Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I agree, the jury is still out, 100%.  And yeah, it's not like we've drafted amazing talent in the first round...

I'll also say that I don't expect him to dominate from Week 1 coming back.  What I want to see is a steady progression in production across the season.  I think we'll have a much better idea of who he is once we get to the end of the season.  

I wanna see all 4 of them acting like Reggie White and when they don't I'll complain like a baby in the GD thread, but we're not there yet and it was a growth year for all of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wanna see all 4 of them acting like Reggie White and when they don't I'll complain like a baby in the GD thread, but we're not there yet and it was a growth year for all of us.

I dunno if it was a growth year, my friend.  I'm tired of growth years.  Time to start winning for once.  Like, actual back to back seasons of winning.   

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

2015 & 2016...

Sure a 8-7-1 standing is a b2b "winning' season...but we didn't do anything. I want success like 49ers and seahawks had. Steelers. Pats...etc. let's put this in perspective. The 49ers had Harbaugh who went to sb and few championship games in his short tenure. They endured a mass spree of retirings shortly after of prime foundation players and had to rebuild. They then has now gone to the championship game since then. When's last time we been to playoffs back to back? That's a winning season. Spare me a plus 500 season by the thread of a needle. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I dunno if it was a growth year, my friend.  I'm tired of growth years.  Time to start winning for once.  Like, actual back to back seasons of winning.   

We've been in a "growth year" for the past 30.  We should be exiting the upper atmosphere here soon and reaching outer space in a year or two.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Sure a 8-7-1 standing is a b2b "winning' season...but we didn't do anything. I want success like 49ers and seahawks had. Steelers. Pats...etc. let's put this in perspective. The 49ers had Harbaugh who went to sb and few championship games in his short tenure. They endured a mass spree of retirings shortly after of prime foundation players and had to rebuild. They then has now gone to the championship game since then. When's last time we been to playoffs back to back? That's a winning season. Spare me a plus 500 season by the thread of a needle. 

I mean yeah that's what everyone wants. But in order to move a mountain you start by carrying away small stones.

1 hour ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Hasn't that been the case for the last 20 plus years? 

Yes. But everytime you hire a new coach you're basically starting over.

Look, everyone here is frustrated and wants to start winning, but you can't expect a Super Bowl contender overnight after years of dysfunction and chaos.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Look, everyone here is frustrated and wants to start winning, but you can't expect a Super Bowl contender overnight after years of dysfunction and chaos.

Why not?!? :kickcan:

Honestly, I don't know what to expect this year. How long do we think it will take Wentz to acclimate and get up to speed? Will Jackson and the D get their act together? Who comes back healthy and productive?

I can imagine a scenario where all we were really missing was a bit of health and a QB and Wentz playing merely above average shoots us to an easy 11 wins. I can imagine a scenario where we're struggling to get 6 because Wentz is a bad fit, the D and D play calling is as bad as it was for much of last year, and the reassembled o line can't hold up.. 

53 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

But is this true? McVay went to the playoffs his first year after the previous coach was fired (Jeff Fisher lol). I can't recall the other examples anymore, but I'm positive we've had this discussion for about 15-20 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghost of said:

But is this true? McVay went to the playoffs his first year after the previous coach was fired (Jeff Fisher lol). I can't recall the other examples anymore, but I'm positive we've had this discussion for about 15-20 years.

The Rams had a lot more talent when McVay got there. They had invested top draft picks in guys like Goff, Donald, and Gurley among others.

Most new coaches don't win right away unless they go to a team that's already relatively loaded.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The Rams had a lot more talent when McVay got there. They had invested top draft picks in guys like Goff, Donald, and Gurley among others.

Most new coaches don't win right away unless they go to a team that's already relatively loaded.

This is true but...one of the things Ron highlighted as this being such an attractive job in his first ever presser was the fact that we had such good, young talent.  He was adamant about this and the fact that he nor Snyder has the patience for a 5 year rebuild.  Now, slyly, as things have not really improved, Ron has been talking more and more over the last year about a rebuild and how that takes patience and time.  He keeps harping on 3-5 years for this.  Quite a turnaround.  But that's what Ron does and he does it often. 

13 minutes ago, Redwards said:

This is true but...one of the things Ron highlighted as this being such an attractive job in his first ever presser was the fact that we had such good, young talent.  He was adamant about this and the fact that he nor Snyder has the patience for a 5 year rebuild.  Now, slyly, as things have not really improved, Ron has been talking more and more over the last year about a rebuild and how that takes patience and time.  He keeps harping on 3-5 years for this.  Quite a turnaround.  But that's what Ron does and he does it often. 

Need a QB. The other positions pretty much don't matter until you get one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Need a QB. The other positions pretty much don't matter until you get one.

