Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

1 hour ago, max21 said:

I’ll die on the hill that it wasn’t that bonkers, and he benefited from a pretty weak defensive rookie class. People wanted Jeremy Chinn as DROY with almost identical stats as Curl. Bonkers was Parsons last year. But thats in the past. Really just hoping for a good year for the both of them, I believe 

His overall statistics weren't insane, but he made some big time plays to win games. The fumble on Burrow. The TD vs. the 49ers. He was definitely the most impactful rookie. I do agree he wasn't as good as Parsons was last year but Parsons is just a different kinda cat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

His overall statistics weren't insane, but he made some big time plays to win games. The fumble on Burrow. The TD vs. the 49ers. He was definitely the most impactful rookie. I do agree he wasn't as good as Parsons was last year but Parsons is just a different kinda cat.

Don’t get me wrong, Chase had a fantastic rookie year. A lot of plays like you said didn’t come up on the stat sheet. The goal line stop against Pittsburgh comes to mind also, last year was more of the let down than anything, but he also was invisible against Brady in the playoffs. I’m hoping for a big year for him, he needs to produce if he wants that bag. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Now, Gregg Williams just benched Lavar because he had had it.  Marvin Lewis did also, FWIW, for a few plays.  Are Jack/Ron going to try and let these guys play through it and learn from their mistakes?  You have to think Lavar got plenty of warnings.  Maybe there will come a time when you see less Young/Sweat if they don't perform. Time will tell. 

Not to rehash old history, but Lavar was never benched and his freelancing was mostly a media narrative. 

He had problems, but nothing so extreme an NFL coach would bench him for Warrick Holdman.

He injured his knee and never fully recovered. 

The coaches didn't want to go out there and say he was injured. This was 2004/2005, you didn't have to disclose injuries like you do today. 

14 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Not to rehash old history, but Lavar was never benched and his freelancing was mostly a media narrative. 

That's actually not true.  He was benched.  He played sparingly behind .... H-somethingorother.  Gibbs finally got tired of asking about it and said, "I've talked to LaVar more than any other player I've ever coached." I could look that up but I'm too tired.  If not technically "benched" then his role was greatly reduced.  The only DC he really got along with was Kurt Schotty.  He butt heads with all of the others.  

Marvin pulled him out of games when he wouldn't do his job, and he had a quote at one point which was something like, "LaVar didn't think he could be pulled, but he can, and he knows that now."

LaVar was the biggest disappointment of my Redskins fandom.  He was supposed to be our Ray Lewis.  And he just never lived up to what he was supposed to be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

That's actually not true.  He was benched.  He played sparingly behind .... H-somethingorother.  Gibbs finally got tired of asking about it and said, "I've talked to LaVar more than any other player I've ever coached." I could look that up but I'm too tired.  If not technically "benched" then his role was greatly reduced.  The only DC he really got along with was Kurt Schotty.  He butt heads with all of the others.  

Marvin pulled him out of games when he wouldn't do his job, and he had a quote at one point which was something like, "LaVar didn't think he could be pulled, but he can, and he knows that now."

LaVar was the biggest disappointment of my Redskins fandom.  He was supposed to be our Ray Lewis.  And he just never lived up to what he was supposed to be. 

Again, all this happened after his knee injury and he was never the same player. That's definitely a fact. 

Lavar himself admitted he was still injured in 2005 after all the season drama. 

1 minute ago, Mooka said:

Again, all this happened after his knee injury and he was never the same player. That's definitely a fact. 

Lavar himself admitted he was still injured in 2005 after all the season drama. 

The Marvin stuff was in his third year.  

Sorry, I lived through that whole thing, I remember it vividly. I remember the Kelli Johnson interview after a game where she pressed Gregg Williams REALLY hard about why Lavar wasn't playing, and he refused to give up the goods.  If it was injury, he would have just said so.   And I trust nothing that comes from Lavar's mouth.  

There's more to it.  A lot more.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The Marvin stuff was in his third year.  

Sorry, I lived through that whole thing, I remember it vividly. I remember the Kelli Johnson interview after a game where she pressed Gregg Williams REALLY hard about why Lavar wasn't playing, and he refused to give up the goods.  If it was injury, he would have just said so.   And I trust nothing that comes from Lavar's mouth.  

There's more to it.  A lot more.  

ESPN: Arrington: 'I could have handled things a bit better'

I lived it too and vividly remember this forum in 2005.  

I was one of of the very very few posters trying to tell everyone that Lavar was obviously still injured. 

