Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Can You Get a Virus From a Surface?

If you touch a surface that is contaminated with a virus — including COVID-19 — does that mean you will get the virus? Not necessarily. But if you don't immediately wash your hands, and then touch your mouth, nose or eyes, you could transmit the virus. However, the CDC says surface contamination isn't considered the most likely way to get coronavirus. Without a host, viruses begin to degrade pretty quickly, so what is on the surface becomes less and less potent.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), explained during the March 13, 2020, CNN/Facebook Global Coronavirus Town Hall that when considering the viability of a virus on various substances, it is probably measured in a couple of hours. While he recommends wiping down surfaces — like doorknobs and cellphone screens — when you can, he cautioned against worrying about money and mail.

In the end, despite the differences in viability on surfaces among pathogens, fomites and contexts, the No. 1 recommendation for preventing the spread of viruses is standard. Wash your hands.

This article was first published on March 16, 2020, and last updated on March 18, 2020.

MORE HERE: https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/long-can-viruses-live-on-surfaces.htm

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I'm still waiting to hear if I'm going to get paid with the CARES act.  As usual with the government, it's taking longer than is should.

In Canada, the recently unemployed could apply for EI (Employment Insurance) after 1 week; typically, there is a 2-week wait. That was a government concession.

As far as self-employed (small businesses), which includes myself, the government just opened up an online portal application - as well as phone calls - to apply for aid ($2000/month for 4 months) on Monday (April 6th). They spread it out a touch (people with birthdays in Jan-Mar on Day 1; people with birthdays in Apr-Jun on Day 2, etc). They had 1 million applications each day (Monday and Tuesday).

So I applied yesterday by phone. 5-minute phone call.... just needed my social insurance number and to answer a few questions through the keypad. Automatically approved, and it's supposed to be in my bank account in 3 business days. Way too smooth/seamless. We'll see 🙂

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, visionary said:

First I'm hearing about this. Anybody got anything else about it?

(I'd suggest the "recession" thread, since it's more about money and politics than about infection and healthcare.)

3 minutes ago, visionary said:

Might be a vaccine for that, in November. (Might not work, though.)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, visionary said:

Week-to-week % increase

3 weeks ago: 392%

2 weeks ago: 630%

1 week ago:  510%

Right now: 309%

So it looks to be levelling off a bit, if next week % change is 200-250% that translates to 30k-37k, 2 weeks from now if its 150% previous week that would mean 60k-70k in two weeks

2 hours ago, Die Hard said:

In Canada, the recently unemployed could apply for EI (Employment Insurance) after 1 week; typically, there is a 2-week wait. That was a government concession.

As far as self-employed (small businesses), which includes myself, the government just opened up an online portal application - as well as phone calls - to apply for aid ($2000/month for 4 months) on Monday (April 6th). They spread it out a touch (people with birthdays in Jan-Mar on Day 1; people with birthdays in Apr-Jun on Day 2, etc). They had 1 million applications each day (Monday and Tuesday).

So I applied yesterday by phone. 5-minute phone call.... just needed my social insurance number and to answer a few questions through the keypad. Automatically approved, and it's supposed to be in my bank account in 3 business days. Way too smooth/seamless. We'll see 🙂

Apparently you aren’t the only one Who thought it was too easy.

https://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/so-easy-i-thought-it-was-fake-cras-cerb-system-gets-stellar-reviews-in-first-days-of-operation

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Moments ago, I read an article where people were surprised to see they received a double payment. People thought it was a mistake. However, they're backdating to March 15th. Wow, that's helpful!

Edited by Die Hard

3 hours ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Week-to-week % increase

3 weeks ago: 392%

2 weeks ago: 630%

1 week ago:  510%

Right now: 309%

So it looks to be levelling off a bit, if next week % change is 200-250% that translates to 30k-37k, 2 weeks from now if its 150% previous week that would mean 60k-70k in two weeks

The scary thing is, how do we go from lowering numbers to making sure there aren't more outbreaks and having to start all over again?

Another thought is that a lot of people die from the Flu every year.  Imagine if covid 19 ends up being an every year issue like the flu, but more deadly and more contagious.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Can see a whole season with no fans in or around stadiums as best case scenario for them.

Well, then it will be bad to watch, because I don't see how can a defense play and tackle if they have to keep a 6ft social distancing...

TD on every play is gonna rack up stats!

• Haha 1