Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

21 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Someone already mentioned pass rushers tend to get their sacks in bunches. It looks like the stats prove this to be true. 

That was me.  He's been really close, too.  Rivera was on this morning, talking about his pressures against Buffalo implying the sacks will come.  Rivera thinks he's trying too hard and seemed to imply he needs to settle down.   Rivera thinks teams are game planning for him -- chips, doubles, play action, short game.  If you rewatch the games, you can see he's a ball of fire out there, he just needs to play smarter.  He's a smart dude and wants to be great, I am convinced it will come for him and it will happen sooner than later.

22 hours ago, wit33 said:

I worry about freaks with reported poor work ethics, Chase reportedly is a maniacal worker. Path to hall of fame remains intact. 

Yep and not only does he have that work ethic but the intangibles, leadership and value of what he brings to this organization IMO is off the charts.

A.  He's the dude who rallies them before every game.  Heck I thought it was wild considering Chase was a rookie when Kerrigan said, Chase was the leader the D line looks up to. 

B.  He's a captain for a reason

C.  I can't remember the last time we've had a player on defense who cheerleads the offense just as hard including running on the field to encourage them

D. The dude went over to Jaret Patterson's house on draft day to ensure he signs with the WFT.  Talk about extra mile -- team. 

E.  I recall reading he took Jamin Davis out to dinner soon after they drafted him

F. Got Montez Sweat to work out with him in the off season

He comes off as a super teammate, hard worker and has helped give this team some relevance which they are desperate for. 

I'll add, I've seen up close he's super cool with fans.  We got other big players (I won't name them but have done so once in awhile 😀) who want nothing to do with as for chatting with our fans, signing kids autographs, etc -- you can see that in training camp.  Chase is the belle of the ball on that front.  He's said before he'd sign every autograph he could but is restricted because of COVID-19.  I was at a practice where he stood outside for about 30 minutes to talk to fans.  I took some pictures of it.  What a gracious dude.  And for a team that arguably is losing the battle as for winning over young fans -- having a guy like Chase who cares to make their day I think might be a boost on that front.  Back in the day when i cared about that stuff when I was young, I recall loving Cal Ripkin for example in part because of how he'd make time to chat and sign autographs.    Just thought it was so cool for a star to take time out of their day to give back to the fans.  

This team has lacked star power forever.  All of a sudden we got a dude who can sell jerseys.  99s were all over camp. 

We got a player for a change who is talked about nationally.  Before nationally televised games, Chase is often the face of the franchise they show.  He's the feature guy.  The James Bond.  This team has been bleeding fans for a number of reasons but a sneaky reason for it (something I've mentioned for years and others have too) is the lack of star power.    We don't have guys typically high up in any player rankings no matter who does it.  We don't do All Pros.   I recall Beckham once said he thought he helped save the Giants franchise because when they were losing he at least brought some star power to keep them relevant.  He was right.  They had that.  Their team has been awful yet its not bleeding fans.  This team hasn't had a Beckham until now.  Previous one was RG3.  But other than those two players, we haven't really had that star.  Maybe Portis to an extent but there have been too little of it and I think its taken its toll especially with young fans. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

While it's a given that the second-year star has accumulated zero sacks on the season, why he has hasn't been able to get to the quarterback is a less explored angle, something head coach Ron Rivera attempted to clear up this week.

"Well, I think part of it is that he's trying a little harder than he needs to," Rivera said during his weekly appearance with Kevin Sheehan. Rivera can be heard each Friday on The Kevin Sheehan Show at 8 a.m., presented by F.H. Furr. "I think part of it is he's trying to do more than he needs to. Part of it is people know who he is now."

"Even in this game that we played [against Buffalo], he was chipped, he was doubled, they threw play-action at him, they threw some quick stuff," Rivera said. "So he's not getting the opportunities like he had last year either and, again, I think it's one of those things that as he works through it, continues to focus on it, it'll happen. He'll be fine."

https://www.audacy.com/theteam980/sports/washington-football-team/ron-rivera-expectations-for-chase-young-are-unfair

Chase and montez put the expectations out there.  Just saying. I am curious as to why chase is on the right tackle more often than the left this year. Seems like coming from the blindside would be more advantageous.  Anyway I expect them to get it figured out, the dam has to burst sometime right? 

