Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

3 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Doing a complete Re-brand of the team is going to have a significant impact on the immediate value of the franchise.  It's a good time for minority owners to get out before buyers realize they aren't buying the Washington Redskins.  Buyers might be getting a red/white/blue Washington Senators football team with an uncertain fan base.  Will there be a loyal fan base if the team continues to lose for another 5 years or will the team turn out to be worth Tampa $???  Time will tell.  Brands have value and Snyder isn't just a fan-boy.

I thought this too, however the Redskins brand was only valued at $230m of the $3.4b overall franchise value. It's hardly material.

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I thought this too, however the Redskins brand was only valued at $230m of the $3.4b overall franchise value. It's hardly material.

Hmmm.  I'm skeptical of that number.  It implies that all teams are worth a base 3.17B with the extra being the individual brand value.  Even so, I wouldn't want to take a $230m hit to my wallet to placate advocates that aren't fans of the team.  Now, if DC gives me a stadium at RFK to make up for it the I'm open for discussion. Money talks.

Its an NFL football team.  Someone will happily buy it, regardless of the name and color scheme.  The problem is, no one wants minority shares that cost a billion dollars and go to work for Dan Snyder.

This has the potential to get very interesting.

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Hmmm.  I'm skeptical of that number.  It implies that all teams are worth a base 3.17B with the extra being the individual brand value.  Even so, I wouldn't want to take a $230m hit to my wallet to placate advocates that aren't fans of the team.  Now, if DC gives me a stadium at RFK to make up for it the I'm open for discussion. Money talks.

Per Forbes, $231m: https://www.forbes.com/teams/washington-redskins/#2645fceb74cf

22 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Its an NFL football team.  Someone will happily buy it, regardless of the name and color scheme.  The problem is, no one wants minority shares that cost a billion dollars and go to work for Dan Snyder.

This has the potential to get very interesting.

Precisely. If Snyder sold, there were would be a line of investors. The NFL is a gold mine. However, no one wants to line up, invest that kind of money, to work for a petulant ass

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Per Forbes, $231m: https://www.forbes.com/teams/washington-redskins/#2645fceb74cf

Precisely. If Snyder sold, there were would be a line of investors. The NFL is a gold mine. However, no one wants to line up, invest that kind of money, to work for a petulant ass

Said this the day HQ2 was announced for Arlington. I knew the second HQ2 was coming to this area that Bezos could eventually make a play at the Redskins.

Bezos has said he wants to eventually own an NFL team. The NFL would be crazy not to want the richest man in the world as an owner (Plus the streaming rights through Amazon potentially). Bezos has added $34 billion to his net worth in the last 14 days ... he could easily cash out some Amazon stock and fork over whatever it would take to get Dan to move off the majority stake.

Hell, let Dan keep 5% and tell him to go sail his yacht around the world and when the team wins a Super Bowl he can still be in the parade lol

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

If in December of 2019 if you had told me that before the 2020 season we'd:

1. Have a new owner (Bezos?)

2. Have a new team name

I would have called you bat**** crazy. Throw in a global pandemic and everything else that has happened in 2020 and I would have said 0% chance you're telling the truth.

• Like 4

Don’t think Dan would be picking the new name if he was selling up.

If I was buying I don’t think I’d want the outgoing owner picking a new name and brand.

Maybe a sale could materialise quickly. No chance Dan would pick the name in that scenario.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

wouldn't it make more sense to sell the team as is and allow the new owners to pick the name, coach ,management, colors, etc etc.

what if the new owners dont like any of that stuff?

seems to me a fresh slate is what we had at the end of last year, you're talking about selling a house that's 95 percent done and hoping the prospective buyers like the renovations.

If you own the Detroit Lions, absolutely.  But how many potential owners wouldnt even touch the team because of the name and the backlash that will come from being named the new owners, even if you change the name in a few months.  You know, if the team announces a name change, they dont actually HAVE to name it before the new ownership comes in, and any name they did chose can be changed by the new ownership before the first season under the new name.  But anyone who sells anything of great value knows, you get more money for it when you lay the groundwork then if you havent.  

