Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

Since there were some grumblings about continuing the old thread, and since all things Brucifer are best forgotten, here is a thread as fresh as the Del Rio hire.

Hmmm, Del Rio means of/from the river, and our coach's name is Rivera....

Gone:

Ereck Flowers

Added:

Kendall Fuller

Wes Schweitzer

Kevin Pierre Louis

Thomas Davis

Sean Davis cut

J.D. McKissic

Logan Thomas

Cornelius Lucas

Richard Rodgers cut

Peyton Barber

Thomas Davis

Vujnovich

Cody Latimer cut

Cornelius Lucas

Ronald Darby

Traded 5th rnd pick for Kyle Allen

Re-signed Orchard

Franchised Scherff

Going off the old thread that stated the colts don't want ebron back, he is from NJ and went to unc.  Maybe he will want to get back closer to home.

I always thought he was too inconsistent.  He has the pedigree at a TE that went 10 overall, and he had a great season last year with Indy.  However, he is a poor blocker.  Be interesting to see his market for the right price, he would be a huge upgrade over what we have as a receiving TE.

One guy I hope we target is FS Tre Boston.  He has signed relatively cheap contracts, would be an upgrade over what we have now, and played for Rivera on 2 different occasions.  I have a feeling he has bounced around bc he might be a pain in the hole, but Rivera could attest to that, and if he signs off, Boston could be great bang for the buck.

I can see us going defence heavy in the draft, and looking to FA to add a bit of veteran quality to a young core group on offense.

Several options at TE as discussed. Same at QB depending on what we do with the group we have. 

If he makes it to FA, I'm taking a shot that Ron would take a hard look at AJ Green. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

If he makes it to FA, I'm taking a shot that Ron would take a hard look at AJ Green. 

Why would we look at a 30+ yo WR when this is an incredible WR draft and we may have hit on 3 starters last year in the back half. Green would be thee worst signing.

I think we're staying very young, unless Rivera has a seasoned vet he really likes to help with culture.

16 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Since there were some grumblings about continuing the old thread, and since all things Brucifer are best forgotten, here is a thread as fresh as the Del Rio hire.

Thank you for doing this.

35 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Why would we look at a 30+ yo WR when this is an incredible WR draft and we may have hit on 3 starters last year in the back half. Green would be thee worst signing.

I think we're staying very young, unless Rivera has a seasoned vet he really likes to help with culture.

Rivera said a couple of interesting things, firstly he doesn't have the patience for a rebuild. That's not happening here. Plus, he loves our youth and will use a  veteran presence to form the roster. 

Our draft in 2019 was excellent. Incredible is a reach for me at this stage. Ideally I would add a big bodied receiver in the draft, although that may not be an option if we stick at #2 for Young. 

Benjamin and Funchess were drafted high by Ron as well. I'm not saying AJ Green is a given target, but it would not surprise me.

The draft could easily go DE/DB/LB through the first set of picks. 

A veteran WR and TE in free agency could be the way to go.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Rivera said a couple of interesting things, firstly he doesn't have the patience for a rebuild. That's not happening here. Plus, he loves our youth and will use a  veteran presence to form the roster. 

Our draft in 2019 was excellent. Incredible is a reach for me at this stage. Ideally I would add a big bodied receiver in the draft, although that may not be an option if we stick at #2 for Young. 

Benjamin and Funchess were drafted high by Ron as well. I'm not saying AJ Green is a given target, but it would not surprise me.

The draft could easily go DE/DB/LB through the first set of picks. 

A veteran WR and TE in free agency could be the way to go.

Where's the "Ron said" video? I'd love to watch that.

Sims is 6'6", but who knows what we have in him.

I am hoping Hodges stays and we target Henry at TE. I'm guessing whoever the OC is will want to pick some players for the O. Who knows though. He has given the reigns 100% to JDR, so Ron may want more control on Offense. 

I know he said defense is our strength so he wants to finish that up first.

