Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Right. So go back to this:

B79AAAF1-E068-497D-A2B1-D8436A5D009D.jpeg.fe8e001cd9880b6c458288cb75f53983.jpeg

“even if initial contact is lower than player’s neck” and “forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck AREA”

The rules are sometimes intentionally vague to leave some judgement there in the spirit of the rule. In that sense, I’d agree that they got it incorrect as the spirit of the rule in my opinion is NOT for what happened here. But the strict interpretation holds up.

Not forcible hit if a 265 lb DE doesnt immediately knock over a "defenseless" QB. Not defenseless anyways because he still had the ball. It wasn't in the act of or immediately after throwing the ball. It was after a pump fake which wouldnt be considered in the act of or immediately after throwing the ball. Terrible call 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BigDibbs31 said:

Not forcible hit if a 265 lb DE doesnt immediately knock over a "defenseless" QB. Not defenseless anyways because he still had the ball. It wasn't in the act of or immediately after throwing the ball. It was after a pump fake which wouldnt be considered in the act of or immediately after throwing the ball. Terrible call 

Agree.  Bogus call.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigDibbs31 said:

You are clearly just in the mood to argue. And that’s okay. But the act of him not attempting to wrap and throwing a forearm into the neck area (by interpretation of the official) is a forcible act. The fact that his throwing arm is ****ed back makes him defenseless by rule as that is the “throwing posture”.

I get that the call could have cost this team the game. I also get why everyone hated it because, as I said, it was a crappy call to make and in that situation took the game out of the players hands and into a rule interpretation from an official that didn’t have a clear view of the play to begin with.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

You are clearly just in the mood to argue. And that’s okay. But the act of him not attempting to wrap and throwing a forearm into the neck area (by interpretation of the official) is a forcible act. The fact that his throwing arm is ****ed back makes him defenseless by rule as that is the “throwing posture”.

I get that the call could have cost this team the game. I also get why everyone hated it because, as I said, it was a crappy call to make and in that situation took the game out of the players hands and into a rule interpretation from an official that didn’t have a clear view of the play to begin with.

You are in the extreme minority but I am just in the mood to argue? OK. Keep trying man.

Just now, BigDibbs31 said:

You are in the extreme minority but I am just in the mood to argue? OK. Keep trying man.

I’ve tried explaining the rules as written to you and you just don’t want to believe those are the rules, even with them directly posted. 

I get it. I get like that sometimes with officials, too. So I get it. And when that’s the zone you’re in, that’s the zone you’re in.

This conversation with you and I just isn’t fruitful for either of us at this point. Enjoy the Patriots game. Barmore looks like he’d love to rough Brady.

• Like 1

You can see Young start with the forearm near the bottom of the V of the jersey, but his fist eventually rides up to the chin area (whether the turning of the head is caused by the contact with the fist or Ryan twisting away is hard to tell, but I think that head movement is what caused the ref behind Ryan to throw the flag).

Better question is whether Ryan was actually in the act of throwing (thus defenseless) as he has clearly tucked the ball back down by the time Chase makes contact with him.

Best practice by Chase clearly would've been to try to tackle Ryan, but I think he was kind of moving laterally away from Ryan and momentum of his movement made it hard to lunge for that tackle.  Plus the fact that Ryan was pumping just before made Chase try to pull up and then tackle again. 

The rule has swung too far the other way that often leaves defenders trying to bring down QBs in a no mans land.  The ref probably should've let the play go and kept the flag in his pocket.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

In today's NFL that's a penalty. I hate it too but that's how the league is now. If Young just goes for a solid wrap up tackle its probably a sack. Dude is just overthinking and playing passively. He's got a bad case of the yips.

They showed a clip.. a slowmo clip of Ron talking to the refs after the call and that particular ref must've agreed with Ron because Ron said to him "then why don't you pick up the flag?"

Just now, SAli457180 said:

The penalty was pure BS, but unfortunately Chase has a bullseye on his back and should've just plain tackled Ryan instead of the shove which will always get called.  Same thing happened last year vs the Lions when he did the same type of thing to Stafford

He also got called for a roughing the passer against the giants when he wrapped up Daniel Jones without driving him into the ground. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigDibbs31 said:

He also got called for a roughing the passer against the giants when he wrapped up Daniel Jones without driving him into the ground. 

