Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

35 minutes ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

I was lurking before I joined and even then I joined back in 2003, the nerve of some youngblood trying to insinuate I'd have a fake profile or that I'm even angry. Using a mocking name isn't angry. You talking about "Chase Hung" just seemed a little strange to me so I put it back on you.  Why would I be angry about Young and how is it obsessive or taking his struggles personally, I barely care about sports at all and only watch bits of games every blue moon.  

Were you on this board when we had Brunell limping around or Jason Candle? You don't remember people who were desperate for us to fire Jay Gruden (me being one of them)? You think this is angry, you wouldn't have survived back then, if you think this is anger or even remotely obsessive. 

Fricking Boomers…

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

Both of our backup DEs have basically already matched Young's sack production for the season.

I still like Young's talent moving forward but I don't think it can be understated how unproductive he was as a pass rusher. And its worse considering how good our interior push has been all year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

I was lurking before I joined and even then I joined back in 2003, the nerve of some youngblood trying to insinuate I'd have a fake profile or that I'm even angry. Using a mocking name isn't angry. You talking about "Chase Hung" just seemed a little strange to me so I put it back on you.  Why would I be angry about Young and how is it obsessive or taking his struggles personally, I barely care about sports at all and only watch bits of games every blue moon.  

Were you on this board when we had Brunell limping around or Jason Candle? You don't remember people who were desperate for us to fire Jay Gruden (me being one of them)? You think this is angry, you wouldn't have survived back then, if you think this is anger or even remotely obsessive. 

In my day Nickelback meant a rock band and Brad Johnson was a DC god. For one season.

• Like 1

Put me on side that the replacements aren’t doing much at all other than being jags. Improvements on defense were already materializing with Young and Sweat playing. 

Playoff appearances:

Young 1

Herbert 0

Edited by wit33
  • Like 4

It seems like everybody is picking on Young.  I doubt Toney is getting double teams and game planned around as much as Chase Young.   Chase Young's win rate was above average and his PFF grade for this year was above average.  He was very good against the run and slightly above average as a pass rusher.    At this point Young is not an elite polayer, but don't overreact to the point that we think he is not good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

It seems like everybody is picking on Young.  I doubt Toney is getting double teams and game planned around as much as Chase Young.   Chase Young's win rate was above average and his PFF grade for this year was above average.  He was very good against the run and slightly above average as a pass rusher.    At this point Young is not an elite polayer, but don't overreact to the point that we think he is not good.

The "Young gets doubled constantly" narrative is so overblown. Go back and actually watch, he was rarely straight up double teamed. He got chipped occasionally, but he also was at times blocked one on one by TEs(i.e. Rudolph in the Giants game, I believe Kelce also in the Chiefs game).

People keep spouting pass rush win rate and all that, and that's great and all, but he was drafted high to put the QB into the ground and kill plays, not get close to the QB only to have him just step away and deliver a 15 yard strike because you'd rather run a circle 10 yards around him.

But yeah he's a good run stopper. That's awesome we drafted Phillip Daniels with the #2 pick.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

It's completely fair to be piling on Young. He deserves it.

It's not his talent that is the issue. He is not a student of the game. Like many young men, his priorities don't look to be in the right place. In other words, he's no Terry McLaurin. 

We've seen the stats about double teams and win rate, and Chase isn't in the quadrant you'd like him to be. I guess I could find who/where it was posted in this thread. Either way, the narrative of constantly doubled/gameplanned against doesn't hold up by the numbers. 

Right now, we have 7th rounders ≥ generational prospect. 

That is beyond brutal for the team/fanbase. 

The expectation was for Chase to do what JJ Watt did when he entered the league, or heck TJ Watt for the Steelers. By the second year, he should be 'arguably' the best DE in the league based on his physical tools.

That was the hype. That was the reason he was reported to be the 'easiest pick in the draft'.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

This season is going to be a massive setback in Chase's career. Not only was he completely underwhelming, he also had a season ending injury. 

So basically Chase has to work back to where he was before, which wasn't an effective pass rusher to begin with. Lots of development time lost. 

