Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think we did. But we talk ourselves out of it. I thought Mahomes was damn good but I kept going back to “ya but Texas Tech. Dude is going to fail miserably in the NFL.”

This is why the “Top Prospect” stuff is such garbage. We have no idea. 

There’s guys I’ve believed in that others didn’t and they were great NFL guys. There’s guys I’ve believed in that others did too, and they stunk. There are guys I’ve looked at and thought “nope” and others agreed and they’re phenomenal. 

It’s a hit or miss game. 

The talk of a prospect being a top prospect is overrated and non sensical. People should focus more on how the player fits what they do.

We were too snakebit from RG3. There is no way Allen would have made a move for a similar type of QB(raw, talented, comes from funky scheme, etc.).

Also, Mahomes wouldn't be as good here. Andy Reid is arguably the GOAT QB coach and he's also throwing to a top 5 receiver and no worse than top 3 TE.

31 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We were too snakebit from RG3. There is no way Allen would have made a move for a similar type of QB(raw, talented, comes from funky scheme, etc.).

Also, Mahomes wouldn't be as good here. Andy Reid is arguably the GOAT QB coach and he's also throwing to a top 5 receiver and no worse than top 3 TE.

I think you missed my point. It has nothing to do with how good Mahomes would or wouldn’t be here.

Russell was talking about this (others who cover the team have made variations of the same point) last week and echoed Galid's point below about what he hears they think of Haskins.  The gist is he is very talented but they would like to see him work harder.  Russell got into specifics about how he rarely stayed late at the park.  The good news is Doug seems to be mentoring him and clearly he believes that Haskins working hard this off season will pay major dividends to reassuring the powers to be about him in the future. 

Al Galdi: Did Doug Williams Spill The Beans On How The Redskins Are Truly Viewing Dwayne Haskins?

Over the weekend, Redskins Senior Vice President of Player Development Doug Williams spoke to the media in Washington D.C. at the Qatar National Day of Sport event. Al Galdi is wondering if Doug Williams spilled the beans on how the Redskins are truly viewing Dwayne Haskins?

“I think what Dwayne (Haskins) has to do…he had opportunities I think last year where the coaches put their arms around him.” Williams told reporters.

“We’ve got a young kid here, I think he’s got to know that, ‘we want you to be good’. And the kid’s got so much ability man, it’s unbelievable. I think now with the new staff coming in and what he did towards  the end of the year, it’s going to give that staff the opportunity to say, ‘hey we got to work with this kid to get the best out of him’. I think that’s the positive part Dwayne has on his side.”

Williams was asked what Haskins needs to do in order to show he deserves to be the starter, “I think the new coaching staff knows at this point he’s the starting quarterback. The only thing that can happen here is that Dwayne Haskins gives it back to them.” Williams said.

“So it’s up to him to go out there and work his way on this offseason, and learn the playbook, get with the coaches, sit down and wear the coaches out. He’s got to stay at the facility until they run him out of the building. That’s the most important thing, you know all that other stuff shouldn’t matter to Dwayne at this point. It should be, ‘Coach what can I do, can I do this, can I do that?’ Until the coaches say, ‘Hey Dwayne we’re going to turn the lights out man, because we’re going home’.”

Galdi explains what Ron Rivera the Redskins want from Haskins when it comes to being the starter which is, Dwayne needs to show the work ethic and then the starting quarterback job will be his.

https://theteam980.com/133491/redskins-nfl-dwayne-haskins-doug-williams/?omcamp=es-team980-nl&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily Newsletter Send - Team980 2020-02-10&utm_term=Team980 ALL SUBSCRIBERS

Doug Williams needs to shut his trap, seriously he makes a fool of himself every time he opens his mouth, he is a liability who is being kept around out of charity and legacy and not what he offers the organization.  What happened to there being a one voice, coach centric culture?  At minimum, he is undermining the coach and completely out of line, or his facts are just plain wrong and no one has been "anointed" the starter?  This is exactly the type of dumb contradictory communications coach was brought in to stymie.  If anyone is "sure" that "Simba" is the starter after putting up some of the worst stats of any quarterback in the NFL last year they need to have their head checked..  Oh Doug ....

Re: Doug Williams

IDK Maybe this is a case of Good cop Bad Cop? Someone’s got to go ahead and wrap their arms around the kid, give him some reassurance. The coaches and fan base sure haven’t done so, the way other organizations bring the full force of an organization and Back their guy. It is kind of his role.

I understand the prove it to me mentality and do not disagree, to a point, but it can’t only be the Stick.  Until he assumes the mantle gotta give him some carrots too. Just a thought.

11 hours ago, ggarriso said:

Doug Williams needs to shut his trap, seriously he makes a fool of himself every time he opens his mouth, he is a liability who is being kept around out of charity and legacy and not what he offers the organization.  What happened to there being a one voice, coach centric culture?  At minimum, he is undermining the coach and completely out of line, or his facts are just plain wrong and no one has been "anointed" the starter?  This is exactly the type of dumb contradictory communications coach was brought in to stymie.  If anyone is "sure" that "Simba" is the starter after putting up some of the worst stats of any quarterback in the NFL last year they need to have their head checked..  Oh Doug ....

