Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

@FootballZombie agree.  so Ron said he has “an awakening.”  Also alluded to the fact he thought he had arrived when he hadn’t.  

Hopefully this leads to significant maturity growth.  I think the knee will eventually be just fine. Maybe not on day 1, but sometime during the season.  

Its  the mental side which needed more fixing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dan T. said:

Dyslexia is no laughing matter.

For real. There used to be this dyslexic guy that came to our atheist conventions every year. He didn’t believe in dog. I also tried dating a dyslexic chick once but the 96 position is just awkward…

If you or a loved one is struggling with dyslexia, contact the DNA (National Dyslexia Association) for help.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

I was just getting high and watching Chase Young highlights. 99 was a bad dude as a rookie. I want that guy back this year.

I saw a tweet the other day talking about Nick Bosa and Chase. Year one Bosa 9 sacks Chase 7.5. Year 2 Bosa 0 sacks torn acl chase 1.5 sacks torn acl. Bosa year three off acl tear 15.5 sacks Chase? Personally I think Chase was trying to do too much which contributed to down sack numbers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I saw a tweet the other day talking about Nick Bosa and Chase. Year one Bosa 9 sacks Chase 7.5. Year 2 Bosa 0 sacks torn acl chase 1.5 sacks torn acl. Bosa year three off acl tear 15.5 sacks Chase? Personally I think Chase was trying to do too much which contributed to down sack numbers

Eh, Bosa only played in 1 or 2 game I think in 2020. Chase had 1.5 sacks in 9 games.

Honestly, when watching last season it looked like Tackles were ready for Chase's moves and he hadn't really worked on new ones or counters so he was pretty easily stonewalled because he was still mostly trying to use his athleticism. It looked like on 90% of pass rush snaps it was explode up out of his stance, stutter step, then try a side swipe.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Eh, Bosa only played in 1 or 2 game I think in 2020. Chase had 1.5 sacks in 9 games.

Honestly, when watching last season it looked like Tackles were ready for Chase's moves and he hadn't really worked on new ones or counters so he was pretty easily stonewalled because he was still mostly trying to use his athleticism. It looked like on 90% of pass rush snaps it was explode up out of his stance, stutter step, then try a side swipe.

Im mostly going on Rons comments a while back. I think its a little bit of a combination of both he was getting the extra attention while also trying to add pass rush moves to his game that was causing him to hesitate because hes having to think instead of just reacting and playing instinctually. That split second of thinking is the differnce between getting a pressure vs a sack.

https://richmond.com/sports/professional/he-tried-to-be-something-that-hes-not-chase-young-looks-to-rebound-in-third/article_70dad84f-6112-5274-ae00-9cd7ccac1d16.html

Rivera said he thought Young got away from the things that make him special, and that he communicated that during their offseason conversations. “I believe he’s learned to play to his strengths,” Rivera said. “I think last year he tried to be something that he’s not, in terms of his technique and style. “He’s a physical football player, and I’d love to see him get back to his physical style and not as much a finesse type of guy." 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/specific-area-where-ron-rivera-wants-see-chase-young-improve

"It's just one of those things that he gets a little extra attention with a chipper to his side or the protection turning towards him," Rivera said. "He's just going to have to continue to learn to continue to cope with it. But at the same time, he's also got to understand what his strengths are and really attack with those strengths because he can be such a disruptive player."  

More specifically, Rivera has noticed that Young occasionally stutters when he's rushing the quarterback, something the head coach wants No. 99 to avoid moving forward. "When he's playing vertical and getting through to his third step before he decides what he wants to do, I think he's a very disruptive football player. Sometimes, he has a little stutter in one of his moves," Rivera said. "And that, to me, is not what he does best. With the stutter, he has to stop, start, then go again. I'd much rather just see him go vertical because when he's moving he's a force and he is difficult to stop."

31 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Im mostly going on Rons comments a while back. I think its a little bit of a combination of both he was getting the extra attention while also trying to add pass rush moves to his game that was causing him to hesitate because hes having to think instead of just reacting and playing instinctually. That split second of thinking is the differnce between getting a pressure vs a sack.

https://richmond.com/sports/professional/he-tried-to-be-something-that-hes-not-chase-young-looks-to-rebound-in-third/article_70dad84f-6112-5274-ae00-9cd7ccac1d16.html

Rivera said he thought Young got away from the things that make him special, and that he communicated that during their offseason conversations. “I believe he’s learned to play to his strengths,” Rivera said. “I think last year he tried to be something that he’s not, in terms of his technique and style. “He’s a physical football player, and I’d love to see him get back to his physical style and not as much a finesse type of guy." 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/specific-area-where-ron-rivera-wants-see-chase-young-improve

"It's just one of those things that he gets a little extra attention with a chipper to his side or the protection turning towards him," Rivera said. "He's just going to have to continue to learn to continue to cope with it. But at the same time, he's also got to understand what his strengths are and really attack with those strengths because he can be such a disruptive player."  