Coaches didn't just talk about player injuries in those days like that during the season. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'll never forget LaVar saying Gibbs had to "show him something" when he came back in 2004. Right... like Gibbs had to prove something to Can't Get Right.

• Haha 5

Get 10 plus sacks a year, then do what you want. Chase was ineffective in getting to the QB last season— end of story. 

Thought the coaches somewhat scapegoated player last year with discussion about not adhering to assignments. It’s wildly clear the backend was a mess and cussed by the great deal of change that took place in the off-season. 

16 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Nobody is arguing that. He had a hard sophomore slump. This is the stuff that's irritating. 

6kix4v.jpg

Huh? You good lol 

General thought shared amongst other thoughts in my post. 

If Chase sacks the QB he will be free to roam and get out pass rushing lanes like ALL the elite pass rushers do. Really the main idea I was attempting to get across as well as the coaches scapegoating the defensive front at times last year. 

On 6/22/2022 at 8:01 AM, ntotoro said:

I'll never forget LaVar saying Gibbs had to "show him something" when he came back in 2004. Right... like Gibbs had to prove something to Can't Get Right.

He did show him something the next year.

The door.

And it didn't take long for the entire league to do the same.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

He did show him something the next year.

The door.

And it didn't take long for the entire league to do the same.

Crazy to see such a talented and gifted guy get tossed from the league so quickly. 

I don't think that happens to Chase. I think his floor is potential probowl all around, do everything DE and I think with his family background, his attitude won't plummet, but if he and Davis are busts, woosah. I can't think of a team that misses on their 1rst rounders and still has success. Seahwaks maybe.

Courtney Brown vs. Lavar Arrington was the big debate at the time.  We had, IIRC, 3 first rounders that year -- 2, 12, and 24.  We traded 12 and 24 for 3. At 2 we took Arrington and at 3 we took Samuels who turned out to be potential HOF'er.  That was a deeeep first round.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

Courtney Brown vs. Lavar Arrington was the big debate at the time.  We had, IIRC, 3 first rounders that year -- 2, 12, and 24.  We traded 12 and 24 for 3. At 2 we took Arrington and at 3 we took Samuels who turned out to be potential HOF'er.  That was a deeeep first round.

Comparable to Chase vs Simmons I guess. 

Imagine if we grabbed Brown instead of Arrington.

29 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Comparable to Chase vs Simmons I guess. 

Imagine if we grabbed Brown instead of Arrington.

Brown was injured early and often, and never amounted to much.  Imagine if we'd taken Brian Urlacher who went #9.

23 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Rumor is that Dan wanted to trade the second and third overall pick for the first overall just for ****s and giggles but someone was able to talk him out of it.

The real rumor that scared the dung out of us was that he wanted Peter Warrick.  Those AOL skins board days were LIT.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dark Acre said:

Brown was injured early and often, and never amounted to much.  Imagine if we'd taken Brian Urlacher who went #9.

The real rumor that scared the dung out of us was that he wanted Peter Warrick.  Those AOL skins board days were LIT.

Jesus, I was thinking of Miles Garrett and confusing hi with Courtney Brown  :ols:

13 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Imagine if we'd taken Samuel at 2 and just taken who was available at 12 and 24

Well, at 12 the Jets took Shaun Ellis.  Then they took John Abraham with the next pick.  Either of those guys probably would have been better than Lavar, as it turns out.  

#8 Was Plaxico Burress and #9 was Brian Ulracher.  Always makes my stomach turn. It would be massive revisionist history to say we should have drafted Ulracher, and if we had stayed at 12, we would not have gotten him.  But man .... Lavar is so disappointing in so many ways.  

At 24, SF took Ahmed Plummer, who only lasted 6 seasons.  Keith Bullock, who went #30 and played for 10 years probably was the best of the players in that part of the draft.  But none really were great.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Coming out of the draft I think we were mostly happy with Arrington for a season or two, the problem was there was a certain point where a flashy athletic play can't be followed up by a lack of discipline, allowing a RB an easy lane because you want to play on "instincts."  I remember a MNF game against Miami when Ricky Williams was still there and the commentators were getting into the Arrington vs Williams matchup and right on que he makes a big stop for no gain (maybe even a loss) and yet the very next play when Williams rushes the ball, Arrington is simply not even where he was supposed to be and Williams scampers untouched at least into the secondary.   That was Arrington for the most part, until Marvin Lewis decided that even "stars" need to be coached up, and he put Lavar down in a 3-point stance.