Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 hours ago, China said:

It ain't that simple.  Drugs, including antibody drugs, have side effects.  That's why in clinical development they do safety studies before larger efficacy studies.  Look at other antibody drugs currently on the market like Humira, they have serious side effects like:  redness, rash, swelling, itching, or bruising at the site on your skin where you receive the injection, upper respiratory infections, such as the common cold, chest pains, headaches, rash, and nausea.

You want a drug that could give you susceptibility to upper respiratory infections to treat a virus that causes respiratory problems?

All I'm saying is it will, and should, take time to test an antibody drug, or any drug, for safety.  This is one of the reasons people are latching on to hyroxychloroquine, as it already has an established safety profile.

I believe the possible immune system response to antibodies is even generally worse than small molecule drugs.

My daughter is on one of the antibody based biologics.  She has to go to the doctor to get her shot, demonstrate she has normal lung function, and then stay there for 2 hours demonstrating she has normal lung function during that time.

And I think such a protocol is pretty standard for the antibody based biologics.

(And its extremely expensive.)

Edited by PeterMP

14 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Man, these numbers look terrifying. Among confirmed cases, 1/3 of those resolved are dead. Another 340k confirmed cases already.

[snipped image]

Germany must be juking the stats somehow.  I have a hard time believing their healthcare system is getting 10x better outcomes than everyone else.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

The ugly fatality rates are a mixture of challenges in being tested, the length of time to clinically recover from COVID-19 being longer than the length of time to pass away from COVID-19, and the unfortunate reality of hospitals being overwhelmed. 

The broader the testing, the more mild cases that are caught. The stronger the health care system, the fewer deaths you see because of health care limitations.

As many countries beginto perform antibody testing, you'll see the CFR drop like a rock the way it did after the H1N1 pandemic. At one point, that virus was viewed as quite deadly, but it turned out to be less deadly than the seasonal flu. The death counts were inflated because a quarter of the world caught it. COVID-19 is deadlier than either, but not as deadly as the current numbers imply. 

Edited by Bacon

3 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Germany must be juking the stats somehow.  I have a hard time believing their healthcare system is getting 10x better outcomes than everyone else.

There numbers are very much in line with South Korea (1.8% fatality rate in South Korea).

It is almost certainly a function of more testing and maybe a little random luck/chance.  Plus not getting overwhelmed.  More testing means testing more people with minimal to no symptoms and counting people that are healthy as infected due to false positives.  Especially in the context of a virus that seems to not affect a large number of infected people at all.   When you only test the very sick, you're likely to have few false positives and test a lot of people that end up dying.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

They quickly located the 3 clusters number one being Bavaria by the end of January. Screening had enabled early detection, therefore isolation and quick treatment when necessary.  80% of the people infected are below 60 years old, for comparison in Italy 56% are above 60.

They also do have a top of the line medical care system, many beds, ventilators, they've been conducting 500.000 tests /week, while we did 10.000 for example.

As you mentioned it is possible that the stats are distorted, almost half of the confirmed cases are mild, which lowers the mortality rate, while it is the opposite in Italy.

42 minutes ago, gbear said:

Why is this spreading so slowly in Africa?

Screenings are limited in Africa, only serious cases are recorded in the hospitals and tested (when tests are available, especially in small countries).

I believe many people suffering from mild symptoms didn't report to hospitals. I hope they will be able to contain the spread.

" African countries need to strengthen their capacity in terms of identifying new cases. Health-care facilities and personnel need to be well equipped to manage identified cases. The general public needs to be sensitised on how to go about getting medical attention if they suspect any signs or symptoms. Personal and household hygiene practices using detergents, such as bleach, need to be encouraged to prevent possible environmental transmission." Link

Edited by FrFan

5 hours ago, Jumbo said:

just fwiw---long, i think worthwhile and decently (accurately) informative

i won't post excerpts, just the link

https://www.yahoo.com/news/synthetic-antibodies-might-offer-a-quick-coronavirus-treatment-132122036.html

A friend of mine who has a phd in genetics told me the antibodies could degrade quickly, so you have to make sure that they trigger an immune response. They must be effective against the virus itself, if it works it's very good because it's cheap and fast to produce.

Edited by FrFan

7 minutes ago, FrFan said:

A friend of min who has a phd in genetics told me the antibodies could degrade quickly, so you have to make sure that they trigger an immune response. They must be effective against the virus itself, if it works it's very good because it's cheap and fast to produce.

They aren't trying to trigger an immune response.  An immune response would in fact be bad (i.e. you'd potentially become allergic to the medicine and have to stop taking it.).  They are making things that directly bind to the virus and inhibit its ability to further infect your cells/replicate.

(Metabolism/degradation is an issue for any medicine.  To my knowledge, it isn't a more specific issue for these types of antibodies either.0

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

They aren't trying to trigger an immune response.  An immune response would in fact be bad (i.e. you'd potentially become allergic to the medicine).  They are making things that directly bind to the virus and inhibit its ability to further infect your cells/replicate.

(Metabolism/degradation is an issue for any medicine.  To my knowledge, it isn't a more specific issue for these types of antibodies either.0

Though they were supposed to trigger the immune system to produce white cells since they're binding with both diseased cells and disease-fighting immune cells. I'll go back to him tomorrow for further info.

Edited by FrFan

Yeah, there's gonna be thousands, tens of thousands of "He didn't die of COVID, he died of 'unknown pneumonia'" 

Just pointing out, it's not unusual for some race(s) to me more/less susceptible to a disease.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, visionary said:

Here in Maryland, Prince George's County, which is about 60% Black/African American is outpacing Montgomery County (20% Black/AA) in total cases.

Prince George's County has 25% of the deaths so far. 

Gov. Hogan announced that they would start giving more detailed information about cases and fatalities as well. (After pressure from state lawmakers)