Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

jeebus

what a nightmare ****storm....it would figure that trump thinks he might make another ton of money off this particular situation and will be motivated by that along with whatever other malignant drives move him

it's obvious by now that the reason right wingers are fixated on talking about that drug (the way that they have is important to qualify) is it's another sickass fox news/right wing shiny object manipulation  for the arrogant magical-thinking morons that make up such a huge slice of "conservatism"

it's been fox news mantra for weeks and a constant bizarro-world deal on all right wing media

and there's an intelligent genuine non-political discussion to be had about experimental techniques including these specifics, but it's next to impossible to find such among right wing media figures or right wing keyboard warriors

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

So is it true that Dr Fauci has said that up to 50% is asymptomatic? I've read about several studies in different places that have stated the same thing.  If that's true,  then looking at the raw data this virus has been spreading in our communities for a while now.  I think this is good news because we could potentially be closer to herd immunity? Just looking for a silver lining somewhere here in otherwise a gloomy world these days  

I don't know if Fauci said it but the range for asymptomatic cases is anywhere from 20% to ~60%. We won't have a good tally of this until we start testing people for antibodies. Even if we assume that 50% of the cases are asymptomatic, that at best brings us to anywhere from 1-5% of the population being infected already (if you also count that a lot of mild cases are not being reported because of lack of testing). Not close to herd immunity, which starts to happen close to 60%.

There isn't a herd immunity scenario for coronavirus until a vaccine is available. We're going to have to keep the infection rates low.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

what a nightmare ****storm....it would figure that trump thinks he might make another ton of money off this particular situation and will be motivated by that along with whatever other malignant drives move him

tbh I am not buying the "Trump wants to make money off of this drug" angle. Hydroxychloroquine is a cheap generic drug, produced by a lot of companies. Not much money to be made here. If his family wanted to be really scummy, they could hype up a drug like remdesivir that has also shown promise, is advancing further in clinical trials and has an active patent.

I think this is much more a case of Trump trying to downplay the situation. Someone told him about some shoddy trials reporting possible benefits of it. And he ran with it to downplay the severity of the disease, and like every classic narcissist, will not back down even in the face of contradicting evidence. He has to be right about this, even if he's wrong, because admitting he's wrong is the worst possible outcome for his fragile ego.

The end result is that if it turns out that hydroxychloroquine isn't an effective drug, there will be some seriously conflicting messages sent out. Some in the right wing echo chamber are already accusing Fauci et al of intentionally trying to murder people by not promoting the drug. It's ripe for becoming another right wing conspiracy. "Hydroxychloroquine works but the deep state doesn't want you to know".

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Yohan said:

I got to my polling place when they first opened. Drove up, handed my license to a mask And glove wearing poll worker. Answered a question about my address, filled out what looked like an absentee ballet, placed it in an envelope, sealed and drove away. All from the “safety” of my car. They were directing people to other areas that needed to either register or had address changes. 

In Milwaukee, where they usually have over 100 polling places, they only have 5. A city of 600,000...5 open polling places.

Cool. Maybe this can be an alternative solution across the country.

So when does Dr. Fauci get the boot? You know he will replaced at some point. As we get closer to the election, Trump can’t have the real truth get out. He has to project this thing is over.

Actually, that should be a great fear; Trump’s government will think it’s over, once they can reopen things by summer. They won’t do anything regarding preparations for a second wave. As long as the second wave happens after 11/3 is all Trump cares about. When the second wave hits, we will be unprepared as we were for the first wave.

Edited by Rdskns2000

@No Excuses

all valid and good to point out---i should have qualified it more in the manner of how i thought it "if trump even thinks he can make big money, i'd expect it to motivate him"...i include political reasons playing the primary driver too of course

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

So when does Dr. Fauci get the boot? You know he will replaced at some point. As we get closer to the election, Trump can’t have the real truth get out. He has to project this thing is over.

