Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

4 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Where is critical thinking taught? 🙂

Where should it be taught?

Who/what is responsible for teaching it?

Is there a larger point to you asking me these questions?

Unofficially the opportunity to learn and model critical thinking skills can occur all throughout life, from parents to peers, to self-teaching through taking on a "pathless road" of figuring things out for yourself and testing your results and analysis in a systematic and progressive way, which would also involve critical peer review. 

Officially, I'd have to dive deeper into what schools and colleges are currently teaching people and then differentiate them based on whatever streams of data I find and their co-determinant variables.

The teaching and application of critical thinking should be pervasive in all walks of life.

We have a shared responsibility as a human race to teach ourselves and each other how to develop, exercise, and maintain the capabilities needed for critical thinking. We can talk about degrees of responsibility commensurate to degrees of capability with critical thinking, but no single person or group is either 0% responsible or 100% responsible. Again, we all share responsibility, because we are all effected by the decisions made by humanity to a greater or lesser degree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

hiya dh :)

i know you didn't start it, and this is a reminder for others, too, but we do a thing where we tell folks not to extend off-topic tangents too much

iow, be slow or even reluctant to add to a digression, but if ya do, don't "go on" at length or openly invite others to join in on the tangent, and this would be one of those deals  :)

just fyi---the policy is for members to not reply to, or comment on, any moderating-only post such as this in the thread

any such comments go in the feedback/ tech support forum per rule

Ok. That's fair. That's a practice I appreciate as a reader too. Cheers.

Federal Support Ends For Coronavirus Testing Sites As Pandemic Peak Nears

Some local officials are disappointed the federal government will end funding for coronavirus testing sites this Friday. In a few places those sites will close as a result. This as criticism continues that not enough testing is available.

In the Philadelphia suburbs, Montgomery County has a drive-through site that has tested 250 people a day since March 21.

"It has been a very successful site. We are hoping by the time it closes Friday afternoon that we will have tested a little over 5,000 individuals," says Dr. Valerie Arkoosh, who chairs the commission in the county of more than 825,000 people.

Arkoosh says local officials staffed the site and the federal government provided much-needed testing supplies and access to a lab. "This site came with a contract with LabCorp, who accepted 250 samples from this site every day," and she says the county is not able to secure the supplies and tests on its own.

Arkoosh says the site, located on a local college campus, will shut down Friday. Similar announcements have been made in Colorado Springs, Colo., and nearby Philadelphia.

A spokesperson for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services tells NPR, "Many of the Community-Based Testing Sites (CBTS) are not closing, but rather transitioning to state-managed sites on or about April 10."

The agency and a spokesperson for FEMA say the CBTS program originally included 41 sites. It was intended as a stop-gap to bring testing to critical locations, especially for health care facility workers and first responders.

"The transition will ensure each state has the flexibility and autonomy to manage and operate testing sites within the needs of their specific community and to prioritize resources where they are needed the most," the HHS spokesperson said.

Arkoosh says local hospitals do have their own testing sites set up now, but it's not yet clear if they will be able to handle the extra testing now that the federal help is being withdrawn.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 3

see the off topic tangent continuing? (fresh's psot above---it's ok fresh :ols:)

(but it could be a new thread---i still have two books from the 7th grade which was the year i dropped out of school---one is logic and critical thinking by lionel ruby and the other is reasoning and argument by john schneider---they were coursework for 13 years olds then, under the english department...it seems such became rare a number of decades ago---and here i step on my  own mod instruction a bit, to encourage the new thread if people want such)

now let's go ahead and stop the tangent here, please :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, China said:

Federal Support Ends For Coronavirus Testing Sites As Pandemic Peak Nears

Some local officials are disappointed the federal government will end funding for coronavirus testing sites this Friday. In a few places those sites will close as a result. This as criticism continues that not enough testing is available.

3w0oyf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

Massachusetts sewage suggests more than 100K coronavirus cases in state: MIT lab

Just one section of Massachusetts could have more than 100,000 coronavirus cases — many times more than the entire state has identified at this point, according to an MIT-associated study of local sewage.

Biobot Analytics, which is a lab associated with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, published research this week that an analysis of sewage from a treatment facility in “a large metropolitan area in the state of Massachusetts” suggested that many more people potentially have the highly contagious disease than tests have confirmed.

“On March 25, the area represented by the sample had approximately 446 confirmed cases of Covid-19,” Biobot researchers wrote Wednesday in a post about their research. “Based on our sewage analysis, we estimate that up to 115,000 people are infected and shedding the SARS-CoV-2 virus.”

Biobot, which didn’t respond to requests for comment, didn’t specify where in the state the samples came from.

------------------------

Meat plants are shutting down as workers get sick

New York (CNN Business)Across the country, major meat processors are starting to shut down plants as employees are getting infected by coronavirus.

Tyson (TSN), one of the world's largest meat processors, suspended operations at its Columbus Junction, Iowa, pork plant this week after more than two dozen workers contracted Covid-19 there. Tyson said it would divert livestock that was headed to Columbus Junction to other pork plants in the region to minimize the impact on its production.

JBS USA, another major meat processor, has stopped operations at its beef plant in Souderton, Pennsylvania with plans to reopen April 16, after two weeks. The company decided to close the facility after several members of the plant's management team stopped going to work because they were experiencing flu-like symptoms, a company representative explained, adding that all other JBS USA's plants are still open. Cargill has also paused operations at its protein plant in Hazleton, Pennsylvania, where 900 people typically work.

