Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

This has got to be the final straw for Snyder's ownership.  

Sheehan has a lawyer on right now talking about the women who signed NDA's were more likely than not given something (money) that incentivized them to sign them.  Her point was that if they were paid to sign the NDA, it would be nearly impossible for Snyder to not have known what was going on.  She also said that illegal conduct is not protected by NDA.

Edit: The lawyer was not talking about the standard NDA's that are given to people when they are working for a company, but one that is signed when they leave.  

Edited by DJHJR86
  • Like 3

...Her main job, though, will be to...cover Dan Snyder to make sure none of that “culture, policies and allegations of workplace misconduct” wind up infecting the owner.

After all, Snyder didn’t hire such a top gun for her conclusion to be, yeah, the guy who is paying my fee was one of the boys.

That is what many Washington fans, current and estranged, are rooting for — that somehow, out of all this turmoil, Snyder, one of the most hated owners in all of sports, is somehow forced to sell the team.

I’ve been saying all along that the path to a Snyder exit is a trifecta of “S” — scandal, suspension and then sale.

Fellow owners are reluctant to banish one of their own. But it has happened. It is what kicked Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson out of the club, forced to sell two years ago after allegations of sexual harassment were reported in a Sports Illustrated article.

“This could be Jerry Richardson 2,” a high-ranking league source told me.

That Richardson report directly charged the owner himself, with the report that at least four former Panthers employees had received significant financial settlements due to inappropriate workplace comments and conduct by Richardson.

In 2018, another Sports Illustrated story chronicled numerous stories of sexual harassment and other improper workplace conduct within the Dallas Mavericks organization. But after a seven-month investigation by the organization, owner Mark Cuban was not directly connected to the incidents but was called out for “institutional and other failures” and, after donating $10 million to various women’s sports leadership organizations and domestic violence groups, Cuban survived.

The Post story did not implicate Snyder directly in any of the sexual harassment allegations. But it did take Snyder to task for encouraging and allowing a “sophomoric” cultural atmosphere.

The irony of this, of course, is that departed team president and their Prince of Darkness, Bruce Allen, once famously declared the culture “is actually damned good.”

I wonder if Wilkinson will be talking to the departed Allen — or the three team officials who left this week, all of whom were named in the Post report in connection with direct allegations of sexual harassment.

Two of them — Alex Santos, the team’s director of pro personnel, and Richard Mann, assistant director of pro personnel — were both fired earlier this week. Larry Michael, the team’s play-by-play announcer and senior vice president of content, suddenly “retired” this week.

All were named in the Post story in connection with claims by women of embarrassing and harassing behavior.

Will Wilkinson talk to the 15 women named in the story? After all, 14 of them spoke on the condition of anonymity, saying they feared being sued by Snyder because they had signed nondisclosure agreements as part of the terms of their employment. The team refused a request from the Post to release the women from those agreements. Will they say no to Wilkinson, too?

For anyone who is familiar with the owner or this organization, is any of this honestly a surprise?

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jul/16/loverro-no-one-can-be-surprised-latest-dysfunction/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

<USA Today article tweet>

Other than constant tying this all back to Dan's "bigotry" for clinging to the team name for so long, the article makes good points. Women are a big part of the NFL's current and future growth, and the WP article is a bad look. I would think the NFL has a pulse on the situation (the minority owners want out, which includes the CEO of FedEx, fan attendance/interest has been plummeting for years, these scandals involving women,etc.). What better sacrificial lamb would there be to say "we care about women" than Snyder?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Translation of nfl statement:

we’re going to let the redskins investigate themselves and determine they have fixed the problem. 

if we want snyder out it won’t be via the NFL removing him. It’s going to have to come via fan and sponsor pressure. 

I’m willing to bet the fan base will embrace the rebranding cash injection enough that he survives. People will buy the gear. We’ll see. 

I think that's very close. I think this will be very similar to the NFL's response to battering and abusing women a few years ago.

Reaction one: Susan Collins version of shaking the hand and giving a rebuke while doing absolutely nothing (then running out to check polling and fan reaction)

Reaction two: Fans are placated do nothing. Fans are still upset including women who the NFL has been trying hard to grow as a fan base for twenty years. Mete out a slap on the wrist.

Reaction three: Fans and politicians threaten reaction and the NFL goes nuclear to head off a cascade and league wide investigations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skinsfan999 said:

Other than constant tying this all back to Dan's "bigotry" for clinging to the team name for so long, the article makes good points. Women are a big part of the NFL's current and future growth, and the WP article is a bad look. I would think the NFL has a pulse on the situation (the minority owners want out, which includes the CEO of FedEx, fan attendance/interest has been plummeting for years, these scandals involving women,etc.). What better sacrificial lamb would there be to say "we care about women" than Snyder?

