Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya, but I was suprised by the runaway train that was the "Young by any means neccesary" movement.  Thats supposed to be reserved for QBs, we should know better.  

I don't think it was just us though. Chase was widely considered the best overall player in the draft and the best pass rushing prospect to come along in quite a while.

We knew Burrow was going 1st overall and at the time there were plenty of questions about how good of a prospect Herbert was. Tua was injury prone and coming off of a really bad one and he was the primary QB people were debating about taking at #2 anyway. I really don't remember many (if any) people in here pounding the table that we should pick Herbert at 2.

At the time, Chase was pretty  much a no-brainer. It's not like we were choosing between him and an Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence level QB prospect.

Now, in complete hindsight would I take Herbert over CY? Absolutely. And that's coming from someone who was (and still am, even though his play so far this season is disappointing) a big Chase Young fan.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Chase Young is more likely to turn into Clowney than he is Reggie White at this current trajectory. Reggie White dominated right away, Chase Young's domination in his rookie season was greatly exaggerated. His rookie season wasn't even close to Nick Bosa's. 

To be fair, Chase was inexperienced (and younger) coming into the NFL when compared to White.

Reggie had a 4th year of college and a year of professional football (USFL) before he ever set foot in the NFL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I don't think it was just us though. Chase was widely considered the best overall player in the draft and the best pass rushing prospect to come along in quite a while.

We knew Burrow was going 1st overall and at the time there were plenty of questions about how good of a prospect Herbert was. Tua was injury prone and coming off of a really bad one and he was the primary QB people were debating about taking at #2 anyway. I really don't remember many (if any) people in here pounding the table that we should pick Herbert at 2.

At the time, Chase was pretty  much a no-brainer. It's not like we were choosing between him and an Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence level QB prospect.

Now, in complete hindsight would I take Herbert over CY? Absolutely. And that's coming from someone who was (and still am, even though his play so far this season is disappointing) a big Chase Young fan.

Agree 100% and I would add that even knowing everything we currently do, I'd rather have Chase than Tua.

Herbert obviously would have been a better choice but it would have been considered a major reach at the time.  What kills me is we probably didnt even look at him closely because of Haskins.

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

To be fair, Chase was inexperienced (and younger) coming into the NFL when compared to White.

Reggie had a 4th year of college and a year of professional football (USFL) before he ever set foot in the NFL.

Good point.

52 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Ah, so we can expect Chase to become Reggie White any time now. Thank goodness 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

It was the tanking for Young thing that got me, join or die, echo chamber that took over the end of last season.  He was who he was as a prospect, but we did make him more then that, unnecessarily. 

Now some of us are questioning his effort of all things, I get that he's not producing, but I feel bad for quickly some are turning on him after the pedestal the same posters put him on the end of last season.

• Like 2

Chase is one of the best things about this team and he is the most talented player we've had in years.  He's a stud and a future face of the franchise.  He has everything you want in an edge prospect and I am more confident that he will become a dominant player than for anyone else on the roster.  For once, I'd like to see this fan base maintain some perspective about one of our great players.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

The issues with Young is NOW the NFL has real tape and film on him from last year rather than him just beating up on piss poor Big 10 line fodder. He will now have to prove he can go to the second level and adjust to them. The problem is the knock on Young out of college once you got through the ridicules hype was that he was not a Nick Bosa type in that he relied far to much on a speed move around the edge. Now scouts did not say he could not bull or power rush but that he simply did not do it; it was all speed rushing.

The NFL has now adjusted to that and are slowing him down by getting tackles to get their hands on him quickly, basically body blocking.He must pull out a new trick either hand slap downs or bull and power rushing thru the lineman which he CAN do and do well but requires coaches to tell him to do that. If their are issues with Young this season its Del Rio's fault for not working with him more in the off-season and training him to use more of a bag of tricks to reach the quarterback

Chase is going through the typical process of being a Washington Football Team player. We are so desperate to become a winner, when we draft talented players, we immediately idolize them like they're going to save the franchise. We throw over the top expectations on them while anointing them leaders very early in their development. We also will kick the pedestal from under them very quickly if they don't reward us soon enough. It's a tough environment to be groomed in.

