Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Amazing to see how Bill Callahan has effected Haskins game logs. I'm pretty sure this is the first time Haskins has logged more than 37 pass attempts in a game. Given today league, that is pretty remarkable. Not surprising he surpasses 300 yds w/ a career high in attempts either.

I don't think Haskins needs to have great games. He just can't be the reason his team loses. He was not the reason we lost this week so I expect him to chug along.

71 % comp percentage is great. 6.9 yd avg is meh but not terrible.

That red zone sack might have been the worst sack of his career tho. Uggo.

But we saw honest to God touch on that late meaningless pass to Turbo. Positive progression

7 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Amazing to see how Bill Callahan has effected Haskins game logs. I'm pretty sure this is the first time Haskins has logged more than 37 pass attempts in a game. Given today league, that is pretty remarkable. Not surprising he surpasses 300 yds w/ a career high in attempts either.

I don't think Haskins needs to have great games. He just can't be the reason his team loses. He was not the reason we lost this week so I expect him to chug along.

71 % comp percentage is great. 6.9 yd avg is meh but not terrible.

That red zone sack might have been the worst sack of his career tho. Uggo.

But we saw honest to God touch on that late meaningless pass to Turbo. Positive progression

The whole game was screens and crossers!  He’s not proven he can hit anything down the field in a consistent basis.  John Beck would have had the same competition percentage today!

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

The whole game was screens and crossers!  He’s not proven he can hit anything down the field in a consistent basis.  John Beck would have had the same competition percentage today!

but that’s not on him. he’s running the plays called? dafuq

Just now, mhd24 said:

I'll wait to see the avg air distance, but the pass yds avg is right around middle of the pack territory.  It beats being a Cap checkdown.

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Are you saying we should be running 5 to 7 step drops each play? The pressure was making it home in less than 2 seconds. It’s tough to evaluate the mid to deep passing game given our current roster.

If Turner could get a little more creative with his play calls, (like not calling a RB screen with 30 secs to go to the half and 1 time out on the 30) I think we’d see a little more. 

But everyone wanted him to stop the turnovers, go through his reads, take what’s available (checkdowns) and he did all that.

Its progress. Not regress. That’s important to see regardless if the jury is still out

5 minutes ago, mAshparie36 said:

If Turner could get a little more creative with his play calls, (like not calling a RB screen with 30 secs to go to the half and 1 time out on the 30) I think we’d see a little more. 

But everyone wanted him to stop the turnovers, go through his reads, take what’s available (checkdowns) and he did all that.

Its progress. Not regress. That’s important to see regardless if the jury is still out

True, I think he won the right to stay the starting QB because he played decent today.  But, his mobility and pocket awareness might be what actually cause him to lose the job.

It’s hard to open up the playbook when you have a qb throwing 4 yard outs on 4th and goal from the 13. If he’s not willing to take chances downfield then he’s simply not willing to take chances. Which is what it looked like all game. Even when he had protection he was checking down

Haskins lost guys and we didn’t have a chance to win that’s all we need to see enough with your BS analytics and excuses.  He’s not athletic either he can’t scramble when he needs to.  Ask yourself this cab he win us a super bowl?  That’s all you need to know. 

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I would imagine in Coach's eyes, that Haskins' stock stayed about the same as last week.

He didn't really rise, but probably didn't do enough to be benched either.

He will probably start next week. At the same time, it would not surprise me if Rivera decides he has seen enough of him, either.

Why wait then.

4 minutes ago, wtfskins said:

Haskins lost guys and we didn’t have a chance to win that’s all we need to see enough with your BS analytics and excuses.  He’s not athletic either he can’t scramble when he needs to.  Ask yourself this cab he win us a super bowl?  That’s all you need to know. 

LOL ok... If every QB was judged on this basis this early on in their careers, on a team like this... 🤦‍♂️

On 9/28/2020 at 10:02 PM, Califan007 said:

I would say Haskins needs more time more than Allen due to:

3 different head  coaches, including one who allegedly didn’t want him on the team

3 different offensive coordinators

3 different offensive schemes

Several games with nothing but rookie WRs—a rookie QB playing with 3 rookie WRS hadn’t happened in something like 40 years

No viable TE

Highly dysfunctional coaching staff

Even more dysfunctional front office

Franchise with a ton of off-field controversy and distractions

Zero continuity

Then on top of that:

No OTAs this year

No preseason games this year

Truncated training camp

Kyle Allen didn't have to experience even half of that.

None of that is why his mechanics are bad or why he stares down WRs. But it does play a role in how well and how quickly he starts to overcome flaws in his game.