More specifically, Rivera has noticed that Young occasionally stutters when he's rushing the quarterback, something the head coach wants No. 99 to avoid moving forward. "When he's playing vertical and getting through to his third step before he decides what he wants to do, I think he's a very disruptive football player. Sometimes, he has a little stutter in one of his moves," Rivera said. "And that, to me, is not what he does best. With the stutter, he has to stop, start, then go again. I'd much rather just see him go vertical because when he's moving he's a force and he is difficult to stop."

What's utterly alarming about these statements from Ron is that fact that he and the coaching staff were well aware of these issues and 100% failed to correct any aspect of them.  You read these statements and it definitely comes across as Ron hoping Chase improves and takes Ron's words to heart vs. putting onus on Chase AND himself and his coaching staff.  

Ron, you're not a spectator, dude.  You're the freaking coach.  It's up to you and your D staff to figure out how to correct these things.  It's completely unfair to Chase (and at this point, I'm certainly not a Chase Young fan) to put it all on him.    

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, mistertim said:

He would literally stand straight up out of his stance and engage in hand battles with linemen. He wasn’t doubled…. and TEs were blocking him cleanly. It was downright F’n embarrassing how he showed up last year. 

Coming off an ACL injury no less, he can’t afford another season like last. Year 3 now.

He has a lot of leverage to show up this year…. but I can’t say I feel confident about him at this point. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

He would literally stand straight up out of his stance and engage in hand battles with linemen. He wasn’t doubled…. and TEs were blocking him cleanly. It was downright F’n embarrassing how he showed up last year. 

Coming off an ACL injury no less, he can’t afford another season like last. Year 3 now.

He has a lot of leverage to show up this year…. but I can’t say I feel confident about him at this point. 

Yeah, and that reminds of me of watching some clips from camp last year.

One of the things I noticed about Chase in college and that he did his rookie year was getting too upright too fast from his stance. It gave OTs too much of a target. He got away with it in college and to a certain extent in his rookie season.

It was something I hoped he'd be working on after his rookie year...staying lower in his pad so he didn't get OTs as much of a target for punches and redirects. But in that clip I saw him doing the exact same thing...exploding upright immediately out of his stance. It worried me because it made me wonder if he did any technique work during the offseason as opposed to purely physical training (and doing commercials).

But it seems he didn't because IMO that's one of the reasons OTs were able to handle him easier. He comes up out of his stance very upright and then stutter steps, which just gives the Tackle extra time, and then tries to hand fight, but the OT was ready for that and handled him pretty easily.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Redwards said:

What's utterly alarming about these statements from Ron is that fact that he and the coaching staff were well aware of these issues and 100% failed to correct any aspect of them.  You read these statements and it definitely comes across as Ron hoping Chase improves and takes Ron's words to heart vs. putting onus on Chase AND himself and his coaching staff.  

Ron, you're not a spectator, dude.  You're the freaking coach.  It's up to you and your D staff to figure out how to correct these things.  It's completely unfair to Chase (and at this point, I'm certainly not a Chase Young fan) to put it all on him.    

God. This thread is such an old lady stitch n ****.  

Yes, Chase struggled in his 2nd year. But you guys think Ron was just sitting on his thumbs? Or that JDR doesn’t know how to coach pass rushers? Ask Von Miller and Khalil Mack.

Ron was being as direct as he could while being polite in an interview. It’s not good coaching to be threading players under the bus publicly. 

Edited by Anselmheifer
  • Like 5

I don't think the coaching is the issue. We had backups who were like 7th rounders/UDFA types come in and right away rack up sacks. I think Young's direct backup Smith Williams or whatever his name is matched his total sack output in his first game playing.

Young just focused too much on his physical strength/speed stuff and not enough on technique. Good learning experience. I still have high hopes for him but if he has another below 10 sack season we have to start asking questions we may not want the answers to.

20 minutes ago, MrJL said:

He had two taken away off by bs roughing penalties

I mean, sure if you want to go that route. But every pass rusher has that happen to him. His production was still pretty abysmal, especially for someone with such high expectations. 

7 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

God. This thread is such an old lady stitch n ****.  

Yes, Chase struggled in his 2nd year. But you guys think Ron was just sitting on his thumbs? Or that JDR doesn’t know how to coach pass rushers? Ask Von Miller and Khalil Mack.

Ron was being as direct as he could while being polite in an interview. It’s not good coaching to be threading players under the bus publicly. 

Understood.  And you make a good point.  And no, I don't believe Ron is simply a spectator - that's just how he came across.  

But...Ron and his vaunted staff didn't get anything corrected last year.  So...they're not dumb, just, to date, incompetent on this major issue. That is alarming.  I hope that changes.  This staff has to get better, too.  Not just the players, IMHO.

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think the coaching is the issue. We had backups who were like 7th rounders/UDFA types come in and right away rack up sacks. I think Young's direct backup Smith Williams or whatever his name is matched his total sack output in his first game playing.

Young just focused too much on his physical strength/speed stuff and not enough on technique. Good learning experience. I still have high hopes for him but if he has another below 10 sack season we have to start asking questions we may not want the answers to.

