Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

On 7/31/2022 at 8:20 PM, NoVaSkins21 said:

It sucks that Chase is going to start the season on the PUP list, but I'd rather have him back at 100% and productive instead of 70% in Week 1 not, impactful and risking further injury

I just want to clarify we don't know what list, if any, Chase is going to start the year on.  Ron just said he would miss the opener.  There are 3 options:

- He never comes off of PUP during training camp, which means he can not practice at all with the team, and then is moved directly to the in-season PUP.

- He is taken off the PUP list towards the end of camp so he can practice.  But he's not ready for the season, but will return in 2-3 games.  In this scenario he would probably just stay on the active roster but be a game day inactive.

- He is taken off the PUP list towards the end of camp so he can practice.  However, he's not going to be able to play for 4+ games, so they have to put him on the initial 53 man roster.  Then they would put him on IR, and bring him back whenever they want him back. ** In order to do this, they would have to have an initial 53 man roster spot for him, which probably means releasing an additional player, and then re-signing that player to the 53 man roster after Chase hits IR.  This is dangerous because that player might have to clear waivers, and might be scooped up.  

I actually am leading to either options 1 or 2, but option 3 is also a possibility as well.  

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 7:41 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

He never comes off of PUP during training camp, which means he can not practice at all with the team, and then is moved directly to the in-season PUP.

I saw him working out and read about his rehab. He's had no setbacks and is squatting heavy weight since June. He's not wearing a brace or sleeve which points towards a focus on strengthening. He's a freak athlete. I've trained some freaks and would never believe what I saw them do.

If I had to guess, I'd say he starts on the PUP and plays week 5 or 6 at the latest. There's a athletic freak asterisk that could have him come off the PUP and start practicing and be inactive for the first couple of games but I think they'll hold him back.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting interview on The Kevin Sheehan Show podcast today.  He interviewed a sports doctor (Dr. Jesse Morse) that is also heavily into FF which helps him make predictions as to how bad a player is injured and when he might be available again.

https://thekevinsheehanshow.com/category/podcast/

Couple things of interest:

1. CY having both a patella and ACL injury is very rare and is almost physically impossible to occur as the type of torque it takes to snap a ACL is not the same as what it takes to rupture a patella tendon

2. The guest hypothesized that CY was dealing with possibly a partial patella tear earlier in the season which the player was trying to play through (which might explain why CY had a bad year before the injury) and that the injury that cause the ACL tear might have been enough to cause the petalla tendon to completely rupture

3. The guest indicated that dealing with both injuries is complicated and that more than likely the patella tendon was fixed first (which would cause his leg to be immobilized for 4-6 weeks) and then the ACL was repaired

4. The guest didn't think that CY could come back until November and if the season is not going well the WCs might decide to just have him sit out the whole season and get his knee as strong as possible before having him become fully activated.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumb down 1

22 hours ago, smithmal said:

Interesting interview on The Kevin Sheehan Show podcast today.  He interviewed a sports doctor (Dr. Jesse Morse) that is also heavily into FF which helps him make predictions as to how bad a player is injured and when he might be available again.

1. CY having both a patella and ACL injury is very rare and is almost physically impossible to occur as the type of torque it takes to snap a ACL is not the same as what it takes to rupture a patella tendon

2. The guest hypothesized that CY was dealing with possibly a partial patella tear earlier in the season which the player was trying to play through (which might explain why CY had a bad year before the injury) and that the injury that cause the ACL tear might have been enough to cause the petalla tendon to completely rupture

3. The guest indicated that dealing with both injuries is complicated and that more than likely the patella tendon was fixed first (which would cause his leg to be immobilized for 4-6 weeks) and then the ACL was repaired

4. The guest didn't think that CY could come back until November and if the season is not going well the WCs might decide to just have him sit out the whole season and get his knee as strong as possible before having him become fully activated.

Nothing to add, just very much appreciate the write-up!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes people underrate the severity of an injury and the time it takes not only for the rehab itself, but what it actually takes for the player to be back to 100%.  I'll go on record right now in saying that it sounds like the injury was severe enough that not only did it take away most of Young's 2021 season, but I think however much he does play in 2022 it is going to be mainly about the mental strength of trusting his body again.  Players rarely return from these kinds of injuries and don't see a bit of a drop off in performance for a little while as they work their way back.  If Chase does return with say half the season left I hope the coaches make it clear to him that there isn't pressure on him to be *the guy* yet.  Just get comfortable, work your way back and let beast mode come when ready.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

My prediction is he comes back around mid to late October and after another slow ish start sacks wise, has a red hot December to close out the season.

I just want to make sure he comes back 100%. Don't want to ruin him just to get him in a game or two early.

(too be clear - that's not what I'm implying you're suggesting, just a thought that came to my mind when reading about an Oct return timetable) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Chase aggravated his acl injury by participating in Von Miller’s pash rushing camp.

The Washington Commanders and several of the local beat reporters  including JP Finaly have flatly refuted this story, and say it's completely untrue.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 2:34 AM, smithmal said:

This is not true.

Chase never injured the patellar tendon in his other knee. They used a piece of the tendon (graft) to repair his ACL in the other knee. He never had injuries in both knees.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TheShredder said:

This is not true.

Chase never injured the patellar tendon in his other knee. They used a piece of the tendon (graft) to repair his ACL in the other knee. He never had injuries in both knees.

I never said that CY injured his PT in his other knee.  He injured his PT in the same knee that he injured his ACL which is why his injury is considered complex and will most likely cause addtional delay in returning to action. 

According to the interview info doctors needed to first repair his PT and then later repair his ACL which delayed the ACL repair by up to 6 weeks.  It also necessitated that his injured knee remain in a cast for 6 weeks after the PT surgery which is problematic as ACL recovery requires you to start to articulate your knee almost immediately after the surgery to reduce scar tissue build up.  

End result is that CY is going to have a much harder time getting back on the field vs. an athlete that has a "standard" ACL injury.  I'm not sure if doctors did take part of his PT from his other knee to repair his injured knee, but if so that suggests that both knees required physical therapy making rehab even more difficult for CY.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...