Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

3 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Still seems suspicious that Thom can have that much detail and guys like Keim, who is the top beat guy IMO for this franchise because he gives you the facts without snark or trying to pretty it up, only says he can't say for certainty. 

I'm a big fan of Keim, but that is his line after every story he gets scooped on.  Which happens about 8 days a week lol.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Still seems suspicious that Thom can have that much detail and guys like Keim, who is the top beat guy IMO for this franchise because he gives you the facts without snark or trying to pretty it up, only says he can't say for certainty. 

The way I took Keim's comments was he was suggesting he's heard rumors himself but can't confirm.  He didn't come off at all like get out of here Thom and that he didn't know what the heck he was talking about.   Keim's not afraid to shoot down another's story when he's heard differently. 

The thing is it's not a story.  Thom saying he heard it isn't putting forward a story.  It's putting forward a rumor.  There is no record or fact that Smith proposed an offer.   As for rumors, it's pretty rare for EVERY reporter including Keim saying he heard exactly the same thing.    They don't all have the exact same sources.

But i am tired of debating this. 😀 I can take or leave Thom as a radio personality.  But as a journalist, he never struck me as an unprofessional rumormonger.   The dude has some respect nationally including being one of the journalists who is a Hall of Fame voter and has written multiple books.  He can be annoying but I don't find him to be a clown as a reporter.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

17 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I like Keim. It seems that the reporters who are most disliked here for the most part are the strong haters and homers.  Maybe that's a coincidence.  Keim is one of the rare ones who doesn't kill Dan or Bruce but doesn't come off a fan of them either.  He comes off neutral.  That's rare.   Finlay is somewhat the same way though doesn't have Keim's scoops. 

For me, I care mostly about entertainment.  I disagreed with Sheehan for example as to his devotion to Shanny but I'll give him that he's always good at being entertaining.   So I like to listen to him whether I agree with him or not.  As for Loverro on that front, to me he's a 5 out 10.  So so.  Not boring.  Not entertaining.  Somewhere in between.  But i get the screechy voice and him being at times arrogant can rub some the wrong way.  For me, I don't mind him.  Don't love him or hate him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Still another burning question, if and when the name change is a done deal, does team heritage, records and statistics carry over  to the new era, or will we wind up like the Tennessee Titans?  I know the three Lombardi  trophies  are locked up in Ashburn, but…

1 minute ago, studzmckenzie said:

Still another burning question, if and when the name change is a done deal, does team heritage, records and statistics carry over  to the new era, or will we wind up like the Tennessee Titans?  I know the three Lombardi  trophies  are locked up in Ashburn, but…

The legacy stays, just like we own the Boston Braves brief history. I think Tennessee had to start over because tgey agreed to leave the Oilers history in Houston, something like that. 

11 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

I'm a big fan of Keim, but that is his line after every story he gets scooped on.  Which happens about 8 days a week lol.

I like Keim too.  But what it feels to me is that he's employed at a big fish (ESPN) but he's assigned a strictly local gig.  From what I usually see, you have guys like Jason La Canfora and Jason Reid come up from the local beat to the national level, and they retain their sources.  Ken Rosenthal scoops the Orioles quite a bit as well, despite having been at the national level for over 20 years.  Meanwhile, other local guys are able to scoop the story because they are "on the ground" so to speak.  Keim is stuck in the middle, where he is at a big-time publication but he's stuck on the Redskins beat.  It's really hard for him to break a story because I don't think he's there all of the time, and some people who are there are just more connected because of it.  

His reporting without snark and such is why I like him, even if he is getting scooped.  I want to know what's going on, not have someone's spin on it, and Keim is that guy.  

