Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Generate uncertainty. It's in our best interest to be unpredictable.  No team or media pundit will know the truth until the commish reads the name. If Dwayne is damaged because of that, he needs to check himself. My guess is he has been informed to weather the storm and be cool because we are chuming the waters.

21 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah, you don't play mindgames like that with any QB.  That is not what our staff is doing in meeting with Burrow and Tua, Orlovsky's take was dumb.  They're talking to all of the top five picks because it'd be stupid not to when you've got the #2 pick.  Even if you aren't interested in drafting a player at the QB position, you still need to talk to the top five guys at the position because you have to accurately determine their value.

I think it's highly disturbing what is going on in the media, starting with Sheehans stupid rant a few days ago. The amount of people who believe this guy should just be coddled and handed everything, and "Informed," is just mind boggling.

What has happened to us?

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

no the last 3 Redskins drafts have been predictable.

Haskins, Payne, Guice, Allen, Anderson. 

That's really just not true. Guice was supposed to go in the 1st rd and would have had the BS about him not come out. And they took risks not getting Haskins by not trading up. Word had been NY was taking Haskins.

And Anderson? Ryan Anderson? You knew that to a certainty before the draft? Sorry, again a bit of revisionist history. The smoke was flying before every year before the draft.

But let's just say for the sake of argument - everyone in the world knew exactly what the Redskins were going to take, regardless of how unlikely that is - that was a different FO. This is Ron's game now. Only a few people including Kyle Smith are left. So if it does turn out there was no skome screens at all - theyh take Tua and keep Haskins - they this the wrong coach was hired.

Putting out all kinds of rumors before the draft always happens even if there is not much drama on draft day.

I am pretty much in agreement with @MartinC above..  I dont think this is some advanced mind warfare, I think the talent evaluators are doing their diligence on all available options (and who wouldnt on a potential top 5 QB) and the question was along the lines of "If we bring you in you'll be in a competition w/ our current QB(s) - that cool?".  My completely uneducated guess is that its still 80% CY (especially in light of his comment about meeting "Danny" (ugh ).

12 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I think it's highly disturbing what is going on in the media, starting with Sheehans stupid rant a few days ago. The amount of people who believe this guy should just be coddled and handed everything, and "Informed," is just mind boggling.

What has happened to us?

I fully agree but a level of courtesy to your incumbent QB should at least be expected in the form of information on where he stands.  Even if it turns out what your telling him is bull **** you don't want him freaking out on Twitter.  Either way you can be sure Dwayne is being fed a narrative that keeps him calm.

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Lots of possible reasons for all the smoke.

1) Rivera wants to test Haskins resolve. So these reports are designed to do that and right now Rivera has no plans to move on from Haskins.

2) The Skins are saying the things they’re saying to Tua/Burrow to see if those things are repeated to test them.

3) The Skins are setting the table to prime the fan base for a quarterback move. Whether it’s drafting one or signing one. 

4) They legit have no idea what they’re going to do and they are throwing smoke screens in so many directions that no one can accurately predict their plans.

5) Ron and Kyle are convinced they can replicate the whole Brees/Rivers/Chargers thing.

Come to think of it, wasn't Aj Smith the GM for the Chargers when that whole shebang went down?

And isn't AJ Smith Kyle's dad?...

futuramafry.jpg

Redskins got to be prepared for everything. Still think majority of it is BS and 99% sure we are taking CY at number two especially after the Snyder meeting with him.

Thinking Ron is of course going through of all scenarios such as what if the Bengals select Young number one and Redskins are not getting what they want to move back to at least Miami’s pick?

What if the Redskins trade back with Miami and Burrow, Young, Okudah and Simmons are taken. Is he going to choose a lineman over a talent like Tua or probably move back again?

8 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

And what if Haskins has a good year? You trade him for a second at most and then you’re back to square one with a rookie QB again? Seems like a waste of two years if you ask me.

the chargers did this and had a decade and a half of middling football by letting the wrong guy walk out of the building (arguably?). 