It's going to happen because of who he is and it sucks big time.  Ryan had basically given himself up and had a his knee down which they didn't call.  In this situation, he should've been more fundamental.

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Chase is clearly in his own head out there in the field. Hopefully this doesn't get worse and he figures it out. That should have been his first sack and he blew it. 

He's got a bit of the yips right now. But the talent is too immense. He'll figure it out eventually. At some point he's gonna go on a monster hot streak where he racks up like 5 sacks in 3 games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I hate that it was a penalty. I do not think it should have been called. I hate that the NFL is so protective of QBs. I can't believe that I'm arguing that it is an actual penalty or that I've got to explain where the head is and I eally can't believe KDawg and I agree on something, but it is what it is. Yall real quiet on Terry's fumble call though. Typical pick and choose blame the ref blabber.

Lets clear it up...

Terry was bang bang and whatever call on the field stands.

Holcombs strip was called correctly.  The other tackler had stymied the ball carrier and when the 2nd guy joins, the refs blow it dead pretty quick.  Very standard call.

The call on Chase was absolute bull****.

Glad I could help!

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Yips...immature...sophomore slump.......

Lots of non reasons, aka excuses, being tossed around in here.  

He needs to put in some major work to learn some counter moves.  The only way out of this is hard work.  And if he does put in the work, it will probably pay off, because he is supremely talented.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Yips...immature...sophomore slump.......

Lots of non reasons, aka excuses, being tossed around in here.  

He needs to put in some major work to learn some counter moves.  The only way out of this is hard work.  And if he does put in the work, it will probably pay off, because he is supremely talented.

Agreed here. But I don’t know that it’s even hard work. Just needs to focus on the counter moves and timing. He’s going to be fine.

• Like 1

Agreed here. But I don’t know that it’s even hard work. Just needs to focus on the counter moves and timing. He’s going to be fine.

It may not actually be that difficult but he better approach it as hard work.  Every single rep.  Put the hard hat on and go to work.  Stay late.  Work 1 on 1s after practice.  Put in OT with the coaches.  Watch every scrap of film there is.  Work, work, work, and work some more.

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

It may not actually be that difficult but he better approach it as hard work.  Every single rep.  Put the hard hat on and go to work.  Stay late.  Work 1 on 1s after practice.  Put in OT with the coaches.  Watch every scrap of film there is.  Work, work, work, and work some more.

I don’t think a lack of hard work is his issue. It’s a lack of focus. Like missing OTAs… he was working by all accounts but it’s where he was working and away from his team that means his focus was split. If he focuses on what he wants to be good at and dedicates his time to that… it’ll happen quickly.

• Like 2

I don’t think a lack of hard work is his issue. It’s a lack of focus. Like missing OTAs… he was working by all accounts but it’s where he was working and away from his team that means his focus was split. If he focuses on what he wants to be good at and dedicates his time to that… it’ll happen quickly.

I think we are saying the same thing with different words lol.  Agreed.

• Like 1

I’m glad that most have turned more into “Chase will be fine” than “Overhyped and won’t amount to anything.” 

His weaknesses are being exploited and now it’s up to him to learn and grow as a player. If it was always easy in life, there wouldn’t be any satisfaction. When he does figure it out, it’ll be fun to watch. 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

THIS I agree with 100%. The official calling it has no angle to make that call regardless of correctness. I’m 100% with this argument.

I personally think this is a bigger problem. Where Refs are reacting to assumptions even though they can't see but it's not reviewable. I know and I hate that it slows down the game, but in instances like this, going from first down the other way to an automatic first, everything should be reviewable. If the refs are that determined to be a major influencer in how games go, then they absolutely need to be held accountable for the decisions they make. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

@KDawg Watch the slow motion replay in this clip at 17 seconds and tell me you still think this is a real penalty.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1444744540141854722

Yes. He didn’t attempt to wrap and delivered a forearm to the neck area. 

But again, this kind of play wasn’t the intent with the rule and the flag shouldn’t have been thrown.

The rules are to the point where tackling the QB gets you penalized as does hitting him. For someone who is having a rough season that does play in your mind and causes you to do things you wouldn’t normally.

• Thumb up 1