Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

then prove your claim that's what they're doing by quoting relevant counters that show it , don't just accuse 

that way you also avoid the risk of getting a rule 5 warning for that (and warnings can become automatic timeouts depending on previous violations)

PCS basically called me off, while also trying to give a hint to those two on what they (and you maybe) are missing.  I'll leave it at that.

Edited by nonniey

BTW, here is where I got the mortality rate info. Simple calculation should give you the rate.

You have to scroll down to the statistics section under the map.

https://g.co/kgs/3mcwS9

Much lower than the estimated 12% that was coming out of Wuhan back in January (officially its at 5% there now) but the data from China is challenging

Edited by The Evil Genius

7 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

BTW, here is where I got the mortality rate info. Simple calculation should give you the rate.

You have to scroll down to the statistics section under the map.

https://g.co/kgs/3mcwS9

Much lower than the estimated 12% that was coming out of Wuhan back in January (officially its at 5% there now). 

Ok to clear this up once and for all - you need to use the data from 27 January to properly refute me.  

Edited by nonniey

2 hours ago, daveakl said:

That's great, but my degree is in psychology so I not only know what you and the virologist are thinking, but why you are thinking it and what caused you to think it.

Yeah, but everybody knows you're all quacks, so nobody will believe you.  :) 

Edited by Larry

58 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Ok to clear this up once and for all - you need to use the data from 27 January to properly refute me.  

Sure. As of 1/27/20, there were 106 reported deaths out of 4,581 reported cases. Mortality rate was 2.3% at that point. Again, much higher than the 1% .1% (Dan T corrected) flu mortality rate.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

This could probably go here or Trump's cabinet thread.  Putting it here since the CO was being discussed here.

BTW, this makes me so mad, I could spit nails.  I am seriously fuming!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/06/politics/uss-tr-crozier-modly/index.html?fbclid=IwAR1SeGqNnCAdhbvUvPjp6lYx87BiQHeukF26vaPc708pdQRFA5g5lLDM73w

1 hour ago, PCS said:

Yep. Probably couldn't stand the ovation the departing Captain got from his crew and had to blast him to said crew. This cannot be doing anything for moral for all the sailors out there. Grumble.  

"How To Get The Military To Vote Dem"

• Like 3

just got my tickets for my costa rica trip refunded by Delta.

It took 4 calls over the last few weeks and 5+ hours of waiting on hold and choosing callbacks. Ultimately the DOT on Friday demanded people issue refunds, and that was what finally got them to refund my tickets.

I will say this - My whole life I was a Delta fan. I flew them whenever it was an option. Never again. I'm extremely disappointed with how they handled the entire situation.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, nonniey said:

PCS basically called me off, while also trying to give a hint to those two on what they (and you maybe) are missing.  I'll leave it at that.

yes, i saw that afterward, but left the post as it was since if you'd been actually thinking you'd realize that either way---complying with either pcs or me--would be acceptable and also for you to know how it should go for the future

however, you're going to get dinged for the " (and you maybe)---for one thing, i am under no obligation to take the time to read what you or anyone else posted in detail and analyze it in such a circumstance like this...you questioned a poster's reading comprehension without any supporting evidence (i.e. quotes from your post that would show such)...it's not up to me to go find your support, you made the claim 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

yes, i saw that afterward, but left the post as it was since if you'd been actually thinking you'd realize that either way---complying with either pcs or me--would be acceptable and also for you to know how it should go for the future

however, you're going to get dinged for the " (and you maybe)---for one thing, i am under no obligation to take the time to read what you or anyone else posted in detail and analyze it in such a circumstance like this...you questioned a poster's reading comprehension without any supporting evidence (i.e. quotes from your post that would show such)...it's not up to me to go find your support, you made the claim 

rgr.

Just now, nonniey said:

rgr.

good---that was quick enough and appropriate enough for me not to send the warning that's on my screen, which i also now see would have netted an automatic week off, which i'd rather avoid :)

so no flag on the play

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

How is the covid19 mortality rate half of the flu? It's running at about 3% (2.95%) in the US right now and 5.4% worldwide. Much much much higher than the flu mortality rate (which runs at about 1% most years).

The flu mortality rate is POINT one percent most years.  .1% - not 1 %.  Huge difference.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

The flu mortality rate is POINT one percent most years.  .1% - not 1 %.  Huge difference.

So on 1/27 the covid19 mortality rate was 23x the rate of the flu?

Also I should have questioned the 1 in a 100 mortality rate for the flu. 1 in a 1000 makes much more sense.

• Like 1

That is a huge difference i also though the flu was 1% mortality.

I understand someone with the same kind of access to information that I have thinking this was the flu weeks ago. The President tweeting into infinity that this was nothing worse than the flu when he should have been preparing us for it will be history forever (if we don’t let him and those like him change it) 

it’s crazy. This unfortunately for us all will be the story of his presidency. When we joked that he wouldn’t be able to save us if something like this happened, I never ever imagined that he would be tested like this. I wonder had we known, what people would have done differently? Or would it still have been “better than Hillary” 

this **** is scary for real. 

You hear so much talk about ventilators.  This piece in the Washington Post provides a straightforward, harrowing account of probably the most dangerous job health care workers face - intubating a COVID patient to put them on a ventilator, in the doctor's own words.  Well worth the read.

‘You’re basically right next to the nuclear reactor.’

