Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Haskins was the quarterback.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't.

If you're a Haskins or nothing kinda guy, hold on to your shorts :ols:

Thinking about this Haskins thing more, here's what should concern the Haskins camp, the coaches (and to some extent the players) were not sold on putting Haskins in games because he was totally unprepared. He couldn't even really call plays, let alone execute them. And it was two different head coaches who said "he's gotta earn it", almost as if they wanted to say he hasn't done nearly enough to prepare to play. What is the new regime gonna think? 

What uproar? Him saying that Haskins needs to take the game more seriously (which even his teammate alluded too) or that our QB may not even be on the roster?

Got to agree with him, 6 good QTRs doesn’t solidify anyones position. He better come prepared and he better show his worth in the preseason. Best players play. That’s how you win.

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Thinking about this Haskins thing more, here's what should concern the Haskins camp, the coaches (and to some extent the players) were not sold on putting Haskins in games because he was totally unprepared. He couldn't even really call plays, let alone execute them. And it was two different head coaches who said "he's gotta earn it", almost as if they wanted to say he hasn't done nearly enough to prepare to play. What is the new regime gonna think? 

He has to change his mindset. The word “Dan” should never be uttered by him in public, to Ron or Scott or in the locker room ever again.

Any thought that he has that this is his team now without competing and beating the other quarterbacks needs to leave his head.  

He needs to be the first guy at the park and the last to leave. Every single day of the off season that he’s allowed in the park.

The days he’s not allowed to practice due to CBA rules he should spend with Norv if Norv is not hired somewhere. All his vacations need to take place at Norv’s house. If he does that, he has a chance. Anything less and I doubt it...

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

You're thought process is dated and incorrect from what was said about him after the second to last game he played...

2 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

He has to change his mindset. The word “Dan” should never be uttered by him in public, to Ron or Scott or in the locker room ever again.

Any thought that he has that this is his team now without competing and beating the other quarterbacks needs to leave his head.  

He needs to be the first guy at the park and the last to leave. Every single day of the off season that he’s allowed in the park.

The days he’s not allowed to practice due to CBA rules he should spend with Norv if Norv is not hired somewhere. All his vacations need to take place at Norv’s house. If he does that, he has a chance. Anything less and I doubt it...

Your schtick is old...of course I've been drinking...but still...its old. Can ya get a new one please. I'm getting bored of it and need a new schtick from you...

I do get the entitlement angle. It's been reported frequently enough by credible sources that I'm inclined to believe it. When he was asked about that injury, for instance, and said that "Dan told me not to go back in", I was like "alright, hoss". Snyder immediately put out a statement indicating he said no such thing, but that he told the kid to listen to the team doctor(s). I'm guessing the discussions with Rivera had already been underway by that point, so Snyder issuing that statement makes sense. The approach was going to be different moving forward. If you'll recall, Haskins cleaned it up a bit later by saying that "Dan Snyder" told me to listen to the team doctor, who had said that he shouldn't return to the game. Big difference there.

Dwayne was ending the season on a tear, making great progress.  The only thing that stopped him was an injury.  And people are now acting like he’s not our future.  I’m a little confused, by this shift in thinking.  I know Dan wants Haskins to be a Redskins lifer.

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

Dwayne was ending the season on a tear, making great progress.  The only thing that stopped him was an injury.  And people are now acting like he’s not our future.  I’m a little confused, by this shift in thinking.  I know Dan wants Haskins to be a Redskins lifer.

The shift in thinking is due to Rivera's comments about Dwayne.

Its possible he's just trying to push/motivate him (my hope).......

I think some are trying wayyy to hard to read between the lines on RRs comments about DH... They havent even ran a single practice together for christs sake!

Some of yall crack me up man... If KOC was the qb whisperer some make him out to be- wouldnt he have a resume? Are we giving him ALL of Haskins growth in the last few weeks? None is on the actual player? Or idk on the job experience? Is it insane to think that RR is confident he can not only duplicate any success KOC had in Haskins growth, but more importantly get the RIGHT people in house and do a far superior job in grooming him?!?

I laugh when I read the comments about Haskins being entitled... Or Dannys pet or buddy or a self centered diva etc.. The narrative is trying to paint this guy like he is Antonio Brown status full of himself, and literally took over Bruce Allens old office! Lollll

Any star player is close to the owner- moreso the qbs; Kraft and Brady? Said Brady is family, BLOOD family! guys come on... Portis and Snyder were pretty tight too- he is the star qb. Just becuase he has a conversation or god forbid a dinner with his boss, doesnt mean he is some kind of suck up little teachers pet to the guy. Good grief.

He missed a non mandatory meeting in the off season? In which time most all players are taking a vacation before the offseason grind?? Oooohhhh ahhhhh what an ungrateful brat! LMMFAO

7 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I don't think there was a ton of support here for Haskins even after that stretch.

Many of us thought he bought himself a chance. And he absolutely did. His improvement at the end of the year was tenfold. He was exciting to watch in those last couple of games he played. But the sample size is still the sample size and its something that needs to continue to be built upon.