Just plain damn silly post!

Whats the difference between what Doug says here and what Coach has said publicly? I know coach said he likes Haskins and he needs to see him put the work in and be a leader. And what Doug said was he needs to put the work in and not let go of the starting position. So whats the big deal? 

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Wouldn't shock me if Williams is let go in a post draft purge of certain FO people.

Why?

Just now, Llevron said:

Whats the difference between what Doug says here and what Coach has said publicly? I know coach said he likes Haskins and he needs to see him put the work in and be a leader. And what Doug said was he needs to put the work in and not let go of the starting position. So whats the big deal? 

There isn't any.

52 minutes ago, arftech said:

There isn't any.

If you cant see the difference in the messaging between Coach (<paraphase>Hey, Alex is in the building too, we are going to see what we got and go from there, best man wins) and Doug (<paraphrasing> I think this coaching staff KNOWS DH is the starter here) I dont know what to tell you.  If its a good cop bad cop skit as alluded to above - and I've stated this before - if we drafted someone so mentally immature and unstable that they have to play these constant mental games, then we def made a huge mistake (spoiler alert, we made a HUGE mistake)

25 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

If you cant see the difference in the messaging between Coach (<paraphase>Hey, Alex is in the building too, we are going to see what we got and go from there, best man wins) and Doug (<paraphrasing> I think this coaching staff KNOWS DH is the starter here) I dont know what to tell you.  If its a good cop bad cop skit as alluded to above - and I've stated this before - if we drafted someone so mentally immature and unstable that they have to play these constant mental games, then we def made a huge mistake (spoiler alert, we made a HUGE mistake)

No one is counting on Alex Smith at this point. 

Right now, Haskins is the only active quarterback on the roster. He IS the quarterback by default. That will very likely change very soon. But the job is currently his to lose. I see no difference in the message unless you are actively looking for reasons to get fired up. 

Well, if you are tied up on Doug saying that - the starting QB of the Washington Redskins is the starting QB of the Washington Redskins - then im not sure what I can say that would make you feel any better about that. Its a factual statement. There has been no change on the depth chart since the end of the season. The staff would know that, since its their job. I mean, its literally his job currently. 

5 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Re: Doug Williams

IDK Maybe this is a case of Good cop Bad Cop? Someone’s got to go ahead and wrap their arms around the kid, give him some reassurance. The coaches and fan base sure haven’t done so, the way other organizations bring the full force of an organization and Back their guy. It is kind of his role.

I understand the prove it to me mentality and do not disagree, to a point, but it can’t only be the Stick.  Until he assumes the mantle gotta give him some carrots too. Just a thought.

This is the NFL pal, you have to earn it. The game has changed and no one is going to sit through losing game after losing game and give Haskins a pass because he is  young, raw,growing ect ect. QB's today are expected to come in and LEAD/Produce right away . Haskins had some real stinkers and some real atrocious play last year not to mention his unprofessional behavior on the sidelines taking selfies mid game and post game boasting of how he "finishes games" or whatever asinine quote he made. 

With all that said I'm not ready to throw in the towel on #7 (PS if you are going to ask for the number you better not **** all over it and make yourself look foolish)   I Am very eager to see how Ron Rivera mentors "simba" Rivera did a hell of job with Cam Newton who was also a very "me first" oriented player and the Panthers were always competitive.  I think Haskins has all the tools to be great but he needs to put in the work and be focused on football and not the spotlight which isn't a easy thing to do playing QB for the Washington Redskins. 

We’ve witnessed Haskins be braggadocio when the team won and he had a below to average game individually. I actually appreciated this fact and thought it was great sign to how he may be wired and team oriented. Don’t yet have conviction on this point, but it appears the dude is all about winning.

This is not a given for all QBs, in my opinion. To genuinely feel good about a win or be pissed when losing, no matter the individual performance. 

@JoeJacobyHOForRIOT

thanks for your insights Pal!

I was proposing a possibility as to why Doug said what he said.  Not necessarily what or how I feel about it. But if you think it through a bit, you see all the teams not verbally and through their actions committing to the 1st round rookies after they’ve started all of 7 games. Right? Nah man. 

IMO we as a org need to get behind the kid, way more than we have. Just my take.

To me what Doug and Rivera are doing makes perfect sense. 

With Haskins at least IMO, there is almost no ambiguity as for what they are thinking.  I'd put it at 99% IMO considering EVERY beat guy converges on the same point with the exception of Sheehan who accedes that the point had validity in the past but not so much now.  But they all have variations of this same story with different angles.  And it's never really gone away.  Towards the end of the season they said it improved dramatically but not to the extent where they are completely assured about the topic. 