I hope to heck I'm wrong as rain on this, but my gut has always told me that Chase Young is going to wind up one of those Kirk Cousin type players: the kind of guy who flirts with being super echelon but never quite reaches it, yet has fellow players, coaches and fans making excuses for him year after year.  We simply cannot afford for a pick as high as he was to wind up in this boat.  

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 7:17 PM, Redwards said:

Understood.  And you make a good point.  And no, I don't believe Ron is simply a spectator - that's just how he came across.  

But...Ron and his vaunted staff didn't get anything corrected last year.  So...they're not dumb, just, to date, incompetent on this major issue. That is alarming.  I hope that changes.  This staff has to get better, too.  Not just the players, IMHO.

I hope to heck I'm wrong as rain on this, but my gut has always told me that Chase Young is going to wind up one of those Kirk Cousin type players: the kind of guy who flirts with being super echelon but never quite reaches it, yet has fellow players, coaches and fans making excuses for him year after year.  We simply cannot afford for a pick as high as he was to wind up in this boat.  

Didn't Sweat and Young skip voluntary stuff and train together last year?  Was some of the getting away from what worked because they developed while training away from coaches?  

On 4/21/2022 at 10:50 AM, Die Hard said:

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, last year was disappointing all over. Chase sucked after looking super human. 

We won 7 games with no defense or QB, so let's see what happens this year, but you people crucifying Chase after one **** year are awful.

He didn't look good last year.  I'm not trying to crucify him, but it needs to be addressed for what it was before he got hurt...which was unimpressive play.  Although some advanced stats said, IIRC, that he was good against the run.  Which is fine, but a player isn't drafted that high to stuff the run, especially when it's predominantly a passing league.  We should all agree that the Commies drafted Chase Young to get after the quarterback.

All I'm going to say on this subject is that you want to see a truly elite talent at least maintain the same level of play from Year 1 to Year 2.  Now I know stats don't always tell the entire story, but I do believe they tell a large part of it.  

In my lifetime, I can think of some truly dominant defensive linemen that broke the mold; Reggie White who went from 13 to 18 sacks in his first two years (although he played more games in Year 2), Bruce Smith who went from 6.5 to 15 sacks in his first two years, JJ Watt who went from 5.5 to 20.5...I could go on.  

I mean, those are the types of guys that I'd like to see Chase Young be mentioned with.  We'd all want to see him be mentioned with guys like that.

So...he's got a lot of work to do. He's gotta come back from an ACL which is no small feat and then he's got to improve his play on top of that.  It's a lot to ask for.  I remain a bit skeptical because they're two rather monumental tasks...making up for his uninspiring play last year was a big enough task as it was.

But hey, I'm rooting for him to do it.  I'd love to see him do it.  I don't get any joy in pointing out his uninspiring, unproductive play from last year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

He didn't look good last year.  I'm not trying to crucify him, but it needs to be addressed for what it was before he got hurt...which was unimpressive play.  Although some advanced stats said, IIRC, that he was good against the run.  Which is fine, but a player isn't drafted that high to stuff the run, especially when it's predominantly a passing league.  We should all agree that the Commies drafted Chase Young to get after the quarterback.

All I'm going to say on this subject is that you want to see a truly elite talent at least maintain the same level of play from Year 1 to Year 2.  Now I know stats don't always tell the entire story, but I do believe they tell a large part of it.  

In my lifetime, I can think of some truly dominant defensive linemen that broke the mold; Reggie White who went from 13 to 18 sacks in his first two years (although he played more games in Year 2), Bruce Smith who went from 6.5 to 15 sacks in his first two years, JJ Watt who went from 5.5 to 20.5...I could go on.  

I mean, those are the types of guys that I'd like to see Chase Young be mentioned with.  We'd all want to see him be mentioned with guys like that.

So...he's got a lot of work to do. He's gotta come back from an ACL which is no small feat and then he's got to improve his play on top of that.  It's a lot to ask for.  I remain a bit skeptical because they're two rather monumental tasks...making up for his uninspiring play last year was a big enough task as it was.

But hey, I'm rooting for him to do it.  I'd love to see him do it.  I don't get any joy in pointing out his uninspiring, unproductive play from last year. 

So, maybe he isn't Reggie White. Go figure. Maybe he's Courtney Brown. Who knows. Our QB went down game one last year and we stunk right away and everything went wrong..

If it happens again and he sucks this year, I'll say I was wrong about him, but I'll give him another year. It ain't like were use to 1rst rounders popping off onto HoF careers around here.  :ols:

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, maybe he isn't Reggie White. Go figure. Maybe he's Courtney Brown. Who knows. Our QB went down game one last year and we stunk right away and everything went wrong..

If it happens again and he sucks this year, I'll say I was wrong about him, but I'll give him another year. It ain't like were use to 1rst rounders popping off onto HoF careers around here.  :ols:

I agree, the jury is still out, 100%.  And yeah, it's not like we've drafted amazing talent in the first round...

I'll also say that I don't expect him to dominate from Week 1 coming back.  What I want to see is a steady progression in production across the season.  I think we'll have a much better idea of who he is once we get to the end of the season.  

• Like 1