- Priority: one of Hooper, Henry, Ebron at TE

- Priority 2: one of Bradberry, Roby, Jones, Waynes

- Priority 3: Veteran 4-3 OLB on cheap contract 

- Priority 4: FS if the price is right (Boston, Smith) 

I don’t expect to spend a boatload in FA. I don’t think we will release a ton of players and get to $95 million in cap space. I think we part ways with Reed and Norman and replace them with similarly paid replacements and address those positions in Rounds 3-6 in the draft as well. I hope we use the rest to extend Trent and re-sign Scherff.

I would advocate for playing it safe and rolling as much $$ into FA as possible. But I do think we need a CB1 and a TE1 and another OT and those can’t be satisfied solely through the draft unless we trade of #2. 

I would prioritize giving Haskins the weapons and OL to flourish and grow but Rivera is a defensive coach and I could see them trying to add young talent and win now to take advantage of the front 7, not take a slow build. 

I think we will give new money to Trent and Scherff.

We will bring in a WR,TE and vet QB in free agency. Those complement what we have in Haskins and youth at WR and RB. AP should remain for one more year.

We will, ideally, draft Young, then add a FS,CB and LB with our next lot of draft picks. Del Rio is going to be given a young, fast, aggressive D to work with.

Even though Boston was drafted by the Panthers, i think, nobody seems keen to give him a decent deal. Even they didn't last year. I'd pass.

i don't actually like the CB crop in FA much either. Maybe Fuller gets a looks now we have fresh leaders in house. I'd rather draft one in the third or fourth round, something Rivera has done several times in the past.

I, too, love the new thread, Riggo-toni, and I am enjoying the posts so far.  I really don't have an opinion on free agency at this time, but I am very hopeful that this new regime will make the right decisions to make the team better as quickly and as feasibly as possible.  I will say they need to let some players go due to constant unavailability due to injury and others due to consistently bad play.  The past regime has had trouble letting those types of players go.

Priority 1: Offensive Line - Figure out Trent/Scherff/Flowers as soon as humanly possible.

Priority 2 then depends on that. For the sake of brevity, we'll skip the OL talk until we know more about it.

Priority 2: Take a look at all of the FAs (cuts included). Prioritize by skill:age:cost ratio in combination with need grade (how bad do we need to improve?). Cost is NOT the end all/be all here as we have some cap space. But cost should be a deciding factor if two players are close and one is much cheaper.

For me, our needs are in this order(not included the OL need aspect yet):

1) OLB

2) CB

3) FS

4) TE

5) Vet presence at QB

6) RB

7) MLB

8 ) WR

9) DE

10) DT

The top 3 need immediate attention, OL could as well. The TE spot needs help, too. Even if Hentges pans out, and Sprinkle stays as the 3rd TE, we need another option. Teams with strong defenses need reliable tight ends. I think I may personally value getting two TEs over one new receiver at this point. 

Plug as many holes as possible in FA. Even with one-year stop gap types at certain positions (depending on player availability/structure). It's also essential this team has a vet QB presence in the fold so this absolutely needs to be addressed. And I'd say it needs to be a new guy, not Keenum, Smith or McCoy. 

It's difficult to talk too much in priority without the current FA list. So I'll start my thought flow here in this thread and monitor and adjust accordingly.

19 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

It all ties in with the new stadium.. the one with a moat in the middle 😕

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

- Priority: one of Hooper, Henry, Ebron at TE

- Priority 2: one of Bradberry, Roby, Jones, Waynes

- Priority 3: Veteran 4-3 OLB on cheap contract 

- Priority 4: FS if the price is right (Boston, Smith) 

I don’t expect to spend a boatload in FA. I don’t think we will release a ton of players and get to $95 million in cap space. I think we part ways with Reed and Norman and replace them with similarly paid replacements and address those positions in Rounds 3-6 in the draft as well. I hope we use the rest to extend Trent and re-sign Scherff.

I would advocate for playing it safe and rolling as much $$ into FA as possible. But I do think we need a CB1 and a TE1 and another OT and those can’t be satisfied solely through the draft unless we trade of #2. 