50 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I don't even know why you would engage someone like that.  You're part of the problem by doing so.  Those kind of people are already so far lost there is no changing their mind so there is no reason to engage them.

Yes, I'm part of the problem. Pound sand. 

The context of all the crazy talk is people talking about things should just be normal now. It's important to push back and educate where one can. Someone didn't understand why the governor of Va wanted to toss all the absentee ballots if the May election was moved to November. They thought something was up. After I explained it to them, they thanked me and said it made sense.

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, China said:

Massachusetts sewage suggests more than 100K coronavirus cases in state: MIT lab

Just one section of Massachusetts could have more than 100,000 coronavirus cases — many times more than the entire state has identified at this point, according to an MIT-associated study of local sewage.

Biobot Analytics, which is a lab associated with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, published research this week that an analysis of sewage from a treatment facility in “a large metropolitan area in the state of Massachusetts” suggested that many more people potentially have the highly contagious disease than tests have confirmed.

“On March 25, the area represented by the sample had approximately 446 confirmed cases of Covid-19,” Biobot researchers wrote Wednesday in a post about their research. “Based on our sewage analysis, we estimate that up to 115,000 people are infected and shedding the SARS-CoV-2 virus.”

Biobot, which didn’t respond to requests for comment, didn’t specify where in the state the samples came from.

------------------------

That's fascinating but they really need to say how they are taking samples. 

1)  Leave it to China to find a China-worthy news story for the Covid thread.  Seriously, sewage analysis?  

2)  And **** gonna get serious if this starts to interfere with bacon.  

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

That's fascinating but they really need to say how they are taking samples. 

Turkey baster?  

Edited by Larry
  • Haha 1

CDC website drops guidance, anecdotal data on Trump-backed hydroxychloroquine as COVID-19 treatment

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has abruptly switched its guidance for use of a drug touted by President Donald Trump as a possible treatment for COVID-19, dropping its reference to anecdotal dosages to say simply that there are no approved drugs for dealing with the disease.

The CDC's online advice for hydroxychloroquine was updated April 7, three days after Reuters reported that the CDC was offering what the news agency called "highly unusual guidance" for the drug's use based on "unattributed anecdotes rather than peer-reviewed science."

The updated, and shortened, guidance says simply that "hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are under investigation in clinical trials” for use on coronavirus patients and "there are no drugs or other therapeutics approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to prevent or treat COVID-19."

The CDC originally told Reuters that the earlier guidance was crafted for doctors at the request of a White House coronavirus task force, which had urged prompt action. 

More: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/04/08/coronavirus-cdc-removes-guidance-hydroxychloroquine-treatment/2967852001/

~~~

Dr. Trump is NOT going to be happy...

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Not really sure what you mean that it's not being talked about.  Since day one it's been known that people with pre-existing conditions are more at risk.

No dude they have defined underlying conditions as hypertension, heart disease, diabetes and lung issues. Obesity can obviously cause some of those. Even in this thread the doctors who have chimed in didn’t think being fat but otherwise healthy put you in the vulnerable category. 40% of Americans are obese. The information is not being presented that 40% are at high risk. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

No dude they have defined underlying conditions as hypertension, heart disease, diabetes and lung issues. Obesity can obviously cause some of those. Even in this thread the doctors who have chimed in didn’t think being fat but otherwise healthy put you in the vulnerable category. 40% of Americans are obese. The information is not being presented that 40% are at high risk. 

Maybe I should write papers about this then since I'm a genius because to me that was common sense as to why younger people in America were dying from it.

I never read any details I just had heard "pre-existing health conditions" and just used common sense.  Are you saying that people with cancer weren't thought to be at higher risk, since it's not one of the 4 you mentioned?

Edited by purbeast

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Maybe I should write papers about this then since I'm a genius because to me that was common sense as to why younger people in America were dying from it.

I never read any details I just had heard "pre-existing health conditions" and just used common sense.  Are you saying that people with cancer weren't thought to be at higher risk, since it's not one of the 4 you mentioned?

Simple obesity which impacts 40% of the population had been downplayed. 

Those getting cancer treatment and other immune compromised are far lower number than 40% of the population. My list wasn’t comprehensive just the largest categories.

They need to be far more explicit. As in: if you’re fat and get this you will probably die so keep your fat butt at home at all times.  And if you aren’t fat but know someone who is, you will probably kill their fat ass if you give it to them by accident.

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Simple obesity which impacts 40% of the population had been downplayed. 

you seem to be ignoring the mod posts about extending tangents

let's end this one now

i'd prefer more self- and membership-policing, which had been pretty good for awhile

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, visionary said:

"President Donald Trump is treating life-saving medical equipment as emoluments he can dole out as favors to loyalists.

1)  Absolutely believable.  Even predictable.  

2)  And if they can prove it, ought to be a major scandal.  But I suspect it's hard to prove.  

But all the article recites is:

1)  Colorado tried to buy 500 ventilators.  

2)  The Feds outbid them, and bought them themselves.  

3)  CO Governor (D) sent urgent letter to Trump, requesting the ventilators.  

4)  Trump ignored the request, waited a few days, then sent out a tweet saying he was sending 100 ventilators because the state's Republican Senator requested them.

Edited by Larry
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

you seem to be ignoring the mod posts about extending tangents

let's end this one now

i'd prefer more self- and membership-policing, which had been pretty good for awhile

Sorry. I brought up earlier in the thread about a month ago worried about it because I am overweight and asked the opinion of a couple of the docs here. Then when I came across the article I posted it here as a follow up. I haven’t been following the thread that closely.

I didn’t mean to go off in a tangent or derail. My bad.

• Like 1