Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

2 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Maxx Crosby level is where he should be right now. 

He's getting the music and sounds like the coaches are helping him and some glimpses of improved technique. We'll see...but right now, very clearly the wrong pick for the franchise. 

1) Herbert + pass rusher

2) Young + QB at the top of the draft

The cost of getting to the top QBs of the draft - where you have to be to get a QB - has already been witnessed by this fanbase. 

It may cost three 1sts to get the next QB. Hindsight makes it a strategic miss, salvaged only by a dominant career. 

Yeah? How would you have felt watching Tua the last year and a half because there's a 90% chance he would have been the QB we drafted and a 90% he would have been the QB the Chargers drafted had they the choice.

4 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Yeah? How would you have felt watching Tua the last year and a half because there's a 90% chance he would have been the QB we drafted and a 90% he would have been the QB the Chargers drafted had they the choice.

Herbert was the better prospect to me, and I think I've previously shown in this thread he was widely considered top 5 pre-draft by analysts and draftniks.

Dolphins making a bad pick wasn't shocking at the time. Yes, this franchise has a reputation for making the bad choice, so you could be right?

• Like 1

In terms of Chase Young vs. Justin Herbert----with hindsight Herbert is the pick.  He looks like a solid franchise QB.

But there were a lot of questions marks after a mildly disappointing 2019 college season.  The majority opinion was that Tua was the better prospect.  Meanwhile Chase was viewed as a once in every 10 years type pass rusher.

I think we made the right pick at the time with the information we had.  However, I agree with hindsight you take Herbert.   In fact if all teams including the Bengals had hindsight, I find it hard to imagine Herbert doesn't go 1, so that would leave us with Burrow (still a solid get--a franchise QB).   The Lions at 3 would get Chase Young in the redraft and Giants at 4 would get Tristan Wirf

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Herbert was the better prospect to me, and I think I've previously shown in this thread he was widely considered top 5 pre-draft by analysts and draftniks.

Dolphins making a bad pick wasn't shocking at the time. Yes, this franchise has a reputation for making the bad choice, so you could be right?

Of course you did!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 9/7/2021 at 8:03 PM, Silvernon said:

Top 5 for:

Sports Illustrated

Sportingnews

Bleacher Report

NFL.com - Daniel Jeremiah

USA Today

LA Times

NBC Sports - Peter King (trade up #3)

Mostly everyone else had him going at 6. There was plenty of support for Herbert.

Sure, there was some sort of 'rise' in the media. That happens in every sport as the scouts finish their assessments and the coaches get to theirs. That happens partway through the hype season. 

Going back to late 2019 and into January he was considered a top 10 pick in the media. Some having him in the top 15, some in the top 5.  

Consensus top 5 QB should absolutely be an option at 2. Officially, as per Rivera, it was only Burrow or Chase. 

15 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Of course you did!

See above. 

The point was that a QB that is considered a top 5 pick in his class needs to be an option at #2OA. The rarity of securing a pick that high in the draft necessitates that strategy. 

Chase Young + QB

Herbert + R1 DE + R1 LB + R1 CB

If Chase doesn't become dominant - one of the consensus best defensive players in the league - this hurts the team for years because they will likely have to use draft capital.

The team won't pile up compensatory picks, and they had a draft pick deficit that they couldn't get out of for the longest time post RGIII. 

Heaven forbid you trade up for a flop at QB and you basically assume the next 3-4 years are almost a lost cause. 

Edited by Silvernon

16 hours ago, philibusters said:

In terms of Chase Young vs. Justin Herbert----with hindsight Herbert is the pick.  He looks like a solid franchise QB.

But there were a lot of questions marks after a mildly disappointing 2019 college season.  The majority opinion was that Tua was the better prospect.  Meanwhile Chase was viewed as a once in every 10 years type pass rusher.

I think we made the right pick at the time with the information we had.  However, I agree with hindsight you take Herbert.   In fact if all teams including the Bengals had hindsight, I find it hard to imagine Herbert doesn't go 1, so that would leave us with Burrow (still a solid get--a franchise QB).   The Lions at 3 would get Chase Young in the redraft and Giants at 4 would get Tristan Wirf

No way the Lions pick Chase #3 in a redraft. This Chase goes probably mid-first.  

19 hours ago, philibusters said:

Joe Burrow is a flat out stud. I'm probably in the minority now but I'd still take him over Herbert to be honest. And yea, I don't think Chase is a top 10 pick with the information we know now. Maybe somebody thinks he can develop in to it.

