Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, crabbypatty said:

Haskins flaws, while large, are nowhere near as bad. The guy needs a fire lit under his ass no question, but he's never been viewed as a knucklehead low character guy.

My point was if Ron can deal with a personality like Cam's and get him into the right mindset and away from trouble (where he was headed) then he can surely work wonders with Haskins.

I think Rivera, Doug, Alex the whole crew have a good chance to get Haskins right.  I am just not banking on it for sure considering guys like Keim among others have suggested that those at Redskins Park aren't 100% sure about it themselves.  

It doesn't sound like there is much if any concern about Haskins' talent.  It seems to be all maturity-work ethic related.    And while I think a dude like Clinton Portis could be an excellent RB in spite of having a rep of not being the hardest worker off the field versus lets say Peterson who apparently works like a madman.  Many say a QB can't be that successful over the long haul with that Portis style approach.  I read Arians' book about QBs and he goes in detail about how critical it is for QB's to be maniacs as far as their work ethic let alone just average.   His point is consistency in play is fostered by constantly honing your craft and if you aren't studying the opponent's defense as much as you should then eventually defensive coordinators who do put in the time are going to outwit those QBs.

Personally, I like how Haskins ended the season.  And I am far from throwing in the towel about Haskins' maturity but I want to see it all play out before I relax about it as if its a non issue.   

As for Cam I recall the maturity stuff but don't recall people questioning his work ethic, though maybe i missed it. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82077e7e/article/panthers-no-1-pick-newton-i-dont-bring-race-into-the-game

I'd say he's a workaholic," Panthers cornerback Captain Munnerlyn recently told the Mobile Press-Register. "I didn't think he could throw at first, but I was wrong. I watched him in the 7-on-7 drills (during player-only workouts), and he looks great. He's a big dude and a great athlete. I hope we can make something happen with him."

https://www.norwichbulletin.com/sports/20160206/hard-work-put-cam-newton-in-this-position

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Cam Newton didn’t just stumble into becoming the NFL’s best player.

Sure, he has all the physical attributes any quarterback could ask for — he’s 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds of muscle with a strong arm and wide receiver speed. He even has a million-dollar smile and the confidence of a player who has always been a winner.

But those in the Panthers organization say what people don’t see is what Newton has done behind the scenes to improve as a pro quarterback.

“People see him smiling, giving footballs away and dancing, but what they don’t see is that throughout the workweek the guy is just a machine,” center Ryan Kalil said. “He’s incredible with the time he puts in.”

That’s right, Newton is a film room junkie.

2 hours ago, dyst said:

@goskins10 yes definitely goes both ways. For Haskins, I wasn’t impressed but he did play with a banged up offensive line, no TE, rookie WRs, incompetent coaching, an awful defense who couldn’t help him and disfunction at top, so I guess I am willing to see what he does under new leadership but I am not willing to wait years for him to develop, show leadership or that special factor that some players have.

Agree 100%, I am not sold on Haskins as the long term solution. But i do think he has earned another season. 

Let's say for argument sake, they take Tua at #2. I do not want another Kirk/RGIII situation. I guess that goes even if they trade down. Any decision to take a QB any higher than the 5th rd to be would have to be accompanied by moving Haskins out. 

10 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Lmao then the NFL would step in. If they break a trade agreement and don't hold their end of the bargain I'm pretty sure they'll get docked draft picks in the future. 

Not possible unless they back out after all the picks have been made. What i am saying is they could tell us - yea we will take Chase at #3 and give him to you with a 2nd rd pick if you take Tua - but you can;t announce that trade till those players have been selected. So once we take Tua, they could just say - sorry we changed our mind and take Chase and keep their 2nd. Nothing illegal about that. It's not likely as they would take a hit from around the league but it may be worth it. 

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

edit 

As for Cam I recall the maturity stuff but don't recall people questioning his work ethic, though maybe i missed it. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82077e7e/article/panthers-no-1-pick-newton-i-dont-bring-race-into-the-game

I'd say he's a workaholic," Panthers cornerback Captain Munnerlyn recently told the Mobile Press-Register. "I didn't think he could throw at first, but I was wrong. I watched him in the 7-on-7 drills (during player-only workouts), and he looks great. He's a big dude and a great athlete. I hope we can make something happen with him."

I lived in Carolina when he was drafted and it was all over he place during the first two years how aloof he was and he didn't get along with teammates, thought he knew too much. He would pout if things were not gong his way. He grew into the hard working player he is now. But it took some growing pains. Not saying Haskins will return out the same way but I just think it's way too early to brand a guy. There were an awful lot of moving parts last yr in Washington. And he still managed to show improvement as the season went on. 

