Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

I'm not sure where the lines are getting crossed, perhaps there are a few labeling Chase a bust already, and I'm just not seeing it or paying it any mind.  It seems we are confusing general disappointment with his play through 3 games with folks giving up on him entirely.  When you are drafted second, win DROTY, do more talking than team activities all summer, have zero sacks through 3 games, and plenty of tape to suggest he's doing his own thing and getting entirely taken out of plays ---- folks are going to talk about it, and it's not going to be nice.  As WFT fans, we have clinical PTSD so it's only natural to expect the absolute worst possible outcomes.  Give folks a break.  If Chase ends up not meeting his potential, it won't be because WFT fans weren't supportive enough.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

He'll get it together and be a solid player or even a star. He's got all the tools and - it appears - the desire to be great and the willingness to do the work to get there. He's not there yet, though.

The team has done him no favors by anointing him The Savior prematurely... making him a Captain and featuring him in all the branding and advertising. That raises expectations through the roof, as does Chase himself assuming the de facto team leadership mantle.  When the play doesn't match all of that, grumbling results among fans...  though hopefully not in the locker room, because that would open up a whole nuther level of unneeded Redskins-esque drama.

Edited by Dan T.

This is so true! They did the same to RG3 and the guy never had a chance to live up to all the expiations. It can be said for the whole D-line. They should and will be better. But not sure they will ever live up to all the hype. Don't get me wrong I really hope they do!

Edited by wes

I echo @BatteredFanSyndrome's take. 

There is nothing wrong with holding players accountable. We are all held accountable in our lives. I can't pretend to know anything about succeeding as a professional athlete. But I do know enough about football to know that Chase Young has been disappointing and underwhelming this year. When you do all the things he did in the off-season and ride the wave of fame, you open yourself up to these criticisms. That's not to say he doesn't have every right to maximize his fame and earning ability. He absolutely does and he doesn't need to feel compelled to explain it to anyone. This is America and it's a free market. 

BUT, he also has to accept that his desire and motivation and work ethic might be questioned. It reminds me of that freedom of speech debate...the freedom to say whatever you want doesn't ensure that there will be no repercussions for what you say. Same goes here...he's free to skip OTAs, do appearances on commercials and game shows, etc. But in doing so, fans are just as free to criticize those choices. Maybe he gets better, maybe he continues to struggle. Who knows? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wes said:

This is so true! They did the same to RG3 and the guy never had a chance to live up to all the expiations.

This is an insult to Chase Young and what he has going on right now.  It's not even in the same ballpark.

RG3 had plenty of chances, he just had an ego the size of a small continent and stunk at playing NFL QB.  His downfall had 0 to do with fans and media and everything to do with him.  As will be the same with Chase if he happens to fall off the face of the earth, which I seriously doubt.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is an insult to Chase Young and what he has going on right now.  It's not even in the same ballpark.

RG3 had plenty of chances, he just had an ego the size of a small continent and stunk at playing NFL QB.  His downfall had 0 to do with fans and media and everything to do with him.  As will be the same with Chase if he happens to fall off the face of the earth, which I seriously doubt.

It is not a insult to CY! He may very well turn into the player we all think he can be. But he has been put in a place on this team where he must preform at a all pro level or people will view him as a failure.  RG3's downfall also came from a knee that was not taken care of by the team and a system that put him in harms way on on a lot of plays. Yes his ego got in the way and Chase seems not to have one. That is awesome. But both were considered franchise saviors when they arrived . Chase will also have plenty of chances you can count on that! 

Edited by wes
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'm not sure where the lines are getting crossed, perhaps there are a few labeling Chase a bust already, and I'm just not seeing it or paying it any mind.  It seems we are confusing general disappointment with his play through 3 games with folks giving up on him entirely.  When you are drafted second, win DROTY, do more talking than team activities all summer, have zero sacks through 3 games, and plenty of tape to suggest he's doing his own thing and getting entirely taken out of plays ---- folks are going to talk about it, and it's not going to be nice.  As WFT fans, we have clinical PTSD so it's only natural to expect the absolute worst possible outcomes.  Give folks a break.  If Chase ends up not meeting his potential, it won't be because WFT fans weren't supportive enough.

WFT fans are like dating someone who has been used and abused in their past relationships. We are desperate and needy and clingy. We throw all our past pain on new players out the gate. We throw all our hopes and dreams on new players out the gate. It's not about being supportive as much as it is about us being needy and cynical and quick to turn on our own.

I was reading through another fanbases message board recently and the topic was one of their rookies starting slow in the discussion. The general sentiment was that, "They are a ____ and we have their back as long as they're in our jersey." I've never seen that attitude from our fans- myself included. That same team had another defender recently who was drafted with high expectations who struggled his first few seasons to meet expectations. They stuck with him and that player is now getting credit as one of the best at his position. It was his work that did it, but I'm sure not having the fans and media turn on him helped keep his confidence.

