Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

3IAj33T.jpg
It's subtle, but you can see the deceleration of new cases happening a little at a time. It took three weeks for **** to get completely out of hand all over the world and it could take just as long to see an obvious improvement, but a lot of (non-US) countries are seeing positive results from their efforts.

And it's not just new cases. The growth rate in COVID-19 deaths worldwide was between 10-14% every day for three straight weeks, but this week we've seen that number drop to around 8% and as low as 7%. It doesn't seem like much, but we haven't seen a growth rate that low since March 14. Not even once. Three days in the last seven have posted a drop in deaths from the previous day, whereas before it was primarily a steady climb upward.

Lockdowns are dreary and have an enormous economic impact but they are working. It's incredibly unfortunate that the US wasn't more unified in its approach. We could have saved many lives and created a reliable timeline for recovery.

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, visionary said:

I have no doubts the Trump admin hasn’t proven competent in dealing with the UN, but the UN was never going to save us during this crisis.  Falling short and failing to act decisively is what the UN does best.  Well that and undercutting their own credibility with issues like this (From that article):

China, which held the Security Council presidency in March, when the illness was declared a pandemic and began to overwhelm some European and American health systems, did not call a meeting on it.

Whatever good they’ve done in the past it’s clear the world has lost faith in it as an organization.  With good reason.  

The WHO isn’t untainted by this either.  Watch this incredibly awkward call between some poor doctor working with the world health organization and a Taiwanese reporter.

WHO’s director has since accused Taiwan of directing a racist campaign against him.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Well, then it will be bad to watch, because I don't see how can a defense play and tackle if they have to keep a 6ft social distancing...

TD on every play is gonna rack up stats!

They can't keep us inside forever, saving the NFL season will depend on antibodies tests for players at least.  That's why empty stadiums is best case scenario, I don't expect to be able go see a game live at least until 2021.

The number of people who’s brains work in such a way that they choose to believe what Trump says over people that have devoted their entire professional life to epidemiology and virology and healthcare is crazy

if you created an alternative scenario that didn’t involve politics and and showed them a person that would believe the guy that knows nothing about it over the worlds leading experts, they would call that person an idiot. 

Make it about politics, and they’re overly eager to share with everyone around them that they’re the idiot. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

So now that we’ve had more deaths than the flu, will the people pushing the “it’s the flu” nonsense stop?

of course not. Because the problem wasn’t that they didn’t understand it’s not like the flue. The problem was, and is, that they’re stupid. 

• Like 12

27 minutes ago, tshile said:

The number of people who’s brains work in such a way that they choose to believe what Trump says over people that have devoted their entire professional life to epidemiology and virology and healthcare is crazy

There are people who you normally think are intelligent that you cant believe what comes out of their mouths.

The other day a guy at work tells me that Trump said that 100,000 people are going to die in the next two weeks and then that Trump gets criticized if he downplays the virus and then criticized for being serious about it. Trump NEVER said there would be a six-figure death toll in two weeks and I have not heard anyone criticize him for realizing the potential toll.

I dont like any of the cable news networks, but the same day we had a TV with the sound down on MSNBC and the chyron said something about the African American toll looks to be proportionally larger. Another dude starts going off on how MSNBC is racist and how this is another way to blame Trump..

Good luck having an intelligent conversation with anyone these days.

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

So now that we’ve had more deaths than the flu, will the people pushing the “it’s the flu” nonsense stop?

of course not. Because the problem wasn’t that they didn’t understand it’s not like the flue. The problem was, and is, that they’re stupid. 

Oh come on T that's fake news. 35 million people in the US died in like a six day timeframe from H1N1 in 2009........

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, tshile said:

Trump and his cronies, Carlson, Hannity, etc. have sold folks 'fake news', conspiracy theories, and the like for so long that they are brainwashed to believe anything you see outside of Fox News is meant to 'drive fear' and push ratings.  To the extent that they'd believe a celebrity doc like Dr. Drew or Dr. Oz over people who are actually educated, experienced, and dedicated to the actual crisis at hand.  It's freaking bizarro world.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Trump and his cronies, Carlson, Hannity, etc. have sold folks 'fake news', conspiracy theories, and the like for so long that they are brainwashed to believe anything you see outside of Fox News is meant to 'drive fear' and push ratings.  To the extent that they'd believe a celebrity doc like Dr. Drew or Dr. Oz over people who are actually educated, experienced, and dedicated to the actual crisis at hand.  It's freaking bizarro world.

The sad part is now they are even accusing Fox of being fake news if they say anything against trump. Instead they are turning to the real nuttso places like OAN, Drudge Report and Breitbart. They make Fox look like the beacon of truth. 

I have a friend who lives on the Eastern Shore - works in Salisbury. She was at a gas station/convenience store and overheard the owner telling a deliveryman the Corona Virus was planted by the Chinese to keep Christians from observing Easter in church where they belong. Just not sure what you do with that. That level of mind numbing ignorance is hard to penetrate. 

• Like 7

For a number of yeas the GoP had been anti-science and anti-intellectual. It was bizarre to see medical doctors make statements that would have caused them to fail medical school.

