Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

As long as Young comes back disciplined and ready to play as part of the unit....the sky should be the limit.

I don't think we're going to see this until next year.  I think in a perfect world without any outside expectations, they would have kept him on IR the entire season and not had him play at all.  It doesn't feel like he's remotely ready to play, and I think there is a chance he won't play at all this year.  They might send him to the off-season early, and then have him go to somebody like that guy Samuel went to last off-season who helped him get his confidence back in his body.  Which seems to have worked well.

I don't think you can minimize this injury, it might have been career ending for a lot of people.  

• Sad 1

This week to week for over a month crap is getting very old.

If he's still not ready to play then why was he questionable a month ago?

If he's not ready after the bye just i.r. him for the rest of the year and let him see what he can do next year.

• Like 1

The combination of the JDR’s public comments earlier this week with the news this morning that Chase is unlikely to play today is… interesting. Wondering if his knee is doing fine and he’s been ramping up his workload in practice, they just haven’t liked what they’ve seen from him in practice. 

I’m still not really worried (other than about what he’ll play like when he returns), it would be silly to let him play now when we’re so close to a bye. If he has a setback or still “isn’t ready” by the second Giants game, then I’ll be worried. I don’t mind the abundance of caution approach after what happened when they were so desperate to get Curtis Samuel on the field last year. And Young’s injury was much more serious and future-effecting. 

10 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

…..I’m confused. So what are we even doing here then? Either play him, or don’t. This is getting tiresome. At this point is it even worth it to suit him up just for what, 4 or 5 more games? What a disappointment 

I kind of get what he's saying and your confusion but if the unit is playing really well then how do you get Chase practice reps for a guy they may only play a few snaps per game (conditioned up) and still get the other guys who are going to play the majority of the snaps coached up?     

Here's Keim's tweet on the matter:

On 12/3/2022 at 4:04 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think we're going to see this until next year.  I think in a perfect world without any outside expectations, they would have kept him on IR the entire season and not had him play at all.  It doesn't feel like he's remotely ready to play, and I think there is a chance he won't play at all this year.  They might send him to the off-season early, and then have him go to somebody like that guy Samuel went to last off-season who helped him get his confidence back in his body.  Which seems to have worked well.

I don't think you can minimize this injury, it might have been career ending for a lot of people.  

I think he will see some action this season. I think he has to go through the regiment of a gameday situation, the adrenaline and just test the knee to feel where he's REALLY at while on a snap count.. If he doesn't feel comfortable he at least knows where he's at compared to just practice and can focus on what he feels he needs to improve in the offseason.

Edited by Playaction2Sanders
  • Like 2

Biggest game of the year coming up that likely determines if this team will see the post season.

The uncertainty of his being active really makes me wonder if Chase will ever be the player we hoped he would be.   Are they worried about him being a liability or just his health?  Both?

we all saw how easily it was for Jones to run once a DE came inside and didn’t contain.  Seeing that happen as a potential slower Chase makes a move in while trying to get the sack worries me.  At the same time I’d like nothing more than to see Chase wreak havoc in a game we must win.  Guess we will see.  

Ron basically is trying to tell everyone that you're not going to see Chase this year.  

The regular season is in its twilight and Chase hasn't played in one game.  Ron saying his defense really doesn't miss Chase; it's paying too well without him.  That's not a ringing endorsement for a guy who was taken with the second overall pick.  How on earth are you going to insert Chase this year and not have a massive drop off in play at his position?  He has no game reps, no chemistry with any of his teammates (as demonstrated ad nauseam all of last year until he got hurt), and a world of stuff he has to work his ass off to improve upon.  

Chase is going to have to work harder and smarter this offseason than in any offseason in his life.  He has to hit the ground running next year and prove his was worth the #2 pick.  Right now he isn't.  Just a fact.  Talent and potential mean zilch.  He's going to have to dominate next year.  Unfair?  Maybe.  But the truth nonetheless.   I have no problem with sitting him out the year.  I said last year when he got hurt that we very likely wouldn't see him this year, and if we did, he wouldn't be very effective most likely.  Get him back next year 100% and no excuses.  Big time spotlight on this kid's back next year.

• Like 3

This is turning into a fiasco.  If he can't go, he can't go, but the will he/won't he every week is tired.  At this point, there should be no expectations he'll be any good this year if he does get in. 

And about to go into year 4 and not know what you have in a guy we thought was the next great Washington athlete is disappointing.  Especially even you see guys like Myles Garrett, the Bosa brothers, Parsons, Burns, et al, just tearing up the league.  Young should be right there with those guys and he isn't, for a few reasons.

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

I really don’t think the situation is that odd, being insanely careful with your alleged crown jewel edge rusher when the D is playing fine without him isn’t that crazy. He NEEDS to enter the offseason and next season healthy because it’s our last chance to figure out if he’s worthy of a contract extension. And again, the D has been good in his absence.

He will play this year imo or they’d have put him on IR, there’s no reason to take up a roster spot and play that game. They are hoping to ramp him up end of year and have him as a strong rotational piece for the playoffs, I’m sure. The “will he, won’t he” drama is more a product of them using the only time they have available to test him and see where he’s at each week, which is side work in practice. I doubt it’s actually a drama or fiasco in the locker room because everyone else is hoarding those precious snaps to get ready for the next opponent, while they just see where his body’s at each week. I really don’t think what’s happening is that strange if it’s removed from the necessary weekly media coverage/drama of the whole thing. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

His ceiling this year is situational pass rusher.  He won’t be an everydown player this year.  He’ll be put in situations where he’s set up for success to get his game legs.  UNLESS he comes in and plays out of his mind, he’ll be situational chase this year.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 7:04 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I cannot imagine with the injury that Chase sustained, which wasn't just his ACL as we all know, that he gets full form back until next year. Good example is Barkley from the Giants, after his knee injury. It took a whole year of just playing and trusting his knee to really get back to form. It is physical but there is also a strong mental component. But my main point is you have to play. I expect the same results for Chase. It is important for him to get reps now IMO. Maybe you start with 14 sequences in the upcoming game.  See how he does. I just do not expect him to be fully back until the middle of next year, but you have to play him, to get him there. 

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't know why some are in a frenzy over Chase. Act like he's not here because he's not and chances are he's not going to make an impact this year.

To be honest I forgot he was on the team, just a sideline guy.  He was great in 2020, meh last year until the injury, and we've been fine since.

I was a huge Young fan, and now I'm like, meh?  He's a nice-to-have, I'd rather have Holcomb back than Young right now (yes I know Holcomb is out for the year).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

If he is moved to IR after not yet playing a 2022 snap, will this push his rookie contract out a year? If so, I imagine that is playing into consideration.

No, that isn’t how it works. Only in the case of year-long suspensions does that happen. His contract will move forward. 

• Like 1

Chase Young is fully healed or the Dr wouldn't have cleared him for contact.
Just because an MD is hired by the team doesn't remove him from medical liability. Malpractice insurance is crazy expensive!

Sure WSH pays the Mal for their contractors, but MDs have a license, just like your drivers license. If you get a heavy Mal, you become high risk to un-insurable...

MD gets tagged, sued, and fired for negligence and he's off to a Peurto Rican walk-in clinic. Chase is healed.

Chase isn't in football condition physically and mentally. Has to play to get over the final hurdles. He'll play game 2 but won't be much to see probably. Can be valuable if they make the playoffs though. DAL game could be where he gets his head & feet going full throttle.

• Like 3