😂

2 hours ago, illone said:

the chargers did this and had a decade and a half of middling football by letting the wrong guy walk out of the building (arguably?). 

😂

And the only reason they had Brees in the first place is because they traded the first overall to Atlanta and ended up drafting Tomlinson.

Also, Brees was there for I believe three years before Rivers was drafted.

9 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

Generate uncertainty. It's in our best interest to be unpredictable.  No team or media pundit will know the truth until the commish reads the name. If Dwayne is damaged because of that, he needs to check himself. My guess is he has been informed to weather the storm and be cool because we are chuming the waters.

Agree.  I am OK with what's happened thus far with an exception or two.

Haskins to me isn't some fragile wall flower.   IMO he can handle this stuff.  The Miami reporter story wasn't helpful but the Redskins didn't create that story so that's not on them.   i loved that Haskins tweet about him being pissed off to be great.  I think that's exactly the mindset they are trying to get him in.  Keim said they have a plan to "push" him.  And if so they feel it's obvious that he needs pushing. 

I am guessing to some its hard for them to believe that the FO isn't as equally infatuated with Haskins as they are and this is all a game with no meaning to it and heck maybe so but I've heard enough to know they likely at least got some concerns.  And I do believe it.  Too many people have said they do including a source I trust a lot.   

And as I mentioned, I got no feel for what their intentions are.  The leaks are all over the place.   But I got little doubt that they believe that Haskins prepares better when he is on edge and feels like he has to fight for the job.  I don't think you just hand it to him and say we love you and you got the job no matter what, no worries.   It's more something like we like how you played in the last two games, we are excited about your potential but we don't believe in handing anyone any job, they have to earn it.  We believe in competition.   Rivera who is known to be very honest has more or less said something just like that multiple times publicly.

If I bet on this in Vegas.  I'd bet they take Chase Young.  They ride with Haskins.  But want to see Haskins approach the off season as seriously as possible and thus far that seems to be happening.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/786016-carolina-panthers-ron-riveras-honest-interviews-are-a-welcomed-change

That short quote describes Ron Rivera's personality well.  He's a "tell-it-like-it-is" kind of guy, with a healthy mix of ambition and realism.

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  I am OK with what's happened thus far with an exception or two.

Haskins to me isn't some fragile wall flower.   IMO he can handle this stuff.  The Miami reporter story wasn't helpful but the Redskins didn't create that story so that's not on them.   i loved that Haskins tweet about him being pissed off to be great.  I think that's exactly the mindset they are trying to get him in.  Keim said they have a plan to "push" him.  And if so they feel it's obvious that he needs pushing. 

I am guessing to some its hard for them to believe that the FO isn't as equally infatuated with Haskins as they are and this is all a game with no meaning to it and heck maybe so but I've heard enough to know they likely at least got some concerns.  And I do believe it.  Too many people have said they do including a source I trust a lot.   

And as I mentioned, I got no feel for what their intentions are.  The leaks are all over the place.   But I got little doubt that they believe that Haskins prepares better when he is on edge and feels like he has to fight for the job.  I don't think you just hand it to him and say we love you and you got the job no matter what, no worries.   It's more something like we like how you played in the last two games, we are excited about your potential but we don't believe in handing anyone any job, they have to earn it.  We believe in competition.   Rivera who is known to be very honest has more or less said something just like that multiple times publicly.

If I bet on this in Vegas.  I'd bet they take Chase Young.  They ride with Haskins.  But want to see Haskins approach the off season as seriously as possible and thus far that seems to be happening.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/786016-carolina-panthers-ron-riveras-honest-interviews-are-a-welcomed-change

That short quote describes Ron Rivera's personality well.  He's a "tell-it-like-it-is" kind of guy, with a healthy mix of ambition and realism.

Maybe it's part of the plan to light a fire under Dwayne's ass and get him motivated and moving.

14 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

Maybe it's part of the plan to light a fire under Dwayne's ass and get him motivated and moving.