Regardless of the culture here though, he has to take control of his career and do what he needs to be successful. I personally think he needs mentorship from someone who he can relate to and who can help him navigate this process. I'm not too worried about him yet, but he obviously has some work to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

It was the tanking for Young thing that got me, join or die, echo chamber that took over the end of last season.  He was who he was as a prospect, but we did make him more then that, unnecessarily. 

Now some of us are questioning his effort of all things, I get that he's not producing, but I feel bad for quickly some are turning on him after the pedestal the same posters put him on the end of last season.

I also was all in to tank for Chase.  My enthusiasm for him as a player then was a 10 out of 10.  It remains a 10 out of 10.  

45 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Chase is going through the typical process of being a Washington Football Team player. We are so desperate to become a winner, when we draft talented players, we immediately idolize them like they're going to save the franchise. We throw over the top expectations on them while anointing them leaders very early in their development. We also will kick the pedestal from under them very quickly if they don't reward us soon enough. It's a tough environment to be groomed in.

Agree, give him a little time.   I've rewatched some of all three games.  Chase hasn't been as productive as we'd all like him to be but it will come.  But its not hard to see he's playing with his hair on fire.  He needs to play smarter.  But he's a smart guy, it will come.  Rivera among others talks about how hard he's trying and how hard he's working.  

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Chase is one of the best things about this team and he is the most talented player we've had in years.  He's a stud and a future face of the franchise.  He has everything you want in an edge prospect and I am more confident that he will become a dominant player than for anyone else on the roster.  For once, I'd like to see this fan base maintain some perspective about one of our great players.

100% right on for me.  Chase is a special talent.   IMO we need to chill and let things unfold.  Many forget that even though Sean Taylor (RIP) was a freak coming out of college, he was a work in progress arguably his first two seasons.  He had plenty of flashes but he wasn't an instant All Pro player.   He even had his critics on the board.   His last season, he evolved into the mega super star, All Pro player, that we expected him to be. 

Chase IMO is an elite talent, too.  Lets give him a little time.   I really don't think it will take long.   I think he will come on this season. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

Chase Young is the same guy now as he was in college. Honestly I’m surprised people didn’t understand that is who he was coming out. Doesn’t work his hands enough and relies on his feet. Needs to develop counter moves. He’s never been forced to change it. The last few weeks he’s been trying to run himself into sacks and he’s getting run out of plays.

He’s also the same prototype defensive end that had people yelling “GENERATIONAL!” (Which I think is foolish nearly every time I see it)

It will/should dawn on him soon he has to work moves and he’ll be fine. 

His talent level remains through the roof but he has to make some changes to his game to find consistent success.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

That was eye opening on the Baldy clip.  That is not a good sign.  They need to wholeheartedly do better, care more, study more, play harder.  

That effort is unacceptable.  Chase needs to lead that charge.  Talk is cheap, Balling is better.  Go Get it Done young fella.

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-

15 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

What determines great?  Not trying to bust your balls.....but you can't call him a great player just because he was drafted number 2 and thought to be a generational talent. An old saying from my Navy days to up and coming Chiefs....."respect is earned not given". 

• Like 1

Listened to a Keim-Logan Paulsen podcast today.  Paulsen for me is getting good.  Initially when he was doing the film reviews, I found him a bit boring.  He's not quite Cooley level for me yet but he's getting there.  His observations from rewatching the game and he also slipped that he's talked to some people including one of the D lineman though he didn't say who.

A.  Paulsen called Chase a generational talent.  He thinks people need to be patient with him.  it takes time to learn the mental part of the game.  How to set up an O lineman, add counter moves, etc.  Once Chase does that, watch out considering he has freak athleticism. 

B.  Keim talked about talking to Rivera about Chase.  They talked about his stutter step move.  He's not timing it well.  Chase is being stopped on that move specificially.  He said no concerns exist in the building about Chase. 

C.  Keim said Kerrigan told him once he mentally learned to just draw in his head a line from where his stance is directly to the QB, and then just executed that, and that mental image helped his pass rush tremendously.  Paulsen then countered that Chase isn't doing that as much as he should, trying to run around guys too much, but he will figure it out.

D.  Paulsen made an observation about the D line and then slipped that he talked to a D lineman on the team so this observation seemed to be influenced by that.  The point was more or less the D line seems a bit worried about how they got carved up against the run last year, so they have that heavy in their minds right now and in turn they are hesitating with play action.  And teams are carving them up with the combination of play action and the quick game.   Whomever the D lineman he talked to said he's confused at times by the opposing offense -- is a it run, play action pass, or a quick pass.  

