Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

I am so convinced this is all smoke and mirrors, that I am willing to put a Sig Bet on it--we take Chase Young #2.

I don't think you're going to get many takers. 

I think a good majority of us think this will be the case.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think you're going to get many takers. 

I think a good majority of us think this will be the case.

You'd be surprised the number of people I've talked to that think we're taking Tua at two, truly...alliteration aside...

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

You'd be surprised the number of people I've talked to that think we're taking Tua at two, truly...alliteration aside...

I think there's a chance. I also think there's a chance Young goes 1. I think there's a chance we trade back.

But I wouldn't think that chance is high enough for any of those scenarios for me to bet against Young at 2.

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

Exactly :)

Except the chance the Skins do something other than draft Young at 2 is so far beyond your chances of landing a trip to pleasuretown with ScarJo that its akin to looking in a telescope and spotting a planet four solar systems away vs. You getting a hotel across the street from ScarJo and peeking behind the curtains.

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Except the chance the Skins do something other than draft Young at 2 is so far beyond your chances of landing a trip to pleasuretown with ScarJo that its akin to looking in a telescope and spotting a planet four solar systems away vs. You getting a hotel across the street from ScarJo and peeking behind the curtains.

Image result for so you're saying there's a chance gif

Image result for giggity gif

PFF mock.  I doubt it but I guess you never know.  But I guess we are going to have an entertaining two months.  At least it kills some time before FA. 

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-2020-post-combine-mock-draft-redskins-go-with-tua-tagovailoa

1. CINCINNATI BENGALS – QB JOE BURROW, LSU

Burrow put the speculation to rest. He wants to go No. 1 overall. The only question that remains is how they’re going to keep Burrow upright behind that line? We’ll answer that one in our three-round mock.

2. WASHINGTON REDSKINS – QB TUA TAGOVAILOA, ALABAMA

Besides the obvious health asterisk here, let me explain: 

Dwayne Haskins was not Ron Rivera’s guy, and the former personnel executive who drafted Haskins — Bruce Allen — is now gone. 

• Haskins earned a 66.6 passing grade as a rookie and 84.9 his lone year as the starter at Ohio State. The grades aren’t the end all be all, but you’d be hard-pressed to find a stat or favorable evaluation of Haskins’ rookie season.

• Ask any Cardinals fan whether they’d rather have Josh Rosen and Nick Bosa or Kyler Murray.

3. DETROIT LIONS – EDGE CHASE YOUNG, OHIO STATE

If the Lions are going to come away from the first round with only one pick, this is the absolute dream scenario. Last year’s starter, Romeo Okwara, had fewer pressures his final two seasons at Notre Dame combined (40) than Young had in each of the past two seasons (75 and 56). That sounds like quite the upgrade.

4. NEW YORK GIANTS – OT MEKHI BECTON, LOUISVILLE

The Giants are committed to building through the trenches, and there’s no larger building block in the draft class… literally. The 6-foot-7, 364-pound Becton scooted his way to a 5.1 second 40-yard dash over the weekend. While he hasn’t been tested a ton in pass protection (73 true pass sets all year) and is raw as a prospect, Becton has rare physical tools to work with.

5. MIAMI DOLPHINS – QB JUSTIN HERBERT, OREGON

Miami doesn’t have to go QB if Tua is off the board at No. 2. That being said, Herbert has unsurprisingly aced the pre-draft process and admittedly offers a ton of clay to mold at the next level. An underrated aspect of his game is that he can legitimately add to any run game in the NFL — similar to what Josh Allen has done in Buffalo. Herbert ran a 4.68 40 in Indy and had excellent jumps (35.5-inch vertical and 10-foot-3 broad jump).

On 2/28/2020 at 12:11 PM, mistertim said:

Well, on the flip side of that one could say that it also makes very little sense to jettison a 1st round QB after only 7 starts when he played well and showed promise in his last few games. Wouldn't it be worth it to see if he continues to grow instead of immediately spending a #2 overall pick the next shiny object when there is a potential generational pass rushing prospect sitting in your lap there? 

It makes perfect sense for them to jettison him...if Rivera doesn't believe in him, he should have every right to draft his QB.  We could be passing on a generational QB talent.

9 minutes ago, profusion said:

Drafting Tua would effectively begin a rebuild. Drafting Chase would be an attempt to build on what we already have. I thought Ron said he wasn't here for a rebuild.

I'm not sure I agree here.

Haskins had a mediocre or worse first season (that trended up towards the end of it, for sure) and the entire system is changing this year. Haskins needs to develop. I'm not sure the difference between Haskins 1 year in the NFL and Tua's rookie season upcoming is enough to change the "rebuild"/"win now" narrative.

If he was truly looking to win now, they'd be bringing in a vet QB and drafting Chase Young.

If I'm betting I'm going Chase at 2 for sure. But it sure sounds clear that Ron is simply not sold on Dwayne Haskins so that does add a wrinkle. But I was off Tua before the latest injury, now I'd be pretty pissed if he is the pick at 2 given his injury risk.  But if nothing else it would show that Ron and not Dan is in charge.  

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm not sure I agree here.

Haskins had a mediocre or worse first season (that trended up towards the end of it, for sure) and the entire system is changing this year. Haskins needs to develop. I'm not sure the difference between Haskins 1 year in the NFL and Tua's rookie season upcoming is enough to change the "rebuild"/"win now" narrative.