13 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not possible unless they back out after all the picks have been made. What i am saying is they could tell us - yea we will take Chase at #3 and give him to you with a 2nd rd pick if you take Tua - but you can;t announce that trade till those players have been selected. So once we take Tua, they could just say - sorry we changed our mind and take Chase and keep their 2nd. Nothing illegal about that. It's not likely as they would take a hit from around the league but it may be worth it. 

I see what you're saying but we wouldn't select Tua at all unless there was a deal in place. So if what you're saying is correct and a trade can't be done until the players are selected, then we would just take Young.

Didn't the Chargers and Giants have a swap plan before Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers were selected? 

The Haskins video breakdown was very good.  The reason I have hope in Haskins is he passes the eyeball test.  He has the kind of arm talent that leaves me feeling like there is no place on the field that is off limits to him.  It would be a shame if he doesn't maximize his ability with a lackluster work ethic.

1 minute ago, cakmoney61 said:

The Haskins video breakdown was very good.  The reason I have hope in Haskins is he passes the eyeball test.  He has the kind of arm talent that leaves me feeling like there is no place on the field that is off limits to him.  It would be a shame if he doesn't maximize his ability with a lackluster work ethic.

His pocket mobility is what does it for me. I think he's the best we've drafted in a long time when it comes to pocket awareness as well. Once Kirk and Robert were forced to move (if they even felt the pressure) most of the time they were awful at throwing on the run I thought. 

9 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I see what you're saying but we wouldn't select Tua at all unless there was a deal in place. So if what you're saying is correct and a trade can't be done until the players are selected, then we would just take Young.

Didn't the Chargers and Giants have a swap plan before Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers were selected? 

No, it was a handshake agreement only. Either could have backed out. In fairness, it's unlikely becasue teams do not want to risk being labeled as a team you can't trust. 

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

No, it was a handshake agreement only. Either could have backed out. In fairness, it's unlikely becasue teams do not want to risk being labeled as a team you can't trust. 

That was one of my thoughts as well. It seems like these owners and GMs have working relationships between eachother and doing something like this would get you blacklisted. I don't think the GMs would risk their careers over it. 

Let’s say, for funsies...

Burrow goes 1.

We tell the Lions, hey, I hear you covet Young. We’re set to take him here, how bad you want him?

That leaves Tua on the board at 3 (along with Simmons, Okudah, Jeudy, Thomas and a plethora of others. 

Plus we acquire extra draft capital. IF we made the trade. 

I probably wouldn’t. But I’d already be talking to the Lions.

”Hey guys, we know Cincy can throw a wrench in this, but it Young is on the board we’re taking him at 2. What would you be willing to give up for Chase Young?”

I don’t think Detroit moves up for anything other than Young. I could see a chance they go Tua at 3, though I doubt it.

Is Haskins + Young > anyone not named Burrow/Young + future 1st + 2nd rounder?

Im honestly just trying to see how dug in some of you are here.

For the record, unless the Lions blow my socks off I still likely take Young at 2. But I’m listening. Contently.

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I lived in Carolina when he was drafted and it was all over he place during the first two years how aloof he was and he didn't get along with teammates, thought he knew too much. He would pout if things were not gong his way. He grew into the hard working player he is now. But it took some growing pains. Not saying Haskins will return out the same way but I just think it's way too early to brand a guy. There were an awful lot of moving parts last yr in Washington. And he still managed to show improvement as the season went on. 

I recall some of that as to his brash personality or so it seemed at the time.  One of the articles about Cam being a workaholic that I posted was from early in his career.    I agree its way early to brand a guy but it's also not too early to voice concerns especially when everyone echoes the same thing just about.  I've followed this team for a long time and I can never recall a narrative like this, especially for a QB, it's unique.  Closest thing I can think of is Portis not loving practice, etc.

I have to admit part of my concern is just my own experience where most people I've worked with are either hard workers or not versus it just coming or going depending on context.  It's often an internal motivational drive where you got it or you don't.   Reading about Adrian Peterson, the dude wants to be great and works it like a maniac.  I recall a Giants reporter saying the coaching staff and FO people are privately delighted about Daniel Jones because he works like a maniac and is in the building by 5 am preparing.  Shanahan said on a podcast, he never knows for sure about what type of QB he's drafted because the wild card is their work ethic and he doesn't know that until they enter the building.   I posted the article here from Gibbs about how he judges a player's future success based on their work ethic including rookies. 

I've worked with a lot of the same people on and off throughout my career.   I can't think of anyone who wasn't a hard worker initially but then all of a sudden became a workaholic later on or vice versa.  I am not suggesting it doesn't happen.  Of course it happens.  But to me it doesn't fit the category of get out of here no worries on this.  Not saying you are saying otherwise.  I am just explaining my mindset on it. 