To use your flawed house analogy, do you sell the house with holes in the wall without fixing it, because the next buyer would prefer to chose their paint color, or do you patch and paint the walls to get the most money for it?  You dont sell a house with 3 hideous pink bathrooms and a cesspool in back because you think the new owners would like to chose the next upgrades, you reno the house to something your smart designer knows your target buyer will want, and then you sell at max money.

• Like 1

The truth I think is this: the brand under Snyder is toxic, if Snyder digs his heels in on the name, then the NFL May have to give him the Sterling treatment. Despite what anyone says, you can’t look at the decline of a flagship franchise in attendance and demographics and think that the NFL won’t at some point get involved. Yes there have been positive changes like firing Bruce Allen, but the optics still remain that Snyder is toxic, I can definitely see the NFL having Redskins fatigue over the name, and Snyder fatigue over stadium issues and the name as well. I wonder how much of Goodel’s day must be devoted to dealing with the Snyder ****storm. The other thing to add is this, for all the headaches Snyder’s causing there’s no positive ROI for the NFL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There’s no way for Daniel Snyder to right the wrongs of the past two decades. The wounds are too deep, the fan base too alienated, the dysfunction too ingrained. He forced out Marty Schottenheimer, deemed Vinny Cerrato a competent decision-maker, hired Jim Zorn as a coach and empowered Bruce Allen in matters of both football and business, therefore playing a major role in undermining Scot McCloughan and railroading Brian Lafemina. In 21 years of utter incompetence that can’t be undone, Snyder is the lone constant.

We are here, though, at a point of national reckoning that is helping lead to the long overdue name change for Snyder’s beloved NFL team. But we’re also at a personal reckoning point for the owner, who oversees an empire that is a tattered version of its former self. The team’s fan base doesn’t universally agree on whether the nickname should be changed. What it agrees on: If the owner announced he was selling the team, there would be a fight to host the biggest party.

Now, though, comes a chance for Snyder to pivot. Can he seize it? In late December, he fired Allen, almost universally reviled by the team’s fans, as its president. That Snyder has replaced him with — checks notes — no one means simply that there is no longer a fall guy, no longer a co-conspirator to help absorb the vitriol. What happens going forward is on the owner and the owner alone.

That point was made even starker Sunday with the revelation that Snyder’s minority partners in the franchise ownership group are hoping to sell their stakes. Robert Rothman, Dwight Schar and Frederick W. Smith might not seem prominent to the team’s fans. But they joined Snyder on the sidelines and in his box on Sundays. They contributed cash and counsel. In Smith’s case, they provided the company that paid Snyder $205 million for the right to call the team’s stadium FedEx Field. And they offered some measure of cover: legitimate, successful business executives who wouldn’t align themselves with Snyder if he wasn’t worth aligning with.

Maybe that’s not — gulp — a bad thing? Work with me here.

For two decades now, this franchise has endured a series of reboots, each one supposedly a path to more stable times. On the field, that’s happening again now. Allen is gone, and if you can find someone who passionately and logically argues that’s a bad thing, I’ll provide you with enough masks to last the remainder of the novel coronavirus pandemic. New coach Ron Rivera has been given uncommon authority over the football operations, bringing with him a sense of both credibility and organization. Dwayne Haskins is a young quarterback around whom they might build, and Chase Young — drafted this spring, a Prince George’s County native — gives them a potential star on defense who comes with the bonus of being local.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/06/daniel-snyder-can-view-this-moment-an-ultimatum-or-an-opportunity/?utm_campaign=wp_redskins&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

To use your flawed house analogy, do you sell the house with holes in the wall without fixing it, because the next buyer would prefer to chose their paint color, or do you patch and paint the walls to get the most money for it?  You dont sell a house with 3 hideous pink bathrooms and a cesspool in back because you think the new owners would like to chose the next upgrades, you reno the house to something your smart designer knows your target buyer will want, and then you sell at max money.