If he was truly looking to win now, they'd be bringing in a vet QB and drafting Chase Young.

Agree, with this.  Listening to Standig this morning, his thought is your later point is in play.  He said he hears they aren't totally sold on Haskins but he thinks they are more likely to push him with a veteran.  He doesn't think that veteran will be just some token dude with no shot at the job but also won't be someone that is crazy expensive so somewhere in between.  He mentioned someone like Mariotta. 

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

Wait...I thought that once Bruce Allen was gone the culture was going to change and the leaks were going to stop?

Every team has their leaks and or gossip reports.    I don't think the issues with Bruce was leaks but mean spirited targeted leaks.  There is gossip cooking about just about every team.  I was just going through some of that on ESPN and the Athletic.

On 2/25/2020 at 11:36 PM, Califan007 said:

Some early morning reading lol....This is where many fans left off with Haskins before he got injured and before the Tua talk started up:

I'm still where I was. I think its naive and borderline criminal to give up on Haskins right now. But now is kinda a due break from the NFL for me because there's nothing really going on. When we had Vinny, I'd get hyped up right now about players but that was because it was wishful thinking. Now I trust in Kyle so much that I want to be excited about the guys we draft. I'll do some work in the days before the draft but more on the guys we draft, kinda like I did last year. 

I am surprisingly happy with a lot of the offensive side of the roster (including TE). I think we need backup OL players (especially OT), and one of our young guys to emerge at TE but I think this could be a real good offense. I'm more interested in who we can get on our PS / who gets on special teams and who is the backup option in case Guice & Love aren't healthy. I think those questions are more interesting than this Haskins / Tua debate. or even the Chase Young / Trade Down debate.  

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

We could be passing on a generational QB talent.

Yep, we sure could.  If Chase is not chosen then there better be 1st rounds picks involved in there somewhere.  IF we just take Tua at 2 with no trade & extra picks involved I will be livid.  That would be, in my mind, lunacy. 

29 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I am surprisingly happy with a lot of the offensive side of the roster (including TE). I think we need backup OL players (especially OT), and one of our young guys to emerge at TE but I think this could be a real good offense. I'm more interested in who we can get on our PS / who gets on special teams and who is the backup option in case Guice & Love aren't healthy. I think those questions are more interesting than this Haskins / Tua debate. or even the Chase Young / Trade Down debate.  

In defense of these reporters -- I think the average fan is much more interested in whether we trade down, take Chase, etc then who makes our practice squad next year.  So these stories will keep coming. 😀

I trust Kyle too.  I like Hentges as a blocking TE. Sprinkle to me is "meh".  I think they got some work to do at TE.  If we are bringing this back to Haskins, IMO he deserves a good  pass catching TE, better than Sprinkle. 

Like I was saying yesterday every day is a new narrative on the QB.   Yes, Tua.  No way, Tua.  All in on Haskins.  Sort of all in but with some questions.  M

I lean towards what's been said below.  they don't draft Tua.  They give Haskins another ride, they have some optimism about him but want to see him work hard this off season (so far so good this off season on that count) and sign a veteran to create some camp competition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/02/making-sense-redskins-draft-intrigue-chase-young-tua-trent-williams/?utm_campaign=wp_redskins&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Many coaches and talent evaluators talking off the record at the combine said they believe Rivera will sign a starting-level quarterback in free agency, a player talented enough to push or even potential beat out Haskins for the starting job, but not one who will demand an outrageous contract. Among the names mentioned most often were the Tennessee Titans’ Marcus Mariota and New Orleans Saints’ Teddy Bridgewater, though some speculated that Case Keenum, who started several games for Washington last season, could be a possibility too.

Yes, the Redskins met with Tagovailoa and LSU’s Joe Burrow at the combine last week and probably will bring both in for visits at the team’s practice facility, but this is something typical for a team in Washington’s position. As Rivera said last week, you “never know” what will happen as the draft draws near, and he seems aware of the fact that disguising the team’s intentions with the second overall pick could have an affect on the quality of trade offers the team receives for it. So, even though drafting a quarterback at No. 2 remains a possibility, none of the team’s actions to this point are necessarily a signal that they are ready to move on from Haskins.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, with this.  Listening to Standig this morning, his thought is your later point is in play.  He said he hears they aren't totally sold on Haskins but he thinks they are more likely to push him with a veteran.  He doesn't think that veteran will be just some token dude with no shot at the job but also won't be someone that is crazy expensive so somewhere in between.  He mentioned someone like Mariotta. 

To be fair, this is what I was pushing early in the offseason as well. Mariota, too. His cost is the only question.

Teddy Bridgewater wants to get paid and he will have suitors.  I don't think he's a guy Skins would pursue.

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/03/report-bucs-in-on-teddy-bridgewater-jameis-winston-could-land-in-new-orleans/

One NFL general manager firmly believes that Bridgewater could end up with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. “I am hearing Tampa Bay is hot on Bridgewater,”

I think the (unreasonable) hope is that somehow Alex Smith recovers well enough to be the back up or "compete" for the starting gig. It just seems to me with 20m invested in the QB position already that it would be really difficult to go outside and hire a starting quality free agent. 

Archived