But in time of Trump it's got so much worse. The military who were beyond criticism are just part of the corrupt and evil deep state now if they dissent. How could the right-wing press have supported someone who said "I know more than the generals", never mind the behavior of the GoP House toward those testifying in the Ukraine hearing. Every single person who has served their country with honor for decades is a liar because what they say is critical of Trump.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The sad part is now they are even accusing Fox of being fake news if they say anything against trump. Instead they are turning to the real nuttso places like OAN, Drudge Report and Breitbart. They make Fox look like the beacon of truth. 

No doubt, I was more speaking directly to Hannity and Carlson who never go against Trump under any circumstances.  There are some, keyword: some, more level headed on the channel.

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I have a friend who lives on the Eastern Shore - works in Salisbury. She was at a gas station/convenience store and overheard the owner telling a deliveryman the Corona Virus was planted by the Chinese to keep Christians from observing Easter in church where they belong. Just not sure what you do with that. That level of mind numbing ignorance is hard to penetrate. 

I've both heard and seen so many off the wall takes about this, that doesn't surprise me at all.  The mental gymnastics it requires to buy into some of this stuff is astounding.  From the 5G theory, to the deep state wanting to ruin Trump's economy, etc.  It's all just insane.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Ho. Lee. ****.

If this is an actual healthcare worker, we're doomed lol...

i

i don’t think she is. I remember her face and read an article about her being fake and spreading misinformation online. However, I can’t find the article right now. I remember one thing about the article was that she did I not have all of her hair under the hairnet. I’ve honestly never paid attention to nurses and their hairnets, so I cannot say if that is true or not. But, based off what I read, she is fake.

• Like 1

\Husband of grandma who accidentally invited teenager to Thanksgiving dies of COVID-19

Lonnie and Wanda Dench gained national attention after an accidental Thanksgiving text to teenager Jamal Hinton led to a beloved annual tradition. Condolence messages poured in after Hinton announced that Lonnie passed away after contracting the coronavirus.

Edited by Cooked Crack
  • Sad 1

Over 16 million unemployment claims already

by the time the naysayers realize they were wrong and we should have started sending everyone checks the day we finally shut down, it’ll be too late. Probably already is

the fact that these are mostly the same people stuck on the “the cure is worse than the disease” nonsense  is ironic.

they are also the same people who think we could have just not shut down and the death toll (and the toll of people just being out of work) would somehow not itself be devastating to the economy. 

my fear that hatred, bias, prejudice, and selfishness would prevent us from unifying was just way overthinking it. 

it really just comes down to them not being smart. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Die Hard said:

I never got the memo about ‘fonts’ being racial!!! Lol

Die Hard, some time ago there was an informal push for people to use the Comic Sans font on the site to indicate sarcasm.  In a world of Donal Trump the lines between farce and reality, and sarcasm and earnestness have blurred so much that people often can't tell the difference.  Hence, Comic Sans, e.g.:

I feel safer that the President trusts his gut on medical issues over the so-called medical experts.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

they are also the same people who think we could have just not shut down and the death toll (and the toll of people just being out of work) would somehow not itself be devastating to the economy. 

It's not even just the piling death toll in the deranged MAGA talking point of "cure worse than the disease". They can open up the economy and tell everyone to go eat at restaurants and go shop at malls and book flights, go on a cruise. Everything is wonderful and death is a part of life!

And you know what would happen? At least 60-70% of the population that isn't a brain dead MAGA cultist will sit their ass at home when they see body bags piling outside of hospitals and when they hear stories of people in their communities getting sick of a virus, for which most people can't even get tested. The inevitable scenes of crowded hospitals are going to scare the living **** out of everyone.

Maybe 30% of the sociopaths in this country will decide that owning the libs by getting violently sick is the most patriotic thing you can do. They'll go to AppleBees and down 20 margaritas a day and eat all of the freedom fries in the world to stick it to the lying fake news media. And businesses would still go out of business because most operate on margins that require the entire general population to be actively participating in the economy.

This is a crisis where the only answer is actually listening to your experts. And right now this federal government isn't doing diddly squad with the time that the current lockdown has bought us. I am at a loss of words for the federal government cutting funding for nationwide testing. Right now we need to be pushing contact tracing programs all over the country like every other developed country that has this under control enough to open some sectors of the economy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Aren't "areas with high levels of poverty" also "areas with high poopulation density"?  

Not necessarily, poverty levels in NM are among the highest, pop densities are among the lowest.  Albq has some high density low income but not the rest of the state.  Suspect Appalachia is similar.  We seem to be doing better than they are. 

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Die Hard, some time ago there was an informal push for people to use the Comic Sans font on the site to indicate sarcasm.  In a world of Donal Trump the lines between farce and reality, and sarcasm and earnestness have blurred so much that people often can't tell the difference.  Hence, Comic Sans, e.g.:

I feel safer that the President trusts his gut on medical issues over the so-called medical experts.

You’re a beautiful soul Dan. Thank you for taking the time to explain and providing such a crafted response. Cheers.

My reintroduction into this community is humming along 😎

• Like 4