I was completely on board with this pick but now I've almost done a complete 180 on how I feel about him and stunned by how his season turned out. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2021 at 9:07 PM, Warhead36 said:

The "Young gets doubled constantly" narrative is so overblown. Go back and actually watch, he was rarely straight up double teamed. He got chipped occasionally, but he also was at times blocked one on one by TEs(i.e. Rudolph in the Giants game, I believe Kelce also in the Chiefs game).

People keep spouting pass rush win rate and all that, and that's great and all, but he was drafted high to put the QB into the ground and kill plays, not get close to the QB only to have him just step away and deliver a 15 yard strike because you'd rather run a circle 10 yards around him.

But yeah he's a good run stopper. That's awesome we drafted Phillip Daniels with the #2 pick.

Yeah, I agree.  The advanced metrics are nice and all but whatever.  He wasn't an impact player this year.  And yes, constantly chipped to the outside.  

22 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

They drafted the next LT and didn't even need a top 10 pick.

We drafted Kenard Lang at #2.

Yeah, Parsons...I don't want to say he's the next LT because there's only one.  But goddamn, he's a monster.  Plays win an intensity and ferocity, is smart and is of course a physical freak.

Parsons should be the runaway DROY, he's also got a case for DPOY...which would put him in LT company.  LT's the only one to ever do that.  

I got into it with someone on twitter the other day about this, comping Young to Parsons, he brought up the positional differences and I said it doesn't matter.  Both were drafted to be game wreckers and to terrorize quarterbacks.  Parsons is doing that, Young hasn't done that since last season.

I hate to admit it, but Parsons is a blast to watch play and I'm jealous that Dallas got him.

11 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

This season is going to be a massive setback in Chase's career. Not only was he completely underwhelming, he also had a season ending injury. 

So basically Chase has to work back to where he was before, which wasn't an effective pass rusher to begin with. Lots of development time lost. 

I was completely on board with this pick but now I've almost done a complete 180 on how I feel about him and stunned by how his season turned out. 

I was on board with the pick, too.  I've not done a 180 yet.  But as you've pointed out, he's got a long, long way to go to get back.  I'm not writing him off just yet but I'm also not getting my hopes up that he'll be anything more than a decent player.

Someone drafted at #2 should be a game changer.  Not, as WarHead36 pointed out, Kenard Lang or Phillip Daniels.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I got into it with someone on twitter the other day about this, comping Young to Parsons, he brought up the positional differences and I said it doesn't matter.  Both were drafted to be game wreckers and to terrorize quarterbacks.  Parsons is doing that, Young hasn't done that since last season.

Parsons is a rookie wanting to show he belongs in the NFL.

Much like Chase wanted to do in his rookie season.

It's also very possible that Parsons, in his second year next season, could suffer the same sophomore slump as Young, distracted be the money, fame, and hype.

He gets DROY and starts getting offers around Texas and the country, we'll see if he stays focused on football, or is more interested in building his brand.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

Forgive me, but isn’t Parsons supposed to be a sideline-to-sideline linebacker, not a DE? 

He has played mainly at DE now since Lawrence went out, Lawrence was back against NO but Parsons can line up anywhere. He’s a freak, 10 sacks in 12 games 

On 11/30/2021 at 9:07 PM, Warhead36 said:

This is exactly how I feel. I watched Chase basically every snap, the claim that he is constantly double teamed is nonsense.  I also agree on the  "win rate".  We all saw the games and he was no getting close enough to make a play so this "win rate" is nonsense to me.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

One damn win we just had to have. Burrow is in the Super Bowl, Chase Dung is in the toilet bowl. Keep in mind Burrow tore up his knee. 

Has there been as big a drop off between 1 and 2? 

Manning/Leaf

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

One damn win we just had to have. Burrow is in the Super Bowl, Chase Dung is in the toilet bowl. Keep in mind Burrow tore up his knee. 

My favorite is still how people tried to say Haskins was better than Burrow... 🤣

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

yeah I'll never, ever be in the "wanting to tank makes you a bad fan" camp.

Bengals are in the Super Bowl.  We are still bad.  Cardinals dropped off, but they were top of the league until around Week 11?  Chargers seem to be on the way up.  

The goal is to win the Super Bowl, not get closer-ish.

I will admit that us winning the division at 7-9 was amazing and I loved it and the playoff game, but god damn, if we were 6-10 we would've had Jones or Fields available. :(

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1