Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR Liberty

zCommander

20 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Source 1: “They got a smart dude who can do a Rubik’s Cube. I don’t think you do Rubik’s Cube in football. I’ve seen a lot of guys who can’t do a Rubik’s Cube, but boy, are they football smart and are situational football smart. Your quarterback. He’s not very situational football smart. He’s taking a selfie with somebody. That’s a great story about the Rubik’s Cube. But really, who cares? Yeah, if I need him to teach me that, I want to meet him. Let him teach me how to do that stuff. But you know, I want to know if he can catch the ball and run and win games for me. Right? It’s all about production again. He has talent, there’s no question about it. You can tell people like, and we all see things a little differently, have different values. Some people like light beer, some like IPAs. I like all beers.”

W...T...F? :pint:

That might be the most incoherent thing I've ever read by someone pretending to be a sports analyst.

Edited by Rex Tomb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

He's a good bit twitchier than I thought. 

I don't know... Compare this to McLaurin's senior bowl practices. He was destroying DBs with his route running skills. AGG right here looks like he's going to struggle getting open against NFL DBs. 

Kind of unfair to compare him to McClaurin. Different player. McClaurin has got speed. AGG doesn't, so he needs to beat a corner with smarts and route running. Looks he'll do okay against zones, but struggle in man which is what one would expect. Part of me still wonders given his size if we could convert him to a tight end.

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

He's a good bit twitchier than I thought

The good news is that he can win strong outside leverage and get a couple of steps on vertical routes and he's got the talent to adjust to the ball and lay out for throws.  Corners aren't going to be able to just sit on all the underneath stuff with him, he's a legitimate deep threat.  That's a very real concern with guys who don't run fast.

He's got size too.  He walls you off from the ball, especially on low routes and hitches/comebacks.  His catch radius is high end and once he gets a rhythm with his qb and gets stronger, he'll be able to lean on a db and just pluck back shoulder bucket throws and field side low and away stuff.

The bad news is it looks like he really struggles with physicality through the stem.  And he had a hard time getting a good release and winning inside leverage against decent press coverage.  He's not that explosive or tricky off the line, and he needs to gather himself up a little to redirect.  And his play strength doesn't match his size yet.  This is where the tough transition from his lower level of competition really shows up.  But you're right, he is twitchier than he looks.  He exploded out of some of those breaks and he's got some nice tricks for selling a deep break to DBs that should get him open quickly enough to be useful in the intermediate game.

If he can get strong and get better at dealing with physical bump and run coverage, he could get good.  The catch radius and talent for adjusting to downfield throws and the strong vertical element to his game are the foundation for a good outside receiver.  It also helps him to be a #2 (at best) who isn't going to see a lot of shaded safety zones.  I think he's basically just going to get single coverage while McLaurin is out there.  And it will help him that Haskins is an instinctive thrower who will work with you on adjustments to exploit leverage issues that show up post-snap and place the ball at the adjustment you need to make.  He's got a good chance to be productive here, this is a good situation for him.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The bad news is it looks like he really struggles with physicality through the stem.

Maybe it's the homer in me, but it looked like a couple of those, he got straight up mugged. And given the NFL's penchant for increasing offense, he might get garner some flags

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Maybe it's the homer in me, but it looked like a couple of those, he got straight up mugged. And given the NFL's penchant for increasing offense, he might get garner some flags 

Yeah, but you can't count on that. An NFL press corner knows how to skirt the line and they'll mug you all game and take you out of it and it'll be worth the one time they get flagged.  Your best bet is to fight back and/or make them afraid to crowd you like that by getting steps on them.

I think he's going to need some time to get stronger so he can bully these guys back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah, but you can't count on that. An NFL press corner knows how to skirt the line and they'll mug you all game and take you out of it and it'll be worth the one time they get flagged.  Your best bet is to fight back and/or make them afraid to crowd you like that by getting steps on them.

I think he's going to need some time to get stronger so he can bully these guys back.

Well he certainly has the frame for it. it looked to me he was beating these corners pretty well, except for when he was getting assaulted. His size and hands, he won't need a large window to make a play. I guess we'll see.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Well he certainly has the frame for it. it looked to me he was beating these corners pretty well, except for when he was getting assaulted. His size and hands, he won't need a large window to make a play. I guess we'll see.

True, but at the same time also remember that many of those in-game plays were against competition that was much lower than what he faced at the Senior Bowl. His Senior Bowl reps don't look all that great, but I do like the raw talent that he has. He'll need to develop his route running and how sudden he gets into and out of breaks...the DBs in the Senior Bowl clips weren't biting at all and were sticking with him pretty well. 

It's interesting because it almost looks like he has the theory of good route running down relatively well but he just doesn't have the actual movements down yet. Hopefully that will come with more experience.

• Like 2

It'll be a tough adjustment from Liberty to the NFL for sure.  He's going to have to get used to all of that physicality in the contact window.  But he can definitely improve his strength and balance in order to make the adjustment to the type of competition he'll be playing against now.  And he can work on his bag of tricks for making guys pay for crowding him through the stem.

I thought he was going to be a possession and short game receiver, so seeing he had such a strong vertical element to his game was a pleasant surprise for me.  That's promising.  I think his ability to get open deep will translate to the NFL, especially if he's not having to deal with that safety.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

AGG contracted and recovered from COVID-19. 

Well, the silver lining is that it reinforces the rookie scouting report that he catches everything. Glad he got well.

Edited by nonniey
  • Haha 5

On 5/20/2020 at 1:16 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

Damn this virus

Yeah no kidding... we were just talking about this dude in the receiver thread then I asked when abouts we could see our facility opening up then this news breaks glad to hear he's doing well and recovered okay

On 4/25/2020 at 7:24 PM, Redskin4ever said:

Reading this thread, we should probably keep a list of names he's already being compared to.  

Jerry Rice

Calvin Johnson

Julio Jones

Hines Ward

Alshon Jeffery

Niles Paul

Josh Doctson

Robert Davis

Cam Sims

Did I miss any?

Anthony Mix?

Edited by Redskins Reparations

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Juggling ability is probably a great quality for a receiver to have.

If he has the concentration to juggle 4 balls, and says in this interview that "it's not that difficult", then "juggling" just one football in the air, probably seems super easy.

He was one of my favorites of the receivers when it came to ability to retain fine motor control in surprise, quick twitch situations. I think I had him in a lower but close tier to Ceedee Lamb in that specific category. 

Most guys get spasmodic to some degree in those situations. They get too tight and can’t muster the precision and smoothness on a consistent basis to adjust and corral the ball like AGG has shown. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 1

https://youtu.be/18rTcZYOffs

I dont know how to embed videos but this is a cutup of gandy golden playing umass.

Been doing some homework on him and after watching this, I really believe he could be the biggest sleeper on the squad. 

The thing about GG that I started to realize after watching a whole game as opposed to just highlights is that he essentially was used like we all used randy moss in madden when he was at his peak.  They just lobbed the ball up to him deep on jump ball plays, no matter the coverage, and he consistently took the ball from whoever was on him.   Everyone on the defense knows he getting the ball and more often then not he is being interfered with and held.  it never  mattered.  He just dominated. 

This guy never had an accurate or strong arm qb or and offense that did much to scheme him open.  He was a one man wrecking crew that just ran down the field and took the ball over everyone and anyone.

When he gets the benefit of a modern offense, a qb with arm strength, and a chance to fly under the radar a bit,  he is going to really surprise some folks.

High hopes for him.  HTTR. 

• Like 1