Nah disagree.

We are talking about an NFL team. One of only 32 in the world. Not a house. Who gives a **** why colour the bathrooms are when your paying £3bn. 

You pay up, clear the decks and put your own stamp on the brand. No need for pointless pissing about in between. You buy a franchise and get all the goodwill and credit from implementing the change.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Really good article by Svrluga, as usual. I generally like his approach and his takes. When he lays out all of his missteps, it's abundantly clear: Snyder is an incompetent twit who everyone hates, and no one wants to work for. All the positivity of Allen being jettisoned and Rivera and a legitimate coaching staff has already been tarnished--because of the name, because of owners wanting out. It is still a toxic environment, because of who is running it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As long as Dan owns 60% of the team, the sale of minority shares has little to no impact.  Unless he has decided to back out of majority ownership (which he apparently has not) we are stuck wih Dan.  Maybe if someone with deep pockets buys all 40% they could leverage control if we hit hard financial times.  Meantime, we got Dan and a new name coming.

18 minutes ago, evmiii said:

As long as Dan owns 60% of the team, the sale of minority shares has little to no impact.  Unless he has decided to back out of majority ownership (which he apparently has not) we are stuck wih Dan.  Maybe if someone with deep pockets buys all 40% they could leverage control if we hit hard financial times.  Meantime, we got Dan and a new name coming.

Correct, the SALE of minority shares has no impact.  The INABILITY to sell them however *could* have an impact.

Imagine a year of no football due to covid.  A rebrand of the team.  And minority owners not being able to sell because nobody wants to work with Dan in charge.  He would be under incredible pressure from multiple billionaire partners, not to mention the other 31 owners who are reportedly done with him.

8 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Nah disagree.

We are talking about an NFL team. One of only 32 in the world. Not a house. Who gives a **** why colour the bathrooms are when your paying £3bn. 

You pay up, clear the decks and put your own stamp on the brand. No need for pointless pissing about in between. You buy a franchise and get all the goodwill and credit from implementing the change.

If you think a billionaire is just going to throw any money figure out because its an NFL team and doesnt care, then I just dont think you understand how they operate.  Why wouldnt they just pay 5 billion?

Stuff that earns you an extra $5k on a house earns you an extra $50 million with a franchise.  

38 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

If you think a billionaire is just going to throw any money figure out because its an NFL team and doesnt care, then I just dont think you understand how they operate.  Why wouldnt they just pay 5 billion?

Stuff that earns you an extra $5k on a house earns you an extra $50 million with a franchise.  

Not sure which is worse; comparing NFL contracts to regular life jobs, or home improvements to the values of NFL franchises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not trying to politicize on this thread, but just over the past 5 weeks, 350 companies have pulled their money out of Facebook.  That is staggering IMO.  And companies are moving quickly. Who knows how many have pulled their money from the Redskins? These owners are more than likely pulling away from the Redskins for the sake of their own companies regardless of how they truly feel about the issues. Hell, this may very well be a power move by the minority owners. Maybe they're seeking to oust Dan while at the same time gaining popularity in their primary businesses for standing up sort of speak. It actually makes Dan out to be another Marshall. And in this day and age, he's liable to lose a lot (if not all) of the team's sponsors if he maintains his normal quiet approach. Maybe Ron's popularity around the league and in the community will serve as a foundation in an otherwise crumbling set of circumstances. Maybe Ron can reference Dan in ways that makes Snyder out to be a swell guy that is in touch with the current climate. Who ****ing knows. But at some point, Dan better sit down with some reputable news reporter and change his narrative.  Changing the name is the best move and this is the year to do it. New name, new uniform, new message, new coach, new team and new hope. Fact is, the Redskins team and name has had roughly 3-5 good years out of it's 88 year history. I remember the Wizards changed their name. I happens. All will be fine. 

Edited by joeken24
add