Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Situations will dictate Haskins chances to win the job. He won me over towards the end of the season, but I can't sit here and say I'm enamored with him, or comfortable with the quarterback position.

If Cincy takes Chase Young and there is a quarterback on the board... if I'm Ron Rivera I am thinking VERY hard about drafting Joe Burrows unless Haskins comes into OTAs, has almost unanimous support from his teammates (there's always a naysayer... always), knows the playbook and has seriously worked on mechanics and impressed me completely.

If that scenario doesn't occur, and the Skins take Young, it's much less of a threat to Haskins. 

Free agency has a lot of options, too. But are any of the ones that the Skins would go after true competition for Haskins? That's the other question. If Smith stays on the books its difficult to invest in another big money guy that may not win the job. So your Drew Brees' are out in that scenario. If Smith is off, and Brees isn't retained by NO, a guy like Brees is in play as a one year stop gap to allow Haskins to sit. Then the question becomes: How does Haskins deal with that adversity? I have a feeling he wouldn't take it well. Keep in mind I'm not suggesting that has a high chance of happening. But it's something to think about.

The team can also opt to bring in a guy like Marcus Mariota to compete for the job. Haskins would be the penciled in starter in that scenario as we kind of know what Mariota is, and we'd have an adequate backup on the roster for fringe starter money.

There are so many different roads this team can go down in so many different scenarios. It's tough to even think about them given our current situation.

If I had to guess, right now, the job is Haskins' to lose. If he makes poor decisions/doesn't put in the work, though, Rivera won't be afraid to shake things up. And the more mistakes he makes, the less favor he has. He will be on a short leash.

Yeah, if Burrow is there and we take him, sorry but I ain't fighting that after what I've seen from dude 

11 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The way some fans get so defensive over the mildest of criticisms (like in the Keim tweets above) is baffling to me.  RG3 didn't get this much love after the 2012 season and he led us to a division title.

That's what I cant figure out. RGIII got pulverized lol. This town is bipolar as hell

10 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

He’s been pretty supportive of Haskins actually. He’s just saying what he’s been told about Haskins work ethic and entitlement aren’t going to align with Ron’s expectations barring major changes. The kid is 22 and his relationship with the owner probably distorted his perceived importance. Ron will put him in his place and coach him up, but it’s up to Haskins to buy in. If Shawn Springs is really his mentor, he should have a real conversation with him about what’s about to hit him. He’s not getting multiple chances with Ron.

"Ron will put him in his place" Interesting choice of words.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

That's what I cant figure out. RGIII got pulverized lol. This town is bipolar as hell

Not really until 'all in for week 1' was a straight dude and it was all downhill from there.  Prior to that, everyone was rolling out the red carpet for dude.

I also think the segment of the fanbase that doesn't want to hear an iota of negativity about Haskins is more loud than they are large.  You will always have the happy go-luckies that wear blinders when looking at any red flags.

9 hours ago, goskins10 said:

OK, so both of you must have read the first sentence then stopped and gone off to get the info. I am quite well aware of what they define it as now and wrote it at least twice in my comment. 

My point was if you read past not sure how, the range has moved over time to the point where the original meaning of the term has been lost. If it's 18 yrs after the war that birth rates are higher, than it[s not the ****ing war that caused it! LOL  When I was 10 - in 1970 - the range was from 1946 to 1958. Somehow it has artificially been changed to 1946 to 1964 - just in the last 10 to 15 yrs.  

This requires its own thread. I think there was generations thread; maybe even by me.

53 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If I had to guess, right now, the job is Haskins' to lose. If he makes poor decisions/doesn't put in the work, though, Rivera won't be afraid to shake things up. And the more mistakes he makes, the less favor he has. He will be on a short leash.

Anyone who has an issue with this is not a fan of the Redskins, but a fan of Haskins.  This is how it should be with a new coach with the power (it appears) Rivera has.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

My concern isn't Haskins "earning" the job.

Its whether Rivera will let him earn it.

He has a reputation as a fair players coach that plays the best players on his team, no agendas (which cannot be said for the last several coaches we've had, all of whom have been offensive minded).

I think he earned it with the last staff cutting him off at the knees, and with a staff that will give every fair opportunity to get it and keep it, he will indeed do just that.

Why the angst?

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

Situations will dictate Haskins chances to win the job. He won me over towards the end of the season, but I can't sit here and say I'm enamored with him, or comfortable with the quarterback position.

If Cincy takes Chase Young and there is a quarterback on the board... if I'm Ron Rivera I am thinking VERY hard about drafting Joe Burrows unless Haskins comes into OTAs, has almost unanimous support from his teammates (there's always a naysayer... always), knows the playbook and has seriously worked on mechanics and impressed me completely.

If that scenario doesn't occur, and the Skins take Young, it's much less of a threat to Haskins. 

Free agency has a lot of options, too. But are any of the ones that the Skins would go after true competition for Haskins? That's the other question. If Smith stays on the books its difficult to invest in another big money guy that may not win the job. So your Drew Brees' are out in that scenario. If Smith is off, and Brees isn't retained by NO, a guy like Brees is in play as a one year stop gap to allow Haskins to sit. Then the question becomes: How does Haskins deal with that adversity? I have a feeling he wouldn't take it well. Keep in mind I'm not suggesting that has a high chance of happening. But it's something to think about.

The team can also opt to bring in a guy like Marcus Mariota to compete for the job. Haskins would be the penciled in starter in that scenario as we kind of know what Mariota is, and we'd have an adequate backup on the roster for fringe starter money.

There are so many different roads this team can go down in so many different scenarios. It's tough to even think about them given our current situation.