I'm now a part of the cynical crowd here so I'm not judging anyone for their PTSD, but we can also have self awareness to acknowledge this isn't the best environment or fanbase for a young player to develop in. Fans and media are obviously not the number one factor in a player's development, but we shouldn't act like we don't contribute to the culture. Fans and media are one of the big distinguishing factors between teams.

What makes this team desirable usually only after a huge payday? If you were a pro athlete, would you want to play for this fanbase if given the choice to play for any fanbase? It's not our fault, and I'm not blaming the fans for the lack of success, but our loyalty and support of the team is very weak, and new players like Chase have nothing to do with the cynicism and impatience we have all gained over the years.

Also I'm realizing that I have been having this conversation on here for nearly two decades about nearly every top player we draft.

Edited by IrepDC
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

What makes this team desirable usually only after a huge payday? If you were a pro athlete, would you want to play for this fanbase if given the choice to play for any fanbase?

Dan Snyder

Crap stadium

Crap facilities

Perennial loser for decades

Dwindling fanbase that’s had enough of all the above.

I’m going to go with….Hell no.

But the fans are the victims here.  Not the players.  At least they get paid for this.  We willfully pay for this pain.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Dan Snyder

Crap stadium

Crap facilities

Perennial loser for decades

Dwindling fanbase that’s had enough of all the above.

I’m going to go with….Hell no.

But the fans are the victims here.  Not the players.  At least they get paid for this.  We willfully pay for this pain.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying. To this point though, players who develop here do so in spite of the Team, not because of it. 

All the years we've been skins fans you'd think we'd have memorized the pattern by now.

Chase will spend the first 4 years of his cheap rookie deal grossly under performing expectations. 

His more expensive 5th year option he'll have a slight breakout creating one of two possibilities. 

One, he'll sign a massive contract with us that he'll never live up to or two he'll move on to somewhere else where he'll finally realize his potential and become a star.

Sorry I'm feeling a little jaded this week and I'm tired of getting my hopes up with this team only to have Lucy yank the damn ball out again!

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

8 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Myles Garrett has been in the league 5 years. Chase Young is starting his second. That you expected a sophomore to put up a 5 year veteran's stats is your own mistake for over-hyping him.

Garrett had 7 sacks in his rookie year and 13.5 in his 2nd.  I expected Chase to follow that trajectory.  Long way to go this year, but he's been invisible in each game this year as well as a playoff game last year.

Yes, I exepect a guy with his collegiate output, physique, draft capital, and rookie performance to improve in year 2.  He has not done that.

• Like 1

I’m not sure where wires keep getting crossed here. The DL is not WFTs biggest problem defensively. 

The linebackers are. Followed closely by slot corners and safeties. And the corners. 

However, the DL is the largest disappointment and the absolute pound for pound most underachieving unit. 

They are still the best overall unit on the team despite the struggles.

Payne and Allen are the best two players on the D right now. Chase has the highest upside and Sweat is right behind him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Our confidence just looks shot out there. Hopefully a win can usher in some positive vibes.

I agree, although I think realistically with the the murderers row of upcoming opponents, "wins" will be hard to come by easily.  Will need to start with a few moral victories. Stop an opening drive, force a turnover, don't allow every 3rd and long conversion, actually get a sack. Something to convince this shattered unit that it is capable of something positive even if the final outcome is still an "L."

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’m not sure where wires keep getting crossed here. The DL is not WFTs biggest problem defensively. 

The linebackers are.

This

That the FO did not address this in FA and the draft (in addition to Jamin) still upsets me.

:229:The Rook

I’m not sure our back 7 is so bad scheme couldn’t play to their strengths.  That would require adjustments tho.  Like pressuring wrs off the ball go disrupt the timing instead of giving them an instant 10 yard cushion to roam where they please.  We should be manned up and ball hunting 

Sometimes we make statements comparing our players to players on other teams based on only knowing their highlights since most don't follow every team like the home team. The 3 game sackless streak was really bothering me so I went to look up if other top pass rushers ever had streaks like this without a sack. Here's what I found.

Joey Bosa has had 3 game streaks without a sack in every full season he has played in(2016, 2017, 2019, 2020). In one of those years(2016), the 3 game streak was to start the season.

Nick Bosa only has one full season under his belt. The other was shortened by injury. In his one full season, he had a 3 game streak without a sack weeks 9 through 11.

Von Miller is usually pretty consistent, but in his full season's he's had streaks of 3(2011, 2017, 2018, 2019) and 4 games(2016) without a sack before. In 2019 he started the season with a 3 game streak without a sack.

Myles Garret had two 3 game streaks and one 4 game streak without a sack in his rookie season(2017). The 4 game streak was to start the year. He also had a 3 game streak without a sack in 2019.

Someone already mentioned pass rushers tend to get their sacks in bunches. It looks like the stats prove this to be true. 

Disclaimer: Chase has work to do. There is no denying this. But also, we might need to be a bit more patient and understand these streaks of "disappearing" as we call it have happened in most of the top pass rushers' careers. 

• Like 4