Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

Huh? Is it possible this horse still has a pulse? Must confirm before kicking.

It occurred to me this morning that maybe Chase missing all those OTAs in order to do "business" might have had an effect after all. I don't doubt he's in shape even if he does pull himself from games regularly, including on a few key third downs regularly, but I do wonder if some of the technique or scheme issues he's had and some of the regression we are seeing in form can be tied to not doing enough of that early game prep work.

Mind you, four games into a season and after a full preseason, he should have caught up on the "head" aspects of the game he missed by playing hooky during the OTAs, but maybe if he had been all in on the football side, he'd be seeing more results on Sunday.  I remember Clinton Portis starting slow too after skipping practices. It often took him about a month to get up to speed. Maybe that means we'll start seeing Chase again soon. I hope so.

I do think Young will get it going, but at this point, it's fair to say he's underachieving and enduring a sophomore slump. Atlanta supposedly has a bad o line. Chase was nowhere. He's been nowhere too much of the season.

• Like 2

The hit on Teddy Bridgewater yesterday was clearly roughing the passer, helmet to helmet, and literally gave Bridgewater a concussion. No call or even mention of the contact to his helmet.

How blatant hits like that don't get called, where a QB is actually injured, but a questionable hit to the chest that may have grazed Ryan's chin strap is called, just doesn't sit right with me. There's no consistency to really interpret what the refs are looking for. That goes for most flags though. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

The hit on Teddy Bridgewater yesterday was clearly roughing the passer, helmet to helmet, and literally gave Bridgewater a concussion. No call or even mention of the contact to his helmet.

How blatant hits like that don't get called, where a QB is actually injured, but a questionable hit to the chest that may have grazed Ryan's chin strap is called, just doesn't sit right with me. There's no consistency to really interpret what the refs are looking for. That goes for most flags though. 

I agree. It was a brutal call at a critical moment. But Chase has to understand you can't hit high and give the refs the opportunity to make a call. Earlier in the game he shoved Ryan after the throw that very well could have been a flag that extended a drive.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jericho said:

I'm not even sure Chase touches the face mask. It's hard to tell without seeing more angles. Any touching would have been exceptionally minor, if it occurred. Also not clear how chest is now the "neck area".

Though the reffing in the game seemed horrible overall. They was a late flag for illegal contact when the Falcons defender hit Samuel 5 yards down the field. Which seems like a legal chuck. That same defender then interfered with Antonio Gibson, which was not called. So two bad calls, though I guess the end result was about right.

It appears as if Chase was trying to knock the ball out of Ryan's hand and then followed through with the right forearm as he blew by. I wonder if he was so hell bent on trying to cause a strip to make up for his perceived lack of impact plays that he skipped the fundamentals (make the tackle) that would have resulted in a sack. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Agreed here. But I don’t know that it’s even hard work. Just needs to focus on the counter moves and timing. He’s going to be fine.

Yup,he needs to learn counters, when to use them and more work with his hands. A good coach he can relate to could bring on quick technical improvement. It is evident that coach is not currently on the team.

10 hours ago, BigDibbs31 said:

He also got called for a roughing the passer against the giants when he wrapped up Daniel Jones without driving him into the ground. 

He landed on him and that is against the rules. What are you seeing? Other players/teams can figure it out...

9 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Yips...immature...sophomore slump.......

Lots of non reasons, aka excuses, being tossed around in here.  

He needs to put in some major work to learn some counter moves.  The only way out of this is hard work.  And if he does put in the work, it will probably pay off, because he is supremely talented.

I don't think it'll be this year. Seems like coaches have to handhold him through studying tape. 

He probably needs the down year and the criticism to put in the work. Hopefully, this is the ego-check year. 

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think a lack of hard work is his issue. It’s a lack of focus. Like missing OTAs… he was working by all accounts but it’s where he was working and away from his team that means his focus was split. If he focuses on what he wants to be good at and dedicates his time to that… it’ll happen quickly.

Not studying, or learning new moves, doesn't allow you to master your craft.

Terry mastered his craft, and clearly has worked each off-season to improve his game. Chase worked on range of motion in his ankles/feet/toes to reduce injuries.

He's that super talented individual that's always had it easy. Coast his way to the top, but the competition in the NFL is top notch. We're going to see what he's made of in the next year. 

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

It appears as if Chase was trying to knock the ball out of Ryan's hand and then followed through with the right forearm as he blew by. I wonder if he was so hell bent on trying to cause a strip to make up for his perceived lack of impact plays that he skipped the fundamentals (make the tackle) that would have resulted in a sack. 

This is exactly what it looks like. Chase is staring right at the ball and not the QB or his helmet. It was a sloppy play regardless of anything else.

