Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Thinking about our situation after watching the game yesterday and seeing trends around the league... I'm actually pretty happy Haskins seems to be a boom or bust-type QB.  Haskins just doesn't strike me as the type to hover around the average level for years.  Either he hits and we're set with a top 10 QB for the next 15 years, or he busts and we start over with a clean break.  I would hate to be in the QB purgatory position the 49ers, Bears, Raiders, etc. are in, where the QB is average at best and it's unlikely you'll win the SB with him, but there's a significant risk to moving on and ending up in a much worse position than before.   And even if you did decide to move on, it's extremely tough to do so because you're likely too good to finish with a top 10 pick.

I don't know if he deserves to start or not.  I hope he does start though because I think we need to take a chance on him and I think it would be demoralizing for the team for someone that was showing promise at the end to be benched (unless whoever is replacing him is lighting it up but can't imagine that happening).  I hope they give it a while.  I think in some ways Rivera will be tempted just like Gruden with wanting to win now but I hope they hold out and give him a chance.  It might end up being the wrong choice since Haskins has looked so bad at times but I think it is the right choice at this moment.  Give him a chance to prove it and not give him a quick hook if it is going south at first.  I think one thing in Haskins favor is that all the QBs will be learning a new offense (unless Rivera brings in a Carolina retread).

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Thinking about our situation after watching the game yesterday and seeing trends around the league... I'm actually pretty happy Haskins seems to be a boom or bust-type QB.  Haskins just doesn't strike me as the type to hover around the average level for years.  Either he hits and we're set with a top 10 QB for the next 15 years, or he busts and we start over with a clean break.  I would hate to be in the QB purgatory position the 49ers, Bears, Raiders, etc. are in, where the QB is average at best and it's unlikely you'll win the SB with him, but there's a significant risk to moving on and ending up in a much worse position than before.   And even if you did decide to move on, it's extremely tough to do so because you're likely too good to finish with a top 10 pick.

I don't know I could easily see him being a Trebisky or Bortles type. I don't think Haskins will ever be in the league MVP top 3 QB mix. His ceiling is probably in that second tier Kirk Cousins level. You can still win with a guy like that though.

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know I could easily see him being a Trebisky or Bortles type. I don't think Haskins will ever be in the league MVP top 3 QB mix. His ceiling is probably in that second tier Kirk Cousins level. You can still win with a guy like that though.

If Haskins is Bortles, he'd be a bust and we can move on relatively quickly.  I think his style of play is about as far from Trubisky as you can get, but I understand what you mean.  I personally consider Trubisky a bust and a lost cause, so if Haskins becomes that, I'd have no problem moving on.  

I disagree on his ceiling.  He has the arm talent that Cousins can only dream of.  If he gets his mechanics and footwork right, and excels at his pre and post-snap reads as he gets comfortable in the new system, his ceiling is a top 5 QB in this league.

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

If Haskins is Bortles, he'd be a bust and we can move on relatively quickly.  I think his style of play is about as far from Trubisky as you can get, but I understand what you mean.  I personally consider Trubisky a bust and a lost cause, so if Haskins becomes that, I'd have no problem moving on.  

I disagree on his ceiling.  He has the arm talent that Cousins can only dream of.  If he gets his mechanics and footwork right, and excels at his pre and post-snap reads as he gets comfortable in the new system, his ceiling is a top 5 QB in this league.

In Blake Bortles second season he threw for 4400 yards, 35 TDs and 18 picks. He was under 60% completions which was maybe a warning sign - but I bet Jags fans thought they were set for a decade at QB at that point.

Same with Mariota at the Titans. 26 TDs only 9 picks in his second year. 

We should know a lot more about Haskins at the end of next season, but the book will not be written at that point.

I just can't understand the opinion that it had already been determined Haskins is a bust.  He showed progress in every start ( just like he did in college).  I think he's going to very good, but I'm certain his future is yet to be determined.  I fully expect he will be the starter this year and we will know a lot more about his potential this time next year.  If he is as bad as some claim, we should have a pretty early pick again next year.

27 minutes ago, MartinC said:

In Blake Bortles second season he threw for 4400 yards, 35 TDs and 18 picks. He was under 60% completions which was maybe a warning sign - but I bet Jags fans thought they were set for a decade at QB at that point.

Same with Mariota at the Titans. 26 TDs only 9 picks.

We should know a lot more about Haskins at the end of next season, but the book will not be written at that point.

Very true that the book will not be completely written, but we should still have a pretty good sense of the player he will likely become.  With regard to Bortles, it was obvious when looking past the stat sheet that the guy just didn't have it.  He was known as the king of garbage time, evidenced here:

Blake Bortles Is The Tom Brady Of Garbage Time

On the surface, the Jacksonville Jaguars’ signal-caller fits the profile of a perfectly mediocre NFL quarterback. But the traditional stats don’t show the true Bortles: He is the NFL’s best when the game is basically over. In garbage time — which we define as the last five minutes of the fourth quarter, when a team is down multiple scores (9 or more points) — Bortles transforms into the franchise quarterback Jacksonville envisioned when they made him the No. 3 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. In these scenarios in the past two seasons, Bortles has completed 78 of 118 for 964 yards with 12 touchdowns. He’s tossed only four picks. His passer rating in these instances is 111. To get a sense of how good that is, Tom Brady’s rating across all of last season was 112.

Since 2015, 20.7 percent of Bortles’s total touchdown passes have come when the fans are heading for the exits. That’s nearly four times the average for the rest of the league. It’s done little to help the fortunes of the Jags, who have won eight games in the last two seasons and failed to come back in any of the 15 where they were trailing big late. So his body of garbage-time work has been meaningless to everyone except his fantasy owners.