I think it could be part of it.  I suspect it is.  When Keim says they have a plan to "push him".  And we got the comments from Doug, Scott Turner and Rivera -- you don't have to be some genius to piece together what they want to see from Haskins.  Heck even when they give encouraging answers about Haskins' off season, it centers on a theme, that same subject. 

Sheehan who was one of Haskins lone defenders on that specific issue even backed off of that today saying he doesn't know one way or another and the team would know (and he doesn't) about whether he's working the way they'd like to see him work.   I think Haskins thus far is pleasing them on that count and as long as that keeps happening, I'd say the Tua thing is remote.  

Standig today

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 8.15.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 8.15.22 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 8.15.57 AM.png

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not saying the story is true or not.  Obviously I got no idea.    But I know plenty about the newspaper business and quotes like the one below because I have to deal with it a lot in what I do.  Ironically much of it is via the very newspaper in question here.

If Rivera was the one who said it, the reporter would have likely mentioned it that way since that's the big get, that would be the headliner.  So him saying "the Redskins" if anything makes the story more believable to me <snip>

I would agree with you completely if not for the fact that he Sun Sentinel changed the text of their article AFTER Finlay reported that Ron Rivera was NOT at the meeting. They did this in such a way that anyone who later read the article  would see nothing that contradicts Finlay's tweet.

The original text of the article in question was published and quoted by me in my 8:11pm Saturday post on this thread (page 419) as:

New coach Ron Rivera told Tagovailoa he wants to bring him to Washington to compete with second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins during their meeting at the NFL combine, a source told the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

They later replaced "Ron Rivera" in the above quote with "the Redskins" without any explanation for doing so. Which not only brings into question the legitimacy of the original source for the article but also the integrity and professionalism of both the reporter and quite frankly the newspaper itself. 

14 minutes ago, SumTingWong said:

I would agree with you completely if not for the fact that he Sun Sentinel changed the text of their article AFTER Finlay reported that Ron Rivera was NOT at the meeting. They did this in such a way that anyone who later read the article  would see nothing that contradicts Finlay's tweet.

The original text of the article in question was published and quoted by me in my 8:13pm Saturday post on this thread as:

New coach Ron Rivera told Tagovailoa he wants to bring him to Washington to compete with second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins during their meeting at the NFL combine, a source told the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

They later replaced "Ron Rivera" in the above quote with "the Redskins" without any explanation for doing so. Which not only brings into question the legitimacy of the original source for the article but also the integrity and professionalism of both the reporter and quite frankly the newspaper itself. 

I already pointed out which you did. I posted both versions of it myself.    But I disagree with your global assessment of the paper based on that one thing.  

As I mentioned the obvious source was likely Tua's agent.  Could the agent have miscommunicated the point or the reporter misinterpreted it?  Sure.  And that's not the first story I've seen corrected like that.  It happens. 

It's happens to the WP, the NY Times, everyone, it doesn't IMO question the full reputation of the newspaper IMO in one fell swoop.  I'll stand by my opinion as a dude who has read the paper for decades that it is not some gossipy Enquirer type of paper or just on par with any random blog on the Internet.  It's a legit newspaper.  It's the #1 newspaper for a population of millions of people in a major region in the country.  This isn't like Tony Pauline's gossip blog.  they can get things wrong like anyone else though. 

1 hour ago, Andre The Giant said:

So Rivera said.....well, it wasn't actually Rivera......that Tua would compete with Haskins....well, they didn't actually mention Haskins...... yadda yadda yadda....

I think I recognize the smell here, I've been around horses

I hope y'all are right, this is part of a larger plan to get Haskins to hear "we want you to be our guy", something that he clearly wasn't hearing last year. 

I am having a lil trouble accepting that Rivera, someone who has built a solid rep as an honest guy, is suddenly now tap dancing like Gregory Hines to generate bull**** buzz for draft trade leverage

3 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I am having a lil trouble accepting that Rivera, someone who has built a solid rep as an honest guy, is suddenly now tap dancing like Gregory Hines to generate bull**** buzz for draft trade leverage

Well the Redskins have been know to ruin a many a coaches reputations....

