Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

56 minutes ago, slinky said:

Redskins fire two members of their football personnel department (Santos/Mann)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/12/redskins-fire-two-members-their-football-personnel-department/

It is odd for a team to release both the leader and assistant Pro Personnel guys.  They are responsible for quite a bit from maintaining player databases of other rostered players, free agents, other leagues, etc, and are a week ahead of the coaching staff as far as looking at video and game preparation.  Training camps are when they kick into high gear, so it is odd to replace both of them right now.  My guess is that they could be the source of the name leaks.  

On 7/10/2020 at 6:07 PM, evmiii said:

I would think a good General Manager would be extremely helpful right about now.

Sadly, Snyder didn't go that route.  He went the coach-centered approach, which has only been successful under Bill Belichick.  

A lot of coach-centered approaches are actually collaborative efforts between a coach and a GM, like what you see in Seattle and Kansas City.  But I wouldn't expect Snyder to notice those subtle differences.  

My hope is that Rivera morphs into the collaborative approach with Kyle Smith.  It would be very close to how Pete Carroll and John Schneider operate in Seattle. but I am still not sure if that happens.  

47 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Has “ANUSTART” been in the thread title the whole week? Or am i just somehow noticing it now?

The former version of this thread was locked by one of the moderators, because it jumped off the rails to discussing the name change.  My guess is that the OP put in ANUSTART to indicate a new thread being started. 

• Like 1

I find it also odd to fire them within 24 hours or so of release of name change... that looks bad... you should have positive things going on in the immediate days of such a major change... unless they were the leaders taking a leak 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/12/washington-fires-director-of-pro-personnel-assistant-director-of-pro-personnel/

Yessss. We’ve been drafting well for years. Our FA signings have been terrible. I feel like there are ten regular posters here who would have done a better job with pro personnel decision making. The positive signs keep on coming.

I don’t think we have been drafting well for years.  Not even close!

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/12/washington-fires-director-of-pro-personnel-assistant-director-of-pro-personnel/

Yessss. We’ve been drafting well for years. Our FA signings have been terrible. I feel like there are ten regular posters here who would have done a better job with pro personnel decision making. The positive signs keep on coming.

If Redskins have been drafting well for years then Redskins would have been a good team 

16 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Matt Ionidas

Chase Young

Preston Smith

Mclaurin 

Reed..yes that injured prone Reed

Scherff 

Tress Way

Kyle Fuller...we did draft him right?

Quinton Dunbar

Kirk Cousins

Trent Murphy

Jeremy Sprinkle

Moses...hit n miss kinda

A list of players we drafted some still here some not quite proven one who hasn't seen the field yet but I think we've done a decent job drafting.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, -JB- said:

We've been doing better during the Gruden tenure.  Missing a few of those first rounders hurt in 2013 and 2014.  We usually whiff on second rounders, and normally our mid-rounders don't turn out to be starters, but rather depth players.  Ionaidis is the lone exception, and we actually cut him before bringing him back.  

What also hurts is that we end up picking in the middle of the round and not usually having the chance for top-flight talent.  We also spent heavily recently on the defensive line so the talent is not as spread out as one would hope.  Our linebacker and TE corps are arguably the worst units in the league, certainly in the running for top five worst.  The WR corps are a bottom 10 group, as is the secondary.  

I've said this is going to take 2-3 drafts to really turn this team around.  

14 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Matt Ionidas

Chase Young

Preston Smith

Mclaurin 

Scherff 

Tress Way

Quinton Dunbar

Kirk Cousins

Trent Murphy

Jeremy Sprinkle

Moses...hit n miss kinda

A list of players we drafted some still here some not quite proven one who hasn't seen the field yet but I think we've done a decent job drafting.

I would not put any players that has not seen the field on the list until they prove it

Edited by KWilliamsAWinfield
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slinky said:

I find it also odd to fire them within 24 hours or so of release of name change... that looks bad... you should have positive things going on in the immediate days of such a major change... unless they were the leaders taking a leak 

Unless you wanna bury it.  It comes out on a Sunday, then the name comes out in a day or two.  Nobody will even remember this happened.  As if people knew these two guys even existed before just now.

