Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

@Llevron  Paying big money to the QB is a detriment to the team. This is something that @volsmet and I have both been saying for awhile now. 

The Patriots won with a guy many consider to be the greatest of all time. That guy, while paid well, is being paid less than:

Russell Wilson

And as much as I like this guy, he is the perfect example of this. Look how much harder it has been for them compared to when he was making pennies. Back in the day, the squad he was on was stacked to the point all he had to do was manage the game and occasionally make a play that only he could. And it worked to a Superbowl. Now they have been back since giving him the contract, and im not sure what his cap hit was that year, but there is no doubt his rookie contract gave them flexibility they would not have had otherwise, AND that flexibility gave him a much better team to work with. 

Right now they go as he does, which is not a horrible position to be in with him. But hes one of the best in a decade of football. Its hard to be in a bad position with him on your squad. Any of those lesser names with his contract on his current team and they dont make the playoffs. Probably. 

Jackson is going to be another great example of this. The cool thing is Baltimore knows it. I cant wait to see what they do. They are loyal to a fault as they pay guys who earn it even if they know its wrong. But they always find a way to fix it. Im excited to see how they do it. 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

RE: Smith, part of me thinks it would be an incredible moment if he were to come in for relief, tear the league apart and change the entire story for his tenure in DC. It would be an awesome story. But then I realize the reality of that is similar to how real Star Wars is. :ols:

I would be cool to see. Hes a cool guy too so the city would really dig it. 

Sidenote: The Jedi died for you to be free. The least you could do it believe in our existence. 

We aren't going to the SB next year so it feels kinda dumb to be making reservations, much the same way committing a ton of cap space to a FA QB would be. Build the roster, let Haskins learn under new tutelage, fix the D (which to me seems to most doable thing possible this year).

Rivera is a DI, this year is gonna be boot camp. Some of that is gonna be boot-in-the-ass camp. 

Personally, I can accept topping out at .500 if we accomplish other things, 50/50 or better in the division, take the D into the top 10 maybe, but listen to the DI, it's a process. We need to do things that others don't, that ole "culture change" thing, the media perception thing, the fan perception thing, I'm willing to just ride with it and see what happens.

3 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Personally, I can accept topping out at .500 if we accomplish other things, 50/50 or better in the division, take the D into the top 10 maybe, but listen to the DI, it's a process. We need to do things that others don't, that ole "culture change" thing, the media perception thing, the fan perception thing, I'm willing to just ride with it and see what happens.

Honestly that sounds great to me for year 1. I am an easy target I guess cause I would be happy just seeing them clean out all the people who aint with it and playing hard every game. Record be damned, if they win only 1 and every team we play feels us, im fine with building on that. Just dont roll over once. Give me that. 

Yes. Be like the 2004 Skins. Best crappiest team I ever saw. Fought the **** out of everyone,  ripping teeth out of flesh, etc, only to lose in the 4th because we didnt have the horses.

But holy crap did we take the great teams to our own personal circle of Hell before they were allowed to pass. And we were AWFUL (on offense and sp teams, defense was nuclear).

I don’t know who was listening to Chad Dukes show this afternoon, but JP Finlay said next week there will be new info coming out that RR is a big fan of Haskins. Not sure what that means or how this information will be released. Seems like an odd statement.  

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

Enjoy yourself Dwayne until it’s back to work.

UNTIL it’s back to work? No no no, he should be at the facility right now, in the rehab room. If he was too injured to play week 17 @ Dallas, he’s too injured to be out at a basketball game. He should also be meeting with Ron (or Rivera, or RR, whichever name you prefer( every single day to go over every single detail, no matter if it’s offseason! What a diva 

did i get that right? :P 

Does anyone remember if drafting Dwayne was just a Gruden vs Snyder thing or did Snyder have more football personnel people in his corner than just himself? 

I remember Gruden not wanting Haskins, but I don't recall hearing anything about Kyle Smith. I just remember all of us getting a little nervous because the coach didn't want him and Snyder took him anyways. Now that Gruden is gone, I kind of want to revisit this and see if there's any info on Snyder pulling the trigger by himself, or if it was just Gruden not wanting to develop a new QB. 

6 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Does anyone remember if drafting Dwayne was just a Gruden vs Snyder thing or did Snyder have more football personnel people in his corner than just himself? 

I remember Gruden not wanting Haskins, but I don't recall hearing anything about Kyle Smith. I just remember all of us getting a little nervous because the coach didn't want him and Snyder took him anyways. Now that Gruden is gone, I kind of want to revisit this and see if there's any info on Snyder pulling the trigger by himself, or if it was just Gruden not wanting to develop a new QB. 

Seemed to me Gruden never particularly wanted to groom anyone. He was out to save Gruden, only his choices never made any damn sense. Manusky? Benching AP and calling it a Special Trams reason? His Colt worship? I look back through all this time and think not only was he a bad HC, but he was a reallyrealllllly bad HC.

Jay may get a small pass on not wanting to develop a QB.... when he got here he was in the middle of a QB.... struggle lets call it.  He lobbied for Kirk and then Bruce fumbled him away faster than Cousins could fumble away any more games.  So he probably knew if he did set out to develop someone, Dan would interject and draft someone else, or we'd lose him.  The dysfunction he faced had to be off the charts.  No wonder he smoke and drank.