Piecing together the different narratives together, my take is I think Haskins work ethic has zero to do with Jay and context when he was drafted because there is smoke about the same thing in different settings.  Though I do understand the logic of those want to put it on that.  A dude who covered him in Ohio State mentioned the dynamic there was similar to DC.  One of his QB personal coaches alluded to it in an indirect way.  There was talk about it from scouts around the combine.  Eons ago, I posted some scouting reports and at least one included a narrative that hit that point if I recall.   That was part of Bob McGinn's reports who swears that he is talking to actual scouts anonymously in the NFL and those reports are sourced well -- McGinn is famous for his draft reports.  He had the most accurate top 100 prospect match to the actual draft. 

Like I said, I digested some of the Haskins work ethic stuff in the process of the last draft.  Like many here, I love reading draft stuff and consume everything I can get my hands on.  For Haskins, I shrugged off some of those concerns because he did such a nice job talking up how he wanted to be great and hyped how he was studying film in prep for the NFL interviews (and the criticism wasn't coming from many sources) so I shrugged off the criticisms as being off the mark.  Now, it's clear there was something to it.  Will he conquer this stuff?  Maybe.  I am genuinely if anything slightly optimistic about Haskins. 

My argument isn't about whether Haskins is a good player or not or whether he turns into the worker he needs to be.  I liked his play at the end of the season.  And I do think there is a decent shot it all ends well on this front. My quarrel is only with anyone who thinks that there is nothing to see here, and it's all nothing.  I've heard just about every beat guy say that the people at Redskins Park don't see it as nothing but its a wild card about the dude and want to see it play out this off season.   Even Keim who generally is very sensitive about spreading gossip especially if its the negative kind -- echoes this stuff.  Keim has explained many times he wants to be very cautious in spreading things he hears because his reputation means more to him than just getting gossip out.

Dwayne Haskins is still @greggabe's QB1, but questions about his ×maturity and work ethic have come up during the pre-#NFLDraft phase https://t.co/zAi6IkJhxr

— Pro Football Weekly (@PFWeekly) April 25, 2019

27 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Let’s say, for funsies...

Burrow goes 1.

We tell the Lions, hey, I hear you covet Young. We’re set to take him here, how bad you want him?

That leaves Tua on the board at 3 (along with Simmons, Okudah, Jeudy, Thomas and a plethora of others. 

Plus we acquire extra draft capital. IF we made the trade. 

I probably wouldn’t. But I’d already be talking to the Lions.

”Hey guys, we know Cincy can throw a wrench in this, but it Young is on the board we’re taking him at 2. What would you be willing to give up for Chase Young?”

I don’t think Detroit moves up for anything other than Young. I could see a chance they go Tua at 3, though I doubt it.

Is Haskins + Young > anyone not named Burrow/Young + future 1st + 2nd rounder?

Im honestly just trying to see how dug in some of you are here.

For the record, unless the Lions blow my socks off I still likely take Young at 2. But I’m listening. Contently.

or if you really want to get a ransom, Hey DET, give us your 2nd rounder and CY is yours.      1,2,3,4,4,5,7,7

sitting at pick 3: Hey Miami, give us 2 of your 1st rounders and a 2nd or 3rd  and #3 is yours 1,1,2,3,3,4,4,5,7,7

sitting at pick 5: Hey Raiders you like Herbert? give us 12 and 19 and he's yours                       1,1,1,2,3,3,4,4,5,7,7

You'd have #12, 19, 26 in the 1st, and a bunch of flexibility to move up or down as you saw fit

completely fantasyland, but if someone were inclined to wheel and deal down to the mid/bottom of the first, they could with these qb's on the board.

@crabbypatty I still think it takes a lot to make a trade happen. I bet there are instances when a team is on the clock and gets no calls. You have 15 minutes and the chances that two teams can sync on a trade it hard, let alone making it happen 3x. Granted we will have a valuable pick(s) but I find those hard to believe. 

But yes, actually if you are okay not getting Chase you could open with a fairly easy trade in which you swap 2/3. Then you have demand for 3 with Tua there. But after that it’s tough to project out. 

#3 and their 2nd from Detroit for Chase. 5/18/39 from Miami for 3. 

Picks at 5/18/35/39/66 to start the draft. Very realistic given the likely value of 2. But still think the safe bet is to stand pat and take Chase 

I agree with Chris Russell.  Less fun and more work should be the recipe for Haskins to show the new coaches he can improve.

If i am Riverboat Ron I sign another veteran quarterback to make sure Haskins has competition in preseason.  Haskins did not have

4 seasons of football in college.  He needs to show a lot of improvement from year 1 to year 2 no matter what our owner thinks about him.

4 minutes ago, dyst said:

How often do players transition from galavanting to becoming focussed? You either are or aren’t no? 

I suspect there are a lot of people for whom the lights turned on. I know I was one. In high school, I was a lazy bum. It was all too easy so I never had to study or work. I coasted and got good grades. My very first class in college turned out to be a cake class (I always believed in taking one fun/easy class). It was Intro to Folklore. I remember everyone goofing around and joking until the professor came in. As soon as he did, everyone shut up, opened their notebooks and propped their pens above the page. I looked around and thought, "Oh ****. I must be somewhere real." Luckily for me, I took to that first cue.

