Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Grocery workers are beginning to die of coronavirus

Major supermarket chains are beginning to report their first coronavirus-related employee deaths, leading to store closures and increasing anxiety among grocery workers as the pandemic intensifies across the country.

A Trader Joe’s worker in Scarsdale, N.Y., a greeter at a Giant store in Largo, Md., and two Walmart employees from the same Chicago-area store have died of covid-19, the disease the novel coronavirus causes, in recent days, the companies confirmed Monday.

Though more than 40 states have ordered nonessential businesses to close and told residents to stay home to stem the spread of the virus, supermarkets are among the retailers that remain open. Thousands of grocery employees have continued to report to work as U.S. infections and death rates continue to climb, with many reporting long shifts and extra workloads to keep up with spiking demand. Many workers say they don’t have enough protective gear to deal with hundreds of customers a day. Dozens of grocery workers have tested positive for the coronavirus in recent weeks.

Some companies have begun installing plexiglass sneeze guards at cash registers and requiring customers to stand six feet apart in line. The country’s two largest grocers, Walmart and Kroger, are beginning to check employees’ temperatures at the beginning of each shift and will provide workers with gloves and masks.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

My question about “eliminating” the virus is, so these countries that are doing this plan to stay completely closed for the next 18 months till a vaccine is available?  As soon as they decide to reopen won’t they be in the same place we are now?

I thought the goal was to slow the spread long enough for the medical systems to not get too crowded, until enough people had herd immunity that the herd would slow the spread to unprotected people enough not to tax the medical system. 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

My question about “eliminating” the virus is, so these countries that are doing this plan to stay completely closed for the next 18 months till a vaccine is available?  As soon as they decide to reopen won’t they be in the same place we are now?

Obviously, perfection is impossible.  Just ask Jeff Goldblum in all 17 Jurassic Park movies.  

But I do assume that if, (hypothetical) you could get your number of cases into single digits, (or even two digits), than it becomes a lot easier to isolate just those few people, and eliminate all restrictions on everybody else.  

9 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Anybody looking at Sweden's numbers?   They have 487 cases, but 114 deaths.  They decided to not shut down like their neighbors.  

It appears to be a disaster in the making.

Data from the EU/EEA and UK is updated daily on the ECDC site:

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

The variation is fatality rate in comparable countries is remarkable.

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I thought the goal was to slow the spread long enough for the medical systems to not get too crowded, until enough people had herd immunity that the herd would slow the spread to unprotected people enough not to tax the medical system. 

If you had a few cases to start with, shut everything down, squash it in your country, and then quarantine anybody that comes into the country for 2 weeks complete elimination might be possible.  Especially for an island country like New Zealand, that might be very possible.

Its actual effective life time on surfaces, as far as I know is still unclear (though something I'm not really tracking), so you might have some issues with goods that are shipped in.  But I'd guess that's pretty minimal.

Germany isn't claiming to have or will completely eliminated it.  They think with some restrictions (no public gatherings) and lots of testing that they can keep the spread contained and minimized, while lifting travel restrictions so that their healthcare system isn't overwhelmed.  That's certainly feasible.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

You don’t build herd immunity through a prolonged quarantine. If you take the highest potential estimates on undetected asymptomatic/mild cases, at most maybe 5% of the population would have been infected in the US by now. 

But we can get to a point where something like 80% of the economy can open up until a vaccine is ready. We need contact tracing and anti-virals to do this. You still can’t open sporting arenas, concert halls, convention centers, cruise ships etc until a vaccine. Anything that leads to overcrowding is a big no. We need severe restrictions on international travel. 

But people can eventually go to stores and you can open restaurants and institute some physical distancing rules to limit overcrowding. 

I got to my polling place when they first opened. Drove up, handed my license to a mask And glove wearing poll worker. Answered a question about my address, filled out what looked like an absentee ballet, placed it in an envelope, sealed and drove away. All from the “safety” of my car. They were directing people to other areas that needed to either register or had address changes. 

In Milwaukee, where they usually have over 100 polling places, they only have 5. A city of 600,000...5 open polling places.

• Sad 6

I hope this finally convinces more people that they are sharing a country with a segment of the population who is perfectly willing to violate every value Americans are supposed to hold dear to hold onto their power. They are cancers, they are valueless, and see us as objects to drain for their own benefit.

They all need to be changed, contained, or destroyed. The severity of those options depends on their continued behavior. They will not change themselves, they will not self-regulate or self-restrain. We have to stop them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Yohan said:

In Milwaukee, where they usually have over 100 polling places, they only have 5. A city of 600,000...5 open polling places.

Over 60% of Wisconsin's black population lives in Milwaukee.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Sad 2

So is it true that Dr Fauci has said that up to 50% is asymptomatic? I've read about several studies in different places that have stated the same thing.  If that's true,  then looking at the raw data this virus has been spreading in our communities for a while now.  I think this is good news because we could potentially be closer to herd immunity? Just looking for a silver lining somewhere here in otherwise a gloomy world these days