Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

1 hour ago, Larry said:

1)  Absolutely believable.  Even predictable.  

2)  And if they can prove it, ought to be a major scandal.  But I suspect it's hard to prove.  

But all the article recites is:

1)  Colorado tried to buy 500 ventilators.  

2)  The Feds outbid them, and bought them themselves.  

3)  CO Governor (D) sent urgent letter to Trump, requesting the ventilators.  

4)  Trump ignored the request, waited a few days, then sent out a tweet saying he was sending 100 ventilators because the state's Republican Senator requested them.

Dammit, Larry, I was going to click and read that article but you went ahead and summed it up, all logical like, stripping away any emotion and just sticking to the facts.  And now the Denver Post won't get a precious click.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Probably the most promising anti-viral I’ve seen so far for COVID-19.

Works broadly against coronaviruses and can be taken orally. Could work as both treatment and prophylactic. Only issue is that it can’t be tested in mice against this specific coronavirus since we don’t have a useful model yet. Primate studies would take time that we don’t have. Will be interesting to see how the FDA approaches setting up its clinical trials.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 8

.@Acosta: How can the administration discuss the possibility of reopening the country when the administration does not have an adequate nationwide testing system for this virus? Don't you need a nationwide testing system for the virus before you reopen?

TRUMP: "No."

Anybody can make a decision given perfect information.  

A good administrator can make a decision on incomplete information.  

Therefore, a perfect administrator can make decisions in complete ignorance.  

Hospital are laying off workers in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic

The American health care workforce is being squeezed from two sides: by the coronavirus itself and a shortage of protective gear but also by the economic crisis, which is driving physician practices and now some hospitals to furlough or lay off staff at the very moment they are most needed.

My colleagues and I sounded the alarm about the first problem in this piece a couple of weeks ago. But the second is only beginning to fully reveal itself.

Altarum, a nonprofit research and consulting firm, reported last Friday that 43,000 health care workers had been laid off in the first month of the Covid-19 outbreak. That is a historical aberration: Health care has usually been cushioned from deep job cuts during economic crises, as this chart shows:

Screen_Shot_2020_04_08_at_12.48.32_PM.pn

As you can see, there is nothing in the past 30 years that compares to the long red line on the right, representing those 43,000 lost jobs.

Most of the initial losses were in ambulatory services, according to Altarum: physician offices, dental practices, and other practitioners. Hospital staffing stayed mostly flat through the first month of the crisis.

But that is beginning to change already, with a slew of hospitals announcing furloughs or layoffs in recent days.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, China said:

need to cash inject the hospitals immediately. But cannot be used for anyone other than staff actively working at the hospital under a 36 hour/week contract, and related equipment 

there’s a lot going on right now. And some of it is embarrassing. Like how our government doesn’t seem to think our hospitals need money right now. And like how some staff aren’t exactly answering the call. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

He's pathetic, how can anyone on good conscious think to themselves "that's my guy, so glad I voted for him".

Weirdest **** I've ever seen!

All you need is to live a life hearing that every bad thing that happens to you is someone elses fault

• Like 3

I am listening to people talk about the shutdown as a draconian overreach and tyranny as the left destroying the US economy from the inside and taking away US liberty.  

I wish someone who believed this would open a non-essential business and take it to court.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

All you need is to live a life hearing that every bad thing that happens to you is someone elses fault

Which is why narcissism is a manifestation (compensation) of underlying self-loathing.

How weak, incompetent and disempowered one must feel, to be a helpless victim at the expense of others. Which is why he is so needy/desperate for external validation.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I am listening to people talk about the shutdown as a draconian overreach and tyranny as the left destroying the US economy from the inside and taking away US liberty.  

I wish someone who believed this would open a non-essential business and take it to court.  

I wish Covid caused people to tell the truth for 3-5 days.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, No Excuses said:
The American public isn’t very good at long term thinking. People celebrating a bump in his approval did so when we had barely started feeling the effects of his disastrous response.

The fact that he can tell 40% of this country to jump off a cliff and they would willingly follow is terrifying. 40% of the country is way too large of an amount of stupid. Within that kind of stupid, many have found their way into positions of power. If they were merely fringe, i could comfortably avoid them. 40% means i gotta deal with these ****ing idiots as i navigate my own life.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Probably the most promising anti-viral I’ve seen so far for COVID-19.

Works broadly against coronaviruses and can be taken orally. Could work as both treatment and prophylactic. Only issue is that it can’t be tested in mice against this specific coronavirus since we don’t have a useful model yet. Primate studies would take time that we don’t have. Will be interesting to see how the FDA approaches setting up its clinical trials.

They're letting all the drugs go forward with clinical trials without primate testing or a mouse model for this specific coronavirus.  It has been tested in mice and shown to be effective against coronaviruses in general and (I'm presume) safe.   It works on the same mechanism as remdesivir.

The only reason why this drug will be treated differently than the things that already have clinical trails that are running that we hear about is there isn't a study yet showing it is safe to use in humans so they'll almost certainly start with a small scale study to test for safety in humans. 

If it passes that, they'll almost certainly let it go forward like every other drug has without a mouse model or being tested in primates.  Is there any reason you suspect this drug would be treated differently other than basic safety in humans?

If it can be shown that it is generally safe to use in humans, they'll do a small scale study to actually test for ability to treat the virus in infected people.  If that works, then they'll launch large scale studies in people with the virus.  If that works, then they'll worry about the prophylactic use.

(And we do likely have a mouse model:

Transgenic mice have been created that carry the human ACE2 and have been used as a model for other coronoa viruses that enter cells via ACE2.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S187962571500098X

To my knowledge, nobody has bothered to check (because the FDA isn't making them and for drugs that have been shown to be generally safe in humans go straight to human clinical trials) it will almost certainly work as a mouse model for this virus.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Thanks 1