2 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

One thing I will say in reading his comments is that he is not ready to be a captain. He’s a great sideline cheerleader but he is not yet a leader of men. 

I’ve been concerned about him being a team leader last year. It was too much too soon.  I partly blame Rivera and the team for letting it happen. I don’t blame Chase but the most talented guy doesn’t have to be the team leader; particularly when he has so much to learn. RR and the FO should have worked hard to groom Terry or Allen for that role. [Does Allen even do media interviews?]

When I lived in Baltimore, they put Ogden and McCray out front while Lewis was still a jawing character looking for big hits.  

Too bad we don’t lead with our vets. 

Edited by Leonard Washington
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

During the game, it has not about giving another "Rah-Rah" speech. It's about talking to your team-mates about how you want to adjust your attack/ play-scheme against their O-line to put immediate pressure on their QB and maybe even sack him.

It's not bellowing some platitude like "we need to focus!"

Edited by Wyvern
The auto-correct function is awful!!
  • Thanks 1

Making Chase and Bostic captains was a mistake, but im not even sure who the other two captains outside of Allen should have been. Holcomb I guess, since he's calling plays. Curl is a second year guy and didn't start the year as a starter. Fuller lost his CB2 job to a rookie.

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Making Chase and Bostic captains was a mistake, but im not even sure who the other two captains outside of Allen should have been. Holcomb I guess, since he's calling plays. Curl is a second year guy and didn't start the year as a starter. Fuller lost his CB2 job to a rookie.

You're not wrong.

Davis being a bit raw for a first rounder is okay for me because he's a future captain. 

I'm a bit surprised they didn't spend some future draft capital for a vet leader at LB. I get the logic in thinking that you can survive with the DL and Holcomb, but it just hasn't worked out. 

The defense probably doesn't turn around until

Davis > Bostic

Curl > Collins

Depth is so weak on D.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

You're not wrong.

Davis being a bit raw for a first rounder is okay for me because he's a future captain. 

I'm a bit surprised they didn't spend some future draft capital for a vet leader at LB. I get the logic in thinking that you can survive with the DL and Holcomb, but it just hasn't worked out. 

The defense probably doesn't turn around until

Davis > Bostic

Curl > Collins

Depth is so weak on D.

We were planning on playing a 5 man front more, but of course Iaonnidias is already hurt again. That would have made having 1 or 2 LBers in much easier.

I think they're trying to be too cute. Stop rotating the safeties. Go with Davis and Holcomb as the base. If Juste is struggling, put Fuller outside and McTyer in the slot.

It seems like there is a ton of different looks we could have to really disguise our defenses and play to strengths, but it's just too much too fast.

Start a game with your best 11 and play them. If someone isn't playing great, bench them. SS for example. Collins I assume is the starter. Start him and if he's missing assignments and freelancing, bench him and start Curl. Guys look confused and can't get any rhythm out there together.

The Del Rio defense was never a mystery. It's always been hat on a hat and win your battle. I think we have the horses to do that. 

On 10/1/2021 at 9:17 AM, Warhead36 said:

Chase will be good. The comparisons to RG3 and Lavar are absurd. He's gonna have a monster next couple games and all the clowns will STFU.

I mean....he needs to be great.  He's already good.

I don't think the comparisons to Lavar are 'absurd" (to RG3 yes).  When Lavar came out he was highly touted as a play making athletic freak that had all the potential to be a truly great LB, big personality, etc.  Definitely some parallels there but it's way to early to conclude anything -- Chase is in his 2nd year for F sake.  

Too much focus on Chase IMO, he'll be fine -- the issues with the defense are more complex than that and it's gonna take some time to workout.  Everyone needs to be accountable, players and coaches.  Need to bring it every game, every play -- know your role and execute.

• Like 2

Another nothing-burger.  The personal foul was garbage and I'll credit him for pulling up because Ryan fooled him with the pump fake.  Weird play.

BUT

This guy has *got* to be better.  No excuses.  He's too talented for this.

I'm certainly not giving up on him but I am concerned, bordering on very concerned.

