Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Local paper here and its far from a gossipy type paper, its the WP version in South Florida along with the Herald.

There is one NFL team that could truly throw the Miami Dolphins for a loop if they hope to make a trade up from No. 5 into the top three of the 2020 NFL draft.

It’s the Washington Redskins, who own the second overall pick and could possibly stray away from what many believe they might do in the draft.

Conventional wisdom says Washington selects Ohio State defensive end Chase Young, who many feel is the best overall player in April’s draft, after the Cincinnati Bengals take LSU quarterback Joe Burrow with the first pick.

Washington could also be open for business with the No. 2 pick where a team like Miami could be the highest bidder, putting general manager Chris Grier and coach Brian Flores in the position of drafting Young or Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa.

Or, the Redskins could deviate from those two notions altogether.

New coach Ron Rivera told Tagovailoa he wants to bring him to Washington to compete with second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins during their meeting at the NFL combine, a source told the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

“They felt like Dwayne was not the guy right now,” the source said. “They want to bring in Tua, just get it going and compete.”

Still Tagovailoa would prefer to be drafted by the Dolphins, and believes Miami is a good fit for him the source added.

Tagovailoa, who will likely be available with the No. 2 pick, said he will be medically cleared from his hip injury on March 9, and will hold a pro day workout on April 9 to offer a glimpse of his recovery process to NFL teams.

If Tagovailoa’s hip checks out medically and his workout is impressive, the interest for the lefty former Alabama standout could gain even more steam from other teams before the draft begins April 23 in Las Vegas.

But would Washington really pass on Young?

And would Redskins owner Dan Snyder give Rivera the clearance to pick a new quarterback after being adamant about the organization drafting Haskins a year ago with the No. 15 pick?

Snyder’s preference to draft Haskins was a contentious point in the firing last season of former Redskins coach Jay Gruden, who wanted Daniel Jones before he was taken sixth overall by the New York Giants.

But Rivera, who led the Carolina Panthers to a Super Bowl run in 2015, could be given the leeway to pick his own quarterback to begin his tenure as Redskins coach.

“You can win because of him, and you can win with him. That's what’s exciting. He's got that type of potential, but he's got to grow into it and nothing will be given,” Rivera said of Haskins during his combine media session.

“He's not anointed, that's for sure. I expect him to come in and compete and work and we'll see what happens.”

Still, Rivera could prefer to stick with Haskins and choose to further develop the former Ohio State standout, and be open to trading the No. 2 pick for a package of three or four draft picks to fill many of the needs on his new team.

The Dolphins could offer Washington more than any other team in the NFL with their bounty of picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts, and the Tagovailoa to the Redskins notion could drive the price up even further for the No. 2 pick.

While the Redskins openly said they are keeping their options open, the Dolphins should continue to gauge Washington’s motives ahead of the draft.

3 hours ago, ggarriso said:

Be careful with your assumptions and virtue signaling 

Let’s ALL be careful with assumptions - and trying to assign meaning to other posters that’s not stated. 

The above is an official warning for all in the thread. Next sentence is just me as a poster.

As for virtue signalling - to believe there is not a racial element in SOME of the criticism levelled at Haskins is either naive or delusional.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

New coach Ron Rivera told Tagovailoa he wants to bring him to Washington to compete with second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins during their meeting at the NFL combine, a source told the South Florida Sun Sentinel

This doesn't pass any sniff test.

22 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they wanted to cut ties with Haskins. Them Telling Tua that, and then Tua telling the media that is a lot of bad, unnecessary communication from both parties. 

I don't know what Rivera is telling Dwayne behind the scenes but on the surface, I don't think this is the way to handle things.

To be honest, I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Haskins camp asks for a trade.🤔

(Assuming the Tua interest is genuine)

16 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Them “competing” on the same team?...no

But the Skins wanting to get out of the Haskins business if they get the opportunity ?...yeah it does. They’ve been telling us this for months now 

Or it's all bull****. Or it's meant to motivate. Or...

Or...

Or...

They will take Chase Young.

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You don’t draft a QB #2 overall just to compete lol...

And I’m not sure if too many people think thru the ramifications if that report were true. Because damn near all of them would be negative.

And incredibly stupid. The smoke is going to get real thick over the next 2 months.

Lots of possible reasons for all the smoke.

1) Rivera wants to test Haskins resolve. So these reports are designed to do that and right now Rivera has no plans to move on from Haskins.

