Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

Just now, BigDibbs31 said:

It was a terrible call. You are in the extreme minority. 

I’m reading the rule and interpreting it as written and as it’s to be enforced. 

Again, I don’t agree with the rule. That should have been a sack and in that situation, the way Ryan didn’t even go down, that flag should have stayed away.

Just now, PartyPosse said:

Keep telling yourself that. 

Will do. 

• Like 1

Just now, KDawg said:

I’m reading the rule and interpreting it as written and as it’s to be enforced. 

Again, I don’t agree with the rule. That should have been a sack and in that situation, the way Ryan didn’t even go down, that flag should have stayed away.

It was a forearm to the chest. Should have never been called.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Are we looking at the same picture? Beyond that it doesn’t matter. Head and neck area is the rule, not necessarily the facemask.

I can see 100% of Ryan's chinstrap, his face mask does not extend below that so Chase is not hitting him in the face or head, meanwhile Young's fist is obscuring Ryan's jersey which to me says contact in the chest, not the neck

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

It was a forearm to the chest. Should have never been called.

So, I realize we’re at odds in this debate and you’re not going to trust me… 4563B87F-9339-468D-8436-2776446DAE68.jpeg.3b6ffca276e4c0d2f21a0b523f9555d4.jpegbut for consideration: referees at all levels of football consider the v of the jersey to be the neck area of the player.

Because the fist is above that area, that is considered the neck area. 

Just now, carex said:

I can see 100% of Ryan's chinstrap, his face mask does not extend below that so Chase is not hitting him in the face or head, meanwhile Young's fist is obscuring Ryan's jersey which to me says contact in the chest, not the neck

The fact that the flag came from behind the play meaning the referee couldn't even see where the hit was and ruled solely on the movement by Ryan means calls like that need to be reviewable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So, I realize we’re at odds in this debate and you’re not going to trust me… 4563B87F-9339-468D-8436-2776446DAE68.jpeg.3b6ffca276e4c0d2f21a0b523f9555d4.jpegbut for consideration: referees at all levels of football consider the v of the jersey to be the neck area of the player.

Matt Ryan was not defenseless and it wasnt forcible. It didnt even directly knock him down

• Like 1

Just now, PartyPosse said:

The fact that the flag came from behind the play meaning the referee couldn't even see where the hit was and ruled solely on the movement by Ryan means calls like that need to be reviewable.

THIS I agree with 100%. The official calling it has no angle to make that call regardless of correctness. I’m 100% with this argument.

Matt Ryan was not defenseless and it wasnt forcible. It didnt even directly knock him down

He was in the act of throwing the ball. That is defenseless.

• Like 2

Just now, KDawg said:

THIS I agree with 100%. The official calling it has no angle to make that call regardless of correctness. I’m 100% with this argument.

He was in the act of throwing the ball. That is defenseless.

He threw the ball after. He wasnt in the act

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BigDibbs31 said:

He threw the ball after. He wasnt in the act

This is an incorrect interpretation. Because his arm is in the throwing posture, that makes it in the act. 

BC34FEE1-2882-440D-93BD-D77D9AA1A5E7.jpeg.83caf9e9b0a80a9ec1c826326fde09b0.jpeg

I see why you’re saying that. The dude didn’t go down, didn’t throw the ball, fell backwards, his knee hit the ground and then he released it. If the rule was that you had to actually release the ball to be in the act of throwing you’d be 100% accurate. However, the act of throwing is simply the posture you’d be in to throw a pass.

The way to avoid that call is to wrap the QB up. 

But of course you then subject yourself to falling on him and getting a penalty that way. Rules are too ticky tack nowadays but they do it to protect the guys who make the league the most money.

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So the issue is not actually a bad interpretation of the rule but a bad interpretation of the NECK

• Haha 1

Just now, carex said:

So the issue is not actually a bad interpretation of the rule but a bad interpretation of the NECK

They called it by the rule book but not by the spirit of the rule, in my opinion. So while I believe the call to be technically correct I think the situation in this scenario warrants not throwing the flag. 

Unfortunately this is a sport where there is a ton of grey area. This play was a large part of that grey area and, as PartyPosse said it came from the referee behind it who didn’t have the angle. I’ll add to that argument as well: the flag came late. 

I'm not even sure Chase touches the face mask. It's hard to tell without seeing more angles. Any touching would have been exceptionally minor, if it occurred. Also not clear how chest is now the "neck area".

Though the reffing in the game seemed horrible overall. They was a late flag for illegal contact when the Falcons defender hit Samuel 5 yards down the field. Which seems like a legal chuck. That same defender then interfered with Antonio Gibson, which was not called. So two bad calls, though I guess the end result was about right.

• Like 2

Just now, Jericho said:

I'm not even sure Chase touches the face mask. It's hard to tell without seeing more angles. Any touching would have been exceptionally minor, if it occurred. Also not clear how chest is now the "neck area".

Though the reffing in the game seemed horrible overall. They was a late flag for illegal contact when the Falcons defender hit Samuel 5 yards down the field. Which seems like a legal chuck. That same defender then interfered with Antonio Gibson, which was not called. So two bad calls, though I guess the end result was about right.

The argument is that it’s not a blow to the chest. He hit the V of the jersey which leaves it open to interpretation from an official seeing it once in real time. 

1 minute ago, BigDibbs31 said:

@KDawg No matter what you say or whatever research you do on rules you are wrong. The forearm was to the chest and a 100% legal play. Ill be up for three more hours to continue arguing if you want. 

This is an enticing argument and very well reasoned. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The argument is that it’s not a blow to the chest. He hit the V of the jersey which leaves it open to interpretation from an official seeing it once in real time.

Thing is, I'm not sure he did. He might have. But the main blow was to the shoulder and there was some follow through

FAzUl91UcAIgh4W?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I hate that it was a penalty. I do not think it should have been called. I hate that the NFL is so protective of QBs. I can't believe that I'm arguing that it is an actual penalty or that I've got to explain where the head is and I eally can't believe KDawg and I agree on something, but it is what it is. Yall real quiet on Terry's fumble call though. Typical pick and choose blame the ref blabber.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I hate that it was a penalty. I do not think it should have been called. I hate that the NFL is so protective of QBs. I can't believe that I'm arguing that it is an actual penalty or that I've got to explain where the head is and I eally can't believe KDawg and I agree on something, but it is what it is. Yall real quiet on Terry's fumble call though. Typical pick and choose blame the ref blabber.

Huh? This is the Chase Young thread. I was surprised that Terry's fumbled was not overturned. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Thing is, I'm not sure he did. He might have. But the main blow was to the shoulder and there was some follow through

FAzUl91UcAIgh4W?format=jpg&name=900x900

Right. So go back to this:

B79AAAF1-E068-497D-A2B1-D8436A5D009D.jpeg.fe8e001cd9880b6c458288cb75f53983.jpeg

“even if initial contact is lower than player’s neck” and “forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck AREA”

The rules are sometimes intentionally vague to leave some judgement there in the spirit of the rule. In that sense, I’d agree that they got it incorrect as the spirit of the rule in my opinion is NOT for what happened here. But the strict interpretation holds up.

Just now, Jericho said:

This is what happens when Chase does tackle someone:

I actually said the same in a reply above. The QBs are over protected.