E.  As for coverage Paulsen's crtique is they aren't disguising it much, you can diagnose the coverage presnap.  Otherwise he wasn't really hammering the coaches.   He thinks they will figure this out in time.  

• Like 3

Shawn Springs on Sheehan's show.  It came off that he's not rewatching the games but making observations based on what he saw on the fly so he's not trying to go as deep as Paulsen.

A. Like Fred Smoot, he worships at the alter of Gregg Williams.   They both seem to think Gregg could figure anything out.  I was one of the bigger Gregg guys here at the time, plenty of others did too but I recall some thought little of him.  I'll just say a few of ex players including Matt Bowen who does a ton of film study around the league and played under a number of coordinators believe that Gregg is special.  It's just funny to me how about Gregg gets brought back up by his ex-players with any excuse to do it. 

B.  As for Del Rio, he somewhat gave a mixed message.  He thinks he should be more aggressive yet he also explained why he probably isn't doing it.  He thinks they should play more man yet also said they don't have a shutdown corner and also that Del Rio probably doesn't trust his corners that much in man.  And also said he thinks the corners will improve in time, takes awhile for new corners to learn a scheme. 

This kicks in something Paulsen said which teams don't play man much anymore. A crazy high amount would be something like 40% that one team played.  He said NE and Miami play the most man from what he observed.  But in short, good playmakers carve up man unless you have killer good corners. 

C.  He said a good offense can beat a defense that relies heavily on the front 4.  Just kill them with the quick game and play action and exploit the back 7.  A good front 4 could be schemed around if their back 7 isn't hot.  So he seems to echo some the PFF thesis that the secondary is a critical piece to the defense.  

D.  He hasn't studied Chase directly but said that teams are game planning for him specifically.  He's the most feared D lineman on the front 4.  So he will have to adjust to that.  He thinks he will 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not really that worried about Chase, but I think some of the concern on here or in general might revolve around the fact that year 2 often seems to be when elite pass rushers really hit their stride and become those special guys that are consistent nightmares to face and start putting up big sack numbers (Von Miller, Mack, Garrett, Peppers, TJ Watt for example) and many had that same expectation for Chase, but so far it hasn't materialized.

That doesn't mean it won't, and he clearly is a hard worker and wants to be the best. It just might take him a little bit longer to truly refine his game to where he's up in that echelon of guys.

17 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

I mean yeah, assuming his career doesnt stop tomorrow.  He just needs a couple more seasons of something close to this.  Donald, Mack, Miller, Bosas, Watts...those are his people.  I had all but assumed Chase would be on that level.  Now it will surprise me.  

Myles Garrett has been in the league 5 years. Chase Young is starting his second. That you expected a sophomore to put up a 5 year veteran's stats is your own mistake for over-hyping him.

20 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm not really that worried about Chase, but I think some of the concern on here or in general might revolve around the fact that year 2 often seems to be when elite pass rushers really hit their stride and become those special guys that are consistent nightmares to face and start putting up big sack numbers (Von Miller, Mack, Garrett, Peppers, TJ Watt for example) and many had that same expectation for Chase, but so far it hasn't materialized.

That doesn't mean it won't, and he clearly is a hard worker and wants to be the best. It just might take him a little bit longer to truly refine his game to where he's up in that echelon of guys.

As Rivera said, Chase has been close to landing some sacks.   He had a bunch of pressures on Sunday.  He's playing with his hair on fire.  He's working hard.  They will come.  I think its premature to generalize his 2nd season after the first three games.   I know you aren't generalizing it that way but saying what if it unfolds that way.  For me, I really doubt it unfolds that way.  But you never know will see. 

Sacks often come in bunches.  TJ Watt in his sophomore year had 8 games with donuts as for sacks including 3 of his first four games with no sacks.   Chandler Jones only had 6 sacks in his third season and 7 games with no sacks his 2nd season.   K. Mack had 7 games with no sacks his 2nd season including the first two games.  As far as others, I am too lazy to look so i am definitely not cherry picking, I bet its a similar story for a bunch of these guys.

• Like 2