2) The Skins are saying the things they’re saying to Tua/Burrow to see if those things are repeated to test them.

3) The Skins are setting the table to prime the fan base for a quarterback move. Whether it’s drafting one or signing one. 

4) They legit have no idea what they’re going to do and they are throwing smoke screens in so many directions that no one can accurately predict their plans.

I don’t think they’re comfortable right now with Haskins. But I don’t think that means they’re ready to move on from him... yet.

11 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

To be honest, I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Haskins camp asks for a trade.🤔

This is another possible scenario that the Skins may not necessarily be trying to have happen, but if it did it would make it “easier” to move on at quarterback.

The whole thing is messy. Thank you, Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder.

If we intend to bring in a vet QB, like say Rivers, that blows our draft cover. Any move at QB will have to dovetail between FA and draft, got to admit don’t mind rolling with Haskins but happy to go in another direction too. 

New regime and all that.

1 minute ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I don’t think the Skins will draft Tua. This is about potentially moving back in the draft and getting the best package. 

I just really think they don’t want Haskins as their week one starter. 

Well then you have to trade him.

I can't imagine him sitting behind a veteran (Phillip Rivers?) for a few years.

15 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Folks it is draft ‘bull****’ season. 

Don’t believe anything you read and almost nothing of what you see.

I was about to type a long winded version of this.  But yeah, this.  Lot of "matter of fact" lingo going around rather than the usual speculation.  And it's all completely made up, like the "confirmed" trade deals for trent at the deadline.  No ones even trying to be clever anymore, things are just completely made up and sent as facts.

Doesn't bother me.  If teams think we're serious about tua then they pay more for our pick.  The crazy idea of trading to 3 and still getting chase becomes more possible, so whatever.

I dont like to speak "matter of fact ish" myself, but we're drafting chase young.  Sorry that's so boring for the twitter world lol.

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Difficult to think of a player I want on this team LESS than Rivers.

Hard pass.

I agree. I don’t want Rivers. I’d rather develop Haskins, who I have questions on, than pay Rivers what it’s going to take for him to be mediocre at best.

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

2) The Skins are saying the things they’re saying to Tua/Burrow to see if those things are repeated to test them.

The funny thing is on that count... we already got Tua leaking what the Dolphins did in their interview with him.  And supposedly leaking what the Redskins said.  Everything I've read about Tua depicts him as a boy scout character wise.   I don't think I've seen Saban sing this hard the praises of the character of his players more than Minkah Fitzpatrick and Tua.  So if its Tua leaking stuff someone should talk to him that he's been too open because I doubt he's leaking this stuff for gossip/malicious reasons.

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

4) They legit have no idea what they’re going to do and they are throwing smoke screens in so many directions that no one can accurately predict their plans.

This would be my guess.  I'd guess they are leaning towards taking Chase and riding with Haskins.  But want to consider all options before jumping on that train for sure and see no downside for keeping Haskins on edge.  Keim flat out said in a recent podcast that he heard they have a specific plan to push Haskins.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I agree. I don’t want Rivers. I’d rather develop Haskins, who I have questions on, than pay Rivers what it’s going to take for him to be mediocre at best.

I don't buy the Rivers stuff.  They are going to dedicate more than 50 million to the QB spot?  I somewhat buy they are considering Tua but I still don't think they draft him in the end.  But Rivers to me not only makes zero sense but is actually ridiculous.    On NFL Network and elsewhere in recent days they keep linking Rivers to the Colts.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The funny thing is on that count... we already got Tua leaking what the Dolphins did in their interview with him.  And supposedly leaking what the Redskins said.  Everything I've read about Tua depicts himself as a boy scout character wise.   I don't think I've seen Saban sing this hard the praises of the character of his players more than Minkah Fitzpatrick and Tua.  So if its Tua leaking stuff someone should talk to him that he's been too open because I doubt he's leaking this stuff for gossip/malicious reasons.

This would be my guess.  I'd guess they are leaning towards taking Chase and riding with Haskins.  But what to consider all options before jumping on that train for sure and see no downside for keeping Haskins on edge.  Keim flat out said in a recent podcast that he heard they have a specific plan to push Haskins.

And that's what I'm a little concerned about.

Pushing/motivating someone is one thing.

Playing mind games is something else entirely.

Not sure if that's the best approach to take.🤷‍♂️

At least with Haskins.

Archived