Goff led the rams to the super bowl. He also is not a great qb. Kap led the 49ers to a super bowl...he's not that great of a qb. Eli won 2 rings and we all know he's not that great of a qb. We've been in the mud for over 20 years still stuck here. The qb fixing everything isn't the end all be all answer. Yeah it makes it easier but them 49er defenses were hof esque..same with seahawks. Why is it that our defense can't be anywhere remotely close to that level? We've drafted heavy into our defense to be just as bad as day 1 4-5 years ago. Granted we had the 2019 defense that was top 5ish after Landon went down. But prior before and after we reverted RIGHT back to where we usually are. Happens EVERY time. When the hell are we gonna be able to enjoy and endure some consecutive years of actual successful seasons and play? 

• Like 3

On 4/25/2022 at 12:14 PM, Ghost of said:

Bengals in two seasons went from a 2 win team to the Super Bowl, I'm tired of hearing this nonsense as well.  Could be anyone, except us 😒

On 4/25/2022 at 5:41 PM, Anselmheifer said:

Ummm…I keep thinking there is gonna be CY news. Nothing about Chase in about the last 20 posts in the CY thread. 

No news is not good news...I don't expect him week 1 at this rate, otherwise we would've heard something by now.  Not that I'm rushing, that jus appears apparent at this point now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is so ****ing weird to say about such a recent #2 overall “generational” prospect but I don’t even think about Young when I think about the team and it’s prospects. Not in a negative way, I’m not down on him necessary, I think it’s just a bizarre instance of cognitive dissonance where I know his ceiling and how important he is to our potential success as a defense/team…but simultaneously our defense and DL somehow performed better after he was out for the year, which makes no sense. So it’s almost like I don’t trust what he can bring to the table even though he should easily be one of the team’s unquestioned top 3 assets. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

This is so ****ing weird to say about such a recent #2 overall “generational” prospect but I don’t even think about Young when I think about the team and it’s prospects. Not in a negative way, I’m not down on him necessary, I think it’s just a bizarre instance of cognitive dissonance where I know his ceiling and how important he is to our potential success as a defense/team…but simultaneously our defense and DL somehow performed better after he was out for the year, which makes no sense. So it’s almost like I don’t trust what he can bring to the table even though he should easily be one of the team’s unquestioned top 3 assets. 

The bolded part has a bit of nuance to it. No doubt Chase wasn’t as impactful as any fan hoped last season, but the backend was an absolute mess (league worst type bad) to start the year. Once cohesion was established by the backend the defense became average to above for rest of season. 

I agree with your premise that Young doesn’t seem to have any real expectations coming into this season and almost an afterthought, which is maybe a testament to the overall roster and Ron. They seem hell bent on not relying on any one player at all, especially on defense—that seems to be Ron’s MO to the extreme. 

Jamin and Young both seem to be bonus type players this upcoming season. Contingency plans are in place for both, but opportunities are available for them to be impactful. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 3:20 PM, Conn said:

Yeah, it’s weird for sure.  I’m looking at Young and Sweat as “viable” DEs for us and anything more than that will essentially be a bonus.  
We should be excited for them to return instead, but that’s not where I’m at.  
I’ll add that a part of this feeling might stem from the idea that what really matters for this team is how Wentz performs.  

On 5/6/2022 at 3:33 PM, wit33 said:

The bolded part has a bit of nuance to it. No doubt Chase wasn’t as impactful as any fan hoped last season, but the backend was an absolute mess (league worst type bad) to start the year. Once cohesion was established by the backend the defense became average to above for rest of season. 

I agree with your premise that Young doesn’t seem to have any real expectations coming into this season and almost an afterthought, which is maybe a testament to the overall roster and Ron. They seem hell bent on not relying on any one player at all, especially on defense—that seems to be Ron’s MO to the extreme. 

Jamin and Young both seem to be bonus type players this upcoming season. Contingency plans are in place for both, but opportunities are available for them to be impactful. 

I agree that the shift/improvement in the secondary play was huge for the D.  Sure, our DEs sometimes rushed too wide, etc, but I think their issues or mistakes were somewhat overblown.  
There are just so many significant question marks on this team, and yet I also feel like we probably have one of the more talented rosters we’ve had in a long time.  

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 9:11 AM, skinny21 said:

I also feel like we probably have one of the more talented rosters we’ve had in a long time.  

This might actually be true......but it seems to me that quite a few posters believe this EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

This might actually be true......but it seems to me that quite a few posters believe this EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!!

Absolutely, haha.  As I’ve gotten older (and burned on this subject time after time), I’ve tempered these kinds of thoughts.  Plenty of room/avenues to failure with this group, but it certainly feels like there’s legitimate talent and depth.

Edited by skinny21