Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

My expectations for Chase have dropped. I'm watching other young pass rushers use more techniques and learn more moves than he has so far in his career. There was a small group whispering that he was too reliant on his athleticism when he was drafted. I ignored them, but so far, Chase hasn't proven to be a student of the game. Now that he's coming back from injury, and likely lost some athleticism, he absolutely has to learn the mental aspect of being an edge rusher. If he can't learn to set up moves, vary his rush, and play the mental part of the game, he won't reach anywhere near the original expectations we had for him. It will boil down to how much he's learned. We will see.

Edited by IrepDC
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

If I'm the Defensive Coordinator, I'm giving Chase and Montez homework every week identifying what they see from the Tackles they'll be facing, and what's their plan of attack. What move will be there go to and what move will be the counter to keep the T honest. Every week. They have to become students of the game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

If I'm the Defensive Coordinator, I'm giving Chase and Montez homework every week identifying what they see from the Tackles they'll be facing, and what's their plan of attack. What move will be there go to and what move will be the counter to keep the T honest. Every week. They have to become students of the game.

I’m sure they do. The real question is are the coaches providing the right guidance and tips?

2 hours ago, IrepDC said:

Sadly you’re not the DC, and jack del rio is, alas, no homework :( 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Sadly you’re not the DC, and jack del rio is, alas, no homework :( 

I'm not sure JDR has the ears of his players anymore. A lot of what I see on GameDay has me questioning what he is drilling during the week. He knows the game, but he may not be a leader of men. 

• Like 1

One reason I have hope for Chase when he returns is because Allen/Payne have been balling and are starting to realize the potential as a team of interior lineman versus just two good lineman.  I think those two are playing at a higher and more consistent level than they were when Chase got injured.

• Like 1

We have no idea how Chase will perform once back from injury.   I think it's fair to assume he suffered a significant setback in his development because of it and it's possible he will either take longer to reach potential or will never reach his full potential because of it.    I'd be surprised if he actually improved immediately once back.  

• Like 2

I have zero expectations for Chase this year.  That's not a knock on him so much as just expectations from him returning from such a bad injury.  

I wasn't surprised when he sucked last year because I never bought into the Chase Young hype, especially after the way he went total diva in the offseason.  However, that doesn't mean I am necessarily right in my low expectations for him.

I think the press needs to take his injury into account and not ride him for most of this year.  Allow him to simply come back on the field, get true, live football reps and especially give him at the time to regain true confidence in his knee.  That last part is something that isn't treated with nearly enough respect in this league.  It's a total mental thing that either comes back or doesn't, and it absolutely will limit the player if it doesn't come back.

What I want to see out of Chase this year is a humble attitude and evidence (as we enter the last month and a half of the schedule) the he's able to start applying new moves.  I want evidence during that portion of the season that the young man is growing and learning.  I want legit confidence going into Year 4 of Chase Young that he is going to be the player we thought we were getting when we drafted him.  Let's be real: Chase Young becoming a "good, solid player" isn't nearly good enough.  That's a failure of a draft pick right there.  

But the media needs to give him a legit reprieve this year (as long as he's showing signs of true growth).  Next year, however, is an entirely different set of expectations.  Next year he better be at the level he was playing in the second half of his rookie year.  If not, Chase is a bust.

I'm hoping that Chase has a natural enough "want-to" in him to propel him to that status.  I'm also hoping Chase is taking note of how Micha Parsons has totally usurped Chase being the talk of the division from a defensive standpoint.  Chase was the darling for one season.  Micha has grabbed all that and run away with it like a thief in the night.  Chase needs to take that to heart and go nuts (in a good way, working with his teammates on the field, not in a reckless, playing on an island way like he did last year).

The other guy I'm watching like a hawk is Sweat.  He's a full season older than Chase and looks like just a "solid" player, which isn't nearly good enough.  This team has got to start producing more than one or two stars or we're going nowhere.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 1

Midseason?  Keim thinks it could be next week.

The Washington Commanders are expected to activate running back Brian Robinson off the team's reserve/non-football injury list early this week, sources say, paving the way for the rookie to return sooner rather than later.

While overall positive news, it doesn't necessarily mean Robinson will play in Week 5 against the Titans. There is also a chance Robinson practices this week but doesn't play, using it as a ramp-up period. He'll be evaluated at the end of the week to see his status.

Meanwhile, star pass rusher Chase Young, who is is currently on the reserve/physically unable to perform list while recovering from a torn ACL suffered during the 2021 season, is targeting a midseason return, sources say.

Robinson, the highly touted rookie who seemed in line to be the team's starting RB to open the season, is recovering from two gunshot wounds he suffered in late August. The Washington, D.C., Police Department said Robinson was the victim of an attempted armed robbery or carjacking.

Robinson was also fortunate as the two bullets went through his knee and missed all the major parts (ligaments, tendons, bone) and did not create massive damage. A source says Robinson's wounds have healed.

A third-round pick out of Alabama, Robinson did a simulated series this week with the strength and conditioning staff, mimicking what it will be like in an NFL game. He came out of it with positive reviews, sources said.

With Robinson recovering, Washington's starting RB this season has been Antonio Gibson, who's averaging just 3.1 yards per rush attempt.

Robinson's final check will be within the next 24 hours, which would clear him to be activated.

Follow Ian Rapoport on Twitter.

On 9/28/2022 at 11:42 PM, srtman04 said:

We have no idea how Chase will perform once back from injury.   I think it's fair to assume he suffered a significant setback in his development because of it and it's possible he will either take longer to reach potential or will never reach his full potential because of it.    I'd be surprised if he actually improved immediately once back.  

I think we're in for a needing the 5th year option to see whether he's worth extending.  Which seemed unfathomable after his rookie year.  Year 1 was excellent, year 2 was not, year 3 is a gonna be a wash.  So he's gonna come back next year 2 years removed from being any good.  And unless he dominates in year 4, they'll be trying to figure out what this dude really is as he comes up forca new deal.  

Edited by justice98
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I think we're in for a needing the 5th year option to see whether he's worth extending.  Which seemed unfathomable after his rookie year.  Year 1 was excellent, year 2 was not, year 3 is a gonna be a wash.  So he's gonna come back next year 2 years removed from being any good.  And unless he dominates in year 4, they'll be trying to figure out what this dude really is as he comes up forca new deal.  

They're going to have to pick up his 5th year option this next off-season (before his 4th year), which they will do.  Then they will hope against hope he is dominant in year 4 and extend him, throwing out the 5th year option.  

If he's dominant in year 4, they will extend him.  If he's not, they might not.  They could also play the franchise tag game and get 7 years out of him and then let him leave.  Which isn't what we want, but you also don't want to commit $150M to a damaged good "good" player.

Ron on Chase per his interview with JP on Monday.

Chase Young also eligible he's gonna stay on I think Chase a little bit longer away you know we're excited about it though because he's been progressing very well the doctors the trainers are all pleased with his progression so that's that's a huge plus for us so that's exciting and we'll see how his week goes and it'll be a week by week thing if it's a good week we'll see what the doctors say about the next step and if we're that close to giving him back on the field considering it was November 14th when he got hurt.

Edited by zCommander
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

I dont think he plays this week. Not with the bye week looming. Makes more sense to give him a couple more weeks honestly..

Is he ready or not? This is a  divisional game with the hopes of continuing a playoff run. But I agree...dont want him messing up the continuity of the line at this time. 

• Like 1