Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR Liberty

zCommander

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

Rice took almost no time to develop.  In his rookie year, he was third on the team in receptions and averaged almost 19 yards per catch.  Remember, this was for a team that went to the SB the year before so already had its starting WR pair (albeit Solomon was old and Clark was in his late prime) and threw a lot to its RB anyway.  In his second year, he was all-pro, was statistically the best WR in the NFL and only had a few better seasons.

Yeah there are those guys who are just super rare and are almost immediately playing at an All-Pro level. 

Randy Moss in 1998 comes to mind. 1st team All-Pro, 1300+ yards and 17 TDs as a rookie. Though Moss was a bit of a different animal...he didn't have the polish of Rice as a rookie, but he was just so ludicrously gifted that absolutely nobody could really cover him. It was like if JJ Watt had gone back in time to the NFL of the 1960s. It was silly to watch.

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Randy Moss in 1998 comes to mind. 1st team All-Pro, 1300+ yards and 17 TDs as a rookie. Though Moss was a bit of a different animal...he didn't have the polish of Rice as a rookie, but he was just so ludicrously gifted that absolutely nobody could really cover him. It was like if JJ Watt had gone back in time to the NFL of the 1960s. It was silly to watch.

He was so good, he made Daunte Culpepper a good QB.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Please tell me we're not comparing this kid to the two best WRs ever lolol

Have seen what this cat can do with a rubik’s cube?!

He does not have to compare himself to them. They compare themselves to him. He is the new measuring stick.

Drops Zombie hand. (Just as good as a mike, right?)

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/antonio-gandy-golden

He's got an unusual physical profile.  He's a deep threat with a slow 40 and bottom percentile agility still times.  He gets bumped off course by physical coverage but has top percentile size and upper body strength.  Doesn't make sense.

What attribute(s) does the broad jump connect with on the football field? I understand it’s an explosive movement. When I watch him it seems he has a good burst (great for his size) and hoping the broad jump substantiates this thought, due to him testing well there. I think it’s critical for the big guys without top end speed to have “burst” to requiring the dbs to respect the slant at all times. 

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Please tell me we're not comparing this kid to the two best WRs ever lolol

Not sure where you got that. It was sort of a side discussion about rookie WRs who came in and immediately played at an All-Pro level. Very few have done it, including Rice and Moss. I don't think any of us were making any sort of comparison between AGG and those guys.

• Like 1

My bad thinking that Rice took a couple years to develop. I just remember a lot of drops early in his career plus I’m sure having Montana throwing the ball helped get his numbers in his 2nd year. Rice was a first rounder even coming from a small school. My point is AGG will take some time to develop. If Rice isn’t a good example look at Jimmy Smith or Andre Reed or Rod Smith of Denver. All were later round picks and didn’t have to deal with Covid. My poiny is how do we expect AGG to come in and make an impact right away.

I really think we need Latimer back or a different veteran or Haskins growth is going to be stunted. Turner better come up with plays that will move us down the field in big chunks or we will have a lot of 10-12 play drives and score few points. All teams need to do is double TMac, put the most agile slot corner on Sims and keep an extra safety in the box for whoever plays running back. 

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/antonio-gandy-golden

He's got an unusual physical profile.  He's a deep threat with a slow 40 and bottom percentile agility still times.  He gets bumped off course by physical coverage but has top percentile size and upper body strength.  Doesn't make sense.

The worst case scenario that we have to hope against hope isn’t reality is that he was a deep threat despite all of that mainly because he was playing against future realtors a lot of the time. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, SB17 said:

I don’t live in the DC/MD/VA area any more, and I don’t get the full team coverage anymore so I may have missed something, but where did  Antonio Gandy-Golden go?  Injured?  If not, does he dress for games?

IR - Hamstring, expected to return Week 12 which is this week, but the short week makes that basically impossible.  Look to him to return to practice next week imho. 

Edited by OVCChairman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Disappointing, sure.  

It's not like we've got a ton of depth at the position outside of TMC.  Now maybe he wasn't getting it done at practice either, we don't always get to see behind the scenes.  But I don't understand why they wouldn't want to see if they couldn't develop him a little more.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Disappointing, sure.  

It's not like we've got a ton of depth at the position outside of TMC.  Now maybe he wasn't getting it done at practice either, we don't always get to see behind the scenes.  But I don't understand why they wouldn't want to see if they couldn't develop him a little more.  

Count me as happy to see this team move on from players that never flash or materialize. In past we held on to guys like this for too long hoping for something that’s never gonna happen. This season is done anyways.

• Like 1

But before the season is done without a ton of depth? He messed up, or wasn't focused on football or I don't know.

Staff in full evaluation mode now. It's one way of getting them to play out the season with effort. Always harder to get another job in the NFL when you're already on the street when the season is over. 

• Like 1