I would prioritize giving Haskins the weapons and OL to flourish and grow but Rivera is a defensive coach and I could see them trying to add young talent and win now to take advantage of the front 7, not take a slow build. 

I agree with all of this. I think we use FA to fortify at TE and to solidify the defense. We need to make additions at LB and in the secondary or drafting Chase Young and building an elite DL will be wasted. 

I think we will also prioritize protecting Haskins and giving him weapons.  A TE is a must. I could see us extending Trent. One addition that could be interesting is Amari Cooper. It would be nice if he didn't sign with the Cowboys, and Cooper is a solid veteran that has been very productive when not injured the last part of this season. Cooper and McLaurin would give us two solid outside options. I think however that he may be too expensive. I do see us adding at least one WR in the draft. 

I know its a theme for @KDawg bring players without an intense injury history and I agree with him.  I've been guilty over the years in pushing a player here and there with injury history so live and learn on that front.  The stats below aren't unique, it seems like its every year of late we are among the leaders.  I'll give credit to Casserly on this -- when asked to predict the Redskins seasons in recent years his refrain is its so hard to do because that team above all relies on players who are frequently injured. 

5. S ANTHONY HARRIS

One of the league’s most underrated players, Harris has been a playmaker on the back end of the Minnesota defense since seeing extended playing time in 2018. Harris has the top regular-season coverage grade among safeties at 91.6 after ranking sixth last season. He’s played the majority of his snaps at free safety, but this season has seen him play about 40% of his snaps in the box or over the slot, showing that he can play a more versatile role in a defense. Harris makes plays on the ball as he has nine interceptions and seven pass breakups over the last two years all while missing just four of his 100 tackle attempts. Playmaking, sure tackling safeties are of immense value in the NFL, and Harris has shown both traits as much as any safety in the league over the last two seasons.

9. S TRE BOSTON

Over the last three seasons, Boston has quietly been one of the best pure free safeties in the league, and he’s done it with three different teams. He’s not as versatile as other safeties on the list as he lines up almost exclusively as a pure free safety, but with 11 interceptions and 16 pass breakups over the last three years, Boston is a game changer on the back end. On the other side, his tackling has been poor as he’s missed 25 tackles over the last two seasons. While tackling and lack of versatility drop his value, Boston is a perfect fit in a deep safety role for both single and two-high safety teams.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-10-free-agents-on-defense

7. S JUSTIN SIMMONS

Simmons had a breakout 2019 season, grading at 90.8 overall and earning PFF first team All-Pro honors. The only thing keeping Simmons from being higher on the list is the multiple-year sample, as his previous three years saw Simmons grade between 60.9 and 75.3 prior to his 2019 ascension. The biggest place where Simmons improved has been at the catch point, where he broke up 11 passes in 2019 after breaking up just three in his first three years in the league. At only 26 years old, Simmons will be coveted by two-high safety teams with interchangeable roles, and the hope is that his breakout season was an indicator of big things to come. Even if he can’t duplicate his All-Pro season, Simmons still brings a solid all-around safety who can line up all over the field.

Absolutely @Skinsinparadise

As of right now, we have these injury prone players on the roster (listed by games/season):

Bryce Love (0.0g/year)

Derrius Guice  (2.5g/yr)

Paul Richardson (5.0g/yr)

Reuben Foster (5.28g/yr)

Trey Quinn (7.48g/year)

Jordan Reed (10.83g/yr)

Quinton Dunbar (11.6g/year)

And those are just the guys that we rely upon on a regular basis (or could be in the case of Love [granted, he was drafted injured, so its a SLIGHTLY different situation).

I don't think we should add to that pile. Maybe the new training staff fixes some of that. Maybe it doesn't. But I don't think you can count on any of these guys to be honest. And Foster/Dunbar happen to be in positions where depth is in serious question. 

Sounds like a solid year to go young FS in free agency.

- Anthony Harris - 28

- Tre Boston - 27

- Justin Simmons - 26

Also Byron Jones (27) would be a target of mine at CB.