What was more mind numbing was his love for the noddle armed injury prone Coltmesiter.  Maybe Colt had those pictures heh.

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Jay may get a small pass on not wanting to develop a QB.... when he got here he was in the middle of a QB.... struggle lets call it.  He lobbied for Kirk and then Bruce fumbled him away faster than Cousins could fumble away any more games.  So he probably knew if he did set out to develop someone, Dan would interject and draft someone else, or we'd lose him.  The dysfunction he faced had to be off the charts.  No wonder he smoke and drank.

What was more mind numbing was his love for the noddle armed injury prone Coltmesiter.  Maybe Colt had those pictures heh.

Jay didn't want to groom a quarterback because he knew if he didn't win he was a goner. And Haskins was so raw, as we saw, that Jay would have been fired a game or two into the season if he was the day 1 starter.

The front office really put Haskins and Gruden in a bad spot when they decided to keep him as the head coach in 2019. 

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Jay didn't want to groom a quarterback because he knew if he didn't win he was a goner. And Haskins was so raw, as we saw, that Jay would have been fired a game or two into the season if he was the day 1 starter.

The front office really put Haskins and Gruden in a bad spot when they decided to keep him as the head coach in 2019. 

They had no plan whatsoever for either guy. That’s the Qb and the HC. The front office had zero plan for these guys past the exact moment they were living in. 

Its no wonder we are where we are 

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Well,. that was this year. The only other chance he had to groom was that one that went to Philly and got a ring.

Agree about the put into a bad spot, and Haskins may remain in that bad spot facing a new OC playbook and head coach, which we all knew was inevitable. It's almost like Haskins should have spent this year studying other teams playbooks for they were more likely to be used this year, than Jay's.

RR may be in a bad spot himself if Haskins has struggles... and all signs point to not selecting a QB this year.

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Well,. that was this year. The only other chance he had to groom was that one that went to Philly and got a ring.

Agree about the put into a bad spot, and Haskins may remain in that bad spot facing a new OC playbook and head coach, which we all knew was inevitable. It's almost like Haskins should have spent this year studying other teams playbooks for they were more likely to be used this year, than Jay's.

RR may be in a bad spot himself if Haskins has struggles... and all signs point to not selecting a QB this year.

There are plenty of FA options. Rivera/Turner will not go into the season with Haskins as the only option. Write it in stone.

32 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

After watching Burrow take apart defenses by Saban, Steele, and Venable I'd trade every QB on the roster, a 2020 3rd rounder, and a 2021 2nd rounder to swap picks with Cincy and get him.  That kid is going to be an assassin at the position.  Nothing gets to him.  He can beat you with his mind or his body.  Last year I was campaigning to load up on picks for this year.  The 2019 draft was weak on QB's.  Burrow is a franchise changing QB.  What in the hell was OSU thinking to let him go!?!? They'd have been National Champs this year.  

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

There are plenty of FA options. Rivera/Turner will not go into the season with Haskins as the only option. Write it in stone.

I get the sense Alex Smith and Haskins have all but firmed up our game day roster.  We will most certainly have a 3rd QB in the fold of course but if its a vet I am thinking closer to a Colt McCoy vs a Cam Newton / Teddy Bridgewater bigger name. We just don't have the cap space to load up at QB further in 2020.

I remembered the name.... Sudsy!

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I get the sense Alex Smith and Haskins have all but firmed up our game day roster.  We will most certainly have a 3rd QB in the fold of course but if its a vet I am thinking closer to a Colt McCoy vs a Cam Newton / Teddy Bridgewater bigger name. We just don't have the cap space to load up at QB further in 2020.

I remembered the name.... Sudsy!

Im not sure why people think Smith is going to play. I mean, it’s possible, but I’d also say it’s probably more likely he retires and takes a job in the FO making some asinine figure to clear the books.

19 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

After watching Burrow take apart defenses by Saban, Steele, and Venable I'd trade every QB on the roster, a 2020 3rd rounder, and a 2021 2nd rounder to swap picks with Cincy and get him.  That kid is going to be an assassin at the position.  Nothing gets to him.  He can beat you with his mind or his body.  Last year I was campaigning to load up on picks for this year.  The 2019 draft was weak on QB's.  Burrow is a franchise changing QB.  What in the hell was OSU thinking to let him go!?!? They'd have been National Champs this year.  

I do think we were foolish to not trade Trent Norman and even Kerrigan. Especially foolish to not recoup a pick after using our 2020 2 on a tradeup. Dan would probably not allow it, but we only get a chance to draft a top tier stud QB once every 10 - 20 years (short of grossly overpaying to move up).

This is one of those years. There is much uncertainty as to Haskins's's development and i hope years from now we don't look a back at this draft as the one that got away. Chase is great but he doesn't play QB. We can eek out a game manager type but we have higher expectations. RR is a good coach and will likely get us to 7-9 and the middle of the first round... drafting hell. 

@KDawg I predict Alex will be our backup next year and then segue right into our front office / QB coach. I think we can all agree he seems very driven to come back in some capacity.  He will be leaving an awful lot of money on the table, to retire, correct?

Archived