5 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I like Keim too.  But what it feels to me is that he's employed at a big fish (ESPN) but he's assigned a strictly local gig.  From what I usually see, you have guys like Jason La Canfora and Jason Reid come up from the local beat to the national level, and they retain their sources.  Ken Rosenthal scoops the Orioles quite a bit as well, despite having been at the national level for over 20 years.  Meanwhile, other local guys are able to scoop the story because they are "on the ground" so to speak.  Keim is stuck in the middle, where he is at a big-time publication but he's stuck on the Redskins beat.  It's really hard for him to break a story because I don't think he's there all of the time, and some people who are there are just more connected because of it.  

His reporting without snark and such is why I like him, even if he is getting scooped.  I want to know what's going on, not have someone's spin on it, and Keim is that guy.  

Keim will definitely provide the service of reiterating that he has also heard what someone else reported is going on, that's for sure.

On 7/9/2020 at 4:25 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

That said, I'm not sure "the building is in chaos" is accurate either.  What we've seen from Ron is a really steady hand on the tiller.  And sure, there is going to be chaos with the name change bomb that was dropped on them.  There's no way to avoid that chaos.

I would lean towards 'Organized Chaos'. From my experience this is the exact scenario where winners win.  Ron has been handed one egg after the other.  In these instances you must solve the issues that each egg creates.  Unfortunately, if the issues remain unresolved, then you are handed another egg...eventually you're going to drop one.  I think the visual of that egg hitting solid ground is enough of a result.  I'd imagine Ron is smart enough to know when he has too much to deal with and needs to hire for positive results.  The problem is where he wonders outside his lane. He's not the marketing genius to rebrand a historical NFL franchise.  I hope he sticks to football. 

You can’t substitute actual on the field play but the unusual circumstances this year hopefully had put more players in focus mode and given the new coaches a chance to implement a playbook geared towards the players they have.

https://theathletic.com/1923766/2020/07/12/sources-washington-fires-two-front-office-employees-ahead-of-training-camp/?source=emp-shared-article

Sources: Washington fires two front office employees ahead of training camp

USATSI_13863707-e1578004067887-1024x683.jpg
By Ben Standig and Rhiannon Walker 36m ago

The Washington Redskins fired two longtime members of the front office this weekend in the latest personnel department shakeup since hiring head coach Ron Rivera in January.

Director of Pro Personnel Alex Santos and Assistant Director of Pro Personnel Richard Mann II were dismissed, multiple sources told The Athletic.

Attempts to connect with team officials were unsuccessful.

Washington owner Daniel Snyder fired team president Bruce Allen in December after ten years in that position. Snyder then built a “coach-centered” approach with Rivera, who joined the NFC East team after nine seasons with Carolina; the Panthers fired Rivera in December, before the end of last season. Snyder did not hire a new team president, and the franchise remains without a formal general manager; vice president of player personnel Kyle Smith ran the NFL Draft with Rivera.

Washington parted ways with senior Vice President of Football Operations and general counsel...
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, slinky said:

Redskins fire two members of their football personnel department (Santos/Mann)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/12/redskins-fire-two-members-their-football-personnel-department/

I suppose their tryouts sucked. We'll probably see more movement as Ron continues to review a perennial losing organization. This is the time to do it.

7 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Well, this is why I was rooting for a disaster season last year.  The only chance we had was a complete tear down and rebuild effort.  Other than Snyder, its as blank slate as it gets around here.  Hope it works.

Not if Snyder cant replace them effectively :(

32 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Has “ANUSTART” been in the thread title the whole week? Or am i just somehow noticing it now?

No, it seem to fit the clown show we're going through right now with the ownership group.

Its from an episode of Arrested Development.

As for these firings, it would have probably been tough to cut ties before free agency and the draft so I'm not surprised Ron waited before parting ways.

Edited by JSSkinz

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/12/washington-fires-director-of-pro-personnel-assistant-director-of-pro-personnel/

Yessss. We’ve been drafting well for years. Our FA signings have been terrible. I feel like there are ten regular posters here who would have done a better job with pro personnel decision making. The positive signs keep on coming.

• Like 2