This post is really intriguing in that I'm thinking about the possibility that RR and Turner Jr. are not thrilled with Haskins as their QB as opposed to one of the guys coming out in the draft. He is not their guy so we have to consider that they are sitting at #2 and, if they really like one of the guys coming out, they may want that guy. Also, do we read into the fact that RR moved on from KOC as offensive coordinator despite the progress he's made with DH? I'm thinking Chase Young is not a total slam dunk at #2 if RR and company aren't sold on DH.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

This post is really intriguing in that I'm thinking about the possibility that RR and Turner Jr. are not thrilled with Haskins as their QB as opposed to one of the guys coming out in the draft. He is not their guy so we have to consider that they are sitting at #2 and, if they really like one of the guys coming out, they may want that guy. Also, do we read into the fact that RR moved on from KOC as offensive coordinator despite the progress he's made with DH? I'm thinking Chase Young is not a total slam dunk at #2 if RR and company aren't sold on DH.

Ron wants to win now. I don’t think he is interested in a rookie. It would not surprise me if we acquired Brees or Bridgewater depending on which one the Saints keep.

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Ron wants to win now. I don’t think he is interested in a rookie. It would not surprise me if we acquired Brees or Bridgewater depending on which one the Saints keep.

Now that's another thing I never considered....I hope it's not Bridgewater....How bout Brady while we're looking at options?

I hope that the pages I missed are loaded with crow consumption. I’d rather have Lock or Rosen, but Haskins proved that he can make plays in the league, & he’s younger than super hero Joe Burrow, who was average last year while DH shredded NCAA defenses.

43CD63CF-E69B-4DD7-9299-CFBCA4DBEE8A.gif

Just now, kingdaddy said:

Now that's another thing I never considered....I hope it's not Bridgewater....How bout Brady while we're looking at options?

Bridgewater worked with Scott and Norv in Minnesota. Scott apparently likes him.

No chance Brady comes here in my opinion. I think he ends up with the Chargers and opens that stadium. 

Phillip Rivera will be available along with Eli, Keenum and most likely Cam.

Probably more veteran QBs than most years will hit the market.

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

Bridgewater worked with Scott and Norv in Minnesota. Scott apparently likes him.

No chance Brady comes here in my opinion. I think he ends up with the Chargers and opens that stadium. 

man, you're killing me....You're taking this into an entirely different stratosphere that I'm not ready for.

So Bridgewater and Chase Young then?

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

man, you're killing me....You're taking this into an entirely different stratosphere that I'm not ready for.

So Bridgewater and Chase Young then?

Ron is not passing on Chase Young for a QB and he’s not tying his fortune to
Haskins. He will have a legitimate veteran capable of starting and competing with Haskins. If the financials can be worked out I am sure Scott would love to have Teddy. Dan would buy into that in a split second.

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

The Bears are likely to make a push for Brady if they can work out the money. SD makes a lot of sense.

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The Bears are likely to make a push for Brady if they can work out the money. SD makes a lot of sense.

If Brady leaves NE, I'd guess he'd head to LAC. Though, I wouldn't rule out Vegas because Gruden is a psychopath.

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Ron is not passing on Chase Young for a QB and he’s not tying his fortune to
Haskins. He will have a legitimate veteran capable of starting and competing with Haskins. If the financials can be worked out I am sure Scott would love to have Teddy. Dan would buy into that in a split second.

This is a totally sick thought, but what would this fan base do if RR brought in Eli Manning for a year or two until he thought DH was fully ready to take over? 

Eli knows the division and has two rings.....Ron said he's not a patient guy and wants to win now. Sorry...but you got me thinking now.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If Brady leaves NE, I'd guess he'd head to LAC. Though, I wouldn't rule out Vegas because Gruden is a psychopath.

He lived in Brentwood for years which is a neighborhood in LA. LA makes a lot of sense because Giselle and his kids like it. NFL and Chargers also want a splash to get celebrities out to the new stadium. There is a ton of buzz about it out here. Might be wishful thinking on the part of Chargers fans but it wouldn’t be shocking.

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

He lived in Brentwood for years which is a neighborhood in LA. LA makes a lot of sense because Giselle and his kids like it. NFL and Chargers also want a splash to get celebrities out to the new stadium. There is a ton of buzz about it out here. Might be wishful thinking on the part of Chargers fans but it wouldn’t be shocking.

it also would likely rejuvenate Brady's career a bit....leading the Chargers into that new stadium. Then only thing bigger and better would be Vegas, Gruden and the Raiders. I could see that too. That would be pretty cool. 

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

This is a totally sick thought, but what would this fan base do if RR brought in Eli Manning for a year or two until he thought DH was fully ready to take over? 

Eli knows the division and has two rings.....Ron said he's not a patient guy and wants to win now. Sorry...but you got me thinking now.

That’s what Gibbs did with Brunell. People were pissed off Patrick Ramsey never got a fair shake then he drafted Campbell as his QB.  History can easily repeat with Haskins. People are laughing about missing the introductory press conference but it will have an impact on the decision making.

We are 8 weeks away from free agency and no real reason for Haskins to be at Redskins park other than getting treatment on the ankle. The first impression was not good because he was not there. There is not much that he can do before free agency to build confidence in himself with Ron. His tweets, Instagram posts and anything else that brings attention will be under scrutiny.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Haskins was the quarterback.

I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't.

If you're a Haskins or nothing kinda guy, hold on to your shorts :ols:

He will be given a chance to compete For sure but there will be a QB capable of starting and winning for Ron on the roster in addition to Haskins. That you can bank on.

Archived