Maturity, whether the people in the Haskins "camp" like it or not, is going to be a serious aspect of his play that matters significantly to Rivera. He's okay with quirky, obviously. He seemed to mature through his baptism by fire. But this offseason will provide a ton of light into that. 

It's his job to lose. As it should be. Let's see what he does.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Maturity, whether the people in the Haskins "camp" like it or not, is going to be a serious aspect of his play that matters significantly to Rivera. He's okay with quirky, obviously. He seemed to mature through his baptism by fire. But this offseason will provide a ton of light into that. 

Based on what's being said that seems to be the case.  It's looking like a big off season for him. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/after-whirlwind-week-how-comfortable-should-dwayne-haskins-be-redskins-qb

Culture change ranks ahead of quarterback development, but it's also possible culture change will accelerate Haskins' development. 

Asked what he wants from Haskins, Rivera didn't mince words. 

"He’s going to have to step up and become a leader. All the great ones have become leaders and they’ve become leaders whether they’re rookies or they’re 10-,12-year vets," the coach said. "You’ve got to step up, you’ve got to be where you need to be, you’ve got to do things you’re supposed to do. That’s all going to start with your offseason, how you prepare yourself, how do you get yourself ready."

Early on in the 2019 season, there was some question if Haskins understood the time commitment required for an NFL passer. It's also fair to ask if he was really even being told what to expect, as he mostly languished on the bench until Jay Gruden was fired in October. 

Asked about Haskins' development later in the season, O'Connell talked about learning what it takes to be a professional. In an ESPN story, Haskins talked about the influence Alex Smith had, showing him what days to lift weights and what days to watch film.

All of those little things matter in the NFL, especially at the most important position in sports. 

Rivera and his new staff will be watching for all the little things too. New quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese is famously detailed oriented, and he will demand the same from Haskins. 

As much as the next few months will be slow on the Redskins calendar, for Haskins, they better not be. 

The reality of the situation is Bruce Allen drafted him, and Bruce Allen is gone. Reports show that Snyder also loved Haskins, but if O'Connell's departure, along with Allen and long-time trainer Larry Hess, Snyder is letting Rivera run his own show. 

Impress the new coach, and things should be fine, even if there is a veteran to compete against in OTAs and training camp. 

Leave the coach wondering about leadership potential, and things could get interesting. There will be more starting-caliber free agent quarterbacks on the market this spring than normal, and that could mean real competition for Haskins. With Smith's $22 million salary on the books for 2020, the Redskins won't be able to afford much for a free agent signal caller, but that doesn't mean bargains won't be available. 

And then there's the draft. 

Odds are high that the Redskins take Ohio State pass rusher Chase Young with the No. 2 overall pick. Right now it seems crazy not to, but the draft is more than four months away. 

The Redskins front office are not Rivera guys, even if he's spoken highly of recent draft classes. Rivera did not take Haskins, and judging by comments, the coach is going to wait to form his opinion on the passer. 

Could a quarterback like Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa or Georgia's Jake Fromm interest Rivera? Remember, he's in charge now, and so far has been given free rein to overhaul the Washington organization. Maybe that means he wants his own QB. 

It seems very far-fetched right now. Haskins looked quite good in his final six quarters of 2019 before an ankle injury ended his season prematurely. 

Haskins is very likely the guy for 2020. More than likely really. 

But last week there was no doubt that Haskins was the guy. A week later, and between Rivera's words and his actions, a little bit of doubt has emerged. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I don't think there was a ton of support here for Haskins even after that stretch.

Many of us thought he bought himself a chance. And he absolutely did. His improvement at the end of the year was tenfold. He was exciting to watch in those last couple of games he played. But the sample size is still the sample size and its something that needs to continue to be built upon.

I agree, the twitter messages, the selfie in the stands, the "Dan" told me not to go in stuff all adds up. Maturity and focus. Dwayne seems a little giddy and that's all well and good but it might not be what the new coach is looking for. The QB is the leader of the team and the position calls for professionalism, discipline, respect and commitment to the craft and team. These are areas that Dwayne needs to prove himself in addition to performance on the field. Tweeting out stuff about signing Coach Ocho Cinco is not the right way to make an impression on the new staff in my opinion. Even AP had to publicly call out Haskins about getting his nose into the play book and studying it. There are several examples already of his immaturity or lack of focus on his craft.

Rivera's said other QBs on the roster will get a chance to play.  I hope that isn't a sign of ignorance of the Skins, cause excepting a guy who may never play again we don't have other QBs.

I hope Haskins wins it, just for costs sake.  We have enough money invested in QB without trying to pay another starter level player

Asked what he wants from Haskins, Rivera didn't mince words. 

"He’s going to have to step up and become a leader. All the great ones have become leaders and they’ve become leaders whether they’re rookies or they’re 10-,12-year vets," the coach said. "You’ve got to step up, you’ve got to be where you need to be, you’ve got to do things you’re supposed to do. That’s all going to start with your offseason, how you prepare yourself, how do you get yourself ready."