I really don't believe Tua is a realistic option for Rivera.  Tua is a smoke screen by whoever.  I truly believe option #1 for Rivera is to draft Young if he is available.  Young possibly not being available is the reason why nothing is off the table.  I don't believe Rivera is interested in drafting an injury-prone QB no matter how good he is.  Burrow, however, is another matter.  Burrow is the guy he really could be scouting in case the Bengals draft Young.  But mostly I think Rivera would prefer a trade down if the Bengals take Young.  Therefore, they have to look at all the top prospects, because someone may be willing to give up a ton of first- and second-round draft picks to move up to #2 to get a QB.  In fact, Burrow could bring in a bigger haul than Tua.

In spite of all this nonsense regarding Haskins, I predict that the Bengals will take Burrow #1 and the Redskins will be taking Chase Young #2...and Haskins will be the Redskins starting QB going into 2020.  

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I already pointed out which you did. I posted both versions of it myself.   

But I disagree with your global assessment of the paper based on that one thing.  

Sorry, I missed that post but just read it. 

My issue with the reporter/paper is not that they reported something in error but that it was a substantive error on the essential fact that gave the article credibility and power-- that the Redskins head coach, the presumed final decision maker, made an affirmative statement of the teams intent. That is a major finding and would have been national news and sports talk fodder for days had it been true

Further, when thanks to Jay Finlay it became evident that their reporting could not be true, since Rivera was not even present at the interview, they just edited the original report without explaining why they did so or apologizing for its inaccuracy. This may well be common practice in modern journalism but to me it's unprofessional at best and sleazy at worst. They had a duty to explain their error not just make it vanish.

Newspapers and the reporters that work for them obviously have a lot of power and with that power comes responsibility and accountability.

Thankfully the Redskins didn't need to issue a formal denial because they did so by proxy through Finlay. But suppose Rivera was actually in that meeting and he was forced by the fallout from thie uncorrected article to deny the Sentinel report. Would the Sentinel, in that circumstance, have changed their article?

What if they didn't? Would we, as a fan base, universally believe our new head coach? Would Haskins have believed him? What kind of effect would that uncertainty have on our team?

Anyone else remember any of this? lol...

Washington Redskins Work Out JaMarcus Russell, Seriously

pixel.gifJaMarcus Russell visited Redskins Park today to tryout the buffet-style dining hall and to work out for the team.

As if the recent benching of Donovan McNabb with two minutes left in last Sunday’s game wasn’t bad enough, now the team brings in an overweight rhino that is 7-18 in his short NFL career as a starter.

But let’s not panic just yet. According to reports, Bruce Allen is a friendly guy, and he has many close relationships with player agents. With a LinkedIn profile full of agent friends, Allen finds himself doing a lot of favors for guys looking to get their client’s name out on the street.

In short, Bruce Allen invited a deadbeat player like JaMarcus Russell to work out for the team in order to pay his agent friend a favor.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/508071-washington-redskins-work-out-jamarcus-russell-seriously

Redskins’ NFL draft rumor du jour features Broncos

The hot rumor out of Denver — and two weeks before the NFL draft, there are plenty of those flying about — has the Broncos talking to teams, including the Washington Redskins and Arizona Cardinals, about swapping draft picks.

Until Mike Shanahan steps up and reveals the team’s plans (and he’d wear a pink tutu before he’d do that), this is all speculation, but that’s what makes the draft great. From Broncos Talk:

The bait I would think the Broncos are using for the second overall pick is Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert. There have been reports that Ken Whisenhunt and Mike Shanahan are big fans of the Mizz alumnus.

Peter King himself says, “And Gabbert will not get past Arizona.