The only thing Bortles is as good at as posting garbage-time numbers is creating garbage time with his lackluster play in meaningful time. According to ESPN data, last year when a team was within one score (8 or fewer points) in the first half of games — one of the situations in which the game’s outcome is most uncertain — Bortles was the worst quarterback in football. He completed 96 of 158 passes (60.8 percent) last year for 963 yards and just five touchdowns versus eight picks. His rating in these situations was just 67.6. What’s more, in the past two years, Bortles has thrown only half as many touchdown passes in the first quarter of all games (six) as he threw in the last five minutes of games he had already lost.

It may seem like any quarterback would be more productive when opponents are easing into a prevent defense and beginning to daydream about their next game. But in the last two seasons, the average non-Bortles QB saw his rating increase only marginally in these scenarios, 2.4 percent. Bortles’s rating jumps 37.9 percent.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

Yeah - but key above is ‘since 2015’. 2015 was his second year. 

He regressed badly after year 2, as did Mariota.

I do agree though we will have a much better sense of what we have at the end of next season.

Mariota has had pretty much the same passer rating throughout his career (other than his 3rd year). It’s not all about TD/INT ratio. He was never really considered one of the best young QBs in the league from what I remember. 

Regarding Bortles... Look at the chart, it’s including 2015:

Bortles is at his best when it matters least …

Projected 2017 starters based on their performance in garbage time (GT) compared to non-garbage time, 2015-2016

6 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Exactly why we didn’t give cousins the bank

For the unimpressed, doubters, and naysayers: Until it’s proven he isn’t “The One” how about we 1000% support this guy these next two years. Get behind this young man with support and maybe just maybe he’s able to reach our lofty expectations.  

Griping and hating every step of the way only to have an “epiphany” if he does prove to be the goods seems kinda sad to me.  I’m convinced he has top tier QB talent and just because he may not have known how to be an NFL QB on day one, doesn’t mean I have to hate on and doubt the dude at every turn. Just something to consider as we continue this road trip..✌🏽

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Mariota has had pretty much the same passer rating throughout his career (other than his 3rd year). It’s not all about TD/INT ratio. He was never really considered one of the best young QBs in the league from what I remember. 

I remember the talk for both the Jags and Titans after 2015 and 2016 respectively was they had found their QB and needed to build around him. Mariota was a pro bowl alternate in 2017 (which is pretty amazing when you look at his stats from that year - not that stats tell you everything as you point out).

Let’s hope Haskins continues on the trajectory he ended 2019. We are way past due a good break at the QB spot.

I'm curious, as I haven't followed their play or careers especially closely, just casually...with Bortles and Mariota were there any similar warning signs that their 2nd years were smoke and mirrors and that they weren't actually as good as some of their stats said?

7 minutes ago, checmate21 said:

I'm so ready for my guy to get ready and get it going..to hush all the non believers from fans of the Redskins and not fans of the Redskins..LETS GET IT 

I hope your guy isn't Haskins. He is a classic real good college QB, not ready for Sunday football. Sorry. I hope Rivera has a thick tongue because he will be biting it often as he sends Haskins out there game after game as per the contract he signed with His Highness Snyder. "Haskins or bust".

1 hour ago, Smurf3 said:

I hope your guy isn't Haskins. He is a classic real good college QB, not ready for Sunday football. Sorry. I hope Rivera has a thick tongue because he will be biting it often as he sends Haskins out there game after game as per the contract he signed with His Highness Snyder. "Haskins or bust".

Haskins IS my guy. Ready for him to get rolling

17 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

For the unimpressed, doubters, and naysayers: Until it’s proven he isn’t “The One” how about we 1000% support this guy these next two years. Get behind this young man with support and maybe just maybe he’s able to reach our lofty expectations.  

Griping and hating every step of the way only to have an “epiphany” if he does prove to be the goods seems kinda sad to me.  I’m convinced he has top tier QB talent and just because he may not have known how to be an NFL QB on day one, doesn’t mean I have to hate on and doubt the dude at every turn. Just something to consider as we continue this road trip..✌🏽

I completely agree that we need to get behind him.  But I think he is only going to get this year to prove his worth.  Still a couple of things that impressed me about him besides the strength of his arm is that he is more mobile then I thought and that is important quality in todays league. These D players are super athletic and quick and QB's need to be able to avoid the swarm sometimes.   Plus he improved every single game.  With coaching in the offseason, getting with his WO's and throwing, and more stability and leadership I think he could have a solid year.

4 hours ago, Smurf3 said:

If you really think that Haskins' performance is going to have any bearing on Ron Rivera, who didn't even draft him, you're nuts.  

To me, Dwayne Haskins is still almost a complete question mark. His growth curve was impressive, but his sample size is so small that who knows what the reality is. My biggest worry is that he actually looks to run a bit too much. Right now, I think he thinks he's got much more athleticism than he has and while he certainly has more than the draft guides suggest (they described him as more of a statue than Dan Marino with two broken legs) he is not Watson, Rodgers, or even Cousins.

I think he can be our QB, but I also think he needs a better line, a tight end, and to up his game.

Here is the funny part.  Everyone is on the Burrow bandwagon.  Has anyone asked where was he in 2018?  Nowhere.  Same as Haskins really if you think about it.  The different is when Haskins went wild in his Junior year would you say he didn't have incredible receivers like Burrow had this year?  How many balls did Burrow throw up there and his receivers made the play?  Listen personally I never wanted us to draft Haskins because he just had that one year.  For my money the QB, if healthy in this year's draft is Tua.  He has proven over more than one season he is a special talent.  Lets give Haskins a chance.  Like another brother said he maybe the next Brady or totally bust.  it is worth it to find out

Archived