"You've got to be where you need to be".

Seems like RR was an interested observer when Dwayne was in the stands taking selfies when he should've been out on the field in victory formation. 

Meets the old adage: "Be your best, You never know who's watching you".

Is it possible this is smoke and mirrors to put doubt in the minds of other teams so that we can maximize our ability to leverage the #2 for multiple picks?

If everyone believes that there's no way the Redskins are picking QB then you really don't have much leverage.

The Tony Pauline Mailbag

Tony, do you have any insight into if new head coach Ron Rivera is comfortable with Dwayne Haskins? What about the New York Giants now that they have hired Joe Judge? Any chance they pull a Kliff Kingsbury?

I’m told two things about Rivera and the Redskins front office the way it is presently assembled: 1) they like Haskins; and 2) they love the Predator, Chase Young.

I think there is no way and no reason for the Giants to consider moving away from Daniel Jones.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/tony-pauline-mailbag-which-2020-nfl-draft-prospect-do-redskins-love/

4 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Is it possible this is smoke and mirrors to put doubt in the minds of other teams so that we can maximize our ability to leverage the #2 for multiple picks?

If everyone believes that there's no way the Redskins are picking QB then you really don't have much leverage.

That's a bit too conspiracy-ish.

I gather this is more about what Ron has heard and observed pertaining to Dwayne.  He's putting it out there and seeing if Dwayne takes the bait.  Hopefully he does.

as he said, he thought the game was over.  I actually went back and looked at Moreau's INT to see if that was reasonable and it may have been.  The play started with 8 seconds on the clock and didn't move at all throughout the entire play

11 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Sure.

But distance yourself from being a fan.

If you're the head coach of the Washington Redskins... You are tasked with turning the franchise around...

You look at Dwayne Haskins.

Does he inspire complete and total confidence that he is undoubtedly the franchise guy?

You had no prior relationship with the team. You're coming in fresh. You're observing from the film. No prior knowledge of discussions or anything. Just what you see and what has been passed along to you.

I don't think this is smoke and mirrors. I think it's honest. I'd have a ton of questions about him.

That also doesn't mean I'd write him off. But I sure as hell wouldn't have his name in ink at QB1.

Pencil... but not ink.

And that's why this is smart. One of his knocks could be seen as maturity. Being where you need to be as well.

So, what do you do? Let him know that he isn't being handed anything. That he'll need to work. And push. And establish himself in many ways.

His reaction will go a long, LONG way in influencing Rivera's decision.

In all fairness his options should be open. I want and expect for Haskins to win it (personally, cause it puts us in a better of two ****ty positions financially) but I would be ok if he didnt. I just wants success at the position. 

The main thing I was always for when it comes to a good rookie QB (or qb on a rookie deal) is the ability to financially do what you want on other places of the team while getting good play from that position. The Smith deal ****s that all up for us, though, if we cant get out of it. 

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That's a bit too conspiracy-ish.

I gather this is more about what Ron has heard and observed pertaining to Dwayne.  He's putting it out there and seeing if Dwayne takes the bait.  Hopefully he does.

So if its a test I get it otherwise I would hope he would just tell Dwayne what he expects and not use the media to deliver his message.

That's the kind of crap we've been dealing with as Redskins fans for the last 10 years. Media leaks, back stabbings, etc.

11 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

So if its a test I get it otherwise I would hope he would just tell Dwayne what he expects and not use the media to deliver his message.

That's the kind of crap we've been dealing with as Redskins fans for the last 10 years. Media leaks, back stabbings, etc.

I don't think it was necessarily RR using the media to deliver a message. That was a Bruce thing. I think it's more RR simply being honest when asked a question. Watching some of his Carolina pressers on youtube, he really just seems like a straightforward and honest guy. If he's asked a question that he can answer, most of the time he'll answer it pretty openly. I think we're so used to having such slimy people in the FO who always had ulterior motives for how and why they did things that we're a bit on guard about it...understandably so. I just don't really feel like there's a bunch of subterfuge here. He was asked his opinion on Haskins, and he gave it. 

18 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I mean, what makes you think his feelings weren't conveyed to Dwayne in a much more direct way?

And, to be honest, if this whole thing is a test, you don't tell Haskins he's being tested. You see what his natural reaction is.

Frustrated? Fine. Upset? Okay. As long as he puts the time in to prove that he's worth investing in, he can be as upset and frustrated as he wants. No scenes, of course. But a chip on his shoulder would be okay.

Pouty and whiney is a different story. And we have no idea how this will play out.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I mean, what makes you think his feelings weren't conveyed to Dwayne in a much more direct way?

I 100% believe he made his thoughts very clear to Dwayne, that's why I don't understand why he would make them public unless it was to create draft leverage.

I guess using the media to stress test Dwayne's maturity could be worthy, its a bit unconventional but if it works then great.

Archived