16 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Matt Ionidas

Chase Young

Preston Smith

Mclaurin 

Scherff 

Tress Way

Quinton Dunbar

Kirk Cousins

Trent Murphy

Jeremy Sprinkle

Moses...hit n miss kinda

The Redskins have legit one of the worst roster in the league, man.  It’s not even really debatable.

• Confused 1

I was wondering if this would happen.  In recent years, we've been really good at drafting.  But the pro personnel side both in term of who to retain or not, trade for, and who to sign in FA has been mostly bad or not good enough IMO.  So if its Kyle wanting to remake it with people he likes, I am all in favor. 

As for the drafting debate here.  Most say, Parcells, Kiper, etc if you pull 2-3 starters in a draft you had a good draft.  Most picks are busts not successes.  It's a bit of a crap shoot.  

Using those numbers, Kyle has had some really good drafts.  

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

Historic Success Chart

The numbers show us the following outline for finding consistent starters:

1st Round - OL (83%) LB (70%) TE (67%) DB (64%) QB (63%) WR (58%) RB (58%) DL (58%)

2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%)

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

4th Round - DL (37%) TE (33%) OL (29%) LB (16%) WR(12%) DB (11%) RB (11%) QB (8%)

5th Round - TE (32%) DB (17%) WR (16%) OL (16%) DL (13%) RB (9%) LB (4%) QB (0%)

6th Round - TE (26%) OL (16%) DL (13%) WR (9%) DB (8%) RB (6%) LB (5%) QB (0%)

7th Round - DB (11%) OL (9%) QB (6%) WR (5%) DL (3%) LB (2%) RB (0%) TE (0%)

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Not if Snyder cant replace them effectively :(

I think Rivera will be replacing them.  That could be a good or bad thing, depending on who Ron hires.

Why do I say who Ron decides?  I think there's no way he takes this job unless he had an incredible amount of power given to him.  After all Dallas and NY would've been better places for him.   I think he will get to bring in the personnel people he wants.

Edited by Rdskns2000

Anyone see JP Finlays tweet tonight? 

“A real busy week. And it’s not all going to be about the name and it’s not all going to be pretty”

da **** is he talking about? Is some **** going to be going down this week (aside from the obvious)? What wouldn’t be pretty? 

im scared😂

11 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Anyone see JP Finlays tweet tonight? 

“A real busy week. And it’s not all going to be about the name and it’s not all going to be pretty”

da **** is he talking about? Is some **** going to be going down this week (aside from the obvious)? What wouldn’t be pretty? 

im scared😂

On top of that, he responded to someone guessing that it was about replacing these Pro Personnel guys and he said nope...so it's something else.

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

On top of that, he responded to someone guessing that it was about replacing these Pro Personnel guys and he said nope...so it's something else.

What else could there be though? Ownership? We already know the 3 minority owners want to sell their stake in the team, so it couldn’t be that.... 

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

What else could there be though? Ownership? We already know the 3 minority owners want to sell their stake in the team, so it couldn’t be that.... 

Dan's moving the team to Russia?

13 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Someone in the Tailgate thread said it might be about forfeited draft picks. Which it might be, but the tweets from Finlay and the ABC7 guy make it sound more ominous

To me, if it's not a big name dropping out due to Covid, it's probably forfeited draft picks due to something they did, or it could be another guy getting fired (or both.). If it's as big as they say, it might be Kyle Smith or Doug Williams. 

6 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

To me, if it's not a big name dropping out due to Covid, it's probably forfeited draft picks due to something they did, or it could be another guy getting fired (or both.). If it's as big as they say, it might be Kyle Smith or Doug Williams. 

Losing Kyle would be disappointing. Doug? Ehhh. Even though a person's ties to the glory years certainly shouldn't be a disqualifier to currently holding a position, I'd like the team to move on from the nostalgia.