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Yup,he needs to learn counters, when to use them and more work with his hands. A good coach he can relate to could bring on quick technical improvement. It is evident that coach is not currently on the team.

He needs less work with his hands. He’s standing upright, still and engaging in hand battles (patty cake) with O-linemen.

He needs to start driving forward more using his body (lean) and use the arms to steer (using leverage and counter leverage).

He’s embarrassingly bad this year. And I was surprised that prior to this game he believes he’s close to breaking out. 

There’s no close-calls (step late) pressures here. He’s getting washed out completely. Against Jags and backups.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is exactly what it looks like. Chase is staring right at the ball and not the QB or his helmet. It was a sloppy play regardless of anything else.

He's trying too hard to make a play. He's feeling the expectations and pressure.

He just needs to get that first sack. Then things will slow down for him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just saw the play with Chase for the first time. Regardless of the horrible call, that was horrible technique and football play, period. 

I get he was going for the strip, but you secure the tackle first and foremost. That was sloppy and it cost him doubly. Go for the strip in the process of full wrap and tackle. The outcome should be sack, +/- the strip.

Terrible play, he needs to step up his game

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Die Hard said:

He needs less work with his hands. He’s standing upright, still and engaging in hand battles (patty cake) with O-linemen.

He needs to start driving forward more using his body (lean) and use the arms to steer (using leverage and counter leverage).

Patty cakes is the issues. He needs learn to use body leverage with hand speed and strength to maneuver around, through  or move the OL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

Just saw the play with Chase for the first time. Regardless of the horrible call, that was horrible technique and football play, period. 

I get he was going for the strip, but you secure the tackle first and foremost. That was sloppy and it cost him doubly. Go for the strip in the process of full wrap and tackle. The outcome should be sack, +/- the strip.

Terrible play, he needs to step up his game

The only thing Chase did was go for the ball fake. He was trying to stop a pass, when he didn’t throw the ball he was almost by him.

Didn’t come close to a roughing the passer call. Hit was to his shoulder.

• Thanks 1

Chase does the same dumb ass speed rush every single time..His technique sucks.I mean when i look at other Pass Rushers they use their hands to swipe OL hands away..Chase does no such thing and he just doesn't have any bend to think he can just run around  a Tackle..

• Like 1

I watch Chase and I want him to go back and talk to his college DLine coach. He is doing way too much and playing himself out of the play. I keep watching to see how many times he is double teamed and teams are realizing that he is not the same dude as before because they go from paying attention to him early to letting a Tackle block him mano-a-mano. Dude is busy playing pat-a-cake pat-a-cake with whomever is blocking him... hardly being held again unlike before. He might even get to a point where a TE blocks him if he doesn't improve his rush angles.  I was pleased to see Toohill get in there and flash...  

Compare the rush intensity of Ioannidis. Ioannidis takes on two blockers and darn near rips them apart... meanwhile, hommie is busy playing  pat-a-cake pat-a-cake and being guided out of harm's way. 

• Like 1

I don't even care about the sacks, and he picked up couple late last year which hid the fact that his ability to get to the quarterback is not #2 draft pick material. It's about half of what Nick Bosa did his rookie season and he's continuing that trend this year. He's just not in the same class as the big time rushers. That's fine, he's still serviceable but just disappointing for a top 2 pick that was supposed to be a generational game changing talent.

4 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I don't even care about the sacks, and he picked up couple late last year which hid the fact that his ability to get to the quarterback is not #2 draft pick material. It's about half of what Nick Bosa did his rookie season and he's continuing that trend this year. He's just not in the same class as the big time rushers. That's fine, he's still serviceable but just disappointing for a top 2 pick that was supposed to be a generational game changing talent.

A #2 overall pick better be better than just serviceable..He needs to get his **** together and start producing..Instead of working on his brand,he should of been working on his craft.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Not sure what kind of techniques Sam Mills III is teaching the D-line.  I saw too many incidents at the snap where the opponent OT got both of his hands in Young's chest and pushed him back.  Not a good look, if Washington was planning on quick pressure from that end.

I will say, the D-line WAS looking a little better this weekend.  Not sure if this was due to D-Line improvement, or to a drop in the quality of opponent's O-Line protection.

13 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I agree. It was a brutal call at a critical moment. But Chase has to understand you can't hit high and give the refs the opportunity to make a call. Earlier in the game he shoved Ryan after the throw that very well could have been a flag that extended a drive.  

the problem is he got flagged for wrapping and properly tackling in another game.  At this point we're getting to "Chase has to understand he's not allowed to touch the QB"

2 hours ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I gotta give you some props, you definitely got ridden pretty hard last year for your skepticism of chase and you could be in here beating your chest but your not.

It's nice to see someone take the high road every once in a while and I apologize for any comments I may have made that insinuated you were way off base.

• Like 1