28 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There is no point in constantly bringing up Herbert. That ship has sailed.

What if we kidnap him? 

For the FBI viewing this that is 100% a joke and if Dan Snyder actually does it I have nothing to do with that **** 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

There is no point in constantly bringing up Herbert. That ship has sailed.

It's all hindsight anyway. Herbert had some really good tools but he was far from a "can't miss" prospect. He had plenty of questions about his game coming out of Oregon and whether it would translate into the NFL.

Turns out it looks like it does, but there was almost no way to know that.

Chase Young was an absolute elite blue chip prospect and this place would be up in arms right now if we'd drafted Herbert instead and he'd ended up being a bust. We also had Haskins at the time who appeared to have taken what RR said to heart and had been working hard in the offseason. That turned out to be smoke and mirrors, but there was certainly hope for him before the 2020 season started.

In hindsight, of course I'd take Herbert. But hindsight is usually pointless.

2 other teams that were definitely taking a QB decided not to take Herbert. Even the Lions who knew a QB was on the horizon didn't take a QB. 

Nobody moved up for a QB and another one wasn't taken until the end of the 1rst round. 

Chase was the cleanest prospect in years and nobody second guessed it. 

It's pointless to even talk about.

• Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 9:06 AM, Koolblue13 said:

2 other teams that were definitely taking a QB decided not to take Herbert. Even the Lions who knew a QB was on the horizon didn't take a QB. 

Nobody moved up for a QB and another one wasn't taken until the end of the 1rst round. 

Chase was the cleanest prospect in years and nobody second guessed it. 

It's pointless to even talk about.

As time goes on, people forget the context, and if Herbet ends up having an awesome career people i'm afraid this discussion may keep popping up for a long time. Unless of course we get a qb 😕

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

The entire front 4 played the way they were supposed to. Crapping on them this week is just dumb and for some reason it seems as if it makes you feel better thinking you’re right.

Our expectations of a top 2 pick are just different. Have been the entire time. Your loyalty to mediocrity is admirable though.

• Like 3
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

The entire front 4 played the way they were supposed to. Crapping on them this week is just dumb and for some reason it seems as if it makes you feel better thinking you’re right.

This is not a front 4 thread, its a Chase Young thread. And he didnt comment about the front 4, he commented about Chase.

I didnt watch anything more than what popped up on Red Zone, but I'm pretty sure today was not a feather in Chase Young's cap.  Which means YOU are the one off base.  

Id recommend being less wrong and more self aware before attempting to call others out.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

This is not a front 4 thread, its a Chase Young thread. And he didnt comment about the front 4, he commented about Chase.

I didnt watch anything more than what popped up on Red Zone, but I'm pretty sure today was not a feather in Chase Young's cap.  Which means YOU are the one off base.  

Id recommend being less wrong and more self aware before attempting to call others out.

Lol. Ok. You're right. I forgot Chase is a bust and he along with the rest of the front 4 had nothing to do with holding a GB team to their second lowest yard output, point total of the season in which they'd faced some pretty potent defenses including SF, Pitts and yes even Cincy.

37 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

Our expectations of a top 2 pick are just different. Have been the entire time. Your loyalty to mediocrity is admirable though.

And your predictability of sticking by an opinion when you believe it's correct and then running like a coward for a year when you believe is incorrect is pathetic.

9 minutes ago, max21 said:

I’m not sure how people even defend him anymore, he’s JAG status now. He’s not even close to being a game wrecker like we all hoped for 

Eh...it’s his 2nd season. He had one good season last year, and now this season obviously hasn’t been good for him. But personally, I’m willing to defend him for the sole fact that nobody knows what next season will look like for him. I’m willing to give him time, as awful as he’s been. 

he absolutely HAS to prepare much better this offseason if he wants to be better next season. I’m waiting to see how he responds from the bad year he’s had 

7 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

I have to admit. I’m not seeing “generational” when I see Chase. 

Right now he's a really good run stopper and that's about it. He's our worst pass rusher among starting DL. Sweat and Allen were destroying their counterparts today. Young got blocked by a freaking WR on a screen pass.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Eh...it’s his 2nd season. He had one good season last year, and now this season obviously hasn’t been good for him. But personally, I’m willing to defend him for the sole fact that nobody knows what next season will look like for him. I’m willing to give him time, as awful as he’s been. 

he absolutely HAS to prepare much better this offseason if he wants to be better next season. I’m waiting to see how he responds from the bad year he’s had 

Can’t argue with that, really hope he bounces back. I just really wanted to have a superstar/all pro type player so bad.