I imagine the main issue is that this is going on in other places as well and the other owners know it. So in order to save themselves they won't push for anything major like making Snyder sell the team. If you go down this road and some allegations come up about your own organization you are basically out as well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

This is unacceptable, why wouldn't the NFL demand to have their own investigators research what happened? Allowing the team to hire their own people is absolutely ridiculous. 

Because this goes on everywhere and you’ve got 31 owners saying they don’t want someone taking their team for this, so they’re not going to get on board with removing snyder. 

this is why this is a “nothingburger” in the context of removing snyder. This story is bad enough to be bad, but not bad enough to remove snyder. Is there really anyone who’s not clueless that didn’t think this sort of thing has been engrained in the culture of jock sports ? Do you think it just starts at the pro level or is somehow limited to football only? The objectification if women and this type of culture has strong roots in sports. And media and tv/movies and music. 

furthermore this follows the nfl’s trend on handling controversy: push it off the top individual teams and protect the shield. They handled the domestic abuse stuff the exact same way. 

the only caveat to all of that, in my mind, is that the nfl identified women as their biggest growth opportunity and this hurts that. 

without direct implications at snyder, they will be content to allow him to say he’s been MIA, as fans requested, for years and now he’s back to cleanup the mess others made in his absence. 

the only question left is whether us fans will allow this to go away and whether we will embrace the rebranding cash injection, or whether we will boycott the franchise and cause cash flow issues to the point the NFL says enough is enough. 

im doubtful our fan base has the stones to do it. Look at how the rebranding effort was going up until a few days ago. It will be back once gear is available. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Panninho said:

I agree and that's the sad part. Imagine if you would replace the sexism with racism, then Snyder would be out today. I don't want to compare one horrible thing to another but if this league  is serious about their own "values", you can have none of those and shouldn't treat these things differently.

Yep, I agree.  You put it better than I could.

• Like 4

The negativity will continue to snowball on Snyder, he may not be forced to sell due to this story but he has a dwindling fanbase and will lose more with the name change, a new brand (good luck getting new fans, especially women), no good stadium option, and the media will most likely turn the heat up a notch.

The final straw is the owners turning on him, they may not be able to force him out but with all these different entities applying pressure it can become unbearable.

It may take a few years but I don't see Dan being able to change the perception of this team until he leaves, it could happen but I think it's unlikely.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Don't forget to put on your pink in October to show how much you care about females. 

What a joke!

As the article states, they do care about women... especially their breasts. So they wear pink campaign couldn't be any more applicable.

• Like 2

My girlfriend said it this morning, I agree...she said maybe this is the tip of the iceberg, maybe the Post was just reporting all that they could at the time.  Maybe there's more to follow.

If anything, maybe it helps others strike up some courage to come forward to speak up about whatever else Danny has done.  

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

My girlfriend said it this morning, I agree...she said maybe this is the tip of the iceberg, maybe the Post was just reporting all that they could at the time.  Maybe there's more to follow.

If anything, maybe it helps others strike up some courage to come forward to speak up about whatever else Danny has done.  

One can only hope.

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

If the NFL actually cared as much as they claim to, they'd hire the investigators, not meet with an attorney Snyder is paying.

The Panthers hired outside legal team to handle the investigation into Richardson but one of the minority owners was also part of the investigation. The league took over the investigation 3 days later. Something like that might happen here as well, but since no allegations were leveled at Snyder and none of the minority owners are taking part in the investigation that lessens the possibility of it occurring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

....what did any of my post have to do with going to one of your threads? That was completely irrelevant to any of the conversation 😂😂😂

It dosent..I'm just calling you out for never visiting my threads...lol

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Pretty sure the lawyers got other aspects of the report blocked. What about the refs things, was that BS. What about the Gruden accusations. Again, blocked or BS???

Yeah it hit me that if you are trying to get a story out and you are being threatened perhaps with lawsuits, etc.  They might have held back on other stuff that they want to vet further.

Heck it's also a good tactic to have two different stories, two different legs. 

I got no clue if this is the case here.  But I'd bet there is another story perhaps in the offing. 

• Like 3

If more damaging stories come out about the Redskins management the league will have to look at an exit strategy to get Snyder out.

Most people think he either stays or goes but maybe there is a third option.  What if the owners meet with Snyder and say we are going to make

you an offer you cannot refuse.  You will become a minority owner of the team and a new majority owner will take over running the team and this

person will own 60% of the team and if you want to own 40% you can or you can just sell your ownership stake to someone else and just leave the team.