Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

(CNN) A week after unveiling a stunning projection for the number of people who would die from coronavirus in the US -- 100,000 to 240,000 -- White House officials have yet to fully explain how they arrived at those numbers.

Some administration officials are now saying the number could be lower than it originally warned -- but it comes as there are continued questions about how the administration got to the high number.

The final number could end up being higher or lower than the dramatic estimates released one week ago in a briefing by the White House Coronavirus Task Force, according to federal health officials and researchers who are creating models to forecast the outbreak.

A source close to the task force said it's possible the eventual death toll will be "way under" the 100,000-to-240,000 figure.

~~

This one's easy to figure out.  Put up an artificially high number.  See the toll fall short of that number.  Claim credit.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Coronavirus: "We are preparing for a black Thursday", laments a resuscitator of Bichat hospital after the loosening of the confinement during the weekend.

The sunny weekend encouraged Ile-de-France residents to brave the confinement to the great despair of those who fight every day to save lives.

Monday April 6, 16 million masks were due to arrive in France but are still blocked in Shanghai, according to RTL. For good reason, an Air France pilot tested positive for coronavirus last week and the plane that was to transport the load simply cannot leave. Link

Edited by FrFan

20 minutes ago, spjunkies said:
Dr. trump knows more than anyone else. 

Sue, their asses. If Doctor's give hydroxychloroquine because Trump says to do it and the patient dies; then sue the doctor.  Doctor's should only follow what they feel is right.  If they feel that medicine can help, give it.  Don't give, because the right wing politicians tell you to give it. 

I'd also sue Trump, Hannity and any one else pushing it; if the patient dies from this. 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Sue, their asses. If Doctor's give hydroxychloroquine because Trump says to do it and the patient dies; then sue the doctor.  Doctor's should only follow what they feel is right.  If they feel that medicine can help, give it.  Don't give, because the right wing politicians tell you to give it. 

I'd also sue Trump, Hannity and any one else pushing it; if the patient dies from this. 

The ethics of treatment against the ethics of research. I'm kind of sick and tired of those scientists and politicians battle of egos. I wish HCQ really helps, if proven otherwise I hope another drug or treatment will help until we've got a vaccine.

Edited by FrFan

Just now, FrFan said:

The ethics of treatment against the ethics of research.

The ethics of treatment and the ethics of research both require informed consent.  

And part of the ethics of research is to do your research in such a way tat others can use your results.  Do a double blind, on a properly selected sample, and publish the results.  Then everybody else can learn from the risks you put your patients through (whichever results you get).  

"**** the rules, everybody do whatever they want" is neither.  

42 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

This one's easy to figure out.  Put up an artificially high number.  See the toll fall short of that number.  Claim credit.

This is exactly my thought as well. I wondered at first why he pivoted so hard and started repeating the 100k - 240k numbers over and over again. Then I thought about it and I figured he probably took the highest end of the potential numbers (with the current mitigation strategies in place) and then started spreading them around so that if the death toll came in lower (which is quite possible) he could then take credit and talk about what an amazing job he did and how he's a hero because he kept it under 100k. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

The ethics of treatment and the ethics of research both require informed consent.  

And part of the ethics of research is to do your research in such a way tat others can use your results.  Do a double blind, on a properly selected sample, and publish the results.  Then everybody else can learn from the risks you put your patients through (whichever results you get).  

"**** the rules, everybody do whatever they want" is neither.  

I was pointing out the 2 different ways to treat patients some doctors believe only in ethics others believe they must use what they think can help asap. The people in Marseille and Nice have been informed about HCQ. I'm still wondering why the european Discovery test isn't using Raoult's methodology and dosage to prove him wrong through a randomized double blind test ?

The initial results from a placebo-controlled trial of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19

Edited by FrFan

Since the guy answering questions keeps on evading them, shifting blame, lying and being clueless...

Why are these journalists still asking questions? Why are they still attending those briefings?

A room full of empty chairs would do wonders on a sorry ass like trump.

• Like 4

@FrFan

don't take this like you're some sort of problem, but let's end the repetition on this---everyone knows by now that this guy/drug is a thing and a very particular thing to you especially---you posting it over and over becomes spam-ish and a mod may step in like now (usually happens more in the stadium) and interfere with the program :) 

so it's not that either raoult or hydrowhatsis is out of bounds to mention as of now,  it's just you giving that theme so much air-time single handedly a rest, please :)

and don't get concerned now and shrink away---you're fine

i mean other than you think that this is a place someone should spend time at, obviously

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Why are these journalists still asking questions? Why are they still attending those briefings?

A room full of empty chairs would do wonders on a sorry ass like trump.

The first 45 minutes is Trump and Pence but the last 30 minutes or so is good info given by Dr. Birx and Fauci.

Fauci just stepped up to the podium and made what seemed to be a political statement regarding the current healthcare system treating minorities inadequately.

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

Though they were supposed to trigger the immune system to produce white cells since they're binding with both diseased cells and disease-fighting immune cells. I'll go back to him tomorrow for further info.

They are making antibodies (proteins) that bind directly to a protein on the viruses surface that must interact with a human protein to get into cells.  If their protein binds to the viral protein, then the viral protein can't bind to the human protein (two things can't be in the same place at the same time) and the virus can't infect cells.  It is a competition between the drug protein and human protein binding to the viral protein, which should decrease the ability of the virus to infect human cells.

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Yeah, there's gonna be thousands, tens of thousands of "He didn't die of COVID, he died of 'unknown pneumonia'" 

Just pointing out, it's not unusual for some race(s) to me more/less susceptible to a disease.  

What Both the Left and Right Get Wrong About Race

"Race does not stand up scientifically, period."

http://nautil.us/issue/48/chaos/what-both-the-left-and-right-get-wrong-about-race

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The first 45 minutes is Trump and Pence but the last 30 minutes or so is good info given by Dr. Birx and Fauci.

Fauci just stepped up to the podium and made what seemed to be a political statement regarding the current healthcare system treating minorities inadequately.

Just air it, no questions. So, no need for reporters. Don’t air it live since you need to fact check Trump/Pence.

Or if they are reporters, just let it Be the wacko news sites. That will give rest of normal America a chance to see; how crazy Trump and the Gop are.

5 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

What Both the Left and Right Get Wrong About Race

"Race does not stand up scientifically, period."

http://nautil.us/issue/48/chaos/what-both-the-left-and-right-get-wrong-about-race

Somebody should forward that one sentence to those nursing textbooks of mine that keep expecting me to learn which races are more or less susceptible to this disease or that one. 

15 minutes ago, visionary said:

"Somebody that's out of state and does a ballot, and everything is sealed, certified, and everything else"

Which is exactly how it is with any kind of absentee (mail in) voting.

This guy is such a ****ing moron. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3