Spitballing here, but FS don't get paid a ton of $$. The safety market has been flat in recent years. I think you could spend big on a Harris/Boston/Simmons as well as a CB like Byron Jones. 3 marque FA signings at CB, S and TE would do wonders for this team overall. Adding Chase Young in the draft strengthens an already solid position and makes your DL elite. I would argue that the starting Secondary and DL groups below would each on their own be Top 3 to Top 5 in the NFL if not #1 overall (DL at least).

Jones - Boston - Collins - Dunbar

SDH - Foster - Holcomb

Sweat - Allen - Payne - Young

+ Ionidis, Kerrigan, Anderson, Moeau, Moreland

That's a devastating defense and it's fairly easy to attain with our cap space and #2 pick.

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

What’s the best site for an updated list of FA by position? I think we need a good balance of FA and draft acquisitions. I wouldn’t go too crazy with the cash but we should definitely be more active than we have been in the recent past.

There are several out there, but this one looks at the agents based on money and is easy to search by team/position.  Not the best for player evaluation but a nice secondary site I like to use.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

:229:The Rook

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Absolutely @Skinsinparadise

As of right now, we have these injury prone players on the roster (listed by games/season):

Bryce Love (0.0g/year)

Derrius Guice  (2.5g/yr)

Paul Richardson (5.0g/yr)

Reuben Foster (5.28g/yr)

Trey Quinn (7.48g/year)

Jordan Reed (10.83g/yr)

Quinton Dunbar (11.6g/year)

And those are just the guys that we rely upon on a regular basis (or could be in the case of Love [granted, he was drafted injured, so its a SLIGHTLY different situation).

I don't think we should add to that pile. Maybe the new training staff fixes some of that. Maybe it doesn't. But I don't think you can count on any of these guys to be honest. And Foster/Dunbar happen to be in positions where depth is in serious question. 

This is an important list that previous management did not account for and led to the misconception of always being "close".

This doesn't even include Brandon, Moses, Trent or Chris Thompson.

:229:The Rook

I know, broken record, but there are so many threads...

I wish more people felt the need for LB was larger.

Foster cannot be relied upon. SDH is an unproven commodity who has great coverage scores but his sample size isn't large enough. Holcomb showed some promise, but is slow to diagnose and lacks coverage ability. Neither played fast downhill.  You cannot, under any circumstances, count Reuben Foster as anything other than bonus. 

JHC is completely unproven/unknown. That's basically the list of our linebackers. Include Ryan Anderson, who will likely see some 7-tech duties and some spot OLB duties, too, but he's not a coverage guy.

CB/LB/FS needs should be taken very seriously.

5 minutes ago, The Rook said:

This is an important list that previous management did not account for and led to the misconception of always being "close".

This doesn't even include Brandon, Moses, Trent or Chris Thompson.

Moses has played almost every game, so he's there. And he's not awful. But can be upgraded. But given he's fairly durable, I'd continue with him for now.

Scherff, too. Aside the last two seasons. He's been on the field quite a bit. 

Trent has missed some time in recent years, obviously. He's also a suspension risk. So that should weigh in.

Thompson is a free agent, isn't he? If not, yeah. I need to include him. Having a brain fart on CT :ols:

If we can get back Trent, Flowers, and Scherff I would feel pretty good about our OL for next year. I thought Wes Martin played well and while Moses is frustrating he will do I suppose. That would also allow us to really focus on drafting for the defense and a WR in this WR heavy draft. Also give us more freedom to supplement all of our good looking youth on offense with a couple of vets, especially at TE. Gotta let Reed and Davis go and bring in a top FA TE as the number 1 guy.

@KDawg I have to disagree with you about the LBers. I don't think we've got any solid commodities in there really, except maybe Anderson, but I don't think it's quite as desperate as you're making it seem. Seeing as how the new coaches both are LBers, I'd imaging that position will either be addressed by replacement or focus and training. I think there's something there personally, but who knows. 

Archived