5 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Another nothing-burger.  The personal foul was garbage and I'll credit him for pulling up because Ryan fooled him with the pump fake.  Weird play.

BUT

This guy has *got* to be better.  No excuses.  He's too talented for this.

I'm certainly not giving up on him but I am concerned, bordering on very concerned.

He’s struggling. Sophomore slump. It happens a lot. He’s frustrated. The manner some here are basically ready to toss him to the curb already makes me question their football IQ.

• Like 1

I think Year 2 is going to be a humbling lesson for Chase.  As a rookie he got by with a specific technique rushing the passer, but all the tape on him is helping the LT's use technique to run him out of the play most of the time.  This is the give & take of the NFL.   They adjust to you, so you have to find ways to adjust to their adjustments.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

He’s struggling. Sophomore slump. It happens a lot. He’s frustrated. The manner some here are basically ready to toss him to the curb already makes me question their football IQ.

I'm not real interested in buzz words like sophomore slump.  I get what you're saying, but thats shrugging it off.

He has not shown any kind of counter moves on the pass rush.  If his Von Miller speed rush doesnt get home, and he's not nearly as quick as Von Miller obviously, he's toast.  That is a major problem and its a *football* problem.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

You can't tell me that you're not disappointed.  

I don't want to toss him to the curb but I don't believe the true greats have a "sophomore slump."  They either maintain or they get better.

He's regressed.  You can call it a sophomore slump, that's fine.  That might be accurate.  But he's a non-factor and he's been disappointing.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You can't tell me that you're not disappointed.  

I don't want to toss him to the curb but I don't believe the true greats have a "sophomore slump."  They either maintain or they get better.

He's regressed.  You can call it a sophomore slump, that's fine.  That might be accurate.  But he's a non-factor and he's been disappointing.

Im not even sure he's regressed rather been figured out.  Watch these Ohio State clips and tell me if you see a pattern.  And then think of what we see on Sundays.

4 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Im not even sure he's regressed rather been figured out.  Watch these Ohio State clips and tell me if you see a pattern.  And then think of what we see on Sundays.

Yeah, it's a straight-ahead bull-rush.  Probably works great against college players but not so much in the pros.  

I understand where you're coming from but it's not like that wasn't a secret.  And it worked for him last year, it's not like it took 16 weeks for the rest of the league to figure out what he's doing.  The league and coordinators are usually fast to figure things out.  

But you're right, it's all he does.  I'm not sure why he's a non-factor this year but it's troubling.  

• Like 1

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, it's a straight-ahead bull-rush.  Probably works great against college players but not so much in the pros.  

I understand where you're coming from but it's not like that wasn't a secret.  And it worked for him last year, it's not like it took 16 weeks for the rest of the league to figure out what he's doing.  The league and coordinators are usually fast to figure things out.  

But you're right, it's all he does.  I'm not sure why he's a non-factor this year but it's troubling.  

I remember hearing about his incredible bend and how that was the difference maker.  All I'm seeing is tackles letting him bend on out of the play with a nice little bon voyage shove in the back as he flys by.  

By no means am I an expert on scheme or technique when it comes to pass rushers but after watching for 35 years you tend to get a feel for the players that stick out as impact players who will haunt offenses for years to come and I just don't see that out of Chase, its not even close.

• Like 1

Chase Young isn’t right.  Not sure if it’s mental, physical, or both, but he’s not the same guy.  His energy level isn’t right.  Last season he was a ball of energy, on and off the field.  If he didn’t get to the QB he chased down the play.  Always around the ball.  

This year he’s forgetting to tackle the QB and jogging after his pass rush is easily pushed aside.  He’s not the same guy and it’s not because he just has one move that got figured out.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

Chase Young isn’t right.  Not sure if it’s mental, physical, or both, but he’s not the same guy.  His energy level isn’t right.  Last season he was a ball of energy, on and off the field.  If he didn’t get to the QB he chased down the play.  Always around the ball.  

This year he’s forgetting to tackle the QB and jogging after his pass rush is easily pushed aside.  He’s not the same guy and it’s not because he just has one move that got figured out.  

Sure. He’s frustrated and immature. 

• Like 1