He won't get the boot while this current wave is going on but I won't be surprised if he's canned in the summer. The Fauci smear operation has already started in the sewer pits of right wing media. It'll make it's way to the mainstream outlets soon enough.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

jeebus

it's obvious by now that the reason right wingers are fixated on talking about that drug (the way that they have is important to qualify) is it's another sickass fox news/right wing shiny object manipulation  for the arrogant magical-thinking morons that make up such a huge slice of "conservatism"

it's been fox news mantra for weeks and a constant bizarro-world deal on all right wing media

and there's an intelligent genuine non-political discussion to be had about experimental techniques including these specifics, but it's next to impossible to find such among right wing media figures or right wing keyboard warriors

Oh, if I were choosing which Satanic-level evil motive is driving this particular right wing myth, I would say the prime contenders are

1) Simple loyalty to the premier Republican Icon

2)  (My pick) To feed the "see?  We've got a cure, so y'all can go back to work and we can start profiting from you again" "reasoning".  

NEWS: President Trump has upended the federal panel overseeing the $2 trillion coronavirus law -- removing the Pentagon inspector general who was supposed to oversee it and naming a new acting replacement.

Of course.  Trump and his allies will be the ones getting most of that money.  Or if you want some of that money, you will have to do Trump a favor.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

just fwiw---long, i think worthwhile and decently (accurately) informative

i won't post excerpts, just the link

https://www.yahoo.com/news/synthetic-antibodies-might-offer-a-quick-coronavirus-treatment-132122036.html

From the article:

Dr. Jacob Glanville, one of the researchers featured in the Netflix documentary “Pandemic: How to Prevent an Outbreak,” thinks he has found a shortcut. Glanville is the president of Distributed Bio, a computational immunoengineering group that focuses on making antibody therapeutics and vaccines. For weeks, Glanville and his team braved long shifts in the lab to engineer a possible treatment for COVID-19, and last Wednesday, April 1, he announced via Twitter that they had achieved a breakthrough. Yahoo News spoke to the scientist that evening.

“For the last nine weeks we have been working on creating an antibody therapy to neutralize and therefore cure the novel coronavirus in patients who need it.”

It ain't that simple.  Drugs, including antibody drugs, have side effects.  That's why in clinical development they do safety studies before larger efficacy studies.  Look at other antibody drugs currently on the market like Humira, they have serious side effects like:  redness, rash, swelling, itching, or bruising at the site on your skin where you receive the injection, upper respiratory infections, such as the common cold, chest pains, headaches, rash, and nausea.

You want a drug that could give you susceptibility to upper respiratory infections to treat a virus that causes respiratory problems?

All I'm saying is it will, and should, take time to test an antibody drug, or any drug, for safety.  This is one of the reasons people are latching on to hyroxychloroquine, as it already has an established safety profile.

Edited by China
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, China said:

This is one of the reasons people are latching on to hyroxychloroquine, as it already has an established safety profile.

Yeah, that was one thing I've heard Fauci, and another Doctor, say about that drug.  

We've been giving the drug for (40 years?)  

It might not work.  But it would be really stunning if it has any safety/side effect issues that we don't already know about.  

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

I think this is much more a case of Trump trying to downplay the situation. Someone told him about some shoddy trials reporting possible benefits of it. And he ran with it to downplay the severity of the disease, and like every classic narcissist, will not back down even in the face of contradicting evidence. He has to be right about this, even if he's wrong, because admitting he's wrong is the worst possible outcome for his fragile ego.

agree 100% here. Trump just strikes me like a lot of corporate executives who get in over their heads with something. They cling to anything that shows some hope thats simple enough for them to understand.

He’s oversimplified something that’s just not simple. This is right up there with his, “who knew healthcare could be so complicated?” comment from earlier in his term.

its entirely possible that this drug works on 90% of patients, but until we know how quantify that, and then identify and exclude the other 10% of people, we could be putting even more lives at risk with this drug.

“My wife is an adult capable of making her own decisions, and in this instance she exhibited a stunning lack of judgement [sic],” he wrote. She will face “the same consequences for her ill-advised decision as the other individuals” caught at the event, he added.

Awkward

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Cognitive dissonance: when the dude who's in charge doesn't do what he claims: social distancing, wearing mask, confinement.

Medias and MDs railing against him.

We don't have that here.  

A theory:  Perhaps one cannot have cognitive dissonance without cognition.  

• Haha 2