Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Rivera was the one who said it, the reporter would have likely mentioned it that way since that's the big get, that would be the headliner. 

Sure, but he mentions Rivera several times within the article, making it seem like he was the one who was ultimately telling Tua all this.  It's misleading at best.

I agree about the agent likely being the one leaking this, if A. it was even said in the first place or B. it wasn't twisted in a game of telephone (i.e. the Redskins saying they could take Tua, not that they will).

15 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Sure, but he mentions Rivera several times within the article, making it seem like he was the one who was ultimately telling Tua all this.  It's misleading at best.

Yep but not in the context of the actual interview.  That's what ironically makes it believable to me purely from the context that he did hear what he reported.   The fact that he meanders about Rivera outside of the actual interview is a common newspaper trick.  If for example I leak something to a reporter but they don't hear it from my boss the reporter often would say they've heard such as such from the campaign and then weave in the actual candidate (who is the bigger reader interest by a mile) into the story to give it more punch.  Just like he did there.  

It's also a real newspaper.  It's not Tony Pauline opining about something.  They have higher ups who have to vet their stories.  They could have the story completely wrong but got little doubt knowing that newspaper very well (though not their sports writers) they did hear it.  

15 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I agree about the agent likely being the one leaking this, if A. it was even said in the first place or B. it wasn't twisted in a game of telephone (i.e. the Redskins saying they could take Tua, not that they will).

I'd put money on it.  agents are often the sources of stories from what I've heard.  And I bet the Dolphins have Tua's agent in particular on speed dial.   It's in Tua's agent best interest to build the Redskins interest.  Tua and his agent make more money i believe the higher they are picked.  That doesn't mean this is all smoke and BS but it certainly could mean it. 

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I can see Tua being drafted with the idea of sitting him in 2020 (injury), and letting Haskins do his thing for a year and see where they are at for 2021. That is not completely unreasonable. It would be tough as hell for Haskins to swallow, but not a complete shocker.

And what if Haskins has a good year? You trade him for a second at most and then you’re back to square one with a rookie QB again? Seems like a waste of two years if you ask me.

23 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Here is what likely happened. Redskins are rightly doing due diligence - they are getting a feel for all the possible options as you just don’t know what might happen (Bengals could take Young first overall - however unlikely). So your interviewing the guy and you are explaining where he may possibly fit - so what do you say? ‘Well we have a QB we drafted first round last year but if we really like you we could conceivably bring you in and have you compete ...”. And that gets leaked as this story.

I mean what else do you say - ‘We are just kicking tyres here, probably a waste of everyone’s time’?

But you don’t take a QB second overall to ‘compete’. You draft him because you believe he’s your guy and you play him. Rivera not being in the room either gives you some idea of the credibility of us being serious about pulling the trigger on another QB at #2.

I see where the Rivera stuff is coming from and why Finlay made such a big deal about Rivera not being there.   But unless am missing something the Burgandy blog dude misquoted the article.  I presume Finlay just saw his tweet.  The Sentinel requires a paid account if you want to read the actual article.  I have a paid account with them and that's why I could post the real thing on this site.  Unless there is something I am missing where there is another quote somewhere else? 

18 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

And what if Haskins has a good year? You trade him for a second at most and then you’re back to square one with a rookie QB again? Seems like a waste of two years if you ask me.

idk, was just saying I could see it happening. Maybe it solidifies them on DH and they trade Tua for picks..it would not shock me is all I was referencing. I’m not advocating for it. Within the realm of possibilities. If DH doesn’t grow, you start fresh with Tua in 2021, and trade DH for whatever you can get. 🤷🏽‍♂️

2 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@Skinsinparadise Given His pedigree I was a little shocked at how forthcoming and open he was regarding the Dolphins meeting. Wonder how Flores felt about his impressions on the meeting. Love the Chess being played by the Dolphins v Skins V Tua v DH v CY... outside of the Rivers rumor, I dont mind the game being played by RR. Shake it up and see how people respond.

Yeah I am not bothered by any of it.   If its all fake, you got nothing to lose to create some noise and perhaps some urgency for any team to make an offer.  If its sincere, then what do you have to lose and kick the tires and see what you got.

For Tua specifically, i presume Kyle would have a really strong idea one way or another about him.  Kyle seems very plugged in with Alabama.  He was an SEC scout not that long ago.  Saban and his staff are known to be very accommodating and forthcoming about their prospects with the NFL types. 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

thats what I’m saying...

The plumbing that needs to get fixed is on Tua’s end.

That whole "bring him in to compete with Haskins" is Cerrato-level poor

All I can picture now though is Jeff Daniels in Dumb and Dumber.

“They felt like Dwayne was not the guy right now,” the source said. “They want to bring in Tua, just get it going and compete.”

I'm sorry I don't believe our FO or coaching staff would tell anyone this even if it were true.  This is BS at its finest, it doesn't mean there's not some interest but I don't think Ron is running around telling people Dwayne is not the guy, and furthermore you want to pass up a chance at Chase so you can draft someone who can push Haskins.

The whole thing sounds idiotic.

28 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

“They felt like Dwayne was not the guy right now,” the source said. “They want to bring in Tua, just get it going and compete.”

I'm sorry I don't believe our FO or coaching staff would tell anyone this even if it were true.  This is BS at its finest, it doesn't mean there's not some interest but I don't think Ron is running around telling people Dwayne is not the guy, and furthermore you want to pass up a chance at Chase so you can draft someone who can push Haskins.

The whole thing sounds idiotic.

Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Couldve sworn he was "Their guy" 5 minutes ago, and that pissed people off.

I hate what this league has become.

42 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

If Dwayne was actually told that Tua was being brought in to compete against him, he’d have been all over social media about it. That’s how everyone can tell it’s false.

You also don’t even have those kinds of conversations until he’s drafted. What happens if cincy takes Tua? 

If anyone took this as the truth then you haven’t been following football very long.

6 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Playing mind games is something else entirely.

Yeah, you don't play mindgames like that with any QB.  That is not what our staff is doing in meeting with Burrow and Tua, Orlovsky's take was dumb.  They're talking to all of the top five picks because it'd be stupid not to when you've got the #2 pick.  Even if you aren't interested in drafting a player at the QB position, you still need to talk to the top five guys at the position because you have to accurately determine their value.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yeah, you don't play mindgames like that with any QB.  That is not what our staff is doing in meeting with Burrow and Tua, Orlovsky's take was dumb.  They're talking to all of the top five picks because it'd be stupid not to when you've got the #2 pick.  Even if you aren't interested in drafting a player at the QB position, you still need to talk to the top five guys at the position because you have to accurately determine their value.

Agreed.....if we start talking to Justin Herbert or Jacob Eason then I would be worried if I were Haskins.  But I think we are checking all the boxes with these prospects.

Archived