IMO it looks clear that:

A.  They have more confidence than ever in Haskins' ability.  They think he can be the dude.

B.  There are some lingering doubts about his work ethic

C.  They want to egg on that motivation to feed his competitiveness.

D.  There is a feeling that if Haskins really works it he can be special.  So they are going to try to push it.

I was listening to Keim today who referred to one of his podcasts which I have to catch up to and if I heard him right, Keim got a story from his Ohio State contacts about Haskins was actually even made fun of in the QB room by the other QBs including Burrow for not knowing the playbook when he wasn't the starter.  But once he got the starting job he crammed hard and worked it.  And the rest is history. 

It seems like the same story here.   So you don't want Haskins too comfortable.  And now he has to learn a new playbook all over again so they want him to be on edge and study it hard.

As Keim among others explained, it's not that Haskins is lazy but that he's not a workaholic in the mode of the typical NFL QB and they want to get him there.  

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As Keim among others explained, it's not that Haskins is lazy but that he's not a workaholic in the mode of the typical NFL QB and they want to get him there. 

I’d suggest that would technically make him a lazy NFL QB.....

37 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’d suggest that would technically make him a lazy NFL QB.....

The most positive picture painted is Dwayne is young and has to learn what it takes to prepare in the NFL.  But there are things to feel optimistic about as to his intangibles because he's a nice guy, liked by teammates and he does listen to Doug among others.  So the impression I get is there is some optimism that Dwayne can be pushed into the work habits that they'd like to see.  And considering he improved on that front exponentially that the progress could just keep coming and if he does so -- he has all the talent to develop into being a top flight QB.

I don't get the impression they think the verdict is in about Dwayne's habits one way or another.  

The thing about the Peterson thing earlier in the season.  According to multiple beat reporters what Adrian said there were also other players who privately expressed the same thing to them.  It was coaches, people in the front office and players echoing same thing.   Peterson tried to play it down publicly once it came out.  But at least according to some that was the sentiment by various people.

https://thespun.com/nfl/report-adrian-peterson-criticized-dwayne-haskins-over-knowledge-of-redskins-playbook-after-vikings-game

According to a report from NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo, running back Adrian Peterson called out Haskins after the game. Peterson reportedly told Haskins to “learn these plays, everybody thinks that you don’t know them, you’re proving them right. It’s time to study the playbook.”

That's the negative.  But the positive is Haskins really looked great in the last two games and worked harder.  I recall one beat guy (forgetting whom) said that Haskins told one of his teammates he sees the value of taking some work home with him, etc.  So Haskins might very well be on the right track.  But its clear from Rivera and Doug's statements and various narratives from beat guys that they want to see Dwayne kill it this off season and work it really hard.  And at least based on what Dwayne has said thus far, it looks like he's on the right track on that front.  Will see. 

My gut is these motivational tactics will work and Dwayne works hard.  I think he's a competitive dude and that will ultimately fuel him.  But I got no problem with Doug's statement and Rivera's comments and Turner's.  They are all basically in different ways sending the message to Dwayne -- if you really work it dude -- you will be the guy here for a long time.     

https://www.redskins.com/news/five-takeaways-redskins-offensive-coordinator-scott-turner-conference-call

3. Turner wants Dwayne Haskins to be the "most committed guy in the building."

As the quarterbacks coach for the Carolina Panthers last season, Turner evaluated Haskins throughout the draft process and had him rated "pretty high" coming out of Ohio State.

All of the physical tools were there, Turner said; it was more a matter of experience. After all, Haskins joined the Redskins with just one year as a college starter.

For Turner, those assessments still hold true following Haskins' first NFL season. He thought Haskins improved throughout the year, but the 15th overall pick still only started seven games after playing sparingly the first half of the season.

With more experience, Turner believes Haskins could be a "really good player." Whether that happens or not will come down to his commitment level.

Regardless of physical attributes, Turner said the starting quarterback needs to be the "most committed guy in the building." That's who Cam Newton was in Carolina when he won Rookie of the Year in 2011. It's who Teddy Bridgewater was with the Minnesota Vikings when he set several franchise records as a rookie in 2014 and made the Pro Bowl a year later.

Turner and his coaching staff will challenge Haskins to assume a similar role in Washington.

Turner and his coaching staff will challenge Haskins to assume a similar role in Washington.

"If you're the last guy in, the first guy to leave, you don't have a mastery of the offense as a quarterback. If you try to tell somebody else what to do or try to step into a leadership-type role, it is not going to work and no one is going to listen to you," Turner said. "The quarterback has to spend his time so he knows the offense better than anybody. He has to know it like a coach and he has to be able to present that on the field and present that confidence when he is running the show. That takes work to get to that and guys see it. Guys see when it is there and guys see when it is not."

15 hours ago, Llevron said:

Whats the difference between what Doug says here and what Coach has said publicly? 

B3918011-3517-4AC0-AB55-734648932339.gif

4 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I’ll let you guys comment.  Apparently Haskins “has no weapons, and the redskins have ruined his career.”

Not a good day for the humans.

Archived