Haskins I suspect was always one of the most talented guys in the room. Like me, he could coast and do great without putting in the work or at least without putting in as much work as others. When the stakes raise and the competition gets stiffer, we each have it in us to rally. The real questions are "Do we get it?" and "Do we want it?"

On 2/23/2020 at 2:48 PM, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Agreed....and on top of that, I'm not completely sold on his pro potential.

Its just a gut feeling... 🤔

Another day, another turdish soundbite from Burrow, this one on twitter. "Considering retirement after I was informed the football will be slipping out of my tiny hands. Please keep me in your thoughts."

He continues to make Haskins look mature and Aaron Rodgers secure..

7 minutes ago, skinbuck said:

Another day, another turdish soundbite from Burrow, this one on twitter. "Considering retirement after I was informed the football will be slipping out of my tiny hands. Please keep me in your thoughts."

He continues to make Haskins look mature and Aaron Rodgers secure..

Really?  Id hate to see what you would think about Haskins, cause that comment is about 1/10000th as turdish as half the stuff on Haskins pages.  Also scroll down a bit and its 95% team, WE (often capitalized), us from Burrow - Haskins is me me me - JB will be 3x the NFL QB Haskins is or ever will become , book it.

On 2/23/2020 at 6:18 PM, crabbypatty said:

or if you really want to get a ransom, Hey DET, give us your 2nd rounder and CY is yours.      1,2,3,4,4,5,7,7

sitting at pick 3: Hey Miami, give us 2 of your 1st rounders and a 2nd or 3rd  and #3 is yours 1,1,2,3,3,4,4,5,7,7

sitting at pick 5: Hey Raiders you like Herbert? give us 12 and 19 and he's yours                       1,1,1,2,3,3,4,4,5,7,7

You'd have #12, 19, 26 in the 1st, and a bunch of flexibility to move up or down as you saw fit

completely fantasyland, but if someone were inclined to wheel and deal down to the mid/bottom of the first, they could with these qb's on the board.

Now dont stop there

Hey pats...you want #12? Hey chiefs h want 19? Hey you want 36, 43,..hey you want 78? Hey you want 135? And let's jus get all the picks round 5-7. 

6 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

Really?  Id hate to see what you would think about Haskins, cause that comment is about 1/10000th as turdish as half the stuff on Haskins pages.  Also scroll down a bit and its 95% team, WE (often capitalized), us from Burrow - Haskins is me me me - JB will be 3x the NFL QB Haskins is or ever will become , book it.

lol..I'd think the capitalized WE is a clear giveaway that it's carefully planted and parroted rhetoric rather than any type of sincere sentiment!

1 minute ago, skinbuck said:

lol..I'd think the capitalized WE is a clear giveaway that it's carefully planted and parroted rhetoric rather than any type of sincere sentiment!

interesting take - I've seen a few douchey comments for sure from his "camp" - guess time will tell 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

SVP of Player Dev. Doug Williams on Dwayne Haskins:

"I just try to tell him what he has to do to get him out of that mentality that I can just galavant all over the place on the offseason...." + a bunch more!

Doug is officially our Sheriff Buford T. Justice, settin' these players straight! No galavanting all over the place on his watch! Man, when I heard that comment, I had an immediate flashback to ol' Buford T. in his patrol car talking about how Sally Field was out there poontangin' around. 😂😂

But back to Haskins..............he's got a competent, demanding stable of offensive coaches who aren't fearful of owner intervention or draft pick coddling. Rivera has already demonstrated the depth and breadth of the weight he carries at Ashburn. Haskins will need to do more than lift weights. It's mental preparation, film study......y'all know the drill. I do want to see some genuine competition in camp, not just for the sake of pushing Haskins, but also (and as importantly) to have someone we can confidently turn to if we need to.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

Haskins I suspect was always one of the most talented guys in the room. Like me, he could coast and do great without putting in the work or at least without putting in as much work as others. When the stakes raise and the competition gets stiffer, we each have it in us to rally. The real questions are "Do we get it?" and "Do we want it?"

That's what I am hoping for.  An Ohio State reporter said he wasn't studious as for mastering their playbook like ironically Joe Burrow was but once Haskins was thrust into the starter roll, he amped his preparation, etc.

It seems pretty obvious that Haskins has to prove himself to the new coaching staff.  Rivera is known as a being a discipline driven person. So I am gathering he's going to want to see some of that trait out of Haskins.  I recall reading for example when Brady come to NE even though he was a backup, he just worked like a maniac and thought he could overtake Bledsoe and he did.    That doesn't sound like Haskins' ammo but to your point he might grow into it. 

Archived