It was widely said before the draft that whoever takes Haskins would be wise to let him sit for a year due to his lack of experience because he needed a lot of work and needed to be developed, but his potential ceiling was so high it would be worth taking a chance on him. Just as long as you were willing to develop him correctly because he wouldn’t be ready to start right away. You take a QB like that, and throw him into a chaotic, controversy-ridden, distraction-plagued dumpster fire--in the middle of a pandemic where he had to learn a new system over freaking ZOOM meetings lol—and yeah, I'd say he needs a bit more time.

I agree with all you have above. I just keep thinking though what of the above makes him miss a check down pass that's wide open? He makes the right read then over-throws him by 3 ft. I thought overall he had a decent game by this years standards. ANd I do not agree with benching him yet. But he does not inspire confidence. 

On 9/28/2020 at 10:21 PM, KDawg said:

Let me make it simpler: Why do we know what Allen can do, but we don’t know what Haskins is capable of?

I’d argue Allen is much more of a mystery at this point to us. Which is where I am. If anything we know who Haskins is. Not Allen.

This translates to Allen is a back-up and has been and Haskins is 1st rd pick. I am not saying I agree. If you get to a point that it's clear Haskins is not the guy, then I see no reason not to give Allen a legitimate shot at being the starter. It would not be the first time a QB has bounced around a little and then found a good fit. I agree it's rare, but he is on the roster. Why not give him a try. 

14 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Nice Alex Smith performance. Plenty of bad but he wasn’t terrible. 

It’s funny how different we see things. Every other week I’m saying give him more time he wasn’t that bad. This week I’m ready to bench him and here you go lol

13 minutes ago, wtfskins said:

Oh I would have started Allen this week I’m just saying what I think Ron will do based on his comments. Dwayne gives us almost no chance to win games and they dumbed the offense down so much to accommodate him that it was almost embarrassing. But I think Ron gives him another week because he didn’t look completely lost.

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I agree with all you have above. I just keep thinking though what of the above makes him miss a check down pass that's wide open? He makes the right read then over-throws him by 3 ft. I thought overall he had a decent game by this years standards. ANd I do not agree with benching him yet. But he does not inspire confidence. 

I hope you saw in that post that I said this:

"None of that is why his mechanics are bad or why he stares down WRs. But it does play a role in how well and how quickly he starts to overcome flaws in his game."

So none of the "above" in my post is why he has the flaws, but all of the above could be why he's not progressed passed his flaws yet. And notice I said "could be" and not "is" lol...

Just now, Califan007 said:

I hope you saw in that post that I said this:

"None of that is why his mechanics are bad or why he stares down WRs. But it does play a role in how well and how quickly he starts to overcome flaws in his game."

So none of the "above" in my post is why he ha the flaws, but all of the above could be why he's not progressed passed his flaws yet. And notice I said "could be" and not "is" lol...

Mine was just adding on, not to call your post out. I saw you said those things. Was just piling on. Should have probably said so at the beginning. 

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

It’s funny how different we see things. Every other week I’m saying give him more time he wasn’t that bad. This week I’m ready to bench him and here you go lol

Listen he wasn’t good at all lol. He just wasn’t terrible. I’m not encouraged and I don’t feel all that better about his long term prospects 

He needs to stop missing receivers who are only 2 yards away.  Even my 5 yr old daughter could make that.  And I don't think mechanics matters when a WR is so close.  It is just a headscratcher.  I am getting sick of Haskins missing the easy throws.  Now, he did better than last week, but these overthrows need to be zero. It is tiresome.

I hope we don't have to endure a lot of spin from this game by folks hyping Haskins' 300 yards passing performance, claiming how much he's improved, and how he's been validated as the quarterback of the future for Washington.  To my eye, Haskins still has a lot of the same problems he had last week.  I think Haskins' yardage needs to be evaluated in the context in which he obtained it.  His numbers benefited from - - lots of pass attempts, trying "game-manager" types of passes that got plumped up by good YAC, the "garbage-time" factor, and the fact that maybe the Ravens self-defense isn't all that stout.  I thought Haskins' performance was at game-manager level with deductions for the sacks, and the fact Washington fell behind quickly and eventually lost by a fairly wide margin.

That said, I'm of the school of thought, that in most cases, you don't really know how good a new QB you've got, until somewhere between their 3rd and 5th year.  (Naturally some phenoms start flashing their talents in year 1, but most need a few years.). So Haskins needs more time to learn the NFL game, in whatever role Rivera and Zampese think will help this green 1st year player to really learn how to become a great QB.

Personally, I was not a fan of drafting Haskins, and I didn't care for a few things he's said and done along the way.  However, it's way too early to close the book on him, and maybe he can improve.  But he'll need to do better than what we've seen so far, and to show something against the tougher teams in the league.  Washington has a somewhat easier stretch of games ahead, so he should look better; but until he starts carrying his teammates to victory over tougher competition -- he'll still be in the prove-it phase to me and very benchable if he can learn better that way.  

22 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Because you used your eyes and not stats and have the ability to process new information to adjust your position. I give you a ton of props man.

Archived