Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

15 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Thomas Davis is an institution. I’m ok with bringing him in on a 1 year deal. 

Agreed, I know he is past his prime, but he knows the defense and we have a lot of questions about how our linebackers will fit in the 4-3.  He could at least buy us a year to figure things out.  Big downside is he wouldn't help us on teams, which you need your backup lb to be able to do.

Just now, KillBill26 said:

Agreed, I know he is past his prime, but he knows the defense and we have a lot of questions about how our linebackers will fit in the 4-3.  He could at least buy us a year to figure things out.  Big downside is he wouldn't help us on teams, which you need your backup lb to be able to do.

He’s not signing somewhere to be a backup 

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Tough to sign Glenn now because then we really lose all leverage with Trent. Right now there is still technically a hope to keep him but signing a pricey LT basically ends whatever slim chance there is.

Need you to explain this for me. How do we lose leverage with TW if we sign Glenn? If I'm the Skins I sign a left tackle just so TW sees we already replaced him and are not desperate for him to return. If he comes back then we have a great problem, too many good offensive linemen. Win, win. 

3 hours ago, Burgold said:

Worth a sniff?

Well, he's a better pass blocker than Donald Penn, but not as good of a run blocker if that tells us much. Had some run-ins with the Bengals coaching staff that got him suspended for a game and also had a concussion in the preseason last year when playing against us ironically.

He's an option, but hopefully we can find better.

2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Im just not completely sold with our LB core: Bostic, Holcomb, Hamilton, etc. Not expecting much from Davis, but He would be a decent vet to bring in for a year. 

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Need you to explain this for me. How do we lose leverage with TW if we sign Glenn? If I'm the Skins I sign a left tackle just so TW sees we already replaced him and are not desperate for him to return. If he comes back then we have a great problem, too many good offensive linemen. Win, win. 

If that did happen one of them (Glenn) could conceivably play right tackle. Might  be ready to move on from Moses as a starter, as much as I like him as a person. Martinez is definitely of interest to me.

2 days to go until free agency tampering begins and we have absolutely no idea who the Redskins are Targeting, rumours of we might be going for this player or that player are a far cry from knowing at the pro bowl all them years ago that we were signing London Fletcher. 

I need news pleeeeaaaasssseeee 

HTTR 

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

2 days to go until free agency tampering begins and we have absolutely no idea who the Redskins are Targeting, rumours of we might be going for this player or that player are a far cry from knowing at the pro bowl all them years ago that we were signing London Fletcher. 

I need news pleeeeaaaasssseeee 

HTTR 

This will be an interesting off season. Bruce was cheap so he never acted on the first wave or if he did snagged a second tier player early. Cerrato almost always grabbed the shiniest toy before the other front offices could reach for their phones. Where will Rivera/Smith lie on that spectrum? Are we diligent, cheap, extravagant? Prudent? Assuming that Rivera and the new coaches have been doing their homework, this offseason may also really tell us a lot about where they think the team is.

If they are quiet it might mean that they think the talent's here, but that the coaching job was really that bad (or it might not). If they are super aggressive it mean mean that they think we are close or in need of a major rebuild.

I think I'm in the minority when I say that I think the lionshare of our problems were not roster based but coaching based and I'd like to see how the rookies progress. I really wouldn't hate another season of McClaurin, Harmon, and Simms. Now, we need a tight end. We need a line (both resiginings and fresh blood) and we have questions at corner and linebacker, but the team's strengths are actually intriguing.

Good point here about signing guys who tend to stay healthy.  I get the whole Hooper is overvalued argument and I somewhat agree with that but at the same time imagine having a TE can can actually at least in theory stay on the field?  I got reservation about Bradberry, too.  But I am on board with signing guys without long injury histories. 

However, they’ve also invested big money in contracts for Paul Richardson and Chris Culliver, for example, guys with IR trips in the past that indicated they weren’t reliable. Those expensive whiffs have to stop, too. 

Now, this is football, not tennis or golf. Nearly every offensive, defensive, and special teams option that's going to be available in free agency will have some sort of ailment or issue that’s kept them from the field. It's unavoidable in certain cases, and risks will be taken. 

That said, it’d be prudent for the Redskins to stay away from those in the 2020 wave who have major or recurring problems. So, who fits that bill in this crop?

There’s A.J. Green, Eric Ebron, Jimmie Ward, Devin Funchess and Jimmy Smith, to name a few. That group lines up at various spots the Redskins need help at and they all have plenty of talent, but they don’t always get to showcase it. 

On the flip side, two possible Washington targets – Austin Hooper and James Bradberry – maybe should be more appealing because of their durability. Sure, some of their contract demands may seem jarring, but they should at least give themselves every chance to earn those dollars. 

Overall, this isn’t exactly a cutting-edge strategy or one that takes complicated analytics to figure out. It's still worth recommending, though, because this isn't a franchise that always abides by the obvious.

The Redskins have too often relied on free agents, draft picks and trade acquisitions who aren’t healthy on a weekly basis. That simply must change throughout the offseason, and that change can first come to fruition starting in a few days. 

I share SIP's reservations about Bradberry. We don't need a 15M corner on that D. With Del Rio leading that unit, I'm confident they'll get it done with the right - not the most hyped - players, whether via free agency or drafting and developing our own. And I know the TE position is key in this kind of offense, but tying up so much loot in a guy like Hooper........man, I'm just not sold. Would Hooper really command huge $$$ or would he want to come to a team/offense where he knows he could shine and thus set himself up for something huge later on? He's just 25. Keim has a great piece here (as usual) on how players don't always just follow the biggest FA payout**:

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39694/show-me-the-money-former-stars-say-cash-isnt-always-king-in-free-agency

** God spoke to Reggie White and Kirk Cousins. Divine provenance just happened to coincide with the highest bid.

34 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

And I know the TE position is key in this kind of offense, but tying up so much loot in a guy like Hooper........man, I'm just not sold. Would Hooper really command huge $$$ or would he want to come to a team/offense where he knows he could shine and thus set himself up for something huge later on? He's just 25.

This is pretty much Hooper's big payday. He's not setting himself up for Contract 3. While he'll probably get one, this is the big moment for him

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe they're in the market for an elite RT, like the guy from the Titans, in anticipation of getting a certain left handed qb??

Smells like fire to me.. I have been saying for months Tua to Detroit makes sense.. This rekindles the small hope they'll trade up to 2 to get him. I can't see them releasing their RT then signing a big money guy hoping Tua falls to them, to me, this signals a strong move to get the guy they want. Anyone know if Detroit has been rumored to want Conklin?

This is going to be very interesting.  Owners are awaiting the vote from the players for a new CBA.  They want it done.  It happens at 11:59pm tonight, 3/14.  FA talks and dealings officially open Monday at 4pm, 3/16 and contracts can officially be faxed/signed on 3/18.  Wouldn't it be dirty of the NFL and the NFL owners to cancel FA talks/dealing if they are only waiting on a vote to see if the players will accept their deal by 12:59pm tonight, then shut the NFL down? 

Archived