Cory Deburghgraeve, on performing one of the pandemic’s most dangerous jobs

I could be the last person some of these patients ever see, or the last voice they hear. A lot of people will never come off the ventilator. That’s the reality of this virus. I force myself to think about that for a few seconds each time I walk into the ICU to do an intubation.

This is my entire job now. Airways. Coronavirus airways. I’m working 14 hours a night and six nights a week. When patients aren’t getting enough oxygen, I place a tube down their airway so we can put them on a vent. It buys their body time to fight the virus. It’s also probably the most dangerous procedure a doctor can do when it comes to personal exposure. I’m getting within a few inches of the patient’s face. I’m leaning in toward the mouth, placing my fingers on the gums, opening up the airway. All it takes is a cough. A gag. If anything goes badly, you can have a room full of virus.

. . .

I’ve been shocked sometimes when I walk in and see the patients. Most of the ones I’ve intubated are young — 30s, 40s, 50s. These are people who walked into the ER because they were coughing a day or two ago, or sometimes hours ago. By the time I come into the room, they are in severe respiratory distress. Their oxygen level might be 70 or 80 percent instead of 100, which is alarming. They are taking 40 breaths a minute when they should be taking 12 or 14. They have no oxygen reserves. They are pale and exhausted. It puts them in a mental fog, and sometimes they don’t hear me when I introduce myself. Some are panicky and gasping. Others are mumbling or incoherent. Last week, one patient was crying and asking to use my phone so they could call family and say goodbye, but their oxygen levels were dropping, and we didn’t have time, and I couldn’t risk bringing my phone in and contaminating it with virus, and the whole thing was impossible. I kept apologizing. I just —. I don’t know. I have to find a way to hold it together in order to do this job. I tear up sometimes, and if I do, it can fog up my face shield.

The first thing I do is pull up a stool and get right down to their level at the bed. Most of the time, the look in their eyes is fear. But sometimes, honestly, it is relief, like, “Thank God. I can’t do this anymore.” They don’t have the energy to be hysterical.

I put an oxygen mask on the patient and give 100 percent oxygen for a few minutes. You want to tank them up, because they won’t be able to breathe on their own. Next I give medication to put them to sleep. We’re trained to touch the eyelashes a bit to make sure they’re down. Then I give a muscle relaxer and take a look down the airway for the vocal cords. With this virus, I see significant upper airway swelling, tongue swelling, lots of secretion. When I start to put the tube in, that gives an opportunity for the virus to release into the air. The patient’s airway is wide open at that point — no mask or anything. People can cough when the tube goes in toward the trachea, a deep, forceful cough. My mask and hood can get covered in fluid. Usually it’s tiny droplets. Aerosolized virus can float around. You’re basically right next to the nuclear reactor. I go in confident and fast, because if you miss on the first try, you have to do it again, and then you’re bringing out a ton more virus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/05/youre-basically-right-next-nuclear-reactor/?arc404=true

• Sad 4

17 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

So on 1/27 the covid19 mortality rate was 23x the rate of the flu?

Also I should have questioned the 1 in a 100 mortality rate for the flu. 1 in a 1000 makes much more sense.

It might be a good idea to change the original post to remove the incorrect information from it.

5 minutes ago, -JB- said:

To the 98% and all the rest of the people who never got tested but were sick & recovered

And counterbalance that with all the people whose cause of death is listed as "pneumonia" or "respiratory distress."  As long as we're kvetching about comparative mortality rates.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1

----------------

About One-Third Of Sacramento County Coronavirus Cases Linked To Church Gatherings, Health Officials Say

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Health officials say a large chunk of confirmed coronavirus cases in Sacramento County is being linked to church-related gatherings.

Sacramento County public health announced new COVID-19 numbers on Wednesday. There are 314 total confirmed coronavirus cases in the county, officials say. Another death has also been linked to the coronavirus, bringing the count to 9.

About one-third of those confirmed cases have been linked to church gatherings, public health officials say.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, China said:

About One-Third Of Sacramento County Coronavirus Cases Linked To Church Gatherings, Health Officials Say

Some other anecdotal things that go with that.  

(And yes, I'm aware that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data".)

I remember reading about "Patient 31", in SK.  The patient who refused medical advice to self quarantine, and instead went to two church services near the hospital.  

The article I read said that they had traced over 250 cases - at the time, around half the cases in SK, to those two church services.  And another cluster of about 25 to a funeral that was held outside of town, which was attended by a large group from that church.  

I also remember somebody relating a claim about a church choir where like half the choir all came down with the disease at once.  

The article included speculation that maybe singing involves deeper breathing, which might cause more contagion.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The mortality #s right now are not very reliable because we are severely undercounting cases all throughout the world. This thing will likely turn out to be less deadly as initially thought but more deadly than the flu since we did not have a good understanding of its disease characteristics. It behaves quite differently than the flu virus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

The mortality #s right now are not very reliable because we are severely undercounting cases all throughout the world. This thing will likely turn out to be less deadly as initially thought but more deadly than the flu since we did not have a good understanding of its disease characteristics. It behaves quite differently than the flu virus.

Seems likely that if we had more widespread testing, both the numbers of "infected" and "deaths due to" would be larger.  ("Recovered" probably would be, too.)  

Unfortunately, hard to say which number would increase more.  

Re:  Fun with numbers (evangelical style) 

1/3rd cases linked with church gatherings... that means 2/3rds are linked witj grocery shopping and other essential activities.  You are twice as likely to get COVID 19 from Target and Walmart as a church gathering!!