Redskins fans may like Gabbert. I like Gabbert. But that doesn’t mean I’d make a move for him. So much needs fixing with the Redskins. Do you go for the quarterback, knowing that the offensive line is suspect? What about drafting a wide receiver, something that hasn’t been Shanahan’s strong suit? Some like the idea of taking a wide receiver, like Julio Jones, but a Twitter debate showed that most fans think the Redskins can ill afford a luxury pick at this point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/post/redskins-nfl-draft-rumor-du-jour-features-broncos/2011/04/13/AFSArtVD_blog.html

I'm trying to find the video of LaCanforna (I think) saying live on the air during the 2010 draft that the Skins were about to trade Albert Haynesworth lol....it's one thing to say "S source familiar with Mie Shanahan's breakfast routine" told him whatever, but to go on the air, look into the camera, and deliver that news is quite another.

26 minutes ago, SumTingWong said:

Sorry, I missed that post but just read it. 

My issue with the reporter/paper is not that they reported something in error but that it was a substantive error on the essential fact that gave the article credibility and power-- that the Redskins head coach, the presumed final decision maker, made an affirmative statement of the teams intent. That is a major finding and would have been national news and sports talk fodder for days had it been true

Agree but it's not a major point to them though so I doubt dissecting that part of it is a big deal to them.  They'd want to be correct of course.  But I'll say at the very least the average Dolphins fan I know (which are quite a few of them including my parents)  would have no idea about the FO and decision makers of the Redskins.  The reporter isn't writing a story there about the Redskins.  He's writing a story about the Dolphins.  That's what his readers care about.  For us, Rivera being the dude saying it versus someone else in the FO is a big deal.  To Dolphin fans, I doubt they'd care or think much of the nuance of the potential Redskins decision makers.  Their angle is will the Redskins take Tua and get in the way of the Dolphins doing it. 

26 minutes ago, SumTingWong said:

Newspapers and the reporters that work for them obviously have a lot of power and with that power comes responsibility and accountability.

In my business, I deal with them all the time and have given them stories.  I'll read it and on occasion call them and say they got that part wrong they misunderstood me and they've modified stories they've written.   Most of that issue involves whether you put your material in writing or not.  Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't.  But if its not in writing from you, there could be a thing they get wrong or misinterpret from your conversation. 

Years back when I worked in policy, I did research and worked on a bill that involved medical errors.  And you'd be shocked how much that stuff happens.  It actually alarms me to do this day when I have to see a doctor.  These are big decision where life and death decisions are often at stake -- yet doctors can make grievously wrong calls, patients are giving the wrong medication on and on.

Reporters are just like anyone else.  They make mistakes.  We all do in our jobs.  And most of their mistakes are innocent from my experience.  And sometimes the mistake is actually from the source not the reporter.  Then the question is why trust the source?  Well, that same source could have nailed the last 9 stories but finally got this one wrong, etc.  Reporting especially when its source driven relies on a version of events that aren't always crystal clear and people's memories are rarely perfect and they can also be manipulated from said source.  

Heck I was just reading Standig's article, I think he's a good reporter, and in the article he states that showing interest in Tua could be a way for the Redskins to push Chase Young.  I bet he didn't mean that and he meant to say Haskins.   Now I noticed that whole paragraph is gone.

I've said before from my experience (about stories I am privy to). The typical report from something I am involved in is about 80% on the money, 20% wrong.  On rare occasion 100% right through and through.   And on rare occasion 100% wrong through and through.  

On the Haskins Dolphins story, if I had to take a stab at it, I'd bet it's from Tua's agent and the reporter misinterpreted what he said.  

1 hour ago, cakmoney61 said:

In spite of all this nonsense regarding Haskins, I predict that the Bengals will take Burrow #1 and the Redskins will be taking Chase Young #2...and Haskins will be the Redskins starting QB going into 2020.  

I'd put big money on this.  I like to say for me I am more likey to believe what I hear from multiple beat guys -- that usually increases the odds from my experience that its correct.

And the multiple reporter most common theme on the subject is Chase Young at #2.  And like I say if they are cool with Haskins, then i am cool.  I want right now whatever they want.  And I've been salivating for Chase Young since last October. 😀

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 8.16.12 AM.png

Archived