I read I don’t believe any of the former employees broke the law. Please correct me if I wrong as I’m far from an expert on that, but I don’t think any criminal action can be taken. And none of those mentioned work for the organization anymore either. So there just isn’t much else left to do other than profusely apologize and take a deep dive into making sure it doesn’t happen again. 

• Like 1